10mm for LE Duty use [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 10mm for LE Duty use

La26
06-29-2011, 09:54
Hi Mas,
Your opinion please on the Glock 20 10mm for LE Duty use, and if so what loads would you recommend? Is there any advantage of the 10mm over the .40 with the high quality Duty ammo available for the .40?

Thanks

Mas Ayoob
06-29-2011, 17:05
The 10 never caught on the way many thought it would with LE, and like the .41 Magnum, it became a "niche cartridge" more appreciated by expert users than by the general gun owning public.

For that reason, there have been relatively few 10mm shootings compared to 9mm, .40, .45, and even .357 SIG. This, in turn, has left us with a limited data base in terms of street results. Making the problem worse is the fact that so many of the 10mm shootings that did occur were with the subsonic FBI 180 grain load, which is essentially equal to the 180 grain .40 subsonic: certainly good, but not really spectacular.

I always thought the 165 grain JHP at 1300 fps had great potential in the 10mm, but never found a shooting with one, so that remains speculative, and being a conservative old geezer, I no longer speculate when it can be avoided. Clay County, Florida had ProLoad make them up a 180 grain JHP at 1200 feet per second IIRC and were happy with its results, but they've since gone to the .40 S&W (though last I heard, the 10mm was still optional there for those deputies who still wanted to carry them). Not sure what exact bullet was used in that particular 10mm load.

Over the years, the 175 grain Winchester Silvertip at 1250 fps worked well, and we saw dynamic results with it in live animal testing. If I was carrying a 10mm as a personal protection weapon today, that would probably be what i'd load it with.

best,
Mas

La26
06-29-2011, 19:47
Thanks. Right now I carry the 21sf in .45 acp. The more I read and hear about the 10mm, the harder it is to find ammo, components (brass), and my Dept. doesn't supply the ammo for it (for requal or duty use). I think I will stay with the .45 acp for now, but certainly appreciate your time. BTW I am carrying the DPX 185 +p in my .45 .