Got a new addition coming......*Piston content* [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Got a new addition coming......*Piston content*

Airborne Infantryman
06-27-2011, 15:30
I debated for the last week about getting another AR, and whether I wanted to go DI again, but I just prefer piston ARs. Its just my preference, and I've had nothing but good experience with them.

I did some research, and decided on a PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114.

I got it for a screaming good deal here, and due to the fact that Reds Trading Post is in Idaho with PWS, they got 4 of these approximately 3-4 days ago, so my rifle is fresh from the line. :supergrin: ......which means it has the Gen 2 MagPul BUIS on it, which I'm eager to try out.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=237689586

What intrigued me about PWS, is how they use a long stroke piston, as opposed to LWRCs short stroke piston. The PWS system is very similar to an AK-47.

http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=178&idcategory=15

I've read nothing but positive reviews on the PWS MK-series of rifles. They seem to offer about the same amount of quality as LWRC from what I've read from those who have both and LWRC and a PWS.

At 6 pounds, 13 ounces, its a very light rifle; about 2 pounds lighter than my LWRC M6A2.

In terms of value, seems to be a lot for the money; BCM Charging Handle, MagPul furniture and MBUIS, BCG and all internals coated in NIC Industries "Micro Slick".

I plan on adding nothing more than a V-TAC sling, some XTM panels, and a MagPul RVG to it; this one will be my lightweight K.I.S.S. rifle. Later down the road, I *might* add an Aimpoint T1 Micro to it.

I can't wait to get it. I will definitely be providing a nice comparison between my two LWRCs and this when it arrives.

http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/catalog/MK114_L_3.jpg

furioso2112
06-27-2011, 15:33
cheers, hope you like it.

bullittmcqueen
06-27-2011, 15:44
You are a sick sick man.... Congrats on the new baby.

Airborne Infantryman
06-27-2011, 15:50
You are a sick sick man.... Congrats on the new baby.

Thank you. This deployment $$ is burning a hole in my pocket. :faint:

ColdBlooded
06-27-2011, 17:40
Sweet.

boomhower
06-27-2011, 18:03
Looks good. I like the idea of the long stroke piston. Everyone I've talked to with LWRC's complain of the sharp recoil of the short stroke, haven't talked to anyone with one of their midlengths. For the price it looks like a pretty good value. Only thing I don't like is the non-free float rail.

Airborne Infantryman
06-27-2011, 22:39
For anyone who's interested in what the PWS long stroke piston system looks like- its almost exactly like an AK-47 in that the bolt carrier is integrated with the piston/op rod.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctQP2HlFaSo&NR=1

HAIL CAESAR
06-27-2011, 22:46
AIRBORNE,

I am very interested in that gun. Please keep us abreast of what you find after shooting it.

JASV.17
06-28-2011, 06:32
I think when your wife gets tired of dancing, you'd be safer in Afghanistan.

:supergrin:

Enjoy your toys, you've earned them. Thanks.

Airborne Infantryman
06-28-2011, 08:08
AIRBORNE,

I am very interested in that gun. Please keep us abreast of what you find after shooting it.

Will do; from all the research I've done on this gun, it seems your getting an LWRC for 500-700 less, but with a more user-friendly piston system.

Airborne Infantryman
06-28-2011, 08:09
I think when your wife gets tired of dancing, you'd be safer in Afghanistan.

:supergrin:

Enjoy your toys, you've earned them. Thanks.

Thanks for the kind words. :supergrin:

mixflip
06-28-2011, 09:59
You got me interested in this gun too. The idea of a long stroke system really does make sense. (having the BCG attached to the op rod just like and AK = zero chance of carrier tilt).

It also looks like you can get one in a mid-length which is another big selling point for me. I am not 100% in love with the short handguards of my carbine. I have already accidentally touched my hot gas block and I am wishing for more real estate such as a mid-length system. Yeah I could just wear gloves but who wants to wear gloves "all the time"?

Whats the average price for one?

Airborne Infantryman
06-28-2011, 11:51
You got me interested in this gun too. The idea of a long stroke system really does make sense. (having the BCG attached to the op rod just like and AK = zero chance of carrier tilt).

It also looks like you can get one in a mid-length which is another big selling point for me. I am not 100% in love with the short handguards of my carbine. I have already accidentally touched my hot gas block and I am wishing for more real estate such as a mid-length system. Yeah I could just wear gloves but who wants to wear gloves "all the time"?

Whats the average price for one?

MSRP for all the 5.56 rifles in all barrel lengths is $1549. They come in 16 inch, 14 inch, 12 inch, 10 inch, and 7 inch, and are all the same price.

I paid $1499.99 for mine from Red's Trading Post on Gunbroker, who is a PWS Dealer; funny thing is, PWS is actually right down the street from Red's.

When I called to order mine yesterday, they had 4 in stock. They got them literally 3-4 days ago from PWS, so these are the latest gen with the Gen 2 MagPul MBUIS.

Cool thing about these rifles, is they drop all the carbon on top of the barrel.

http://pwsblog.com/?p=189

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_pQDjF-xdTEk/Tc2vNJrImTI/AAAAAAAAAI0/xG7oPhJzXTA/CarbonFootprint2.jpg

Really brings to the picture (literally) what is going through your gastube and into your chamber on a D.I. AR-15.

mixflip
06-28-2011, 12:37
Wow that is a very good shot of carbon fouling. I'd much rather have it dumped outside vs coated all over my bolt lugs, bolt face and BCG. Looks like an awesome gun. Looking forward to your range review. You might get me to stray from my Stag M8?

Airborne Infantryman
06-28-2011, 13:03
Wow that is a very good shot of carbon fouling. I'd much rather have it dumped outside vs coated all over my bolt lugs, bolt face and BCG. Looks like an awesome gun. Looking forward to your range review. You might get me to stray from my Stag M8?

Most definitely. I got 420 rounds of Lake City M855 that is being delivered tomorrow. As soon as I get the rifle and get a chance to go to the range, I will do a nice write up. If this thing is as nice as it is on paper, in person, it will be a great alternative to an LWRC; honestly, all I see my LWRCs having over the PWS MK114 is Cerakote and a Free-Floating Barrel; the PWS rifles still have all their internals coated with NIC Industries Micro Slick, and you can get the PWS rifles in Flat Dark Earth cerakote at this time; if this MK114 is as awesome as I think it is, my next rifle might be a PWS MK216 in Flat Dark Earth, which is their 7.62 rifle with a 16 inch barrel.