ATF going after someone [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : ATF going after someone

RWBlue
06-26-2011, 09:44
I know the ATF goes after people who totally disregard the law.

That is to say, 'If you decide to make a machine gun at home without the proper paperwork you are screwed. If you decide to make a SBR, SBS without the proper paperwork you are screwed.'

I will go on to say that the ATF is used to go after criminals when they can not find any other law to go after someone.

But I haven't heard of the ATF going after someone for an incidental screw up in a long time. I mean the guy who filed filed paperwork for a 12in barrel and has an 11 inch barrel. I mean the guy who is one part short of having a compliant imported rifle. I mean the guy who gets all the parts before he has his paperwork back from the ATF.

I am wondering if the ATF has finally decided to spend it's time going after real criminals.

Liff
06-26-2011, 17:54
For a very long time, I have not heard of anything like this either. It seems as if they are looking at their view of 'intent'. Taking a grinder to certain parts vs certain parts malfunctioning/being installed incorrectly, for example.

Then again in 2008, I was involved in a grey area. My friend was the defendant. I was a 'person of interest' that had the ATF and local police visit me at my work, then again at my home. That incident has scared me into thinking, how can I defend this in court before I do anything.

So for me, now and forever in the future, It is all black and white with absolutely no hint of a shadow doubt or allegation of the presence of grey.

GunHo198
06-26-2011, 21:17
Few years back my home was broken into. I had an Belgian FNFAL G1 out that would not fit in my safe. ATF was called in and they took it as they said they could not tell if I had converted it to full auto. Originally the rifle was full auto before being de militarized, and cut in half. Then shipped to the US as a Parts Gun. I bought a US upper receiver and other new parts and rebuilt the rifle in a semi auto form. The original selector did still in fact click to full auto. But the rifle due to the Semi auto upper receiver, and the lack of other full auto parts. The rifle would not fire in full auto. I had a friend go to my home because I was out of state when all of this was happening. He saw the agent do several function checks on the rifle, and the agent decided he needed to take it for further tests. But when I called ATF when I got home. They told me they didn't have the rifle, my LEO did. I called my LEO and they said ATF had the rifle. I had to get a lawyer and FAX everyone from the States attorney down to my internal affairs of my LEO. Finally by the end of the week an ATF supervisor was at my home with the rifle with an apology. I asked him if there was ANYTHING about the rifle I should be concerned about, and he said, no it was fine. As a matter of fact there weapons expert was drooling and humping it when it came in. He said that the agents are not weapons experts, and they are only looking into what violations that might take place. Then there weapons expert at there office determines if it is fact or fiction. None the less, I got my rifle back and learned a lesson. Out of site and out of mind! Get a safe! Keep your stuff locked up, because its not always the bad guys you have to worry about, as often the good guys make mistakes too. By phone they had asked me where the key was to my gun safe. I didn't tell them where it was. Good thing or they would have taken all of my guns for investigation.

PromptCritical
06-27-2011, 17:31
http://www.firearmscoalition.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=228&Itemid=63

This is the last one I know of.

Basically, the gun had worn out M16 parts that were a known issue when it was manufactured. It wasn't intended to fire full auto, but it was possible with a malfunction if the selector was moved to the auto position even though it lacked the auto sear. In normal operation, the disconnector holds the hammer until the bolt is in battery and the trigger released for the next shot. In the auto position without the auto sear, the disconnector is held out by the safety selector and the hammer is allowed to follow the bolt home since there is no auto sear to hold it until the bolt is in battery. In some cases, especially with ammo using soft primers, the force of the hammer spring and the mass of the hammer itself is enough to activate the round. This is dangerous because the bolt may not be completely locked, causing an out of battery firing and possibly blowing up the rifle.

This will also happen if the disconnector is removed or broken.

The effect is that the rifle may fire more than one round. That's all it takes for the gun to be deemed automatic. Rumor is that the ATF has a bunch of soft primer ammo that they use for testing this.

To alleviate this risk, newer bolt carriers have a cut in them so the hammer will jam under the firing pin to prevent the "hammer follow" malfunction from hitting the back of the pin.

Moral of the story: Make sure you have AR-15 parts or properly modified M16 parts and don't trust anyone, especially the ATF.

mrsurfboard
06-30-2011, 15:09
No, the ATF has now become a vehicle to channel the anti gun agenda of the Obama Administration. Operation "fast and furious" is prime example.

Gunnut 45/454
07-01-2011, 11:12
mrsurfboard
I add to your post in saying they are now into the illegal gun trade! Breaking the very laws they are supposed to enforce!:steamed: