which one ? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : which one ?

Fedor
06-28-2011, 11:31
I have narrowed my choice of carry weapon down to two pistols, the Ruger LCR .357 or a Glock 27
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Mas Ayoob
06-28-2011, 19:50
Depends on the user and how it's going to be carried. The revolver's simpler manual of arms and administrative handling makes it easier and safer for new shooters, whether the plan is for the new shooter to carry the gun, or just have access to it in an emergency. (That is, you're the serious shooter in the family, but the less-interested spouse might have to use it one day.) The .357 Magnum chambering gives a very broad option, from snakeshot loads to light plinking rounds to .38 defense loads to full blown Magnums, and the .40 auto's range in that regard is not so great.

On the other hand, the auto will offer twice the in-gun round count in your comparative choices -- 9+1 in the G27, and more with an extended mag, compared to only 5 in the LCR. The baby Glock in .40 will kick distinctly less than the .357 with Magnum ammo, and will be much faster to reload. Most shooters are considerably more accurate with a baby Glock than with a small frame snub revolver.

As far as carrying, the shape of the LCR will make it faster to get at and draw from pocket carry,than the square-shaped auto. You'll be able to fire it through an overcoat pocket without it malfunctioning, which you can't count on with any auto.

For pocket carry, I'd personally go with the revolver; for belt carry (IWB or OWB) I'd instantly go with the Glock 27.

Let us know here what your final choice is!

best,
Mas

Fedor
06-28-2011, 20:52
Thank you Mr. Ayoob

Fedor
07-02-2011, 08:36
I'm now leaning toward a 29SF 10mm, what is your opinion of it?

Mas Ayoob
07-02-2011, 12:48
It's an excellent pistol, if a 10mm pulls your trigger. :-)

best,
Mas

Fedor
07-08-2011, 12:59
I went with the 29SF. I have 40 rounds of Hornady 180 gr. XTP's on hand, and I have 40 rounds of Winchester 175 gr. Silvertips on the way.