Win 7 help [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Win 7 help

361cop
06-28-2011, 18:25
I just updated to Win7 bout 3 weeks ago and am looking for a certain feature I had on Vista.

On Vista, I could hook up my laptop to my TV via HDMI and change the sound profiles to where I could control the volume through the TV.

Now that I have Win7, I cant find that feature, if that exists.

Does anyone have any idea if it can be done on Win7?

Thanks.

gemeinschaft
06-28-2011, 20:38
I don't know, but the first question I would ask if you are using the Default driver for your sound card or if you took the time to load the driver from the manufacturer's website?

The default driver will not have all of the bells and whistles that the manufacturer's driver should have.

361cop
06-28-2011, 21:35
Never downloaded anything. Just plugged in my HDMI into my TV and laptop.

thinking its a software issue since I havent changed anything except from Vista to Win7.

gemeinschaft
06-28-2011, 21:45
Ok, go to the manufacturer's website and download the Video Card Driver and install it.

Let me know what happens.

(Make sure it is the driver for Win7) You will likely need to know if you have a 32 bit OS or 64 bit OS.

If you don't know, go 32 bit. :whistling:

361cop
06-28-2011, 22:37
Ok, go to the manufacturer's website and download the Video Card Driver and install it.

Let me know what happens.

(Make sure it is the driver for Win7) You will likely need to know if you have a 32 bit OS or 64 bit OS.

If you don't know, go 32 bit. :whistling:

Did all I could do, no dice. O well, guess I found one thing that Vista is better at.

gemeinschaft
06-28-2011, 22:50
I would be surprised if that was the case, what kind of laptop is it?

GIockGuy24
06-29-2011, 05:04
It may be the version of Windows Vista compared the version of Windows 7. Your version of Windows 7 may be more stripped down than the version of Windows Vista.

havensal
06-29-2011, 09:07
I have sound via HDMI on my PC. Win7 Home Premium. I can't remember off the top of my head how I set it up, but I know it can be. I think you may have to switch the default sound device in the control panel. :dunno:

gemeinschaft
06-29-2011, 09:37
I just re-read the OP and I think I missed something here.

Have you already checked the Control Panel and selected HDMI as your output sound device?

Control Panel --> Sound --> Playback Tab

There should be a list of devices. If HDMI is not listed, then you need to find the correct driver for that device. You may also need to go back to the manufacturer's website and start loading the specific drivers for your machine, ie. chipset drivers and the whole nine yards.

Windows 7 is pretty good about filling in any missing drivers with generalized drivers that will get your running, but without the specific drivers for your devices, you may lose some functionality.

Depending who made your laptop, many times they have an ordered list that you need to follow when installing drivers.

I hope that helps.

361cop
06-29-2011, 19:10
I have a Dell Studio 17.

I did check the Dell site with my service tag and everything that I have is current.

The HDMI setting worked fine under vista, so I am thinking what someone stated, my version on Win7 prob doesn't have that feature.

I have the upgrade version of Win7 that Vista users can buy to switch to Win7.

I am not skilled enough to wipe my harddrive and do a fresh Win7 install with a better copy of Win7.

does f disk still exist?

gemeinschaft
06-29-2011, 19:56
I have a Dell Studio 17.

I did check the Dell site with my service tag and everything that I have is current.

The HDMI setting worked fine under vista, so I am thinking what someone stated, my version on Win7 prob doesn't have that feature.

I have the upgrade version of Win7 that Vista users can buy to switch to Win7.

I am not skilled enough to wipe my harddrive and do a fresh Win7 install with a better copy of Win7.

does f disk still exist?

I have this feature enabled on a Windows 7 Machine at my house, so I know it is not the Operating System preventing you from doing it.