CCW rig for new job [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : CCW rig for new job

mdalle01
06-27-2011, 12:21
Folks, this is a resurrected thread from 2011. The current posts begin HERE (http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=20587214#post20587214).

Please do not ask questions of members' posts made in 2011, expect a response, and get upset when there is no response...:supergrin: Some of those members are no longer active.

Iíve been carrying my G26 in a Crossbreed SuperTuck Delux IWB holster for a long time now and absolutely love it. However, I am starting a new job in a couple weeks that will require me to wear dress slacks and a tucked-in shirt, so Iím looking for a system that is more concealable for my new work attire.

As for the firearm, Iím leaning towards a small single-stack 9mm, like the Kahr PM9 for example.

As for the carry system, Iím kind of lost and need some help. An IWB holsterÖperhaps the CBST w/ the Velcro clips? What about a shoulder holster, ankle holster, pocket holster, bellyband, or perhaps the SmartCarry holster? What deep concealment holster do you recommend?

LongGoneDays
06-27-2011, 12:27
Try a tuckable IWB or ankle holster first.

Seems like shoulder holsters are a pain, but I've never worn one.

collim1
06-27-2011, 12:36
Smith and Wesson 442 in a pocket or on your ankle.

I try to always carry my P239 and a reload OWB, but sometimes you just cant dress around that.

When forced to wear dress clothes I rely on my jframe in my pocket.

McMillan
06-27-2011, 14:54
Fist #22 with velcro clips has my vote as i carry appendix
Second to that a smartcarry with a kahr would work quite well.

I'm actually looking at picking up a kahr CM9 for this reason

Cheytac
06-27-2011, 14:58
Tucker Gun Leather, tuckable IWB... :wavey:

Toorop
06-27-2011, 22:23
I would ask the boss what they use to carry. Nothing like scoring some brownie points with the boss...

mdalle01
06-28-2011, 13:53
Hey, thanks for the input guys.

I would ask the boss what they use to carry. Nothing like scoring some brownie points with the boss...

If I had a boss like that I'd be set.

bjhubb
06-28-2011, 19:16
Everyday I carry a g26 in a hybrid holster that I made, which is similar to the cbst. I wear cinch jeans with a polo shirt tucked in. I drive up to 350 miles a day and it is very comfortable and concealed.

DaneA
06-28-2011, 21:53
I don't think you will have a problem carrying your 26 in your cbst. I do it everyday without a problem with khakis and a tucked in shirt. No one has even pointed out the clips on the holster (even with their crosses :) ). I would suggest wearing darker colored shirts if possible.

Toorop
06-29-2011, 00:46
If I had a boss like that I'd be set.

What do you mean?

drew4691
06-29-2011, 00:54
I have a PM9 with a pocket holster. I prefer the LCP in the pocket... It really is much lighter (6+1) than the PM9 (6+1). Especially in dress slacks, the pm9 feels like a brick.

I went LCP + CT grips for $449 before taxes. Never looked back.

Manzoli7
06-29-2011, 09:36
I used to run a large vending machine route. With medium size smart carry I could conceal a snub nose, and a medium to almost a large size semi auto. Sometimes I would have my tennis style shirt untucked and turn it sideways and use it to carry a K frame 357 cross draw. If I was wearing a tucked in shirt and tie for a business meating with a new client I could carry a 5 shot snub 357 right in front. I would have a speed strip of realoads in the other pocket of the holster. With the shirt and tie I could also carry the snub cross draw with the handel just under my belt line. with cross draw I would put the front tail of the shirt on the side the gun was on under the smart carry and the other front tail over the smart carry. Those tucker holsters leave visible belt clips. Smart carry is hidden completley. If you get one try it in different positions at home with different pants.

It is the most versitile holster I have ever owned. Also the guns you mentioned are very light so they will not wear out the waist band of the holster. Chek with the company what size will work with your specific guns.

mdalle01
06-29-2011, 12:57
I don't think you will have a problem carrying your 26 in your cbst. I do it everyday without a problem with khakis and a tucked in shirt. No one has even pointed out the clips on the holster (even with their crosses :) ). I would suggest wearing darker colored shirts if possible.

I wear fitted dress shirts that really hug my body and the width of the G26 in a CBST creates a bulge that is just too noticeable and sloppy looking. I will be working in an office setting for a local non-profit agency, so it's critical that not only is my firearm concealed well, but that I maintain a professional appearance at all times.

What do you mean?My intuition tells me that my new boss is an anti-gunner.

I finished grad school last year and this is the first job that I have been able to get in my field. I don't want to do anything to mess up this opportunity.

I have a PM9 with a pocket holster. I prefer the LCP in the pocket... It really is much lighter (6+1) than the PM9 (6+1). Especially in dress slacks, the pm9 feels like a brick.

I went LCP + CT grips for $449 before taxes. Never looked back.

The LCP is my wife's favorite carry piece, but I've been known to slip in my pocket for a quick trip to the gas station every now and then. This might be an option, but I have to say, I really prefer 9mm.

I used to run a large vending machine route. With medium size smart carry I could conceal a snub nose, and a medium to almost a large size semi auto. Sometimes I would have my tennis style shirt untucked and turn it sideways and use it to carry a K frame 357 cross draw. If I was wearing a tucked in shirt and tie for a business meating with a new client I could carry a 5 shot snub 357 right in front. I would have a speed strip of realoads in the other pocket of the holster. With the shirt and tie I could also carry the snub cross draw with the handel just under my belt line. with cross draw I would put the front tail of the shirt on the side the gun was on under the smart carry and the other front tail over the smart carry. Those tucker holsters leave visible belt clips. Smart carry is hidden completley. If you get one try it in different positions at home with different pants.

It is the most versitile holster I have ever owned. Also the guns you mentioned are very light so they will not wear out the waist band of the holster. Chek with the company what size will work with your specific guns.

Wow, thank for this info.

I've been interested in the SmartCarry holster for a while now. I always thought it would be a good option for when I go jogging. I will definitely give this holster further consideration.

Glock21sf-miami
07-02-2011, 17:17
J frame in a smartcarry...

CFS
07-02-2011, 17:21
Belly band.....and carry what you want!
Done it for years.

Pop

BLau
07-02-2011, 17:24
Walther PPS is a nice CCW piece. It's what I use when I need to go thin.

mdalle01
07-02-2011, 17:35
Thanks for the replies.

I'm going to try my luck with a single-stack 9mm in a SmartCarry holster and see how this system works. I will probably pick up a CBST IWB holster w/ velcro clips as well.

FlyboyLDB
07-02-2011, 20:55
Here is what I utilize when I need super concealed. http://www.511tactical.com/All-Products/Shirts/Undergear-Shirts/Holster-Shirt.html I can carry a Glock 27 with no issues. I have even carried my Glock 23. My Kel-Tec PF9 works the best. Comes in black or white and they even have V necks if you desire. The biggest con is that the shirt itself gets a little toasty. But if you will be inside in the AC, should be no problem.

Toorop
07-02-2011, 21:05
My intuition tells me that my new boss is an anti-gunner.

I finished grad school last year and this is the first job that I have been able to get in my field. I don't want to do anything to mess up this opportunity.

Then carrying at work is a bad idea.

mdalle01
07-02-2011, 21:06
Here is what I utilize when I need super concealed. http://www.511tactical.com/All-Products/Shirts/Undergear-Shirts/Holster-Shirt.html I can carry a Glock 27 with no issues. I have even carried my Glock 23. My Kel-Tec PF9 works the best. Comes in black or white and they even have V necks if you desire. The biggest con is that the shirt itself gets a little toasty. But if you will be inside in the AC, should be no problem.

That looks like an excellent deep concealment option. Thanks.

jeffyjeff
07-02-2011, 23:15
i don't usually wear a tucked in shirt, but i have on occasion and no one has ever noticed my glock26 in cbst while tucked and i even use the stock clips.

since you've already got the cbst, i'd say go with that. just pick up some less conspicuous clips for it if that's a concern.

DustyJacket
07-03-2011, 08:34
I wear fitted dress shirts that really hug my body ...

Sometimes you have to change your style of dress for effective concealment. You can't have everything - big gun, tight clothes, deep concealment.

I suggest going unarmed your first few days until you see what people wear, what you have to do physically, etc. Leave it in a car-safe for a while.

B.Reid
07-03-2011, 11:28
Pocket holster

Lior
07-03-2011, 11:30
+1 for SmartCarry.

Warp
07-03-2011, 12:03
I carried a G26 at work for a couple of years using a tucked C-TAC. It was chilly (like 50*F), though, and I wore at least two shirts so that really helped.

The first day or two I did not carry. Then I put a 642 in a smartcarry and finally I was comfortable enough with everything to go the IWB route. I never looked back. I didn't even use the velcro option. Nobody seemed to notice the clips and they were the same color as my belt. If anybody asks you can say they are part of the belt. If they ask further just brush it off and move on. Your clothing probably isn't their business anyway

Ruggles
07-03-2011, 12:06
Then carrying at work is a bad idea.

Nice trolling :upeyes:

He asked what to carry not if he should. Someone should keep their nose out of things that do not concern them, like state CCW laws :wavey:

Work place carry sure seems to be a touchy subject for you, even when it does not involve you at all :dunno:

EAA10
07-03-2011, 12:48
I like the 5.11 tac shirt, but be warned it is a bit warm as mentioned. I am so confident in this for concealment, I use it when giving presentations in front of a hunderd or more people.
I use a pocket holster in the shirt when I carry my 26, better trigger protection.

I also use a Kel-Tec PF9 in a Galco tuck and go, and that hides amazing. I use this when riding my Harley with just a T-shirt with no problems with printing at all. On the tuck and go you will most lilkley need an undershirt, or to add a piece of leather to the top to ride against your skin. Good Luck

Warp
07-03-2011, 13:35
Nice trolling

He is good at it.

Ruggles
07-03-2011, 15:15
:rofl:

I am learning that. He pops up a lot with comments that are designed to cause issues in a thread. :upeyes:

Maybe his mom cut off the cable to his basement room and he is bored :rofl:

Glockz0r
07-03-2011, 15:34

I am learning that. He pops up a lot with comments that are designed to cause issues in a thread. :upeyes:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b24/KamelRed/1291687990231.png

Toorop
07-03-2011, 19:32
I guess I am just the only one in this thread whose word means something.

Warp
07-03-2011, 19:36

I guess so.

Toorop
07-03-2011, 19:50
I guess so.

Sad isn't it that we can't expect people to keep their word. It causes me to hope and to write my legislators asking that signage and notice laws get put into place so that people who are caught carrying after agreeing not to will face criminal penalties as well.

Warp
07-03-2011, 19:54
Sad isn't it that we can't expect people to keep their word. It causes me to hope and to write my legislators asking that signage and notice laws get put into place so that people who are caught carrying after agreeing not to will face criminal penalties as well.

Actually I don't even know what you are talking about. I just knew that you needed a response in order to go on to the next stage.

BroncoAZ
07-03-2011, 20:00
As for the firearm, Iím leaning towards a small single-stack 9mm, like the Kahr PM9 for example.

I am a fan of the Kahr pistols. I purchased a PM9 for pocket carry buy agree it felt like a brick flopping around the pocket of slacks. I love it for IWB carry and have been debating trying it on the ankle. There are a bunch of new single stack 9mm out this year, but I still think the Kahr is the pick of the litter. If you are shopping, check out the new Kahr CM9. The CM9 is about $250 cheaper than the PM9 and almost the identical gun minus the polygonal rifling and a few MIM parts.

Not wanting to give up the pocket carry option I got the Kahr P380. The P380 is smaller than the LCP (but weighs about 2oz more), but is a much better shooter. It shares the same trigger design as the PM9, and the addition of real sights make it much more accurate than the LCP. I had a LCP for over 2 years and would gladly spend the additional money on the Kahr P380 again. I got mine from Buds for about $520 plus a $10 FFL transfer.

B.Reid
07-03-2011, 23:01

I would never promise to forgo my right to self defense. And anyone who would expect me to is not someone to respect!

Toorop
07-04-2011, 00:07
I would never promise to forgo my right to self defense. And anyone who would expect me to is not someone to respect!

Nobody said forgo your right to self defense. Just your ability to carry a firearm while working. By doing do you are violating The agreement you have with your employer if they have a no weapons policy. It seems like the original poster has taken a job with such a policy and is carrying anyway. If that is not the case I apologize.

Toorop
07-04-2011, 00:12

Insults are the sign of an insecure man and a small mind. Either way you still must admit that I am right when I say it is wrong to lie to others.

BroncoAZ
07-04-2011, 02:01
Nobody said forgo your right to self defense. Just your ability to carry a firearm while working. By doing do you are violating The agreement you have with your employer if they have a no weapons policy. It seems like the original poster has taken a job with such a policy and is carrying anyway. If that is not the case I apologize.

Most companies with a no firearms policy have that policy in place because of a the fear of being sued in the event of a workplace incident involving an employee. Settling a lawsuit with the family of a murdered employee is cheaper than settling a lawsuit with the family of a bad guy who was killed by the employee during the commission of a felony. Others have the no firearms policy because of a gun hating liberal in the HR department. I have run across a few companies that had the policy on the books but the owner was unaware of it.

As far as denying the right to self defense, an employer policy that prohibits weapons on site leaves the employee defenseless on the way to and from work. Fortunately several states have put limitations on the right of an employer to restrict employees from having firearms in their locked personal vehicles while parked on company property.

Suggesting that employees who carry dispite a company policy should be subject to criminal penalty seems like an unpopular idea on a gun forum. I'd think that losing the job in this economy is penalty enough. Some people look at facebook and twitter at work, others take a 2 hour lunch on Friday, some use the company copier for their own ends. Do you recommend criminal penalties for them as well? I don't see these infractions as any less serious than a law abiding citizen carrying contrary to company policy. After all, they all signed the same employee handbook.

Bill Lumberg
07-04-2011, 07:01
Actually, toorop was right, he should ensure that he has the private property owner's permission (that would be his employeer) to carry, or at least that there is no prohibition against permittee carry, before he ever carries at work. The OP's statement about his boss being an anti-gunner made it appear as though he hadn't researched whether carry was kosher, or in any event, hadn't determined that it was condoned. Until he's figured out whether he can/can't/should/shouldn't, he shouldn't carry at work. But- back to our regularly scheduled programming, he needs to have a good rig ready and tested for when he has his information straight. A CBST and a switch from blouses to men's dress shirts should work well OP. Nice trolling :upeyes:

He asked what to carry not if he should. Someone should keep their nose out of things that do not concern them, like state CCW laws :wavey:

Work place carry sure seems to be a touchy subject for you, even when it does not involve you at all :dunno:

mdalle01
07-04-2011, 07:44
As far as I know my employer does not have a no weapons policy, but I could be wrong. My new boss just reminds me of the liberal college professors that I had to deal with when I went to school. But anyway, I start my new job in a few weeks and will be able to get more information. One thing is for certain however, I'm not just going to ask my new boss (who I think may be anti-gun), if it's cool for me to carry a gun at work...that probably wouldn't work too well for me.

My concern is not whether to carry or not, that's a call I will make for myself, but rather how to carry concealed in dress clothes. I have always carried in jeans and a loose fitting shirt and have no experience carrying in tighter fitting dress clothes. Thanks for all of the great suggestions on how to do this.

Warp
07-04-2011, 11:03
Insults are the sign of an insecure man and a small mind.

Right you are. ;)

B.Reid
07-04-2011, 13:24
Insults are the sign of an insecure man and a small mind.

Yes, but isn't that an insult? :rofl:

Willieboy
07-04-2011, 13:34
I’ve been carrying my G26 in a Crossbreed SuperTuck Delux IWB holster for a long time now and absolutely love it. However, I am starting a new job in a couple weeks that will require me to wear dress slacks and a tucked-in shirt, so I’m looking for a system that is more concealable for my new work attire.

As for the firearm, I’m leaning towards a small single-stack 9mm, like the Kahr PM9 for example.

As for the carry system, I’m kind of lost and need some help. An IWB holster…perhaps the CBST w/ the Velcro clips? What about a shoulder holster, ankle holster, pocket holster, bellyband, or perhaps the SmartCarry holster? What deep concealment holster do you recommend?

I often carry the PM9 in a Garrett Silent Thunder holster. The Silent Thunder is one of the very few tuckable holsters I've tried that actually hides the gun when the shirt is tucked. I wear this combination to church, to see clients or whenever. It works well.

P.S. I use a Silent Thunder to conceal a Glock G36 and a
G26 as well.

jamaicanj
07-04-2011, 15:41
A galco belly band or a galco ankle glove will work just fine for concealing your G26 at your new job.

Just1More
07-04-2011, 15:46
Are you allowed to carry at work?

Texcowboy
07-04-2011, 15:50
If you could skip the fitted shirts and wear one with a little room a Concealment T Shirt should work for you, or an ankle holster.

BroncoAZ
07-04-2011, 15:53
Are you allowed to carry at work?

That question was answered in post 41. It is also an irrelevant question, the OP asked about how to carry, not if he should carry.

Jim S.
07-04-2011, 17:36
Why do you suppose they called it the "Supertuck"?
Learn how to wear it with a tucked in shirt and you have solved your problem and kept the holster you like.

hikerpaddler
07-04-2011, 17:39
It was a reasonable question. That question was answered in post 41. It is also an irrelevant question, the OP asked about how to carry, not if he should carry.

mdalle01
07-05-2011, 00:18
Why do you suppose they called it the "Supertuck"?
Learn how to wear it with a tucked in shirt and you have solved your problem and kept the holster you like.

Yeah, I learned that my G26 in a CBST creates a bulge in my side that is too noticeable when wearing dress clothes. That's why I'm considering a CBST with a single-stack 9mm.

M&M
09-01-2013, 09:43
I have a cbst and carry a G30 just behind the hip. I wear a dress shirt and slacks. Dark shirts and patterns help. I'm considering a crossbreed belly band or concealment t-shirts

SCmasterblaster
09-01-2013, 13:27
For 15 years I carried my G17 IWB under a work shirt at 11 o'clock. Mostly in liberal Hanover, NH.

For CCW holsters, I'd try Bianchi - they have been around for a long while.

www.bianchi-intl.com

steveksux
09-01-2013, 15:34
I wear fitted dress shirts that really hug my body and the width of the G26 in a CBST creates a bulge that is just too noticeable and sloppy looking. I will be working in an office setting for a local non-profit agency, so it's critical that not only is my firearm concealed well, but that I maintain a professional appearance at all times.

My intuition tells me that my new boss is an anti-gunner.

The LCP is my wife's favorite carry piece, but I've been known to slip in my pocket for a quick trip to the gas station every now and then. This might be an option, but I have to say, I really prefer 9mm.

Wow, thank for this info.

I've been interested in the SmartCarry holster for a while now. I always thought it would be a good option for when I go jogging. I will definitely give this holster further consideration.
Sometimes you have to make compromises. 9mm or smaller, accessibility vs concealability, even armed or not.

If you cannot afford to mess up the opportunity, weigh the odds you'll really ever need it AT work, you may choose to leave it in the car. You may need to go with a smaller gun than a 9mm, and a holster that doesn't allow as easy access but conceals better.

Personally I'd go with smartcarry rather than IWB. Someone bumps you, touches your waist at the right spot, they could feel the pistol if IWB. Its unlikely, but not impossible.

Is the risk of problems occurring where you'd need a pistol high enough to outweigh the risk of getting caught, fired, and possibly blackballed in your industry? Word gets around, especially if its a small community of people that do what you do. I know someone that got caught, fired, and had to leave the state to find work. Word got around, he was untouchable.

He got caught by dropping the pistol in the bathroom stall on the floor preparing to take a dump with someone in the adjoining stall. I don't know what he used for concealment, but he did not take into account how it would work in the bathroom. You have to take into account every angle, not just the obvious ones.

Every path has a different risk, its up to you to weigh the risk vs reward vs consequences.

Randy

FlyboyLDB
09-01-2013, 19:27
Now that this thread has been reborn...which set up did the OP chose? We are all curious of what worked? Thanks in advance

Ryobi
09-02-2013, 05:46
This. Then carrying at work is a bad idea.

Frinker
09-02-2013, 08:53
I have carried a G26 in a Galco ankle holster for 12 hours at a time and other than an occasional adjustment it is very comfortable.

rozz421
09-02-2013, 14:10
pm-9 in the same type holster ive done it before in dress clothes with no issues.

Cavalry Doc
09-02-2013, 16:01
There are times, when it is difficult to carry a gun. For when I can't carry a real gun, I opt for one of these.

http://www.natchezss.com/images/products/DI110BJR7Z0.jpg

I now have a couple of single stack 9mm taurus slims to play with that I recently acquired.

I haven't gotten one yet, but have been interested in these.

http://www.concealedcomfort.com/images/holsterwithcell-09-0626-190x265.jpg

http://www.concealedcomfort.com/

shockglock
09-02-2013, 17:41
Not a fan of pocket carry myself, only do it if I have to. I carry my Kahr CM9 in a Fusion Pac holster and you can't tell it is there. Go to www.tactipac.com and watch the video. Works great for me when I absolutely don't want to print.

mdalle01
09-07-2013, 07:32
Now that this thread has been reborn...which set up did the OP chose? We are all curious of what worked? Thanks in advance

I carried a Ruger LCP in my front right pocket in a DeSantis Super Fly holster which concealed exceptionally well.

I really wanted to carry a 9mm so I picked up a Kahr CM9. I tried carrying the CM9 in an MTAC with Velcro clips, but I didn't like this setup too much.

My current carry rig at work is a CM9 in a DeSantis Apache ankle holster. I've been carrying this way for about a year and love it. I'm thinking about picking up a Galco Ankle Lite holster to compare against the DeSantis.

BroncoAZ
09-07-2013, 22:17
I have thought about the ankle carry option, but I have never purchased a holster for it. Any issues with feeling unbalanced with the weight on only one leg?

Lior
09-08-2013, 00:24
Same gun in a SmartCarry Holster. Enough room for a 15 round spare mag too without anyone being the wiser.

jpa
09-08-2013, 08:06
I carried a Ruger LCP in my front right pocket in a DeSantis Super Fly holster which concealed exceptionally well.

I really wanted to carry a 9mm so I picked up a Kahr CM9. I tried carrying the CM9 in an MTAC with Velcro clips, but I didn't like this setup too much.

My current carry rig at work is a CM9 in a DeSantis Apache ankle holster. I've been carrying this way for about a year and love it. I'm thinking about picking up a Galco Ankle Lite holster to compare against the DeSantis.

That's a good setup. I personally like carrying a compact 9mm instead of a j-frame or 380. 380 ammo is expensive as hell.

How's the job going?

mdalle01
09-08-2013, 11:50
I have thought about the ankle carry option, but I have never purchased a holster for it. Any issues with feeling unbalanced with the weight on only one leg?

No, not at all. I don't even notice it's there.

That's a good setup. I personally like carrying a compact 9mm instead of a j-frame or 380. 380 ammo is expensive as hell.

How's the job going?

The job is going great! Thanks.

EAA10
09-09-2013, 07:10

I really like the one that the NRA sells. I tried the Galco, but it did not have enough padding for my ankle, and was painful after about 4 hours. The one from the NRA "Blue Stone" I believe has been great. I either put a shield or a 26 in the holster. Good Luck