Smoking hot deal on external hard drives [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Smoking hot deal on external hard drives

srhoades
06-26-2011, 19:14
Target has the Western Digital Essentials 1TB external hard drive on clearance for $35. Different Targets clearance their items at different times so some may only be $48, awaiting further markdown, while others may not be on clearance at all.

Also, you can occasionally find the Seagate 1TB USB 3.0 drives on clearance for $42.

I picked up 6 of the Western Digitals and 2 of the Seagates.

These have been on clearance since the beginning of the month so your best bet is to find the stores that have yet to mark them down and just check back periodically.

thejellster05
06-26-2011, 19:31
Wow that's ridiculous! Good find bro! Thanks for sharing

:thumbsup:

thejellster05
06-26-2011, 20:29
I ran out to Target to see what they had and while they didn't drop the desktop 1tbs-they had a 750gb WD portable for $59 which I went ahead and bought. I like the passports-we have 3 of them 250gb, 500, and now 750gb.

gemeinschaft
06-26-2011, 20:39
Awesome!!!

I am going to go check tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up.

Four Knives
06-26-2011, 21:41
Staples has Western Digital My Book 2TB external hard drive @ $99 or $75 with a 25 off coupon.

This is USB 2.0/3.0 like the 750 passport essential, but is standard sized and uses AC power supply, whereas the passport essential is powered solely through USB. I picked up one of the 750G Passport Essentials today at Target, but may opt for this one...the size of the Pass Ess is tempting me to keep it though!

http://www.staples.com/Western-Digital-My-Book-Essential-2TB-External-Hard-Drive-USB-3.0/product-nr_906287

Pierre!
06-26-2011, 22:41
I say go for the Thermaltake Hard Drive Dock for $32 and re-use your old drives as backup drives... or buy inexpensive OEM internal drives for use with this doc. eSATA and USB come with the $32 version on Amazon...

It's been working really well for me!

Got to admit that if YOUR Target has the 1Tb externals on-sale for $39 go for it!!! That's a great price!

I love back to school days!!! :cool:

c6601a
06-27-2011, 18:58
There are only two type of WD hard drives. Those that have failed and those that will fail real soon. Don't waste your money on this "deal"

srhoades
06-27-2011, 20:46
There are only two type of WD hard drives. Those that have failed and those that will fail real soon. Don't waste your money on this "deal"

Oh, my bad. Could you please recommend a hard drive manufacturer that makes drives that don't fail? Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

byf43
06-28-2011, 05:42
Oh, my bad. Could you please recommend a hard drive manufacturer that makes drives that don't fail? Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Pierre!
06-28-2011, 07:36
Seems to me there are only 3 HD MFGs now:
Seagate
Toshiba
Western Digital

Seagate and WD have been buying up MFGs... Toshiba is that last hold out.

So... What ever label you get, it's still one of these guys...

Patrick

solomansousana
06-28-2011, 11:47
Target has the Western Digital Essentials 1TB external hard drive on clearance for $35. Different Targets clearance their items at different times so some may only be $48, awaiting further markdown, while others may not be on clearance at all.

Also, you can occasionally find the Seagate 1TB USB 3.0 drives on clearance for $42.

I picked up 6 of the Western Digitals and 2 of the Seagates.

These have been on clearance since the beginning of the month so your best bet is to find the stores that have yet to mark them down and just check back periodically.

You aint woofin dixie. Here in the Hampton roads area I have 4 Targets that are close by and I check them at least twice a week. The other day I picked up 4 of the WD 1TB for $32, 6 WD 250GB for $9 each, 1 Acer 18.5" 720p LED flatpanel for $46 and a Viewsonic 22" LED HD Widescreen for $62.

At Blockbuster they had 90% off on all accessories and I picked up something like 35 Transend 2gb flashdrives for $0.79 each and 15 4gb Kingston Datatravellors for 1.17 each and the best deal I think was the HDMI Gold plated 25ft cables from Monster with gold connections for $4.99 each, those I took all they had.

solomansousana
06-28-2011, 11:49
I say go for the Thermaltake Hard Drive Dock for $32 and re-use your old drives as backup drives... or buy inexpensive OEM internal drives for use with this doc. eSATA and USB come with the $32 version on Amazon...

It's been working really well for me!

Got to admit that if YOUR Target has the 1Tb externals on-sale for $39 go for it!!! That's a great price!

I love back to school days!!! :cool:

Great advice, for years I've been removing the HD's from my old computers before I sell them, and buying HD's that are on clearance around town but until last month I didn't have a means to use them until I purchased one of those Thermaltalke HD docks from Dell. It accepts either 2.5 or 3.5 HDD's and now I've got a whole slew of backup drives.