You Might Be an Edible Insect If... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : You Might Be an Edible Insect If...

chivvalry
06-27-2011, 18:27
Okay... I HAD to pass this one on.

"Most insects are edible. Unfortunately, there isn't a dead giveaway to tell if a bug is edible unless you know what you're doing. However, there are some general guidelines you can use to help you decide. One rule of thumb that survival experts endorse is to steer clear of brightly colored insects."

http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/survival/wilderness/edible-bug1.htm

Bon Appetit!

Zombie Steve
06-27-2011, 18:58
Sweet. I'll keep that in mind.

Glock!9
06-27-2011, 19:31
really? a stink bug tastes like apples.....

noway
06-28-2011, 11:27
Will if eat one, let us know how it works out.

When I took the USAF pilot SERE course, they taught us plant, insects and small animals that we could eat. I wasn't too fond of anything outside of a grass hopper. A MRE actually doesn't seem to taste so bad either ;)

Bilbo Bagins
07-01-2011, 11:44
Will if eat one, let us know how it works out.

When I took the USAF pilot SERE course, they taught us plant, insects and small animals that we could eat. I wasn't too fond of anything outside of a grass hopper. A MRE actually doesn't seem to taste so bad either ;)

I'm curious, but damn it, I couldn't eat a stink bug.

I had very basic survival training in the Army, but from what I heard from Air Force guys, SERE training is hard core. Didn't they have you suck the eyeballs out of animals and eat them. Sure you get vital fluids and nutrition, but that is harsh sucking Bambi or Thumper's eye out of its skull.

purrrfect 10
07-12-2011, 12:03
Stink bugs love to eat fruit and vegetables...Me eat a Stink Bug??? never happening. Sorry I would die looking for fruits and veggies first.

dmjonez
07-12-2011, 12:26
I'm curious, but damn it, I couldn't eat a stink bug.

I had very basic survival training in the Army, but from what I heard from Air Force guys, SERE training is hard core. Didn't they have you suck the eyeballs out of animals and eat them. Sure you get vital fluids and nutrition, but that is harsh sucking Bambi or Thumper's eye out of its skull.

You wanted to hang around near the kids that had NAMED their rabbit before they made you kill them. You had a pretty good shot at getting theirs as well!

BTW, the eyes were harder to pop than you'd think...

bustedknee
07-13-2011, 21:18
"Insects that are extremely pungent are also good to keep off your plate. Some wilderness experts will caution against hairy critters as well as bugs that bite or sting. Disease carriers like flies, ticks and mosquitoes are also on the no list."

How about I simply avoid eating ALL bugs?

sourdough44
07-14-2011, 03:30
I'd say if a bird eats it, you can eat it.