m16 parts in my AR? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : m16 parts in my AR?

LabTech
06-26-2011, 18:43
Is it legal to use FA parts in an AR lower? Obviously not a drop in auto sear, just the trigger, hammer, etc. and also the FA bolt carrier? Just bought a used DPMS with a Timney match trigger in it and wondered if I could use the FA lower parts I have to replace it if I choose. Thanks in advance.

MajorD
06-26-2011, 19:48
while the fa bolt carrier is ok, the fa lower parts even without having an auto sear are a no go- soemthing about constructive intent (legal ajrgon sorry) but having parts like the auto disconnector with the etra leg on it that engages the auto sear can be considered by some as not legal.

gunsmoke92
06-26-2011, 20:11
What MajorD said. If you put any M 16 parts in your lower without having a class III and the appropriate tax stamp, and you're caught, you won't even be able to have a 22. Best you purge those thoughts from your noggin right now.

fuzzy03cls
06-27-2011, 08:05
constructive intent
Unless you have a M16 I would dump those FA parts you have quick. As per the ATF even of you don't use them & have a AR lower in your possession it's still illegal.

JBnTX
06-27-2011, 09:03
..... constructive intent....

If you have enough M16 parts installed for the ATF to convince a jury that
you intended (at a later time) to convert to automatic, your goose is cooked.

Just one or two M16 parts, installed by you, could be enough to establish
that "constructive intent".

LabTech
06-27-2011, 14:08
Thanks for the input folks. Looks like the FA parts will go nowhere near the AR. That's the info I needed.

Javelin
06-27-2011, 14:23
Noveske uses a true M16 bolt as does DD, BCM, and many other top tier firearms.

I don't think I would even consider buying an AR from a manufacturer that does not use a real M16 bolt.

But that's my personal preference I guess. :dunno:

vafish
06-27-2011, 15:17
Noveske uses a true M16 bolt as does DD, BCM, and many other top tier firearms.

I don't think I would even consider buying an AR from a manufacturer that does not use a real M16 bolt.

But that's my personal preference I guess. :dunno:

just the bolt carrier with no other parts should be fine.

It is the combination of parts they use to.show constructive intent.

Javelin
06-27-2011, 15:20
just the bolt carrier with no other parts should be fine.

It is the combination of parts they use to.show constructive intent.

Awh ok. Makes sense. I believe that the ATF needs to go find something constructive to do with my tax dollars...

:rofl:

AK_Stick
06-27-2011, 16:26
Thanks for the input folks. Looks like the FA parts will go nowhere near the AR. That's the info I needed.

Though I'm sure you probably have to do something else to draw their attention first, simply having the FA parts and an AR-15 can be enough to be charged with "constructive intent"

Per ATF, simply having a AR-15 rifle lower, and a SBR or pistol length upper, without a pistol lower to go with it, is enough for them to call it CI.

jrs93accord
06-27-2011, 16:34
M16 BCG are okay. Any other M16 internals, not on your life. I have several of my AR with M16 BCGs. I had an ATF agent ask me why I preferred the M16 BCG. I told him that they were beneficial when it came to recoil control. The added weight of the M16 BCG over a semi-auto BCG helped the action slow down enough that I did not need to change the buffer. I do have M16 BCGs in a couple of my 20" ARs too.

RenegadeGlocker
06-27-2011, 16:35
Most AR-15 shipped from Colt, Noveske, etc., have 2 M16 specific parts in them.

RenegadeGlocker
06-27-2011, 16:36
Though I'm sure you probably have to do something else to draw their attention first, simply having the FA parts and an AR-15 can be enough to be charged with "constructive intent"

No, you will be charged with possession of a unregistered MG. There is no such law as "constructive intent".

B.Reid
06-27-2011, 17:31
Most AR-15 shipped from Colt, Noveske, etc., have 2 M16 specific parts in them.

What are those parts?

RenegadeGlocker
06-27-2011, 17:35
What are those parts?

An Upper Receiver with a cutout for the Auto Sear, and

A Full/Auto Bolt Carrier.

LabTech
06-27-2011, 18:22

Per ATF, simply having a AR-15 rifle lower, and a SBR or pistol length upper, without a pistol lower to go with it, is enough for them to call it CI.

Okay, so all the FA parts are now in the trash. No CI here Mr. G-Man. Keep walking, nothing here to see anymore.

Spike 7.62
06-27-2011, 19:19
nevermind, someone else beat me to it. Good on OP for doing the right thing for himself.

lawman800
06-27-2011, 19:31
The FA parts were all lost in a tragic boating accident. Out of state.:whistling:

Halojumper
06-27-2011, 20:43
It's my understanding (disclaimer: this is strictly my opinion. I am not a lawyer or any sort of certified expert in this area. Do not make any decisions based solely on my comments) that there is no amount of M-16 parts that you put into an unmodified AR-15 lower that will make it full auto. The lower has to be modified (I believe it's a hole for an additional pin). Remember, one of the ATF "rules" is that it cannot be easily modified to convert it to FA. If it were just a matter of swapping parts, it would not satisfy this condition and I'm sure the ATF would make sure those parts were not readily available.

lawman800
06-28-2011, 01:12
I thought the auto sear is the class 3 part that is NFA. The rest can be bought without the stamp.

cyrsequipment
06-28-2011, 07:08
Deleted

micdude
06-28-2011, 11:39
The Sear is made ONLY for the M16/M4 full-auto rifles, and is the ONLY part classified as a machine gun by the ATF.

:faint:

Wasted a good FA BCG

If one had a full-auto or burst capable (and fully legal) M16 or M4, with properly installed FA FCG components, and one then removed the FA BCG and inserted a SA BCG, would the rifle still fire in full-auto or in burst mode?

RenegadeGlocker
06-28-2011, 12:13
The Sear is made ONLY for the M16/M4 full-auto rifles, and is the ONLY part classified as a machine gun by the ATF.

Not exactly.

Only the Lower Receiver is classified as an MG. All other parts are just parts and are not registered.

B.Reid
06-28-2011, 16:03
[QUOTE=micdude;17556843)
If one had a full-auto or burst capable (and fully legal) M16 or M4, with properly installed FA FCG components, and one then removed the FA BCG and inserted a SA BCG, would the rifle still fire in full-auto or in burst mode?[/QUOTE]

No.:whistling:

Halojumper
06-28-2011, 17:53

Really? Try owning an M-16 lower receiver (even with no parts in it) and see what the ATF says about that.

CAR-AR-M16
06-29-2011, 11:36
Everything that RenegadeGlocker has posted in this thread is correct. You folks should listen to him.

Drew Furst
06-29-2011, 22:19
Not exactly.

Only the Lower Receiver is classified as an MG. All other parts are just parts and are not registered.

Okay, then I don't understand something. Are you saying that I can buy the FA components as long as I don't have a lower receiver?

If that is the case, then why do I always see "All NFA rules apply" associated with these components? What are the "NFA rules"?

What am I missing?

jrs93accord
06-30-2011, 01:55
Let's put it this way, the only FA part you can own without having registered MG lower is the BCG. Anything associated with the fire control group (trigger, hammer, disconnect, selector, etc.) that is not semi-auto is strictly off limits unless you have a registered MG lower. You do not want to get caught with M16 fire control components in your possession without a registered MG lower.

RenegadeGlocker
06-30-2011, 07:46
Okay, then I don't understand something. Are you saying that I can buy the FA components as long as I don't have a lower receiver?

No, the only registered part, which is an MG all by itself, is the Lower Receiver.

If that is the case, then why do I always see "All NFA rules apply" associated with these components? What are the "NFA rules"?
What am I missing?

Because those parts are not registered and anyone can buy them. But if you buy them, it is possible to have all the parts needed to have a MG, and that is also illegal.

Drew Furst
06-30-2011, 08:14
Because those parts are not registered and anyone can buy them. But if you buy them, it is possible to have all the parts needed to have a MG, and that is also illegal.

So, if I ordered an M16 fire control parts kit, I don't have to supply any paperwork showing that I have the MG lower to put them into? They would just sell the parts to me? (I understand that it is illegal to own them, I'm just wondering how the sale of these parts works.)

Thank you for educating me on this. While FA has always fascinated me, I have not invested the time or money to play with it.

RenegadeGlocker
06-30-2011, 08:20
So, if I ordered an M16 fire control parts kit, I don't have to supply any paperwork showing that I have the MG lower to put them into? They would just sell the parts to me? (I understand that it is illegal to own them, I'm just wondering how the sale of these parts works.)

Thank you for educating me on this. While FA has always fascinated me, I have not invested the time or money to play with it.

Legally you do not have to show paperwork. Some companies business practices require it. Bushmaster was an example of a company that would not sell without seeing your paperwork for your M16.

The parts are of little value if you do not have an m16 and can only get you in trouble, so it is really not a big issue.