Crossbreed Supertuck Printing Extravaganza [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Crossbreed Supertuck Printing Extravaganza

Tranquillity
06-25-2011, 20:46
So I just got a Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe horsehide etc IWB holster for my G19. It prints like a mofo. Anywhere I try it, too. tried from 2:30 to 5:30-6. I'm super bummed about it. I love the holster, it's great. Just not having much luck with fully concealing with it. I should add that I'm brand new to conceal carry. I've tried the biggest shirts I have, nothing works. My wife thinks I'm being overly picky, and she claims she can't see the gun. Me, I'm a little more of a stickler.

Anyone else have problems printing with this? Anything else I can do?

p.s. I have a pretty decent sized tire around the ole waist, I'm guessing that's a pretty big (no pun intended) factor? Or are there ways around that?

DaneA
06-25-2011, 20:48
Where it all the time for the next 7-10 days. Then come back and report. Most of it is you being over sensitive. I wear mine everyday and one step up in shirt size takes care of it (from a L to XL). I carry mine around the 4 - 4:30 or so.

Just1More
06-25-2011, 20:54
A Glock is impossible to completely hide, unless you wear a coat.

CitizenOfDreams
06-25-2011, 21:12
It works for me. :dunno:

Keep wearing your Supertuck. Experiment with the angle (I had to make an extra hole for additional forward cant). Make sure your pants are not too tight (usually you have to add 2" to your regular waist size). Your shirt should not be too tight or too short either.

And yes, listen to your wife (just this one time) and stop worrying. The biggest part of concealing a weapon is moving and acting like it's not there. Constantly touching your gun or moving unnaturally will draw more attention to you than the actual printing.

http://home.citizenofdreams.com/gt/supertuck.jpg

RichM
06-25-2011, 22:14
It takes some time for the leather to conform to your body.
You need a good belt to 'snug' it into your body.

If this little thing can conceal one, almost anyone can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3oPw1WCYpU

Darker colored shirts with a looser fit work fine.
With all the cell phones etc that people carry now, a little bump under your shirt doesn't look all that out of place.

My wife conceals her G19 in a CBST perfectly.
I have no problems either although I usually carry a G26, I sometimes carry a G19.

I don't even worry so much about darker shirts any more.
Just today I was at the gas station, bending over, filling gas cans and I was concealing under a light green tee shirt.
And in New York state, you do NOT want to be 'made'.

Rich

By the way, rather than point you to another thread, here's a post I made the other day that may be of some help.
Adjusting the clips may help.

I wear mine at 3:30-4:00.

Far enough back so it doesn't look like a growth on my hip.
Far enough forward so it doesn't bang on seats or hard surfaces.
Even 1/2" either way can make a big difference.

As low on the belt as I can without making it difficult to reholster with one hand.

Enough forward cant that the bottom of the grip is directly over the muzzle so it doesn't protrude rearward.

With a G26
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p213/hcir100/Guns/IMG_2124z.jpg

Same holster with a G19
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p213/hcir100/Guns/IMG_2068_Croppedc.jpg

The Machinist
06-26-2011, 04:50
My wife thinks I'm being overly picky, and she claims she can't see the gun. Me, I'm a little more of a stickler.]
Take your wife's word for it! She can't see it, and she knows it's there, and is looking for it! The public at large is going to be 100% oblivious to its existence. I conceal a G30 in a Crossbreed holster, and works as advertised. When I first wore it, I thought for sure everyone would notice, but the truth is, I could carry openly, and I bet less than half of the people around me would see it.

Mudshark100
06-26-2011, 05:53
I have a Crossbreed along with the traditional box of holsters. The Crossbreed by far conceals the best. I wear it at the 3:30 position. Front belt bracket is attached at the second hole from the top, the rear bracket is attached at the third hole from the top. Holds my G19 very close to the body. During the summer, I wear darker colored Polo shirts or Hawaiian shirts and am able to conceal with no problem.

ptmccain
06-26-2011, 05:57
I bought one and promptly sold it. Not impressed. Way too little for way too much money.

Edmo01
06-26-2011, 06:18
So I just got a Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe horsehide etc IWB holster for my G19. It prints like a mofo. Anywhere I try it, too. tried from 2:30 to 5:30-6. I'm super bummed about it. I love the holster, it's great. Just not having much luck with fully concealing with it. I should add that I'm brand new to conceal carry. I've tried the biggest shirts I have, nothing works. My wife thinks I'm being overly picky, and she claims she can't see the gun. Me, I'm a little more of a stickler.

p.s. I have a pretty decent sized tire around the ole waist, I'm guessing that's a pretty big (no pun intended) factor? Or are there ways around that?

This is your chance to advise the wife, "Since the G19 prints under a t-shirt, we are going to have to add a Glock G26 subcompact 9mm to our collection for summertime carry."

Other additional comments to win your case...

"...we will be saving money since the holster will work for both pistols."
"...and we can keep the G19 at the house in case you need it."
"...look how cute this little G26 is."

Just a thought.

Edmo

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l223/Edmo_03/gun%20stuff/IMG_0529.jpg

IndyGunFreak
06-26-2011, 06:42

What kind of belt are you using?

swinokur
06-26-2011, 07:11
Lots of forward cant works for me. Puts the gun deep into your pants as well.

Tranquillity
06-26-2011, 07:11
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I will keep working with it, and I'll worry less about it! Gonna wear it all day today to help break it in too. Might buy a shirt one size bigger and see how that works too.

Rich, thanks for the great post. I actually saw the pics you posted in another thread and it made a big difference for my holster as well.

Indy, I actually bought one of those 5.11 tactical casual belts that were on clearance from la police gear. The sizing is weird, and it was barely comfortable sans holster. Now it's actually too tight. That probably has something to do with it too.

BK63
06-26-2011, 07:14
First of all I have both kinds and the horsehide is much stiffer than the cowhide which is much softer from day 1. It will take some time to break it in. You might want to try some of the leather conditioners out there and wear it for a while. The spare tire causes some issues I know first hand and when I drop a few pounds it carries much easier. You have to play with the cant and how high or low it rides until you get it just right for you. I like mine to ride lower with a forward cant. You just have to play with those angles until you get it right for your body.

IndyGunFreak
06-26-2011, 07:20
Indy, I actually bought one of those 5.11 tactical casual belts that were on clearance from la police gear. The sizing is weird, and it was barely comfortable sans holster. Now it's actually too tight. That probably has something to do with it too.

I'd say that is likely the problem.

5.11 leather sucks (or at least I've never had luck w/ it).

Golddog
06-26-2011, 07:41
My Crossbreed is totally comfortable and does not print at all with a CZ Rami. I have an M-Tac for carrying full size CZ 75's, and it is also completely satisfactory. Both kydex IWB's work much better than any of the many all-leather IWB's I've tried from the most highly-touted makers.

tag
06-26-2011, 08:06
Most new CCWers assume that everyone can see their gun. You'll get used to it. An IWB holster is the most concealable type of holster around.

Seraph
06-26-2011, 08:10

You can do this. Park that thing at about 4:00, with about 20 to 25 degrees of cant. Make sure the grip is sufficiently above the belt to allow you to get your full firing grip before beginning your draw. A good belt will improve every aspect of this, but you should be able to pull it off with even a crappy belt. If you didn't order the "combat cut," you should consider doing it yourself, now, before going any further (I don't see the point in their making this holster without it).

Because you're new to carrying, you're going to be really self-conscious about printing. You'll imagine everyone is looking at YOU. When you raise your arm, and turn your torso half way around, trying to check out your rig in the mirror, you pull your shirt tighter across the sidearm, which makes it print more. Listen to your wife. She's being objective.

BailRecoveryAgent
06-26-2011, 08:19
I think a belt designed to carry a gun on will solve your problems. Wilderness Tactical, The Beltman, CompTac, plenty of good options for gun belts out there.

Tranquillity
06-26-2011, 08:43
You can do this. Park that thing at about 4:00, with about 20 to 25 degrees of cant. Make sure the grip is sufficiently above the belt to allow you to get your full firing grip before beginning your draw. A good belt will improve every aspect of this, but you should be able to pull it off with even a crappy belt. If you didn't order the "combat cut," you should consider doing it yourself, now, before going any further (I don't see the point in their making this holster without it).

Because you're new to carrying, you're going to be really self-conscious about printing. You'll imagine everyone is looking at YOU. When you raise your arm, and turn your torso half way around, trying to check out your rig in the mirror, you pull your shirt tighter across the sidearm, which makes it print more. Listen to your wife. She's being objective.

I have it set to the most forward cant possible. At 3:00, you can see the whole top of the gun from the front. 3:30-4:00, sometimes you can see the gun sticking out at the hip from the front. 4:30-5:30, the whole back handle prints. I think 4:00 is best so far, but it still prints pretty good.

Boats54
06-26-2011, 08:45
I just ordered the Cross Breed holster for my G33 and hope that it will do good. I think that in the waist band carry is the best unless the gun is small enough to carry in the pocket. I'm sure looking forward to trying it out. I will give a report about it after a month of carry. That is as soon as it gets here.

Seraph
06-26-2011, 08:58
I have it set to the most forward cant possible. At 3:00, you can see the whole top of the gun from the front. 3:30-4:00, sometimes you can see the gun sticking out at the hip from the front. 4:30-5:30, the whole back handle prints. I think 4:00 is best so far, but it still prints pretty good.

This isn't a Supertuck, but a holster of my own make, on a 1.5" Wilderness Instructor CSM belt, and the sidearm is an M&P 9 FS, which is a little bigger than a G19. Nonetheless, you should be able to get a similar result with your setup. The front belt loop of my holster is up against the 3:00 belt loop on my trousers, positioning the sidearm at about 4:00. As you can see, the sidearm isn't quite melted into me, but is snugged up against me pretty tightly, and wouldn't be apparent, if I were to pull out the t-shirt, or if I were to wear a cover shirt. Are you getting a result anything like this?

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g111/Trisagion/K-25Images/WhenWorn_01_web-1.jpg
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g111/Trisagion/K-25Images/WhenWorn_02_web-1.jpg
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g111/Trisagion/K-25Images/WhenWorn_03_web-1.jpg

jeffyjeff
06-26-2011, 08:59
even if it's printing a little, very few people are staring at your waist enough to notice it. even those that do notice it, will think it's a phone or something else besides a gun.

don't worry about it.

Bill Lumberg
06-26-2011, 09:06
Something isn't right, because a 19/23/32 is easily concealed OWB. A supertuck is overkill.

Tranquillity
06-26-2011, 09:06
This isn't a Supertuck, but a holster of my own make, on a 1.5" Wilderness Instructor CSM belt, and the sidearm is an M&P 9 FS, which is a little bigger than a G19. Nonetheless, you should be able to get a similar result with your setup. The front belt loop of my holster is up against the 3:00 belt loop on my trousers, positioning the sidearm at about 4:00. As you can see, the sidearm isn't quite melted into me, but is snugged up against me pretty tightly, and wouldn't be apparent, if I were to pull out the t-shirt, or if I were to wear a cover shirt. Are you getting a result anything like this?

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g111/Trisagion/K-25Images/WhenWorn_01_web-1.jpg
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g111/Trisagion/K-25Images/WhenWorn_02_web-1.jpg
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g111/Trisagion/K-25Images/WhenWorn_03_web-1.jpg

Thanks for the help, but I'm not getting results like that. I think it's my body style. I was practically born with love handles, and my shirt catches on them automatically, hence making the gun the next thing my shirt takes a liking to. :(

CitizenOfDreams
06-26-2011, 09:26
Something isn't right, because a 19/23/32 is easily concealed OWB.

Problem with OWB is that it requires a jacket (ever been to Florida in the summer?) or a loose untucked shirt (some people just don't dress like that).

Tranquillity
06-26-2011, 09:33
Problem with OWB is that it requires a jacket (ever been to Florida in the summer?) or a loose untucked shirt (some people just don't dress like that).

Yea but even a loose untucked shirt doesn't work great, at least for me. Then again, I don't have the best track record. :supergrin:

Well I switched belts to my 5.11 tactical one, and I think the extra tightness is pulling the gun closer to me, helping conceal it. How tight do you guys wear your belts?

Bill Lumberg
06-26-2011, 10:20
OWB doesn't require a jacket, merely an untucked shirt. A proper gunbelt means you don't need the belt to be overly tight. No tighter than you would normally wear a belt. When you mention a 5.11 tactical belt, you're not talking about one of the thin ones that comes free with a pair of 5.11's are you?

Tranquillity
06-26-2011, 10:58
OWB doesn't require a jacket, merely an untucked shirt. A proper gunbelt means you don't need the belt to be overly tight. No tighter than you would normally wear a belt. When you mention a 5.11 tactical belt, you're not talking about one of the thin ones that comes free with a pair of 5.11's are you?

Nah, I'm talkin about the pretty thick "casual" belt that la police gear has/had on clearance for like 2 bucks. Not the best belt, but it's the best $2 belt I've worn! :supergrin: Eventually I'll get something nice.

Update: Tightened up the belt, messed with the cant, and boom, undetectable! Turns out, I lessened the fully forward cant by one notch, and it was just what I needed to keep the corner of the slide from jutting out in the front, and the butt is still completely hidden. It took hours, but I got it to where I'm happy!

Seraph
06-26-2011, 10:58

I agree with that, depending on how low the bottom of the OWB holster rides, and how long the shirt tail is. I like IWB because I like to be able to conceal a full size pistol in a low riding holster, no matter how long or short the the shirt tail is. Regarding the belt, I think people over-tighten their belts, trying to make up for a flimsy belt. With just a Wilderness 5-stitch, you shouldn't have to tighten it up so much that you're squeezing your guts into your neck. I wear mine just tight enough to keep my pants up, and just tight enough to keep my holster from moving up when I draw.

ohspyro89
06-26-2011, 11:02
I conceal my 19 just wearing regular Tees all the time. I've concealed wearing shirts that I think are too small too. I was walking through walmart with a friend wearing the said tiny T, and he knows I carry and he decided he'd ask me how often I actually use it. Of course, I was carrying, it made me giggle.

People do not notice as much as you'd think. How many times have you seen someone conceal carrying?

Tranquillity
06-26-2011, 11:18
People do not notice as much as you'd think. How many times have you seen someone conceal carrying?

Good point. Only a few times have I consciously thought about people concealing, and even then I'd never notice.

IndyGunFreak
06-26-2011, 11:20

I wear the same shirts for IWB, as I would for OWB. If your holster rides high enough, it's not a huge issue.

IGF

Bill Lumberg
06-26-2011, 11:26
Good. Unless you carry behind 9 or 3 o'clock, zero cant is preferable. It's only where the butt of the gun pokes out behind you (or perhaps makes sitting in a car or chair uncomfortable) that rotating the gun forward is indicated. The longer the grip and smaller the carrier, the more likely that some forward cant will be beneficial. Even then, only enough to reduce the signature of the gun. Nah, I'm talkin about the pretty thick "casual" belt that la police gear has/had on clearance for like 2 bucks. Not the best belt, but it's the best $2 belt I've worn! :supergrin: Eventually I'll get something nice.

Update: Tightened up the belt, messed with the cant, and boom, undetectable! Turns out, I lessened the fully forward cant by one notch, and it was just what I needed to keep the corner of the slide from jutting out in the front, and the butt is still completely hidden. It took hours, but I got it to where I'm happy!

michael e
06-26-2011, 11:29
Got one for my G29 and have not problem conceling. Im lefty and its about 8 ish on me, it does take a few days to brake in and get where its comfy. If you think its printing and your wife cant see it odds are no one else will either.

Snowman92D
06-26-2011, 12:56
]
Take your wife's word for it! She can't see it, and she knows it's there, and is looking for it!

Agreed...if your wife is as detail-oriented as all of my wives have been, she would be the first to tell you if it was printing. They never miss a chance to criticize whatever you're doing.
:whistling:

cfec2008
06-26-2011, 13:04
I just got mine in about 5 days ago, and I could not be happier with it. Its everything I expected it to be. Very comfortable. It conceals great with my glock 23, 19, and 27. Have not put my glock 22 in it yet. I even tucked my shirt in w it today after I got back from Church and it was very concealed. If your wife says she cant see it even knowing that its there, it is probably doing a pretty good job. Hope you come to like yours as much as i do mine.

Fedor
06-26-2011, 13:05
My Son ordered one Friday, it's a 5 to 6 week wait.

CitizenOfDreams
06-26-2011, 13:14
How tight do you guys wear your belts?

Tight enough for the pants not to fall down? :dunno:

Doc8404
06-26-2011, 13:20
My Son ordered one Friday, it's a 5 to 6 week wait.

that's why i went with a Tommy Theis holster...and then ordered C-clips from MTAC

RichM
06-26-2011, 14:07

Good work.
It can take a lot of time and perseverance to find the 'perfect' adjustments for you.

My wife originally did NOT like hers at all.
It took some convincing to get her to let me make small adjustments.
For the first few months she almost never wore it.
We finally got it 'just right' for her.
Now it's part of her and she won't part with it.

Rich

By the way, one thing I finally had to do for her was to 'mist' the back of the leather with water.
Then she wore it for a while with some plastic 'cling wrap' between her and the holster until it 'formed' to her shape.
I did that a few times.
That was about 80% of the battle.

Lockback
06-26-2011, 14:38

Chances are if your wife can't see it, nobody else can too ... because she's actually looking for it. Most people won't be that attuned to staring at your waist. :supergrin:
I'm not exactly skinny myself. I wear my CB Supertuck regularly, stuffed with my G36, with XXLT polo shorts outside my cargo shorts. I'm a stickler too. Yesterday morning I had breakfast with my in-laws. Trust me, if my mother-in-law knew I pack a .45 she would have a conniption fit right there at the table ... and they had no clue.
As has been said, when you first start carrying, you think you might as well be naked with your junk hanging out and everybody pointing. :faint:
But it's not that way. Most people don't look below chest level anyway.
You're good to go.

Tranquillity
06-26-2011, 14:55
Chances are if your wife can't see it, nobody else can too ... because she's actually looking for it. Most people won't be that attuned to staring at your waist. :supergrin:
I'm not exactly skinny myself. I wear my CB Supertuck regularly, stuffed with my G36, with XXLT polo shorts outside my cargo shorts. I'm a stickler too. Yesterday morning I had breakfast with my in-laws. Trust me, if my mother-in-law knew I pack a .45 she would have a conniption fit right there at the table ... and they had no clue.
As has been said, when you first start carrying, you think you might as well be naked with your junk hanging out and everybody pointing. :faint:
You're good to go.

:rofl: I could imagine a pretty big scene from a mother in law! And that's definitely true, I've been feeling pretty "exposed" carrying the gun. I guess it'll go away in time.

Just had my first experience wearing it at a very busy Walmart, food shopping for a good hour plus. Nobody noticed. Pretty interesting feeling, walking around with a hidden gun for the first time.

sigchaser723
06-26-2011, 20:58
I'm a big boy and I have to say first you are being overly sensitive to the printing in all reality you could walk down the street with it exposed and most of the public would be oblivious. Second if you really want to conceal learn to dress around the gun. The way you dressed before may not be suited to carry and may never conceal well for you but dressing around the gun will conceal almost anything I for example carry a 17 owb with an untucked button down casual shirt one size larger then I need. Is it the next big fashion trend? No. Do I have the largest gun I cancarry without a sling? Yeah :) . Because in the end I could wear anything and carry a mouse gun but I don't want to fight with one of those (hell don't want to fight at all) I would on the other hand be comfortable all be it unhappy fighting with my 17. Seriously dress around your gun and you will be good to go.

K1500
06-26-2011, 21:51
Trust your wife. Most of your discomfort is probably due to your new status. Give it 14 days and you will get used to it. You do need a GOOD belt for it all to work.

pens-66
06-27-2011, 04:13
Midway USA usually always have the Crossbreed Supertuck in stock. I bought mine not too long ago and had it in 3 days.

fuzzy03cls
06-27-2011, 08:15
3 suggestions as I have a soggy midsection as well.
1 - adjust the cant forward.
2 - get a good belt I like the CompTac belt because it's kydex re-enforced & will not stretch out like all leather.(my crossbreed belt stretched out & became crap in a year)
3 - Wear behind the hip. 4-4:30

IndyGunFreak
06-27-2011, 08:21
2 - get a good belt I like the CompTac belt because it's kydex re-enforced & will not stretch out like all leather.(my crossbreed belt stretched out & became crap in a year)

Wow.. That is very surprising. I'm no fan of CB, but most speak very highly of their belts. Reinforcement doesn't keep a belt from getting limp, proper design does. Plenty of quality gun belts out there that are not reinforced, and have lasted a long time.

IGF

RMD
06-27-2011, 09:55
Just had my first experience wearing it at a very busy Walmart, food shopping for a good hour plus. Nobody noticed. Pretty interesting feeling, walking around with a hidden gun for the first time.

Was it an official walk?

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q42/bmwbonehead/HK45/Walmarttactical.jpg

Tranquillity
06-27-2011, 19:12

I have done 2 out of those three things, thanks. Just have to pick up a good belt. I'll consider that one!

Tranquillity
06-27-2011, 19:14
Was it an official walk?

That is hilarious! :rofl:

I guess it wasn't official. Although I did look at larger shirts in the men's section, and did buy barbecue-related items, I felt too self conscious to wander over and buy ammo! I was tempted to though! :embarassed:

shellster
06-27-2011, 19:20
People have pretty much covered everything in this thread but:

1) Wear the holster (even without the gun) for about 10 days. It will conform to your body a lot better, and feel a lot better.
2) Play with the cant. A good cant can make a lot of difference.
3) You'll never hide a big gun completely if your small framed like me.
4) Your clothes make a huge difference. Wear thicker weave clothes, darker clothes, and make them a bit baggy. Get a proper gun belt or at least a thick leather belt to help hold the gun close.
5) Get in the habit of letting your hands swing down past where the gun is concealed when you walk, it will help cover any printing and cause your shirt to ruffle differently every time you take a step.
6) Stop being so conscious of it. When I first started CCW'ing I thought that anyone within mile of me would know I was packing. The truth is, that even people who CCW will often miss when you are packing unless they are really looking for it, or they happen to catch you at a bad angle. These people you don't have to worry about as they are pro 2nd Amend. The Anti's and the rest of the civilians don't know what to look for and won't even think about it. If they see the bulge and they have any thoughts at all, they'll assume its a camera, knife, or other pouch under your shirt.
7) While it's technically possible to tuck your shirt while wearing a SuperTuck, it leads to much more printing. Wear your shirt out, or wear a vest over it.
8) Wear your gun at a four or five 0' clock. It will help conceal the gun from the front, which is the only time someone is likely to be sizing you up.
9) Learn proper concealment mannerism: When you get up, make sure to pull your shirt down. If you take a coat off, set it to the side with the gun concealed. When you sit, twist your body slightly so that your gun rests back against the back rest. When you get up, if your unsure about the status of your shirt, sweep your jacket in front of the gun while you quickly adjust the shirt.

Hope that helps.

kmb
06-27-2011, 21:16
I began carrying OWB last week with a G27 in a Glock Sport combat holster (good holster, by the way, if you decide to try OWB carry without spending a lot). My wife laughed her ***** off while I was 'posing' in front of the mirror looking for printing.

Even with my $12 holster, I found that a small cant and position adjustment can be the difference between an obvious print, and almost no noticeable print at all. The ones who will notice are the ones who are probably carrying too.

kmb
06-27-2011, 21:26
You're good to go.

Actually, my first carry outing was naked with my junk hanging out. It definitely drew the attention away from my gun, but all the pointing and laughing hurt a little bit.

Hey...it was COLD in there...okay??? :upeyes: