New Toy for my AR [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New Toy for my AR

TheBelly
06-26-2011, 20:19
As a matter of fact, they WON'T hear me coming!

http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af70/thebelly925/IMAG0125.jpg

ETA: this is my first suppressor, so I can't wait for the paperwork to make it back!!!!

eracer
06-26-2011, 20:23
Normally, I wouldn't get this excited about it, but WHOO HOO!!

The reason is I'm still patiently waiting for my first suppressor (Osprey9) to arrive. And it's KILLING ME!

Congrats.

M1A Shooter
06-26-2011, 21:30
been eying one myself. congrats.

Lee-online
06-26-2011, 21:36
I too am waiting, for an Octane9 though.

micdude
06-26-2011, 23:46
4 month wait at my local shop

Shasta McNasty
06-27-2011, 00:00
sweet! what does a good suppressor run anyway? thanx

lookin4my1stglock
06-27-2011, 00:09
Got to shoot a suppressed AR, .308 and 9 mm at a recent demo day....rifles were superb.....9mm was overrated....made the pistol too long and front heavy

HAIL CAESAR
06-27-2011, 07:36
Congrats! Suppressors are the one "toy" for a rifle that is not a toy. And is probably the most useful thing to buy after bullets.

Glock13
06-27-2011, 07:52
What type of legal/paperwork constraints are there on getting a suppressor?

TheBelly
06-27-2011, 08:02

My state allows me to own them, so no worries there. Please check to see if your state laws allow a suppressor.

There's a form that you fill out and send to the .gov folks. When I say 'you' fill out, what I really mean is that you need to get your Sheriff's Office to sign off on it. It also requires you to get your fingerprints taken IN INK and affix a passport picture on the form. Include a $200 check, send it to the feds, and they put a stamp (literally, it's a stamp that costs $200) on your form.

They send it back and then you keep your copy of that form with the suppressor.

This is my first suppressor, so I'll report back with all the details as they happen.

Captains1911
06-27-2011, 09:19

Same as for any other NFA item.

boomhower
06-27-2011, 10:09
My state allows me to own them, so no worries there. Please check to see if your state laws allow a suppressor.

There's a form that you fill out and send to the .gov folks. When I say 'you' fill out, what I really mean is that you need to get your Sheriff's Office to sign off on it. It also requires you to get your fingerprints taken IN INK and affix a passport picture on the form. Include a $200 check, send it to the feds, and they put a stamp (literally, it's a stamp that costs $200) on your form.

They send it back and then you keep your copy of that form with the suppressor.

This is my first suppressor, so I'll report back with all the details as they happen.

If it's legal in your state and your sheriff won't sign off on it you can form a trust and do it that way. It's easy to do yourself or you can have a lawyer do it. If you have a lawyer do it get one that is familiar with NFA law. Here (http://forums.officer.com/showthread.php?107341-Taking-the-Trust-route-to-the-NFA) is a good thread on the process of a trust. I like the trust method for a variety of reasons, whenever I get around to doing an SBR it will be on a trust even though I'm almost certain my sheriff would sign off on it.

mixflip
06-27-2011, 11:56
I think its ridiculous that suppressors are NFA items. They make life at the range better for all, no hearing damage if you shoot alot or indoors, it makes the gun even longer so the anti's can complain about concealing them no more than any other long gun, and they are cheap to make relatively speaking (compared to all the other NFA items to choose from)

I want one!!!!

Captains1911
06-27-2011, 11:59
I think its ridiculous that suppressors are class III items. They make life at the range better for all, no hearing damage if you shoot alot, it makes the gun even longer so the anti's can complain about concealing them no more than any other long gun, and they are cheap to make relatively speaking (compared to all the other class III items to choose from)

I want one!!!!

Then just get one. And there is no such thing as a "class III item", only a class III dealer.

Captains1911
06-27-2011, 12:03
I've toyed with the idea of getting a 5.56 suppressor, but after hearing how loud it still is suppressed, I just haven't been able to justify the cost. I do have a Gemtech Outback II (.22LR) and it may be the best money I've ever spent. Suppressed and scoped Ruger 10/22s are about as fun as it gets.

BBJones
06-27-2011, 12:24
I think its ridiculous that suppressors are class III items. They make life at the range better for all, no hearing damage if you shoot alot, it makes the gun even longer so the anti's can complain about concealing them no more than any other long gun, and they are cheap to make relatively speaking (compared to all the other class III items to choose from)

I want one!!!!

Are you trying to imply that Federal and State firearm laws don't make sense? I am outraged! :rofl:

M&P15T
06-27-2011, 12:31
I've toyed with the idea of getting a 5.56 suppressor, but after hearing how loud it still is suppressed, I just haven't been able to justify the cost. I do have a Gemtech Outback II (.22LR) and it may be the best money I've ever spent. Suppressed and scoped Ruger 10/22s are about as fun as it gets.

I got to shoot a suppressed 14.5" AR a few weekends ago, and I 2nd your observation. You still need to wear hearing protection...just barely, but you still do need it. I can see a suppressed AR being very good for HD use though. It could save your hearing in a bad situation.

They sure do add some weight though.

I wish there was a chart for the different suppressors and their decible levels (not reductions.) That way, it would be easy to make an informed purchasing decision.

RMTactical
06-27-2011, 12:33
Sweetness!

fivestar
06-30-2011, 08:48
Congrats! I just picked up my HALO in April and love it. I also have a Multi Mount for my pistols. Money well spent, really.

Its funny that someone specified that the prints must be done in ink. 2 yrs ago when I bought my MM, a friend picked up a YHM 5.56 can at the same time. Both of us submitted our prints using the Sheriff's Office Live Scan machine. No issues whatsoever. In January when I got prints for my HALO, the deputy informed me that they had to be in ink, as they were crossing state lines...??? Again though, no issues. Who knows.

JGguns
06-30-2011, 17:00
I shot a phantom the other day and it was slick! They guy put some subsonic ammo and it was stupid quite. I videod it on my phone and all you can hear is the click of the hammer. It made me a believer I am picking one up hopefully wothin a week. Good thing is 3 lgs around me stock suppressor so besides the stamp I pretty much don't have any wait time.

TheBelly
07-01-2011, 08:13
If it's legal in your state and your sheriff won't sign off on it you can form a trust and do it that way. It's easy to do yourself or you can have a lawyer do it. If you have a lawyer do it get one that is familiar with NFA law. Here (http://forums.officer.com/showthread.php?107341-Taking-the-Trust-route-to-the-NFA) is a good thread on the process of a trust. I like the trust method for a variety of reasons, whenever I get around to doing an SBR it will be on a trust even though I'm almost certain my sheriff would sign off on it.

Very interesting link!

Javelin
07-01-2011, 09:25
Congrats!

Scratchthejeepguy
07-01-2011, 09:31
You should do a video of it in action so we can hear the difference and your opinions of it.

TheBelly
07-01-2011, 14:42
**UPDATE**

I just got my Form 4 filled out...well, as much as I can right now. Here are the costs involved so far:

$10 for the passport photos. I got them at Walgreen's and they took about 10 minutes. I did this at about 9:30 AM today.

$30 ($15 x 2 sets) for fingerprints in ink at the local police HQ. These have to accompany the paperwork to the sheriff's office. I had to use the local police HQ as they are the only ones in my area that still do it in ink.

I took the Form 4 and the finger prints over to my sheriff's office, where they had an additional form to be filled out. It's local to me, so it may not apply to your area. The sheriff's form simply asked for local contact data, and the last two places I've lived (only if I've lived at my current address for less than 10 years). They said it will be about a three week wait for the sheriff to approve this.

As soon as they get back form there, I can send it in to the ATF.

TOTAL COST SO FAR:

$565 suppressor
$10 passport photos
$30 finger prints

EXPECTED COST IN FUTURE

$200 ATF Tax Stamp

FINAL COST (expected)

$805

Time line:

March 2011 - paid for suppressor
June 2011 - suppressor arrives
July 2011 - paperwork submitted to local sheriff's office.....

TheBelly
07-01-2011, 14:45
You should do a video of it in action so we can hear the difference and your opinions of it.

I will certainly do that.... just have to get all the paperwork done...

Glockdude1
07-01-2011, 14:46
If you use a trust set up by an attorney, you can skip the pics, fingerprints and CLEO sign off.

http://www.texasnfatrust.com

:cool:

gators096
07-04-2011, 07:27
i went the trust route to get my aac evo9 for my H&K tactical, took a total of 93 days from start to finish. One of the local gunshops here keeps a bunch of suppressors in stock so waiting was only for stamp to come back. All in it was 956.00 for can, stamp and tax. my next one will be for an ar then i plan to build an sbr and will use the trust.

eracer
07-04-2011, 07:45
Same as for any other NFA item.Sort of...

TheBelly
07-28-2011, 18:29
**UPDATE**

I received my Form back from the CLEO. I'll get it mailed tomorrow with the check.