Job offer from New Jersey [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Job offer from New Jersey

Lady Glock
06-28-2011, 13:46
I read that private citizen carry in New Jersey is suppose to be available under certain circumstances, but that it is NEVER approved unless you work in a capicity that requires a gun to be carried. Anyone know of a way around this? I need to be able to carry in case my attacker is released from prison. Is there anything in the works to be friendlier to gun owners?

Gallium
06-28-2011, 14:06
It is not going to happen - even with your attacker dreaming up ways to make your life hell, UNLESS you contact an attorney. Evan Nappan is one of the go-to guys in NJ.

http://www.evannappen.com/

'Drew

gommer
06-28-2011, 14:13
I read that private citizen carry in New Jersey is suppose to be available under certain circumstances, but that it is NEVER approved unless you work in a capicity that requires a gun to be carried. Anyone know of a way around this? I need to be able to carry in case my attacker is released from prison. Is there anything in the works to be friendlier to gun owners?

Even if you do get it - NJ is not carry friendly. Expect to be harassed.

About a year ago a fella was arrested for having his guns locked in his TRUNK! The guns were secured and he still went to jail.

So stupid.

No such thing as liberty in some parts of this country. :(

IndyGunFreak
06-28-2011, 15:14
Even if you do get it - NJ is not carry friendly. Expect to be harassed.

About a year ago a fella was arrested for having his guns locked in his TRUNK! The guns were secured and he still went to jail.

So stupid.

No such thing as liberty in some parts of this country. :(

Little more to the story in NJ than that... be honest now. Regardless, it was a situation blown out of proportion by all parties (the gun owner, his mother, and the police)... I believe he was actually convicted, then was released after his conviction was overturned.

I would avoid going to NJ unless I absolutely had to. I'm assuming you feel you have to go back there to visit family/friends, or on business? Given your circumstances, and the fact the state of NJ is basically going to expect you to hope it doesn't happen again... Avoid going there at all costs.

IGF

BamaBud
06-28-2011, 15:45
I can only speak from my personal experience.

I moved to NJ about 25 years ago. I called the PD in the township where I bought a house. I asked how to apply for a carry permit. The clerk asked if I owned a jewelry store or was a diamond merchant. I told her no, and she said I couldn't get one. Period.

I asked who did I need to talk to, and she referred me to the chief of police.

I went down and asked to talk to him. He wanted to know why I wanted one. I told him that I had had a permit and carried daily for over 20 years and wanted to continue in my new hometown.

He asked the same questions as the clerk, then said: I'm not giving you one." When I asked why, he said: "Yoou haven't given me a reason you should have one." He then said "It would be best if you shipped all your guns back home, because you don't need them here."

I left NJ as soon as I could.

Lady Glock
06-28-2011, 16:34
Maybe my arguement will be more convincing. I will even go as far as to take in a mugshot of my attacker. I will do all possible to accomplish it if we DO move there. The job offer is good, though not sure if it will be enough considering the high tax rates.

KiloBravo
06-28-2011, 16:39
No job offer and no amount of money in the world would be enough to make me move to that hell hole. Ditto for a number of other states that impede upon their citizens basic rights.

Deaf Smith
06-28-2011, 16:40
Why are you still in NJ?

My wife's sister just got the heck out of Dodge (or should I say Camen) and now has a house in Dallas.

This weekend I take her shooting! Yep I take a Yankee shooting!

Like the old song says,

"There's a place up ahead and I'm goin' just as fast as my feet can fly
Come away, come away if you're goin', leave the sinkin' ship behind."

Deaf

76again
06-28-2011, 16:42
Maybe my argument will be more convincing. I will even go as far as to take in a mugshot of my attacker. I will do all possible to accomplish it if we DO move there. The job offer is good, though not sure if it will be enough considering the high tax rates.

Any way to telecommute ? Live in a slightly less repulsive PA and visit NJ only when necessary. Meetings via the net, face to face once a month.

As for the taxes - they will go nowhere but up.

I wouldn't even bother with the mugshot. Look elsewhere, for freedom.

MyNewGlock23
06-28-2011, 16:49
Since it appears that nobody that has replied so far is currently living in NJ, let me say as they have said...FORGET IT. If you get one as a civilian, not working as an armed guard it's going to cost you...A LOT! Even as a security guard, you'll have to pay a nice piece of change to acquire a carry permit (roughly $3k) - AND you will only be able to carry to/from work and during the course of your duties.

mrsurfboard
06-28-2011, 17:18
Realistically, the only way you will be able to carry in NJ is you get a job as a Cop or you are well connected politically. I know it suck, but that is the BS that is NJ gun laws.

GeorgiaRedfish
06-28-2011, 17:23
No job offer and no amount of money in the world would be enough to make me move to that hell hole. Ditto for a number of other states that impede upon their citizens basic rights.
This, and not just because of the crappy gun laws.

Bogey
06-28-2011, 17:26
Little more to the story in NJ than that... be honest now. Regardless, it was a situation blown out of proportion by all parties (the gun owner, his mother, and the police)... I believe he was actually convicted, then was released after his conviction was overturned.

I would avoid going to NJ unless I absolutely had to. I'm assuming you feel you have to go back there to visit family/friends, or on business? Given your circumstances, and the fact the state of NJ is basically going to expect you to hope it doesn't happen again... Avoid going there at all costs.

IGF

The Governor either pardoned him, or commuted his sentence.

And basically, at the Police's direction, he was trapped.

MyNewGlock23
06-28-2011, 18:03
Realistically, the only way you will be able to carry in NJ is you get a job as a Cop or you are well connected politically. I know it suck, but that is the BS that is NJ gun laws.

You do not have to be a cop or be politically cconnected I'm neither and I have a carry permit. It cost me about $3000 for the Armed Security Training Program I took. As a resident and carry permit holder, I will be the last to defend NJ gun laws. The laws here clearlly SUCK!

toshbar
06-28-2011, 18:13
NJ might as well be part of North Korea. I'd never go.

bustedknee
06-28-2011, 18:21
OK to NJ?

Don't do it!

Over the years I spent a lot of time in Oklahoma. Great place, wonderful people.

I even spent a little time in NJ....

All I can say is, VISIT FIRST!

My wife and I drove up to the Jackson GSSF shoot recently and the nicest part of the trip was the range and the shooters. Both were fantastic!
The rest of the trip was like, .... well, .... like, uh, tolerating an angry porcupine in my stomach for the whole weekend.

I was totally disarmed for the entire time. My gun and ammo was locked in metal boxes locked in the trunk and I drove exactly the speed limit the whole time. The speed limit, by the way, is about 40 MPH slower the the locals drive. We got NJ smiles and NJ waves (sneers and fingers) from the majority of passers.

I remember a few toll roads in Oklahoma but the toll booths are few and far between and the roads there are in great shape, and the troopers don't even look up from their newspapers.
In NJ a new toll booth appears in front of you before the last one disappears from your review mirror. And the more frequent the toll booths the worse condition the road is in.

Can you imagine, they don't do barbeque?

And the gun laws are just the tip of the iceberg of how people think in NJ. And there are people everywhere? And each person is in a bigger hurry than the last guy.

Maybe visit for a couple weeks and ask your questions to the local officials.

pag23
06-28-2011, 18:24
Stay out of NJ... unfriendly guns laws to a private citizen. Try to live in PA and commute over one of the bridges.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the state to visit friends to do business but I wouldn't even attend a GSSF match there... too much aggravation with transport of firearms and ammo restrictions...

IndyGunFreak
06-28-2011, 18:32
Maybe my arguement will be more convincing. I will even go as far as to take in a mugshot of my attacker. I will do all possible to accomplish it if we DO move there. The job offer is good, though not sure if it will be enough considering the high tax rates.

Is it somewhere that a commute from PA is out of the question? Yeah, you'd still have to go into the PRNJ unarmed for a time...

I dunno, doesn't seem to be an easy answer to this. Even if the Chief "says" he'll give you a permit, who's to say he actually will once he moves there... or that when a new mayor appoints a new chief, the new chief will give you one?

rta108
06-28-2011, 18:57
You can't even buy AMMO in NJ without a state issued "Firearms purchasers ID card," which requires fingerprinting to get. I'm LE, and I'm still required to have one if i want to buy ammo. Don't even ask to look at a gun in a shop, or shoot in most ranges, without one of those cards.

wjv
06-28-2011, 20:53
Even as a security guard, you'll have to pay a nice piece of change to acquire a carry permit (roughly $3k) - AND you will only be able to carry to/from work and during the course of your duties.

IL is the same way.

Isn't it just plain stupid and bizarre that you CAN carry a gun to protect other people's money, but you CANNOT carry a gun to protect your own life!

GlockinNJ
06-28-2011, 21:20
OK to NJ?

Don't do it!

Over the years I spent a lot of time in Oklahoma. Great place, wonderful people.

I even spent a little time in NJ....

All I can say is, VISIT FIRST!

My wife and I drove up to the Jackson GSSF shoot recently and the nicest part of the trip was the range and the shooters. Both were fantastic!
The rest of the trip was like, .... well, .... like, uh, tolerating an angry porcupine in my stomach for the whole weekend.

I was totally disarmed for the entire time. My gun and ammo was locked in metal boxes locked in the trunk and I drove exactly the speed limit the whole time. The speed limit, by the way, is about 40 MPH slower the the locals drive. We got NJ smiles and NJ waves (sneers and fingers) from the majority of passers.

I remember a few toll roads in Oklahoma but the toll booths are few and far between and the roads there are in great shape, and the troopers don't even look up from their newspapers.
In NJ a new toll booth appears in front of you before the last one disappears from your review mirror. And the more frequent the toll booths the worse condition the road is in.

Can you imagine, they don't do barbeque?

And the gun laws are just the tip of the iceberg of how people think in NJ. And there are people everywhere? And each person is in a bigger hurry than the last guy.

Maybe visit for a couple weeks and ask your questions to the local officials.

(Sigh). As a lifelong Jersey boy, it's hard to argue with this. The roads suck, the tolls and taxes are high, there are people everywhere and they are in a big rush (for the most part). BBQ? Not really. But, plenty of good pizza!

The guns law SUCK. I went to the Jackson GSSF match with my Glock locked in the trunk and also locked in a container separate from the ammo. It's ridiculous. I keep print outs of NJ state gun laws in my range bag. I know people with guns in their homes but never met anyone with a carry permit. Even the people with guns in their homes never shoot them, they just sit in safes. It's sad. Gun ownership is practically criminalized in NJ.

AlexHassin
06-28-2011, 21:54
Just remember NJs culture is the jersey shore, malls, and drug dealers in front of convenience stores.
http://blogs.pitch.com/wayward/large-jay-and-silent-bob.jpg

ImpeachObama
06-28-2011, 22:16
I live three miles from Jersey and do business rather frequently throughout the month in the state. Property taxes are killing the ability for people to spend money. The state as a whole has the highest overall. It's called the Garden State because it is pretty in some spots. However, if you live here, you refer to it as the "Toll Booth State." NJ gun laws are so bad I'm surprised there is even gun shops and ranges, or that people are allowed to have them in their homes.

Jake Starr
06-28-2011, 22:23
I left NJ as soon as I could.

Nothing more needs to be said...I left in '77 and haven't looked back...even their pizza sucks now....nothing there that can't be found somewhere else.

bry@n
06-28-2011, 22:29
The Governor either pardoned him, or commuted his sentence.

And basically, at the Police's direction, he was trapped.

His sentence was comuted. Trapped? No He was bamboozled by the judge but he was still in possesion of illegal capacity mags. I don't believe he deserved to get 7 years but he shouldn't be pardoned.

You can't even buy AMMO in NJ without a state issued "Firearms purchasers ID card," which requires fingerprinting to get. I'm LE, and I'm still required to have one if i want to buy ammo. Don't even ask to look at a gun in a shop, or shoot in most ranges, without one of those cards.

Correct on the ammo, but not on the ranges and gun shops. Plenty of gun shops will let you see guns without asking for a FID. Public ranges have no requirement for FID's to shoot.

(Sigh). As a lifelong Jersey boy, it's hard to argue with this. The roads suck, the tolls and taxes are high, there are people everywhere and they are in a big rush (for the most part). BBQ? Not really. But, plenty of good pizza!

The guns law SUCK. I went to the Jackson GSSF match with my Glock locked in the trunk and also locked in a container separate from the ammo. It's ridiculous. I keep print outs of NJ state gun laws in my range bag. I know people with guns in their homes but never met anyone with a carry permit. Even the people with guns in their homes never shoot them, they just sit in safes. It's sad. Gun ownership is practically criminalized in NJ.

You hit the nail on the head. I was at the same match and feel the same way.

To the OP. At this time, there is a suit going on with the SAF/ ANJRPC
against the State of NJ regarding carry permits. A Judge just overturned a Chief denial of a kidnapping victims permit. It's not easy and you may want to familiarize yourself with the org's if you plan on moving here.

poodleshooter1
06-28-2011, 22:36
No way. Stay away from oppressive states, they will make your life hell in many ways.

GlockinNJ
06-29-2011, 04:52
...even their pizza sucks now....

This I will defend. Where I live, I have immediate access to at least 5 places that make awesome pizza. :tongueout:

HexHead
06-29-2011, 04:59
The job doesn't exist that could pay me enough money to move to NJ.

Gallium
06-29-2011, 07:00
The job doesn't exist that could pay me enough money to move to NJ.

I could name a SLEW of jobs I would take in NJ in a heartbeat.

1. Governor

2. Judge on the state highest court

3. State senator

4. County sheriff (think about how many permits Sheriff NYC Drew would rubber stamp. :supergrin:)

5. Any law enforcement job (this allows nationwide carry under HR218) where my current salary is tripled.

Of all those jobs, "sheriff" would be a stick in the eye of all anti-gunners. I'd probably last 1hr on that job...

'Drew

Lady Glock
06-29-2011, 07:01
I'm not sure if the job is near a border state. I'll have to find out where in Jersey the company is located. That is definitely a good suggestion if it's possible.

We would actually be making the move from Minnesota to Jersey as we are in the process of moving to Minnesota now. Will be driving out Saturday or sunday with the last load.

No BBQ???? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That could be the deal breaker right there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lady Glock
06-29-2011, 07:03
i could name a slew of jobs i would take in nj in a heartbeat.

1. Governor

3. State senator

4. County sheriff (think about how many permits sheriff nyc drew would rubber stamp. :supergrin:)
5. Any law enforcement job (this allows nationwide carry under hr218) where my current salary is tripled.

of all those jobs, "sheriff" would be a stick in the eye of all anti-gunners. I'd probably last 1hr on that job...
'drew

I like how you think!!!

HexHead
06-29-2011, 07:03
I could name a SLEW of jobs I would take in NJ in a heartbeat.

1. Governor

3. State senator

4. County sheriff (think about how many permits Sheriff NYC Drew would rubber stamp. :supergrin:)

5. Any law enforcement job (this allows nationwide carry under HR218) where my current salary is tripled.

Of all those jobs, "sheriff" would be a stick in the eye of all anti-gunners. I'd probably last 1hr on that job...

'Drew

Yeah, but you'd still have to live there. Some things just aren't worth it.

fuzzy03cls
06-29-2011, 07:43
Having grown up & lived in NYC all my life. And spent a lot of time in Jersey city & Newark, I'll never go back. My friends in NYC think I'm some kind of nutjob anti gov, cult member cause I carry a gun & shoot guns. They have no interest in them, or see a reason to ever have a gun. Why? I have 911, I have the largest best police force in the nation..... Everything is open 24/7, The city that never sleeps..... Yeah they are all brainwashed.

Gallium
06-29-2011, 08:03
Yeah, but you'd still have to live there. Some things just aren't worth it.

I've lived in Europe, the Caribbean, NY, spent a lot of time (spread out over 2 dozen trips) to the Far East; spent a lot of time in Africa, South America, Central America...every state in the Union, etc.

Despite what is said on these forums, New Jersey is a beautiful state once you get away from the "NJ turnpike" corridor, especially on the stretch between the GW bridge and exit 11.

I don't know about you, but if I could make a difference at the STATE level - that same level that causes so many of us to ***** about here (can't carry their guns in NJ), I would move there in a heartbeat, just so I could make a difference.

Or, I could be like some others, who prefer to stay on the sidelines and ***** about stuff, never making a real attempt at effecting change!

:cool:

'Drew

Sticky Grips
06-29-2011, 08:17
DON'T EVEN CONSIDER IT.

Putting aside the terrible gun laws, this place is filled with nasty, rude, and lazy mouth breathing savages. NJ isn't the armpit of America, its the left butt cheeck. You can guess where the rectum is..

We have nothing but problems with the people from New York City pouring into this place and destroying it. It was once a nice place circa 1960 ,but now is no diffetent than long island..just a suburb of NY. I hate this place.

Gallium
06-29-2011, 09:17
DON'T EVEN CONSIDER IT.

Putting aside the terrible gun laws, this place is filled with nasty, rude, and lazy mouth breathing savages. NJ isn't the armpit of America, its the left butt cheeck. You can guess where the rectum is..

We have nothing but problems with the people from New York City pouring into this place and destroying it. It was once a nice place circa 1960 ,but now is no diffetent than long island..just a suburb of NY. I hate this place.

Clearly, either your memory is foggy, or your rose colored glasses are fogged up.

Sticky Grips
06-29-2011, 09:40
Clearly, either your memory is foggy, or your rose colored glasses are fogged up.

Im not sure what you mean by that. Can you clarify?

GlockinNJ
06-29-2011, 09:48
OK, I can't take it anymore. Yes, there are lots of crappy things about NJ, but there are lots of great things too. It's my home and I love it.

For better or worse, we enjoy all four seasons in NJ. You don't have to travel too far to ski or snowboard in the winter. You can hop a train or ferry to NYC or DC in the spring to see a play, concert or do some sight seeing. Of course, we have some beautiful beaches to visit in the summer or rides some coasters at Six Flags or white water raft down the Delaware. In the fall, the weather gets crisp and you can go apple or pumpkin picking and take the kids on a hay ride on a nearby farm. There are many hiking/biking trails and beautiful vistas all over the state. And there are lots of good hearted people here too.

Like every place else, there are some bad neighborhoods and bad people. And, yes, the guns laws suck, no doubt about it. But, there's lots of beauty and culture too. Lots of people live here despite the gun laws and taxes for a reason. We deal with it because we've made the choice that the benefits outweight the costs. If/when that equation changes for me, I will move.

Ahmid
06-29-2011, 10:04
Stay out of Joisey at all costs...

BamaBud
06-29-2011, 11:24
OK, I can't take it anymore. Yes, there are lots of crappy things about NJ, but there are lots of great things too. It's my home and I love it.

Of course, we have some beautiful beaches to visit in the summer.

OK, This right here tells me you ARE delusional.

The beaches in NJ (i.e. "The Shore") are nature's garbage cans, at best. The sand is brown, for Christ's sake!:wow: I remember some being closed due to the presence of medical waste (needles, blood bags, etc).

Please, please, don't ever come down here and experience sugar white sand beaches (even after an oil spill). You'll want to stay.:tongueout:

Oh, one other thing, I paid as much in property taxes EACH MONTH as I paid for a similar house down here IN A YEAR.

RussP
06-29-2011, 11:35
Okay, Last Call for Civility.

If you don't like New Jersey, fine, but this is Carry Issues, not The Travel Channel Forum.

Get back on topic.

Lior
06-29-2011, 11:40
From what I have made out after years of reading GlockTalk posts, NJ is a kind of halfway house for swarthy immigrants rather than part of the U.S. where the Bill of Rights actually applies. The truth is probably different, but I've never been there.

Have clients in the good part of NJ where crime doesn't seem to be a problem but nobody would dream of owning guns.

Gunnut 45/454
06-29-2011, 11:43
Lady Glock
It sounds from your original post you really need to KEEP your Right to protect yourself!!!
So please do yourself a favor and don't go to NJ cause I'll bet money you'll not keep your right to protect yourself! And even if you did there are plenty of cases from NJ where if you used your pistol it's about guarrenteed you'd go to jail for doing so! You have no right of self dedefense in NJ! Your safety is more important then that job!:supergrin:

GlockinNJ
06-29-2011, 12:46

If you don't like New Jersey, fine, but this is Carry Issues, not The Travel Channel Forum.

Get back on topic.

Lock it! Sounds like the OP is SOL and this is just a Jersey bashing thread now.

windplex
06-29-2011, 12:52
things have changed over time in NJ. when i was a kid we had an open range next to a swimming beach -- no monitoring just a dirt berm back stop -- use it when you pleased.

when my dad was a kid in suburban nj he and his buddies went out for the day with their 22s and bought packs of 50 cartridges at the local drug store next to the gum. that nice town is 25 miles from nyc.

even when i was a kid there was a farm 2 miles from my home and my mother still buys a fresh turkey from a farm about30 minutes away -- she is 30 miles from NYC. my wife grew up across the street from a farm and was 25 miles from NYC.

wish the gun and self defense laws there were much more reasonable

Gunnut 45/454
06-29-2011, 14:40
GlockinNJ
It may be a NJ bashing thread but what that has been stated is false? NJ is one of the least firearms friend states right there with Komifornia, NY, MA and the like! You choose to live there so please don't get mad when others in FREE states point out that you lack the same rights as others! Yet you are an American -please tell us why you put up with your State trampling your rights as they do? Why would you expect us that enjoy the freedoms we do to give them up just to visit you state?:whistling:

GlockinNJ
06-29-2011, 15:33
GlockinNJ
It may be a NJ bashing thread but what that has been stated is false? NJ is one of the least firearms friend states right there with Komifornia, NY, MA and the like! You choose to live there so please don't get mad when others in FREE states point out that you lack the same rights as others! Yet you are an American -please tell us why you put up with your State trampling your rights as they do? Why would you expect us that enjoy the freedoms we do to give them up just to visit you state?:whistling:

I'll be the first to admit (as I have) that the NJ gun laws suck. But, this thread has gone far beyond that with statements like this: "Putting aside the terrible gun laws, this place is filled with nasty, rude, and lazy mouth breathing savages."

I will defend my home against statements like that. I have a good job here, my family and my wife's family live here and my kids are being raised in a great neighborhood, close to cultural centers that we take advantage of. I have many friends that aren't "savages", but are law-abiding, gun owning people that would give the shirts off their back to help someone in need. I was born and raised here and grew roots before I ever got my pistol permit. At this point, I'm not going to uproot my whole family just so that I can move to a place that let's me carry. It's a personal choice that, as an American, I am free to make.

windplex
06-29-2011, 15:43
i grew up there -- ok maybe that explains a lot to some of you;). plenty of very nice places. my brother in law had 55 acres and sold half to a friend if he wants to hunt he simply hunts on their shared land.

my sister has 5 acres and borders a reserve they can legally shoot 22s there and raise farm animals -- neighbor raises horses -- nice lifestyle and surprisingly close to nyc.

hopefully people will not judge nj by the new yorkers on the jersey shore, and will take the time to pull off the highway and drive a few miles to see some nice places.

BamaBud
06-29-2011, 15:44

Get back on topic.

Sorry, you're right. My apologies for contributing to the thread drift.

mpow66m
06-29-2011, 15:48
lived in NY in Dutchess County for 43 yrs.just moved to NJ last yr.....we r looking for a house in PA.
NJ makes NY look like AZ.
like NY it can be a beautiful state.....but its ruined by all the BS and most poloticians.
DONT MOVE TO NJ,LOOK INTO PA.THEY JUST PASED THE CASTLE DOCTRINE AND R VERY GUN FRIENDLY.
i live in northern NJ and its ''gun friendly'' here(hahaha).
STAY AWAY,IT WILL NEVER CHANGE!!!!:dunno:

Lady Glock
06-29-2011, 16:09
It looks like Stamford Connecticut is the closest place outside of NJ or NY to where the job would be. It's an option, everything else it really out of reach for commuting

windplex
06-29-2011, 16:12
It looks like Stamford Connecticut is the closest place outside of NJ or NY to where the job would be. It's an option, everything else it really out of reach for commuting

I don't know Oklahoma. but do know NJ a bit. In NJ people do not talk about miles of distance they tell you how long it takes to drive since miles and time are irrelevant.

versus here in the midwest we talk miles since there is virtually no traffic.

if you take the job you might want to rent/lease and see how the commute is before buying anything. even short commutes can take some time. this might give you extra freedom to try more than one place to live.

Places Rated Almanac is a paper book and worth the $30 for any one considering a transfer. you can compare most anything in the top 350 cities.

AlexHassin
06-29-2011, 18:04
you are jokeing right? i thought when i took the subway from the bronx to queens for work was bad.

windplex
06-29-2011, 18:19
when i worked in nj/nyc i commuted 20 to 38 miles to the first sales call.

i could commute after and before the rush hours (back then they were not as bad) nyc 38 miles was 1:15 min to nyc -- 20 min minimum for the tunnel into the city. if you hit rush hour -- i'd pull off the road and have a meal and do paperwork.

commutes there have become brutal in the last 2-3 decades. worth knowing so you can consider.

bakerj
06-29-2011, 18:21
No BBQ sucks. But they have Porkroll!:supergrin:

When I left NJ in 89 or so I found this awesome new food, never heard of or seen one before... a Taco!

Left when they made it Illegal to have my legally purchased pair of HK 91's..

Now when I go home for a visit, I stay in PA and drive over for the day.

Lady Glock
06-29-2011, 18:40
Thank you for the commute tips...that could make a big difference in our decision!

RenegadeGlocker
06-29-2011, 18:59
Maybe my arguement will be more convincing. I will even go as far as to take in a mugshot of my attacker

Doesn't matter. You think you are the only one in NJ with an attacker released from prison?

Live in PA and commute.

windplex
06-29-2011, 19:01
OK the pluses of NJ:
Easy access to NYC -- one of the best cities ever.
Snow Skiing an hour drive from north central.
The shore - an hour drive from north central.
DC - 4 or 5 hours
Phily - 4 hours
Boston - 4 hours
Vermont, Maine, Mass, new hampshire, upstate NY -- within a reasonable drive
Best tomatoes.
Superb corn.
Local apples and produce.
Go to the right places to get fresh fish from the NYC fish market each morning.
Gambling if you want it north or south.
there are more good things; many truly nice places to live

Gallium
06-29-2011, 20:12
Thank you for the commute tips...that could make a big difference in our decision!

Lady Glock,

If you have to get to work anywhere near rush hour, and you're going to Central or South NJ, Stamford CT is fine, except you have to traverse the country's "worst" roadway - the Cross Bronx Expressway.

You could drive across the Cross Westchester (I-287) and over the Tappan Zee bridge, but rush hour is bad, and reverse rush hour (for you that would be driving into NJ after 3pm, back into NY in the mornings) is one of the seven levels of Dante's Inferno.

If you wish, send me a PM with the town in NJ you are looking to work in and I can provide some guidance.

While I am a staunch gun-rights advocate, my existence does not revolve around guns. As I said earlier in this thread, I've lived and visited many places - never had a gun, never felt naked. Anyone who tells you they would never VISIT "X" place because of that locality's position on gun possession and ownership...that person is depriving his or herself of experiences that enrichen one's life.

'Drew

Fedor
06-29-2011, 20:18
I wouldnt live in that cesspool for any amount of money. :ack: