9mm SD Choices, and also in Comparison to 357SIG [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 9mm SD Choices, and also in Comparison to 357SIG

glock20c10mm
06-28-2011, 14:20
Hi Mas, :wavey:

Within the "Shoot to Live" video from ~1990, you mentioned a preference for Corbon 9mm 115gr +P+ @ ~1360fps, along with one of the Federal 9mm 115gr loads. (Based on warm weather carry specifically.)

Recently (6-17-11) you mentioned; "My preferred carry load for the 9mm is the Winchester Ranger-T 127 grain +P+. The Speer Gold Dot is VERY close as a second choice. Either one will get ya through the night."

Cost of ammo aside, what changed your mind toward warm weather carry favorite(s)?

And, where do you feel the current loadings of 9mm 115gr +P/+P+ stand in regard to the average gun toting nonLE civilian, compared to all bullet weights and other calibers available overall?

Lastly, based on currently available factory loadings, if cost and availability were not a concern, would you choose 357SIG over most any 9mm load, except for maybe the times you require a platform smaller than a G33?

Thanks,
Craig

Mas Ayoob
06-28-2011, 19:33
The CorBon earned my appreciation by reliably delivering a very wide wound channel about 10" deep. Today's 127 grain +P+ Winchester delivers a similar wound channel +/-3" deeper, and as you know is my personal first choice. The 124 +P Gold Dot is a close second, for similar reasons. 115 grain CorBon and the Winchester 115 grain +P+ and Federal 9BPLE +P+ would be third on my list personally. If I was in a situation where I WANTED less penetration, of course, the hot 115s would go to the top of my list.

When I carry a 9mm it's usually for one of two reasons, one of which you've already noted: wide availability in a wide choice of loads when ammo has to be replenished while traveling. The other is that I often shoot matches on the road, mostly IDPA and GSSF. In neither does the power and flatter trajectory of the .357 SIG offer me any match advantage that offsets the slightly greater recoil/muzzle jump and the consequent slight increase in time between shots as distances increase.

That said, I don't see .357 SIG being either as widely distributed or as cheaply available anytime soon.

best,
Mas