Which pistol? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Which pistol?

Noles26
06-27-2011, 08:27
A little background, recently received my CHL from the State of Texas. I have not decided on which pistol I want to carry. The two I am considering are a Glock 30, and the STI Shadow. I have a family member who works for STI so I can get the Shadow for well under the $1370 MSRP. (About 1050$)

I have handled both, the STI fits my hand well, but the G30 feels like it would be an "easier" pistol to conceal. Speaking to my wife about it, her first statement to me was:
"Why would you spend the extra $400 on a STI? What's the difference?"

After thinking about it, i went into an explanation about 1911's vs Polymer guns, told her they're both .45acps and told her the grip on the SHadow felt better, but generally speaking I would TRUST my life to both Glock and STI.

Her follow up questions was, "is the grip on the 1911 worth $400" ?

That's where I am stuck, removing the name "STI" from the Shadow, and I would buy the glock. (I wouldn't buy an officer model 1911 that was made by Kimber, Colt, etc) For a carry weapon, is short 1911 the way to go?

IndyGunFreak
06-27-2011, 08:42
A little background, recently received my CHL from the State of Texas. I have not decided on which pistol I want to carry. The two I am considering are a Glock 30, and the STI Shadow. I have a family member who works for STI so I can get the Shadow for well under the $1370 MSRP. (About 1050$)

I have handled both, the STI fits my hand well, but the G30 feels like it would be an "easier" pistol to conceal. Speaking to my wife about it, her first statement to me was:
"Why would you spend the extra $400 on a STI? What's the difference?"

After thinking about it, i went into an explanation about 1911's vs Polymer guns, told her they're both .45acps and told her the grip on the SHadow felt better, but generally speaking I would TRUST my life to both Glock and STI.

Her follow up questions was, "is the grip on the 1911 worth $400" ?

That's where I am stuck, removing the name "STI" from the Shadow, and I would buy the glock. (I wouldn't buy an officer model 1911 that was made by Kimber, Colt, etc) For a carry weapon, is short 1911 the way to go?

Couple other things to consider here... (I'm not that familiar with STI, so bear with me)...

How does the STI stand up to rust? Are you gonna also have to try and conceal a can of lubricant to keep it from rusting, due to the Texas heat/humidity? This will be a non-issue with a Glock.

I love 1911's, but they can be so finicky sometimes. All of my Glocks "just work".. which is what I want in a concealed carry pistol. I know a lot of the Gen 4 Glocks have had issues, so that may also be something to think about (getting a Gen 3).

Given those two things above, or me.. hands down it would be a Glock 30, and no it would not be worth an additional $400.

IGF

itstime
06-27-2011, 09:01
Well that saved me a lot of typing.

I'm so used to poly guns being striker fired also. I shoot them so much more and I don't want to carry something I have to think about if I ever had to draw. (safeties)

Couple other things to consider here... (I'm not that familiar with STI, so bear with me)...

How does the STI stand up to rust? Are you gonna also have to try and conceal a can of lubricant to keep it from rusting, due to the Texas heat/humidity? This will be a non-issue with a Glock.

I love 1911's, but they can be so finicky sometimes. All of my Glocks "just work".. which is what I want in a concealed carry pistol. I know a lot of the Gen 4 Glocks have had issues, so that may also be something to think about (getting a Gen 3).

Given those two things above, or me.. hands down it would be a Glock 30, and no it would not be worth an additional $400.

IGF

HexHead
06-27-2011, 09:21
I carried a Colt New Agent as my primary EDC for a couple of years. I always had to wear an undershirt under my cover shirt to prevent the hammer from digging into me. With the Texas heat, you might not want that many layers.

My G26 is my default carry now.

Noles26
06-27-2011, 09:30
Thanks all, sound advice, loaded G30 it is.

GunFighter45ACP
06-27-2011, 11:34
Thanks all, sound advice, loaded G30 it is.

Wait, wait, wait! Have you considered the width differences of each? I'm not trying to trash your plans or either pistol, but I will let you know that speaking from experience, any 1911 will feel alot thinner on your hip, especially if you go IWB, then a G30 will. If you start & stick w/a G30 you'll probably be fine, but if/when you ever get to carry a 1911, you will definitely notice the difference & you'll start thinking Hmmmm...

Seraph
06-27-2011, 11:46
IMO, if you want a 1911, you should go with a 4.25" or bigger pistol (preferably a full size 5" pistol).

If you want a mid-sized Glock, I think the G19/23/32 is best size.

If you really like the Glock 30, go for it. It's reliable, and, though it's a tad chunky, I'm sure you'll conceal it just fine. For a polymer framed .45, I'd rather tote the M&P 45 Mid.

samuse
06-27-2011, 11:51
I wouldn't even want to try to conceal a G-30. Too big and fat. Get a 23 or a 19 if you want to go with a Glock.

My favorite 1911 from STI is the Guardian. Kinda like a CCO.

collim1
06-27-2011, 12:33
I wouldn't even want to try to conceal a G-30. Too big and fat. Get a 23 or a 19 if you want to go with a Glock.

My favorite 1911 from STI is the Guardian. Kinda like a CCO.

It seems he wants a .45ACP so I vote G36.

Noles26
06-27-2011, 12:54
Are the 36 and 26 similar in size ? I was at Academy yesterday with the family and held the G26. Doesn't feel right in my hand. I'm 6 1 220lbs. Big hands, I own a G22, G23 , STI Trojan and Kahr CW40.
Trojan is to large to Carry, and I'd like a .45acp. The Kahr 40 is nice, but the Kahr in a .45 doesn't feel right.

IndyGunFreak
06-27-2011, 13:18
The 26/27/33.. If you've got big hands, the biggest issue is the "hanging pinky"... Some people put magazine extensions on the subcompact models, but it makes them essentially the size of the compact models.

http://www.concealablecontrol.com/

Those helped me a lot on the baby Glocks. Gives your ring finger something to sit on, so the "hanging pinky" is a non issue.. I don't think the 30 will be as difficult as you think, but thats just my thinking. Glock 30 would still be my choice. If the 30 SF's didn't have so many probs, I'd go that route.

IGF

ranburr1
06-27-2011, 14:18
I have owned and carried a lot of 1911s over the yrs. Any STI would be near the bottom of my list for a defensive pistol. Their specialty is in the competition place and they must be strictly maintained. They work on a tight rope of ultimate performance vs completely cratering. I am speaking from personal experience and that of others.

1canvas
06-27-2011, 14:30
IMO, if you want a 1911, you should go with a 4.25" or bigger pistol (preferably a full size 5" pistol).

If you want a mid-sized Glock, I think the G19/23/32 is best size.

If you really like the Glock 30, go for it. It's reliable, and, though it's a tad chunky, I'm sure you'll conceal it just fine. For a polymer framed .45, I'd rather tote the M&P 45 Mid.

i was carrying a combat commander and wanted something lighter. i started looking at chopped 1911s and everthing i read was that they were a roll of the dice as far reliability when you go under 4''. i looked at the 30 but it was a little chunky for me so i bought a 23, a year later i bought a 27. for just ccw the 27 would do everything i needed but with all the bull about the recoil i put off buying one. i am really glad i got both.

vafish
06-27-2011, 16:20
If I were looking for a small .45 acp for concealed carry I would get another glock 36.

tuica
06-27-2011, 16:29
I have been very pleased carrying a G36 for the past two years. Good Luck.

Noles26
06-28-2011, 20:51
Follow Up:

On an extended lunch I went to STI today. Shot a G30 and the Shadow multiple times. Without further delay, I will be purchasing the STI Shadow tomorrow !
The difference to me was night and day. Thanks for all the input and advice.
(I'll still own a couple Glocks :) )

RRTX11
06-28-2011, 21:10
If you want a gun to play with, buy an STI pistol. If you want a gun to depend on when it counts......go with the GLOCK.

G17gen3
06-28-2011, 21:28
Glad you found the one you want and shoot well cause that's all that matters

IndyGunFreak
06-28-2011, 21:32
Follow Up:

On an extended lunch I went to STI today. Shot a G30 and the Shadow multiple times. Without further delay, I will be purchasing the STI Shadow tomorrow !
The difference to me was night and day. Thanks for all the input and advice.
(I'll still own a couple Glocks :) )

Hope it works out for you... Not the decision I would have made, but glad you made it and seem happy w/ the decision.

frank_drebin
06-28-2011, 21:36
Nice gun and all but after the newness wears off you'll leave it at home more than you carry it.