Leather conditioner, oil, cream to break in new holster? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Leather conditioner, oil, cream to break in new holster?

AGAF
06-25-2011, 18:12
Does anyone know of any type of product that you can apply inside a new leather holster to make it more "slick"? Something that will reduce the friction and allow for a faster draw without the firearm "sticking"? I've read about some type of silicone spray, but I don't know if that is advisable on leather.

BailRecoveryAgent
06-25-2011, 18:41
I would wrap the unloaded gun in a couple plastic grocery sacks and then wear it around the house like that for a day or so. I'm not a leather expert, but I've used the plastic sack routine on a couple different holsters with good results.

TheRogue
06-25-2011, 18:42
Grant Cunningham recommends (http://www.personaldefensenetwork.com/articles/tactics-defensive-issues/carrying-when-the-heats-on/) a leather protector/conditioner called Obenauf's. (https://www.obenaufs.com/)

Not sure that using it would equate to a slicker draw, but it seems like it should.

AGAF
06-25-2011, 19:42
I was doing some searching and found this. It is Galco's Draw EZ

Wonder if anyone has tried something like this.....

Bogey
06-25-2011, 19:47
I was doing some searching and found this. It is Galco's Draw EZ

Wonder if anyone has tried something like this.....

I'd feel a bit uneasy using a "home remedy".

Galco makes fine leather holsters. I would not hesitate to use their product if I felt the need.

All I have ever done with the two or three leather holsters I own is to holster and unholster the gun hundreds of times while sitting in front of the TV. No need to wear it.

kashdaddy
06-25-2011, 19:58
best method is to use two layers of wax paper with the wax on the outside contacting the leather and not the gun. wrap the gun and insert it into the holster. repeat the motion a couple of time and leave it overnight to impregnate and you would be how surprise it works.

kashdaddy
06-25-2011, 20:00
forgot to mention, its safe on the leather, safe on the gun, cheap and very effective. leave all the miracle and hoodini formulas :)

IndyGunFreak
06-25-2011, 20:06
When I bought my High Noon, the instructions said not to use any oils, etc.. to loosen it...

I took and just sat in front of the TV one night, just inserting/removing the firearm from the holster over and over, and it loosened up pretty good. After that, it just got better w/ time.

IGF

beforeobamabans
06-25-2011, 20:09
No, no, no, a thousand times no! Do not put anything on a leather holster. Break it in by working your pistol in and out. If you must use a break-in aid, wrap the portion of the gun contacting leather with wax paper. Once you stretch leather, there's no going back.

jdavionic
06-25-2011, 20:17
I would wrap the unloaded gun in a couple plastic grocery sacks and then wear it around the house like that for a day or so. I'm not a leather expert, but I've used the plastic sack routine on a couple different holsters with good results.

This is what I do too...except I just leave it in the holster, versus wearing it around the house:supergrin:

Seems to work well. I would not think you'd want it too "slick".

tactom
06-25-2011, 20:17
Have used Galco DRAW-EZ on 2 leather holsters. Works great. Applied twice to holster. Let it absorb between applications (5 minutes). Left no residue and big difference in draw from holster.

Edmo01
06-25-2011, 20:25
http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/large/164/164428.jpg

This stuff works on guns, leather, wood, etc... Just not suede. If you treat leather it will darken.

Edmo

DaneA
06-25-2011, 20:50
I put my gun in a sock (regular old gym sock) and put it in my holster for a day or so. All done...everything works great now.

reppans
06-25-2011, 20:58
http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/large/164/164428.jpg

this stuff works on guns, leather, wood, etc... Just not suede. If you treat leather it will darken.

Edmo

+1...

barstoolguru
06-25-2011, 21:31
wet the holster down and wrap the firearm in wax paper or plastic wrap and insert it into the holster and wiggle it a bit and keep doing that until it dries. go ahead and say it OMG wet it....... yea wet it down the same way you make one and form fit it to the gun.
I make all my own holsters, leather bags, saddle bags and knife sheaths for 15 years+ I never store buy...... I love the homemade look

John Biltz
06-25-2011, 21:35
Plastic bag overnight followed by a few hundred draws.

IndyGunFreak
06-26-2011, 06:49
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]wet the holster down and wrap the firearm in wax paper or plastic wrap and insert it into the holster and wiggle it a bit and keep doing that until it dries. go ahead and say it OMG wet it....... yea wet it down the same way you make one and form fit it to the gun.

That is the most ridiculous advice I have ever heard, and it's a great way to ruin a perfectly good holster. If it has worked for you, great... recommending that to someone else is absolutely ludicrous.

Unless they sent him a holster that was the wrong holster for his model firearm.. There's no reason to "reform it"... It just needs worked a little bit... Ever get a new baseball Glove as a kid? Easiest way to break it in, was to sit and open/close it for a few hours. Same mentality applies to a holster.

barstoolguru
06-26-2011, 07:10
That is the most ridiculous advice I have ever heard, and it's a great way to ruin a perfectly good holster. If it has worked for you, great... recommending that to someone else is absolutely ludicrous.

Unless they sent him a holster that was the wrong holster for his model firearm.. There's no reason to "reform it"... It just needs worked a little bit... Ever get a new baseball Glove as a kid? Easiest way to break it in, was to sit and open/close it for a few hours. Same mentality applies to a holster.

Like I said there is always one in every crowd. The holster was formed by wetting it down and holding it in place until it dries. it didn't wreck it then and it will not wreck it now. leather has a natural oil in it and IF you are going to freek because it got wet., oil it down

just a little FYI, I ride my m/c in the rain and my saddle bags get wet over and over and they are just fine. 10 oz saddle grade leather is tougher then you think. my 15+ years working with leather tells me so.

When I was a kid we saddle soaped new gloves to soften them but the best way is to use them

one more thing....... geeze I wonder how they got the glove to hold it's shape?............. wet it down and mold it, wet it down and sewn it to

IndyGunFreak
06-26-2011, 07:23
Like I said there is always one in every crowd. The holster was formed by wetting it down and holding it in place until it dries. it didn't wreck it then and it will not wreck it now. leather has a natural oil in it and IF you are going to freek because it got wet., oil it down

just a little FYI, I ride my m/c in the rain and my saddle bags get wet over and over and they are just fine. 10 oz saddle grade leather is tougher then you think. my 15+ years working with leather tells me so.

When I was a kid we saddle soaped new gloves to soften them but the best way is to use them

THATS THE DIFFERENCE.

You're giving advice that goes against the advice of every leather manufacturer, to their customers. If you're making your own holsters, and that is part of your forming process, that is a lot different.

IGF

barstoolguru
06-26-2011, 07:41
THATS THE DIFFERENCE.

You're giving advice that goes against the advice of every leather manufacturer, to their customers. If you're making your own holsters, and that is part of your forming process, that is a lot different.

IGF

Another part of the holster making process is the finish. Tanning or dyeing the leather locks in oils and repels water. Wetting the holster down one time and letting it dry is not cardinal sin. You never got caught in the rain with a gun on? Cowboys didn’t stop tending the cows because it rained and there leathers (chaps, saddle, gun holsters would get wet) no; they keep on working and oiled their stuff down afterwards.
Mfg’s are not going to tell you to wet a holster down because some yahoo will deform it and they will complain about it being defective. Like I said get it wet and slide the gun it and wiggle it a little as it dries it will retain the shape and loosen up

barstoolguru
06-26-2011, 07:45
Does anyone know of any type of product that you can apply inside a new leather holster to make it more "slick"? Something that will reduce the friction and allow for a faster draw without the firearm "sticking"? I've read about some type of silicone spray, but I don't know if that is advisable on leather.

in the old days gunslingers used bee's wax on the inside of their holsters to aid in a faster draw

BailRecoveryAgent
06-26-2011, 07:56
This is what I do too...except I just leave it in the holster, versus wearing it around the house:supergrin:

Seems to work well. I would not think you'd want it too "slick".

When people come over on holster break in day, I tell them that I like to keep plastics bags on me at all times with quick access. :whistling::supergrin: I only wear it because it seems to break the leather in in the spots where its needed when wearing it, instead of just stretching it a little bit overall. I haven't had to do anything else to it, the plastic bag trick seems to work well.

tag
06-26-2011, 07:58
wet the holster down and wrap the firearm in wax paper or plastic wrap and insert it into the holster and wiggle it a bit and keep doing that until it dries. go ahead and say it OMG wet it....... yea wet it down the same way you make one and form fit it to the gun.
I make all my own holsters, leather bags, saddle bags and knife sheaths for 15 years+ I never store buy...... I love the homemade look

Terrible advice, fella. You may use water to form a holster, but NEVER to break one in.

It's really not this hard, guys. Unload gun, put in holster. Leave it there for a day or two. If you're in a hurry to use the holster immediately, simply practicing drawing and reholstering the gun for about half an hour. The leather WILL stretch, and your gun will fit just fine.

NYcarry
06-26-2011, 08:00
I stick with the Galco EZ slide and time.

tag
06-26-2011, 08:02

one more thing....... geeze I wonder how they got the glove to hold it's shape?............. wet it down and mold it, wet it down and sewn it to

A soft, stretched baseball glove is one thing......you never want a soft holster. It will lose it's retention and become a hazard to it's user.

Apples and oranges.....you'd think someone with your level of "experience" would know that.......

IndyGunFreak
06-26-2011, 08:03
Another part of the holster making process is the finish. Tanning or dyeing the leather locks in oils and repels water. Wetting the holster down one time and letting it dry is not cardinal sin. You never got caught in the rain with a gun on? Cowboys didn’t stop tending the cows because it rained and there leathers (chaps, saddle, gun holsters would get wet) no; they keep on working and oiled their stuff down afterwards.
Mfg’s are not going to tell you to wet a holster down because some yahoo will deform it and they will complain about it being defective. Like I said get it wet and slide the gun it and wiggle it a little as it dries it will retain the shape and loosen up

Curious, if you sold a holster to someone for $60, and they called you and said their holster was tight..... Would you give them the same advice knowing that if they screwed up, you'd have to likely refund their $60?

Bill Lumberg
06-26-2011, 09:09
There is no substitute for draw/holstering with an empty weapon while wearing the holster. Plastic can deburr kydex (plastic bags), and thin hosiery can help deburr leather, but less is more. A quality, brand new leather holster should not be "slick" right out of the box. If it's too slick right out of the box, it will be sloppy once it's broken in. I have a closet full of high end gear, and I've never found it necessary to apply any substance to the inside of my leather holsters. Does anyone know of any type of product that you can apply inside a new leather holster to make it more "slick"? Something that will reduce the friction and allow for a faster draw without the firearm "sticking"? I've read about some type of silicone spray, but I don't know if that is advisable on leather.

wardboy5
06-26-2011, 09:54
When I bought my High Noon, the instructions said not to use any oils, etc.. to loosen it...

I took and just sat in front of the TV one night, just inserting/removing the firearm from the holster over and over, and it loosened up pretty good. After that, it just got better w/ time.

IGF

+1 luh my High Noon, and so do my 19's.

barstoolguru
06-26-2011, 10:22
Curious, if you sold a holster to someone for $60, and they called you and said their holster was tight..... Would you give them the same advice knowing that if they screwed up, you'd have to likely refund their $60?

If I sold you a holster I would tell you that same thing. Water will not hurt leather one or two times. You can try a lot of methods and I doubt if the thickness of a single piece of wax paper will make the gun any looser. If it gets too loose wet it and it will shrink w/o a gun in it

barstoolguru
06-26-2011, 10:24
A soft, stretched baseball glove is one thing......you never want a soft holster. It will lose it's retention and become a hazard to it's user.

Apples and oranges.....you'd think someone with your level of "experience" would know that.......

step back and reread the posts and you will see that I was not talking about breaking the leather but making it just a little looser. the other poster brought up the glove thing

one thing I want to add is that a lot if not all are reinforced with double leather or a steel strap along the top to stop collapsing

happyguy
06-26-2011, 10:47

Grab a can of Pledge or other spray on furniture polish that contains silicone and spray the inside of the holster. It has the same stuff in it that the little bottles of specialized stuff does but they don't charge you $20 an ounce for it and you can get it with a lemony scent if you like. When you get done you can polish the furniture. :supergrin:

I have actually used this method several times on holsters that were still too tight after the plastic bag trick with great results and no damage to the holster. It even works with Fobus (cringe) holsters that have too much retention.

The problem with relying on hundreds of draws to loosen a holster is that it isn't prudent to carry in a holster you cannot draw from and all those draws from a too tight holster can cause some serious finish wear.

Regards,
Happyguy :)

Bill Lumberg
06-26-2011, 11:23
Not for leather, as the OP asks about. Hosiery or drawstrokes. For kydex and other plastics, you're spot on.

barstoolguru
06-26-2011, 11:27
There is no substitute for draw/holstering with an empty weapon while wearing the holster. Plastic can deburr kydex (plastic bags), and thin hosiery can help deburr leather, but less is more. A quality, brand new leather holster should not be "slick" right out of the box. If it's too slick right out of the box, it will be sloppy once it's broken in. I have a closet full of high end gear, and I've never found it necessary to apply any substance to the inside of my leather holsters.

if you take your too sloppy holster and wet it down and let it srink it will fit tight again

hikerpaddler
06-26-2011, 13:48
If you do it right the first time, which doesn't involve water, you won't have a sloppy one in the first place. Lumberg was correct.

SuperSleuth
06-26-2011, 14:14
The most I've ever had to do to break in a holster was to put my gun in a plastic bag and leave it in the holster overnight, and I've only had to do that once. Usually just wearing it around the house with an unloaded gun for a week or so and practicing draws was enough to break it in.

I don't know how effective using water would be considering that many holster manufacturers put a synthetic finish on their holsters (I want to say acrylic, but I can't remember off the top of my head). The only thing I do know is not to use anything that could soften the leather.

I haven't used it but Mitch Rosen markets Lightning Leather, or Leather Lightning, or something like that. It's supposed to be a surface treatment that doesn't soften leather.

tag
06-26-2011, 14:23
if you take your too sloppy holster and wet it down and let it srink it will fit tight again

The only thing that can make terrible advice worse is to repeat it over and over again.

Well, at least it's all relative. Your advise is bad, the but Pledge guy is even worse.

tag
06-26-2011, 14:26
If you do it right the first time, which doesn't involve water, you won't have a sloppy one in the first place. Lumberg was correct.

Very good point.

tag
06-26-2011, 14:27
The problem with relying on hundreds of draws to loosen a holster is that it isn't prudent to carry in a holster you cannot draw from and all those draws from a too tight holster can cause some serious finish wear.

Regards,

Of course, if you have at least a lick of common sense, you break in the holster BEFORE you use it for your daily carry.

happyguy
06-27-2011, 06:51
Not for leather, as the OP asks about. Hosiery or drawstrokes. For kydex and other plastics, you're spot on.

I have used it for several holsters over the years with no ill effects. I does not harm the leather nor loosen the fit. It just makes it a little slicker so you can draw the weapon while the leather naturally stretches over time.

Regards,

Bill Lumberg
06-27-2011, 06:55
This. Of course, if you have at least a lick of common sense, you break in the holster BEFORE you use it for your daily carry.

glocker73
06-28-2011, 21:52
http://www.mitchrosen.com/product_line/miscellaneous/ll.jpg

I have used Leather Lightning on several custom leather holsters with no ill effects and it greatly aided the draw/break-in.