Bullets to front or back? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Bullets to front or back?

G26AZ
06-25-2011, 21:51
Those of you who carry an extra magazine, I have a question. Assume you are right-handed, carry your weapon on your right hip, and your extra mag on your left hip. Do you carry it with the bullets pointed towards the front or the back? I use a Glock single-mag holder, and it can be positioned either way. I've tried it both ways, and can't see a real difference between them. Is there an accepted way that most people carry thiers?

Thanks!
John

Streetking
06-25-2011, 21:57
to the front

1glockfan23
06-25-2011, 22:01
I have tried both ways. I seem to get through a tactical mag change easier and quicker with the bullets to the front. Whichever way, practice, practice, practice.

harleyfx69
06-25-2011, 22:03
whichever way you choose just practice it .. and dont change

NC Bullseye
06-25-2011, 22:03
You'll find that there are both directions in mag carriers available, which ever direction you go with, stay with. Pick which is most comfortable for you.

AaronZR2
06-25-2011, 22:53
Pistol mags to the front rifle mags to the rear

Toorop
06-25-2011, 22:55
I was trained to go with the bullets facing the front. That is how I carry.

DWARREN123
06-25-2011, 23:00
Bullets to rear, this makes the way I reload easier for me.

cowboy1964
06-25-2011, 23:21
Most experts I've seen recommend to the front. I concur after experimenting with this.

With a horizontal carrier I prefer pointing down.

HarleyGuy
06-25-2011, 23:54
I've been taught that they go to the front.

Reasoning is that IF you're reloading in the dark, or under stress when you remove the magazine from the holder you put your left index finger on the tip of the first bullet in the magazine and aim your left index finger towards your right pinky finger and you're pretty much aligned with the magazine well on your pistol.

However, as others have already stated, do what works best for you.

MadMonkey
06-25-2011, 23:56
Front for me.

Mister_Beefy
06-26-2011, 00:15
Bullets to rear, this makes the way I reload easier for me.

same here

carloglock19
06-26-2011, 07:42
same here

Same for me!

collim1
06-26-2011, 07:56
vertical carry facing towards the belt buckle. Horizontal carry facing down with the butt of the magazine facing the buckle.

jeffyjeff
06-26-2011, 08:21
my mag holster only lets me carry with them to the front so that's what i do, though it's really to the left since i carry it at about 6:30-7:00~

banger
06-26-2011, 08:31
You guys are all wrong....

Blonds are much prettier than Red heads....

Seraph
06-26-2011, 08:47
I draw a reload with my index finger on the lead edge of the magazine, and use the index finger to ... index the magazine on the mouth of the pistol's magazine well. This requires that my magazines are situated with the bullets pointing toward the front.

Unistat
06-26-2011, 09:13
I've been taught that they go to the front.

Reasoning is that IF you're reloading in the dark, or under stress when you remove the magazine from the holder you put your left index finger on the tip of the first bullet in the magazine and aim your left index finger towards your right pinky finger and you're pretty much aligned with the magazine well on your pistol.

However, as others have already stated, do what works best for you.

This is what I was taught also.

alba666
06-26-2011, 09:24
vertical carry facing towards the belt ...

:agree:

jamaicanj
06-26-2011, 12:10
Facing to the front

G26AZ
06-26-2011, 12:23
Thanks for the replies everybody! It seems that to the front is more popular - that's how I've been carrying it lately - will continue to do so and leave it there from now on. I really like the explanation of "index finger on the front of the mag and aim it towards your right pinkie." That seems to make a lot of sense to me. Thanks again!

dosei
06-26-2011, 12:55
Bullet forward for me as well. I first started with bullet rear MANY years ago. But after doing some IDPA shoots to "wring out" my carry set-up, I found that bullets forward made reloading easier (especially when you are in certain "odd" positions and tight spaces). So I switched to bullets forward years ago and have never regretted it.

Mister_Beefy
06-26-2011, 16:21
I carry my G36 mag a 9oclock, rounds facing backward and hollow points down, bottom of the mag facing forward.

If the rounds were forward, you'd have to pull the mag backwards to clear the mag holder, then move your arm forwards to reach the gun.

with the bottom of the mag facing forward, you pull the mag forward out of the holder and turn your wrist and it's right there ready to go.

one fluid movement instead of two.

KiloBravo
06-26-2011, 17:19
I draw a reload with my index finger on the lead edge of the magazine, and use the index finger to ... index the magazine on the mouth of the pistol's magazine well. This requires that my magazines are situated with the bullets pointing toward the front.

This is exactly what I do to carry my spare mags and for the same reason. It seems to make the reload much more natural and faster for me personally.

IndyGunFreak
06-26-2011, 17:47
vertical carry facing towards the belt buckle. Horizontal carry facing down with the butt of the magazine facing the buckle.

Same here...

Most of my mag holders (Kydex).. Only allow the mag to be inserted one way, and they are all designed for rounds facing forward.

IGF

vafish
06-26-2011, 17:55
Horizontal carry facing down with the butt of the magazine facing the buckle.

Never used horizontal carry for mags. Having trouble picturing this.

For a right handed shooter is mag to the left or right of belt buckle?

Bogey
06-26-2011, 17:55
Any competition shooter I've ever seen (with the exception of newbies) have their bullets facing forward. It's a more natural movement to reload with less contortion of the loading hand.

Lockback
06-26-2011, 18:15
Front for me, although I've seen Rob Pincus say he does his the other way. I don't recall the logic behind it but it made sense.

Unistat
06-26-2011, 18:52

Right handed shooter, mags on the right of the buckle.

cowboy1964
06-26-2011, 18:53

Left side, just like vertical carry. I use it with pouch opening to rear and mag inserted top first and bullets pointing down, it's a much easier movement to reload that way.

I just find the horiz pouch to be much more comfortable. I can barely feel it's there, compared to vertical pouch constantly poking me in the side.

This is the Safariland 123. < $20 and can be worn facing either direction.

http://images.outdoorpros.com/images/prod/6/Safariland-123-18-2-rw-56164-66246.jpg

Warp
06-26-2011, 21:05
Those of you who carry an extra magazine, I have a question. Assume you are right-handed, carry your weapon on your right hip, and your extra mag on your left hip. Do you carry it with the bullets pointed towards the front or the back? I use a Glock single-mag holder, and it can be positioned either way. I've tried it both ways, and can't see a real difference between them. Is there an accepted way that most people carry thiers?

Thanks!
John

Toward your midline. Assuming you are right handed with the gun somewhere on your right side and the spare mag between 9:00 and 12:00 that means towards the right/front. This way when you grasp the magazine between your index finger and thumb, with your index finger towards the right/front, it naturally points into the magwell.

DOrth
06-27-2011, 19:31
I carry my magazines with the rounds facing forward in open top double case on duty at about 11:30 and generally a single case off duty at about 9:00. I know and work with several officers who carry their magazines in horizontal cases (I used to but stopped about 10 years ago), some with the rounds up some down.

I've tried mine with the rounds facing to the rear, but it was awkward as the dickens for me. I use my index finger to line up the mag with the mag well, it seems more natural to me to have the rounds facing forward.