Animal fodder as human food. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Animal fodder as human food.

Unistat
06-28-2011, 19:16
My cousin noticed that the animal feed grains at Tractor Supply cost a fraction of what a comparable amount would be if it was labeled for human consumption.

Is this fodder safe, or can it be made safe for people to eat?

I know that the feed corn is not sweet corn, but you can make corn meal from it. Do you need to process the wheat and oats differently as well?

fmfdocglock
06-28-2011, 19:29
My cousin noticed that the animal feed grains at Tractor Supply were a fraction of what a comparable amount would be if it was labeled for human consumption.

Is this fodder safe, or can it be made safe for people to eat?

I know that the feed corn is not sweet corn, but you can make corn meal from it. Do you need to process the wheat and oats differently as well?

Read the label to make certain it has not been treated with sub-therapeutic concentrations of antibiotics or other types of supplements that may be harmful to humans.

quake
06-28-2011, 22:15
Often (but not always) animal feed isn't cleaned as well as grain meant for human consumption. More dust, dirt & even pebbles, more pesticides, and possibly more natural contaminants like fungi & their byproducts. First thing to look at imo is the bag label & make sure it's listed as having no more than 20ppb aflatoxin; the upper limit typically allowed for human consumption. With good cleaning & inspection, I've got no problem with eating "animal" grains - dividing grain into 'animal food' and 'people food' is a very new phenomenon in human history; just within the last few decades really.

Side note, Newman's Own dog treats are VERY good, and the list of ingredients will stun you - probably the healthiest thing in the house. My wife quit buying them for me after I refused to quit eating them simply because her friends were sometimes around. :rant:

lawman800
06-29-2011, 03:21
Side note, Newman's Own dog treats are VERY good, and the list of ingredients will stun you - probably the healthiest thing in the house. My wife quit buying them for me after I refused to quit eating them simply because her friends were sometimes around. :rant:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Oh man... the look on their faces must be priceless!

quake
06-29-2011, 06:51
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Oh man... the look on their faces must be priceless!

Can't help their ignorance or food-snobbery... :supergrin:

Fwiw, the ingredients list of the chicken snacks (my favorite):
Ingredients - Organic Barley Flour, Ground Chicken, Organic Carrots, Organic Apples, Chicken Fat (Preserved Naturally with Mixed Tocopherols and Lecithin), Rolled Oats, Rosemary Extract.

All kidding aside, really may be about the healthiest thing in the pantry. :dunno:

Unistat
06-29-2011, 08:04
With good cleaning & inspection, I've got no problem with eating "animal" grains...

By cleaning, do mean the tossing and blowing away of dross and stuff (I think it's called winnowing) or some other process?

R_W
06-29-2011, 10:58
I swear horse feed corn is cleaner than what goes in corn flakes. Talk about feed snobs.

RWBlue
06-29-2011, 11:18

So she trained you to sit, stay, and even speak, but you couldn't be trained to not eat until commanded. :rofl:

A relative dared another relative to eat a worm at the family reunion. He ate the worm. My aunt was mortified. This guys wife would not kiss him after that. They wanted to dare me, but I side stepped it by eating smores.

quake
06-29-2011, 14:06
By cleaning, do mean the tossing and blowing away of dross and stuff (I think it's called winnowing) or some other process?

Winnowing in front of a simple box fan & even simple water-rinsing before use if need be. I wouldn't rinse it before storage; moisture in storage is a very bad thing. But a quick (and non-saturating) screen- or colander-rinse before use, then let dry before grinding; unless there's some microbial or chemical contamination, it should be better-cleaned than what our parents grew up on back in the 20's & 30's.

On the topic of chemical contamination, be sure you don't buy seed wheat (or other seed grains) unless the only other option is to not eat anything at all. "Feed wheat" ok, "seed wheat" not ok. Seed wheat is usually treated with pesticides to protect it from bugs, sometimes heavily. Feed wheat is intended to be eaten 'as is', just not necessarily by humans, and so doesn't have the insecticide treatment.

So she trained you to sit, stay, and even speak, but you couldn't be trained to not eat until commanded. :rofl:
Mainly, she's trained me that even though I'm technically in charge and always have ultimate veto power, there's just no profit in angering or embarrassing her unnecessarily. Our 25th anniversary coming up in a matter of days, and that's one lesson that I picked up on after only only ten or twelve years.

Ronaldo
06-29-2011, 14:39
Hmmm...

I may have to look into 'Newmans Own'. I know all their people products are both healthy and tasty.

My son, when a little kid, used to steal the milk bones from our dog. He claimed they tasted great. I ate one just to see and although it was a bit bland, had no ill effects from it, other than a desire to chase cars and scratch. :supergrin:

Ron in Texas

RWBlue
06-29-2011, 15:39
Mainly, she's trained me that even though I'm technically in charge and always have ultimate veto power, there's just no profit in angering or embarrassing her unnecessarily. Our 25th anniversary coming up in a matter of days, and that's one lesson that I picked up on after only only ten or twelve years.

I feel for you. All the women in my life have decided that I am un-trainable.

lawman800
06-30-2011, 10:47
Can't help their ignorance or food-snobbery... :supergrin:

Fwiw, the ingredients list of the chicken snacks (my favorite):

All kidding aside, really may be about the healthiest thing in the pantry. :dunno:

That sounds healthier than anything I ate lately!

The Wizard
06-30-2011, 11:21
In the previews of the upcoming episode of Dual Survival, they find a can of dog food. It looks like ALPO is on the menu.

cyrsequipment
06-30-2011, 12:11
In the previews of the upcoming episode of Dual Survival, they find a can of dog food. It looks like ALPO is on the menu.

They are supposedly doing it in Maine... not really survival in this state, pretty normal.

Newcop761
07-01-2011, 12:27

That's what I plan on eating when I retire...

cyrsequipment
07-01-2011, 12:43
That's what I plan on eating when I retire...

Bernie Madoff investor?

Newcop761
07-01-2011, 13:18
.gov employee. I'm concerned with all the talk about our pensions being cut by 10+ percent...

Actually I'm putting money into a Roth IRA and some additional investments, and putting about 17+% of my income into TSP (kind of like a 401K or 403b for the .gov).

cyrsequipment
07-01-2011, 13:30
.gov employee. I'm concerned with all the talk about our pensions being cut by 10+ percent...

Actually I'm putting money into a Roth IRA and some additional investments, and putting about 17+% of my income into TSP (kind of like a 401K or 403b for the .gov).

Yea, I'm familiar I worked there twice now... maybe 3 times if my current job ends.

DISPENSER 4 HIRE
08-12-2011, 17:05
Seriously, don't use animal feed unless you are eyeing the neighbors and your mouth is watering. Google "aflotoxins". Food for humans is tested for aflotoxins, food for animals not so much.

wiskeyVI
08-12-2011, 19:10
Purina Monkey Chow is supposed to be pretty darn healthy.

lawman800
08-12-2011, 20:11
Sad to say that a lot of the pet food lists way healthier ingredients than a lot of the good I eat.

Unistat
08-13-2011, 08:09
Seriously, don't use animal feed unless you are eyeing the neighbors and your mouth is watering. Google "aflotoxins". Food for humans is tested for aflotoxins, food for animals not so much.

Quake covered aflatoxins in post number three. I did Google it and will check to make sure it's 20 ppb or less.

Cavalry Doc
08-13-2011, 08:38
I'll just eat the animals instead. Half a bag of corn in a pig trap will go a lot farther toward feeding you than the bag of corn itself.

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p158/CavalryDoc/Photo0027.jpg

ekmek
08-13-2011, 13:24
How about cannon-fodder as human food?

lawman800
08-13-2011, 13:36
Hard to trap animals in los angeles. If I lay out food as you say, I would trap maybe possums and raccoons. As for cannon fodder, is that before or after they get blown to bits?

PirateLookingAtForty
08-26-2011, 03:11
Often (but not always) animal feed isn't cleaned as well as grain meant for human consumption. More dust, dirt & even pebbles, more pesticides, and possibly more natural contaminants like fungi & their byproducts. First thing to look at imo is the bag label & make sure it's listed as having no more than 20ppb aflatoxin; the upper limit typically allowed for human consumption. With good cleaning & inspection, I've got no problem with eating "animal" grains - dividing grain into 'animal food' and 'people food' is a very new phenomenon in human history; just within the last few decades really.

Not sure if serious...

quake
08-26-2011, 05:52
Completely. My wife originally started buying them for her 'special' dog, and they smelled so good I tried them. After that, there were a pretty regular thing for me for a while. They're a lot like a cross between an animal cracker and a triscuit if you can imagine that comination.

That said, also bear in mind my earlier comment in that post - it's only been VERY recently in human history that 'people food' and 'animal food' have been seen and treated as distinct categories; for most of history, food was simply 'food'. Wheat is wheat, barley is barley, salt is salt, etc. Based on the ingredient list:
Ingredients - Organic Barley Flour, Ground Chicken, Organic Carrots, Organic Apples, Chicken Fat (Preserved Naturally with Mixed Tocopherols and Lecithin), Rolled Oats, Rosemary Extract.

If a person didn't read the words "pet treats" on the package, it sounds like a yuppie health-food product.

Do I regularly eat a lot of things processed specifically for animals? No; there's just too much uncleaned, processed, and unhealthy crap in it nowadays. For that matter, other than better cleaning, the same could be said about most processed grocery store items as well - much more processed and unhealthy than it should be.

But to answer your question, yes; completely serious. They're pretty good, and pretty healthy, stuff.

[eta - don't take that as a suggestion that many (or maybe any) others are good. I know that milkbones kind of suck (not terrible, but like half rice-cake and half sawdust), and regular dry dog food seriously sucks - largely tastes like it's half ash and half dried blood.}

Unistat
08-26-2011, 08:09
It's interesting to study what was considered "human food" vs. fodder in the past. For example in the early Victorian era, carrots were mostly considered fodder and only poor folks would eat them. That was true about a lot of root veggies.

My favorite is that the servants on the east coast used to complain if they were served lobster too many times a week. After all, a bottom feeding sea insect was obviously barely fit for human consumption.