Thoughts on M9/92FS for SD and Ammo question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on M9/92FS for SD and Ammo question

osxg17
06-26-2011, 21:24
Hi MAS,

I would like to know your thoughts on the 92FS as a SD pistol? I have inadvertantly had the decocker drop when racking the slide really fast. Is this something to be concered with or do I need to practice more with it?

Which 9mm ammo would be the best to use as SD in smaller apartment with other apartments on both sides?

The last question is as to the 10mm, which ammo would also serve the same purpose as previous question around apartments. I also have a G20SF which sometimes is the nightstand pistol.

Thanks

Mas Ayoob
06-27-2011, 05:19
I think the Beretta 92FS/M9 are excellent pistols. Any auto with the Walther-style slide mounted safety decocker (Beretta, Ruger, S&W, etc.) is vulnerable to accidental on-safing with our American GI slide operation technique. Dave Spaulding aptly called it the "saddle technique" because the support hand rides the rear of the slide like a saddle on a horse. The straight index finger on one side, and particularly the thumb on the other, tend to push the lever down when the slide is brought forcibly back.

Two answers for this. One is Ken Hackathorn's, which is to incorporate a flip of the lever back up with your firing hand thumb as part of the manual of arms sequence of any racking of the slide. Another is simply to use the Israeli technique for operating the slide, in which the thumb is forward. The curled index finger on one side of the slide and the straight-forward thumb on the other seem to pinch that lever into place. If it was in "fire" position when you started to rack the slide, it will still be in "fire" position after you've completed that operation.

All sorts of frangible bullets and such have been suggested to reduce penetration through walls, but the fact is that any projectile(s) that will go deep enough into a large, aggressive human to stop his attack will pierce through typical sheetrock walls.

Best bet, I think, is a plan of action in which you'll ensconce in one place and wait for the intruder to come to you. This does a number of good things that favor the home defender, one being that you've pre-selected the confrontation zone and therefore the shooting background. If that background is vulnerable, you can turn it into a backstop with piles of book cartons, etc. up against the wall.

Not a perfect solution, but when we're talking about problems that have to be solved with gunfire, there ARE no perfect solutions.

Hoping to have been of help,
Mas

osxg17
06-27-2011, 15:38
Thanks Mas, that helps a lot!