Video card help please [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Video card help please

GotGlock1917
06-28-2011, 19:06
Hi folks.

I'm having video issues and want to replace my card.

My PC is a Dell XPS-400 bought in August of '06.
It came with a GeForce 7900 which developed memory issues and I replaced it with a BFG Tech GeForce 8600 GT 512 in Jan. '08.

This is for a PCI Express x16 slot.
All the new cards are PCIe 2.0 or 2.1.
Going by date, I assume my motherboard slot is for PCIe 1.1 but I can't find anything to verify that. The Dell manual just says PCI Express x16.

My question is, if I buy a PCIe 2.0 or 2.1 card will it be back compatible with my motherboard?
Will it function as advertised? I'm thinking a 2.0 card will only run at 1.1 specs if, in fact, it is a 1.1 slot.

ALSO, if I may, what chip sets and manufacturers do you like?
What would you recommend for a replacement?

Most of what we do is on my wife's iMac now.
I use this PC for astronomy software and fairly light gaming.
COD 2
Silent Hunter 4
Doom 3
MS Flight Simulator X

Mostly old stuff.

Thanks!

gemeinschaft
06-28-2011, 20:20
Can I get the SVC TAG of your Dell so I can look up the Motherboard, this may at least tell us exactly what you have.

GotGlock1917
06-28-2011, 20:24
Can I get the SVC TAG of your Dell so I can look up the Motherboard, this may at least tell us exactly what you have.

Tomorrow night. I don't have it with me here at work. :embarassed:

gemeinschaft
06-28-2011, 20:28
Tomorrow night. I don't have it with me here at work. :embarassed:

Ok. If you want to look on your own and post it, get the SVC TAG and put it into their Support Portal.

Click on the Original Configuration Tab and it will show you exactly what parts it came with.

Sometimes, they will switch Motherboards during the production cycle, so model number alone will not be enough to know.

In the meantime, I am looking around for answer to see if those cards are backward compatible, because I don't know.

GotGlock1917
06-28-2011, 20:56
Thanks. I'll bring it in tomorrow and see what Dell says.

I hope it's the card. I'd hate to buy a new one and not fix the problem.

Detectorist
06-29-2011, 05:40
Hi folks.

I'm having video issues and want to replace my card.

My PC is a Dell XPS-400 bought in August of '06.
It came with a GeForce 7900 which developed memory issues and I replaced it with a BFG Tech GeForce 8600 GT 512 in Jan. '08.

This is for a PCI Express x16 slot.
All the new cards are PCIe 2.0 or 2.1.
Going by date, I assume my motherboard slot is for PCIe 1.1 but I can't find anything to verify that. The Dell manual just says PCI Express x16.

My question is, if I buy a PCIe 2.0 or 2.1 card will it be back compatible with my motherboard?
Will it function as advertised? I'm thinking a 2.0 card will only run at 1.1 specs if, in fact, it is a 1.1 slot.

ALSO, if I may, what chip sets and manufacturers do you like?
What would you recommend for a replacement?

Most of what we do is on my wife's iMac now.
I use this PC for astronomy software and fairly light gaming.
COD 2
Silent Hunter 4
Doom 3
MS Flight Simulator X

Mostly old stuff.

Thanks!

What issues are you experiencing? Doesn't BFG have a lifetime warranty?

GotGlock1917
06-29-2011, 16:23
What issues are you experiencing? Doesn't BFG have a lifetime warranty?

BFG is defunct.

I was playing COD 2 when the game play suddenly became slow and jerky.
I ran Silent Hunter 4 and game play seemed ok but menu items were slow and jerky.
I ran MS Flight Sim X and it was so slow that it is unflyable.
Doom 3 seemed ok.

Restarting the computer, re-seating the card and cleaning the edge connector and PCIe slot with alcohol, and reloading the latest drivers didn't help.

Normal PC operations seem ok. Just the gaming is bad.

One good thing. When I dug up the box my 8600 GT came in I found my original 7900 GS in it. When I get a time I will put it in and install the drivers and see if it corrects the problem.
I replaced the 7900 because it was causing intermittent BSODs and diagnostics revealed a memory glitch in it. It should still work well enough to see if this is a card problem or motherboard problem.

GotGlock1917
06-29-2011, 23:10
Ok, my service tag is 7ZDJMB1 and it says my motherboard is a part number CJ781 (Dell Xps/Dimension 400/9150 Chassis, PWA Integrated, V2)

I hunted around but still can't determine what type of PCIe x16 slot it has.
From what I have researched, it appears I can use any version of PCIe x16 as long as my PSU is sufficient.
I only have a 375W PSU so I'm still limited unless I want to put a new PSU in.

That's not a big deal but how much money do you keep putting into a machine that you already paid nearly $2000 for 5 years ago?

HotRoderX
06-29-2011, 23:16
According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express most PCI Express cards are backwards compatible. Which is what I was thinking only down side to popping in a compatible card would be

1. Can the power supply handle it
2. Its gonna run slower then if its was a PCI Express 2.x card

I don't know what the money situation looks like but might just wanna look at upgrading the entire computer if you plan to do a high end video card.

As far as cards go I recommend ATI unless you live in colder clement. I have found the Nvidia Space Heater/Video card hybrids to work wonders up north.

GotGlock1917
06-29-2011, 23:26
According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express most PCI Express cards are backwards compatible. Which is what I was thinking only down side to popping in a compatible card would be

1. Can the power supply handle it
2. Its gonna run slower then if its was a PCI Express 2.x card

I don't know what the money situation looks like but might just wanna look at upgrading the entire computer if you plan to do a high end video card.

As far as cards go I recommend ATI unless you live in colder clement. I have found the Nvidia Space Heater/Video card hybrids to work wonders up north.

Instead of going high end I'm thinking about a GeForce 9500 or 9800. They can still go with a 375W PSU. Anything above that and I can put an Antec 500W in for $70 bucks.
Total outlay could be less than $150.

And, yeah, I suspect that a PCIe 2.0 card won't live up to its potential in a 1.1 slot. Still, a 1G 9800 should be an improvement over a 512 8600. I hope.

When I do upgrade my entire system, I will build it all from scratch.

I've never built one but I have replaced every single component inside a PC so I should have no problem building one. It's just a matter of making sure everything I order will be compatible and suited to it's purpose.

HotRoderX
06-29-2011, 23:32
Instead of going high end I'm thinking about a GeForce 9500 or 9800. They can still go with a 375W PSU. Anything above that and I can put an Antec 500W in for $70 bucks.
Total outlay could be less than $150.

And, yeah, I suspect that a PCIe 2.0 card won't live up to its potential in a 1.1 slot. Still, a 1G 9800 should be an improvement over a 512 8600. I hope.

When I do upgrade my entire system, I will build it all from scratch.

I've never built one but I have replaced every single component inside a PC so I should have no problem building one. It's just a matter of making sure everything I order will be compatible and suited to it's purpose.

It will still be a huge improvement over what you have with out having to upgrade the Power supply.

When you do go to rebuild keep in mind Harddrive's, DVD/CD drives and cases are parts you can re use.

gemeinschaft
06-29-2011, 23:37
I have searched high and low and I can't seem to find any specs on the Video Card slot on your MB.

Dell's consumer side support is lacking, to say the least.

GotGlock1917
06-29-2011, 23:42
I have searched high and low and I can't seem to find any specs on the Video Card slot on your MB.

Dell's consumer side support is lacking, to say the least.

Well, I certainly appreciate your efforts.
I hate buying stuff when I can't know for sure if it is going to work right or even solve the problem.
I guess sometimes you just have to take your chances.

It's a shame when something you paid $2k for is almost obsolete in less than 5 years and you can't even be sure of replacement parts for it.

My thanks to all in this thread. :wavey:

molanginaeda
06-30-2011, 08:49
What is your CPU spec? Don't waste your money on getting a better video card, while the CPU cannot handle the load.

Your video card is just one of the problem. When playing newer game, you need a powerful video card, CPU and memory. I think it's time to upgrade your PC.

GotGlock1917
06-30-2011, 17:18
What is your CPU spec? Don't waste your money on getting a better video card, while the CPU cannot handle the load.

Your video card is just one of the problem. When playing newer game, you need a powerful video card, CPU and memory. I think it's time to upgrade your PC.

Pentium D 940 dual core, 3.2G, 800 FSB.
4GB ram.

Thing is, I've been using the same card in the same PC with the same games for years. This lag problem suddenly started just a few days ago in the middle of game play.

I'm not looking to go to a high end card. Probably just upgrade from an nVidia 8600 GT to a 9500 or 9800. $60 to $100.

I just wish I knew if the problem was actually the video card.

GotGlock1917
07-02-2011, 17:07
I have four 1GB ram sticks in this computer and the set up verifies that.
I just discovered that when I look at settings/control panel/system/general it says I only have 3 GB ram.

Could losing one gig make my video card behave so abysmally?
The pc only came with 2GB and I added 2 more.

m2hmghb
07-02-2011, 17:28
Windows 32 bit only recognizes around 3 gigs of ram. 64 bit can recognize an enormous amount. I don't know what I'd do in your situation to be honest. Replace the card but make sure it's SLI/crossfire compatible in case you have to get a new pc is what I'd say.

If the computer is going you can build a new one using that video card and adding an additional. Never go cheap on the PSU, I love my corsair 850 watt. You should take a look into the intel 1155 line up just to keep aware of it. You should be able to get a decent set up for under a grand, 2 cheaper video cards 750 watt psu 4-8 gigs ram hard drive cpu and mother board.

GotGlock1917
07-02-2011, 18:01
When I get back home I am going to try msinfo32 and/or task manager/processes/performance to see how much ram they are seeing.

I have already ordered a new video card from Newegg.
I got an inexpensive nVidia 9500GT 1G. It should be an improvement over the 8600GT that's giving me trouble.

I only have a 375W PSU and the 9800 wanted at least a 400W.

When I build my new pc it will have a high wattage PSU and a couple of high end nVidia cards. Until then I don't mind spending $65 bucks to keep this Dell running. It has been a good machine for 5 years but I will never buy a factory built again.

m2hmghb
07-02-2011, 18:22
When I get back home I am going to try msinfo32 and/or task manager/processes/performance to see how much ram they are seeing.

I have already ordered a new video card from Newegg.
I got an inexpensive nVidia 9500GT 1G. It should be an improvement over the 8600GT that's giving me trouble.

I only have a 375W PSU and the 9800 wanted at least a 400W.

When I build my new pc it will have a high wattage PSU and a couple of high end nVidia cards. Until then I don't mind spending $65 bucks to keep this Dell running. It has been a good machine for 5 years but I will never buy a factory built again.

My moment was with a dell laptop. The computer that I built 8-9 years ago to replace that still runs well. I moved on to another AMD machine and now I'm using an Intel 1366 machine with an overclocked processor. Building your own computer is kind of freeing, you realize you don't need to rely on someone to build it or fix it.

A couple things, for the case you either want filters on all intakes and clean them every 1-2 weeks or you want no filters and clean it every month. I typically run a paint brush on the fans and use compressed air on the inside of the case while running a vacuum a foot away to suck away the dust. Don't bother mixing the filters and fans. Filters make for easier maintenance but it's more often, and they also reduce the cooling performance.

For the video cards I'd probably go Nvidia, ATI has been screwing around too much for me to recommend them anymore(they were selling too many of the older cards so they discontinued them to force people to upgrade if they wanted a 2nd card). I read an article about power consumption, it stated that you should expect to pay the purchase price of a high end video card in electricity every 2 years.

Currently the 1155 socket is the best on the market for most uses, get the I7 edition unlocked and you can have fun. I've read reports of overclocking up to 5 gigs on air. I've gotten my 1366 to over 3.8 gigs but I keep it around 3.5. I plan on using a corsair H50 water cooler on it shortly.

GotGlock1917
07-02-2011, 18:47
My moment was with a dell laptop. The computer that I built 8-9 years ago to replace that still runs well. I moved on to another AMD machine and now I'm using an Intel 1366 machine with an overclocked processor. Building your own computer is kind of freeing, you realize you don't need to rely on someone to build it or fix it.

A couple things, for the case you either want filters on all intakes and clean them every 1-2 weeks or you want no filters and clean it every month. I typically run a paint brush on the fans and use compressed air on the inside of the case while running a vacuum a foot away to suck away the dust. Don't bother mixing the filters and fans. Filters make for easier maintenance but it's more often, and they also reduce the cooling performance.

For the video cards I'd probably go Nvidia, ATI has been screwing around too much for me to recommend them anymore(they were selling too many of the older cards so they discontinued them to force people to upgrade if they wanted a 2nd card). I read an article about power consumption, it stated that you should expect to pay the purchase price of a high end video card in electricity every 2 years.

Currently the 1155 socket is the best on the market for most uses, get the I7 edition unlocked and you can have fun. I've read reports of overclocking up to 5 gigs on air. I've gotten my 1366 to over 3.8 gigs but I keep it around 3.5. I plan on using a corsair H50 water cooler on it shortly.

Thanks for the info.

I've been pricing all the main components needed to build a basic machine and it is amazing how cheap you can build a great pc.
There is an awful lot to choose from regarding cases and motherboards.

When I actually get ready to start planning my build I'll be here asking more questions.

m2hmghb
07-02-2011, 19:02
Things change all the time. When intel or amd release their new chips the old ones will drop even lower. They're getting more efficient at making the chips which means less waste which means lower prices. The 1155 is the best example of it, it's replaced the 1366 and 1156 chipsets at a more affordable price(1366 is used by enthusiasts still). AMD has the edge on multicore but intel has the edge in performance per core.

The nice thing about computer cases is customizing them. I have 2 extra fans that I made a custom bracket for giving me over 120 more CFM of airflow. One thing you migth want to think about too is fan type. The OEM fans in regular cases are right in the middle of noise/performance. You can get quieter fans and more powerful fans, sometimes both. The bigger the fan the more efficient it will be and the quieter it can be.

GotGlock1917
07-02-2011, 19:20
I see a huge variety in cases with a huge range in prices. That will be my hardest decision.

GotGlock1917
07-12-2011, 17:14
Well, I got my new video card and installed it this weekend.

It fixed my problem and then some.
As I stated I was running an BFG Tech 512M 8600 GT OC2 in my old dell and replaced it with a EVGA 1G 9500 GT. So now things are better than before the old card got flakey.

I also replaced 4G of ram with faster ram and it clearly improved the system performance all around.

m2hmghb
07-12-2011, 19:05
Good job!