CT State Park Carry [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : CT State Park Carry

glock_ME
06-28-2011, 18:17
Everything I have found says that the CT DEP prohibits carry in state parks.

I also found this stating that the penalty for such an infraction is very small.

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2010/rpt/2010-R-0472.htm

I also have spoken to a guy that works for the CT DEP ENCON police that claims while it is technically illegal to carry in state parks they don't usually hassle people for doing so if they are behaving themselves...Obviously that wouldn't stand up in court.

Does anyone have any additional input on this topic?

(Waiting for "concealed means concealed" and "open carry could have prevented this" responses...:whistling:)

OldCurlyWolf
06-29-2011, 00:13
According to what I have read, unless you have a CT out of state permit, you had better not carry at any time when in CT since you seem to be from Maine and CT does NOT honor any other state.

glock_ME
06-29-2011, 07:07
According to what I have read, unless you have a CT out of state permit, you had better not carry at any time when in CT since you seem to be from Maine and CT does NOT honor any other state.

I do have my CT non-res ccw permit (see my signature line...).

:wavey:

Gary Slider
06-29-2011, 07:53
http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/CTAGOpinionOnCarryInParks_Forests_While%20Hunting.pdf

Is a link to the CT AG Opinion on the Question you are asking.

glock_ME
06-29-2011, 10:36
http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/CTAGOpinionOnCarryInParks_Forests_While%20Hunting.pdf

Is a link to the CT AG Opinion on the Question you are asking.

I believe that is the same document I linked above in my first post, no?

In any event, it appears the penalty is small and the AG is almost highlighting the fact that there is almost no deterrence offered by such a miniscule penalty.

Gary Slider
06-29-2011, 10:43
It is the same doc. Sorry about that.

glock_ME
06-29-2011, 10:46
It is the same doc. Sorry about that.

No worries. Thanks for trying to help.

BK63
06-29-2011, 21:05
I've had some conversations with DEP because there is also the law in the link above about hunting that says you can't carry a handgun in state forrest because it's evidence of hunting. I walk the trails a lot, and have come up on some unfriendly dogs and would not go if I could not carry. It's not like I'm going shooting squirrels and rabbits with a 45. I was basically told unofficially if you are concealed and not drawing attention you are most likely never going to run into a problem. I would much rather have it and not need it, than need it, and not have it because I was afraid of some grey area law.

glock_ME
06-30-2011, 04:38
I've had some conversations with DEP because there is also the law in the link above about hunting that says you can't carry a handgun in state forrest because it's evidence of hunting. I walk the trails a lot, and have come up on some unfriendly dogs and would not go if I could not carry. It's not like I'm going shooting squirrels and rabbits with a 45. I was basically told unofficially if you are concealed and not drawing attention you are most likely never going to run into a problem. I would much rather have it and not need it, than need it, and not have it because I was afraid of some grey area law.

This is exactly what I was told on 2 separate occasions by 2 different DEP/ENCON employees. I'm starting to wonder if they have an unwritten common sense policy that goes against the official policy.

If the penalty is a small fine and removal from the park I'm willing to take my chances.