Anybody familiar with tennessee ccw? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anybody familiar with tennessee ccw?

dvrdwn72
06-27-2011, 09:16
Planning a trip to TN, looking for any current info on the ccw laws of TN, thanks

gommer
06-27-2011, 09:24
Planning a trip to TN, looking for any current info on the ccw laws of TN, thanks

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1158184

Best info I can give on CCW in TN is do it. LoL - especially around Memphis!

HexHead
06-27-2011, 09:27
handgunlaw.us

Or, what specific questions do you have?

Oh, and it's a HCP here, concealed isn't part of the name.

dvrdwn72
06-27-2011, 09:50
Looking around Gatlinburg TN, some research looks outdated. Mainly looking for up to date links and advice from those familiar with TN. I am looking to be around the Gatlinburg area. I take it its forbidden in state/fed. parks, and do no gun signs hold legal weight? I found conflicting info.

dvrdwn72
06-27-2011, 09:56
Thanks hexhead, handgunlaw.us, good info, its what I was looking for.

REA9mm
06-27-2011, 10:08
I recently visited Knoxville for a few days and I carried everywhere. Didn't see any 'no carry' signs at the places I went to.

Bill Lumberg
06-27-2011, 11:47
Tennessee is a pretty laid back state regarding permittees. Don't go looking for attention, don't carry where posted, and you'll be fine.

dvrdwn72
06-27-2011, 12:18
Thanks, TN looks pretty close to FL as laws are concerned. Except for those pesky signs.

nismochasse
06-27-2011, 12:41
it has been a while since I looked, but I think you are allowed to carry in state and national parks.

Caver 60
06-27-2011, 17:56
Here's another site.

http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_information.html

Of course the best thing is to actually read the states applicable laws on the official state website. Be sure to also read laws on the use of lethal or deadly force for self defense. They vary from state to state.

Seraph
06-27-2011, 18:00
I would add that, while open carry is legal here, with a handgun carry permit, it's not at all advisable. Beware that not all citizens, including LEO's, are fully and accurately apprised of the letter of the law, regarding our TN Handgun Carry Permit. Best to keep it concealed.

Bill Lumberg
06-28-2011, 05:39
With extremely rare exception, LE are plenty familiar with permittee carry and associated laws in the real world. It's only different on the internet. The same cannot be said for the average citizen. If you go advertising, citizen or police interpretation of your behavior or actions may differ from yours. That doesn't make it wrong, but it puts you at a disadvantage in certain situations, when you may least expect it. Open carry being legal is important, in that the permittee cannot be prosecuted for inadvertent exposure of the weapon due to movement, wind, etc. That is the value and the purpose, not to legalize "hey look at me" behavior. As previously posted, don't go looking for attention, relax and enjoy yourself, and you'll be fine.

HarleyGuy
06-28-2011, 11:52
Lsat time I was there (2 years ago) the only place I saw a "no guns" sign was when we were boarding the General Jackson SHowboat near the Opry Land Hotel.
It didn't care because I had left my hardware in the hotel room safe as I was planning on having a few beers during the boat ride, dinner and show.

When I'm in a state where I know I can legally care I follow the rules as I would here in Michigan. The only exceptions are banks, places that serve alcohol and state or city parks because some states and cites don't allow firearms there.

Also, even though I have never been "stopped" by an LEO in all the years that I have been carrying, if I were to be pulled over I would still "notify" the offficer that I have a CPL in my wallet and that I do, or do not have a firearm in my possession.
In Michigan, if you are a passenger in a vehicle that has been stopped by an LEO, and you are carrying a concealed firearm, you are required to "notify" the officer as promptly as possible.

GoBigOrange
06-28-2011, 12:06
I would add that, while open carry is legal here, with a handgun carry permit, it's not at all advisable. Beware that not all citizens, including LEO's, are fully and accurately apprised of the letter of the law, regarding our TN Handgun Carry Permit. Best to keep it concealed.

this is one person's opinion and not at all accurate.

I open carry 5-10% of the time and have never had an issue.

Ryobi
06-28-2011, 12:33
Very accurate.

GoBigOrange
06-28-2011, 12:52
Very accurate.

sorry but no.:upeyes:

DaneA
06-28-2011, 22:09
this is one person's opinion and not at all accurate.

I open carry 5-10% of the time and have never had an issue.

Very accurate.

sorry but no.:upeyes:

:faint: Really guys? :faint:

If you don't want to draw attention to yourself and find out exactly how the law works in TN then don't open carry. However, if you feel the need to be the center of attention please open carry and report back how your out of state license worked in this state.

Either way TN is a pretty laid back state. I've never been stopped and asked for my permit. I've sat and ate in a "posted" restaurants and am still here to talk of it. Relax and don't draw attention to yourself and you will be fine.

hikerpaddler
06-29-2011, 05:35
Seraph, Lumberg, Ryobi, and for the most part, DaneA, would be correct.

TF2Addict
07-31-2011, 18:22
Are most of the touristy places in Gatlinburg signed?

bigleaf
07-31-2011, 19:03
Are most of the touristy places in Gatlinburg signed?

A pretty fair number are posted... and it would be a very good thing if you honored those establishment's wishes. Only a few rules are important to the permit-holding visitor (of any of the reciprocal states) in Tennessee when carrying his personal weapon. Drinking or getting high, being drunk (>/= .08%) or being high (and they've invested in breathalizer-thingies to detect it) are both totally deal killers. Go to jail cards, as it were.

Brandishing the thing... yeah, that's not gonna work. Keep it hid. And if you happen to get into an argument, don't ever touch the thing, menacingly or not. Open carry if you're deep in the country and you actually know folks there, and you really, really want everybody to know exactly how you're armed.

And if there's a sign posted or someone asks that you not carry inside, you can't ignore it. It's against the law here.

Other than that, you're cool.