Extraction Problems with 9mm 'Conversion' Barrel in Glock 23 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Extraction Problems with 9mm 'Conversion' Barrel in Glock 23

sourdough44
06-29-2011, 05:15
I tried out my KKM 9mm barrel in my Glock 23 the other day, factory Glock 9mm mags too. I had serious extraction problems, about every 4th round failed to come out. The next fresh round was jammed trying to get inserted into the chamber with the empty still there. This was the same over the course of several magazines. These same loads work fine in my 2 other 9mms.

I just got back and have not looked anything over yet. Before I go further, or just stick with the 40 cal, is there an easy fix? Would an extractor change help & is it something a mid-grade shade tree gunsmith can handle? If this is how it is I'll cut my losses & stick with the 40, if it just takes a minor alteration I may continue. I was at least wanting higher reliability for woods carry if able. I do realize the 40 itself is fine. When I did switch back to the 40 reliability was back to great.

JR
07-04-2011, 13:52
First of all, lets get your nomenclature up to speed:
1) Failure to come out is referred to as Failure To Eject FTE.
2) Fresh round jamming... is referred to as Double Feed.

Your problem is with the power of the cheap 115 gr ammunition you are shooting. All feed and extraction issues should resolve themselves by using 124 or 147 gr ammunition. You may find the following information useful:

About 1% of our 9mm conversion barrels are affected by the poor performance of low powered 115 grain ammunition causing a Failure To Eject (FTE). A good example of ammunition that is “most likely to fail” is Winchester White Box (WWB). This rare failure is too low a percentage to make an issue, however it is one we are well aware of. The fix to resolve this issue is quite simple:

1 Clean and lube your slide and barrel.
2 Shoot 1 mag to 1 box of good quality +P or +P+ ammunition through the barrel.
3 Try the FTF ammunition again. If it runs... great! If you experience more failures you will have a couple choices to make:
Fix A Reduce the recoil spring weight to 11 lbs. Cost is about $25 for stainless steel guide rod and reduced power spring.
Fix B Shoot 124 gr or a better quality 115 gr ammunition exclusively. The FTF 115 gr ammunition you are currently using is no longer a valid option.

What causes this problem? Several issues come into play.
1 The 40 slide and (40 conversion) barrel is thicker than any standard 9mm slide and barrel. This extra thickness equates to more weight. The combined extra weight taps the energy of the "weak 115 gr ammunition” to its complete demise. It simply lacks in power and fails to reliably eject the spent round.
2 Every once in awhile a Failure To Feed/Failure To Eject (FTF/FTE) is caused by a fit issue. We resolve fit issues by pumping +P or +P+ ammunition through the gun. This hot ammunition provides extra pressure and the pressure will positively align any and all components. Once they are all aligned there is no longer a fit issue. The FTF/FTE is usually resolved.

FYI: Several manufactures are currently producing low powered 115 gr 9mm loads. This ammunition is also known to produce failures in all standard model Glock 9mm pistols.

sourdough44
07-06-2011, 19:29
Thanks for the tips. I will look into trying the other ammo & secondary the reduced power spring. I am far enough along that I may as well try those inexpensive changes.