Quad core vs six core [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Quad core vs six core

RDW
06-29-2011, 14:16
Any benefits to one over the other?

Drjones
06-29-2011, 15:39
More cores = more power, more ability to do more stuff more quickly.

I don't know if the average user would truly notice any difference, especially not for email & internet, but it's nice to have the extra 2 cores, for sure!:cool:

Pierre!
06-29-2011, 21:28
Seems to me that AMD is the only place where this makes sense. I think Intel has a 6 core, but they are awfully *proud* of it and will make you pony up quite a bit more $$$ to own it.

AMD is doing some good things... and I would bet the price difference would be negligible....

Never know who will be launching the 'multi-thread capable' software!

More cores won't hurt you.

Happy Shopping this July 4th weekend!
Patrick

magnumsales
06-29-2011, 21:35
Yeah the trick with the multi-core processors is having programs that are developed to specifically take advantage of the multi-threading. Otherwise it's not much use in my experience, Word and IE don't take much power to run. As always beef up on the RAM b4 upgrading the processor.

Just my $.02

gemeinschaft
06-29-2011, 22:02
More cores = more power, more ability to do more stuff more quickly.

I don't know if the average user would truly notice any difference, especially not for email & internet, but it's nice to have the extra 2 cores, for sure!:cool:

Assuming that you are not running any software that is licensed per core, you liekly won't know the difference :rofl::rofl:

molanginaeda
06-30-2011, 08:57
The simplest way to interpret. Quad Core vs six Core = less $$ vs more $$

Overall, It's all drill down to what do you use with your computer. Do you have application which will benefit the extra CPU Core? Do you need the processing power of the extra CPU Core? Can you afford the extra cost?

RDW
06-30-2011, 11:16
Thanx for the responses.

Ogreon
07-08-2011, 18:57
Any benefits to one over the other?

I noticed that this was originally posted in the Women's Issues forums and that none of them responded...

"The six core are much more absorbent but the quads are much more comfortable."

I'm deeply disappointed in them. The gals really ought to step up.

Pierre!
07-08-2011, 19:47
I noticed that this was originally posted in the Women's Issues forums and that none of them responded...

"The six core are much more absorbent but the quads are much more comfortable."

I'm deeply disappointed in them. The gals really ought to step up.

Keep that up, you won't be married much longer...

BUT - Your Comedy Tour Will *ROCK* :rofl:

Good One...

GAFinch
07-08-2011, 21:00
Unless you're using a program that specifically recommends using a six core processor for better performance, you're better off spending the extra money on something else, like a faster hard drive.

dannyking
07-08-2011, 22:33
Unless you're using a program that specifically recommends using a six core processor for better performance, you're better off spending the extra money on something else, like a faster hard drive.

+1 ... that money could also get you more Ram, Better audio card, better video card, along with a better power supply.

sure some day a 6 core processor will be good to have just not right now. :dunno:

wct097
07-09-2011, 00:34
I've been very happy with quad core Sandy Bridge Intel Core-i7 processors. They're simply beasts. My current laptop has a quad SB i7, SSD, and 8gb of RAM. Fastest computer I've ever owned.

Yeah the trick with the multi-core processors is having programs that are developed to specifically take advantage of the multi-threading. Otherwise it's not much use in my experience, Word and IE don't take much power to run. As always beef up on the RAM b4 upgrading the processor.

Just my $.02

That's not entirely true anymore. The current generation Intel procs will shut down unused cores and overclock the others. Since the processor is thermally limited, more cores gives you more thermal capacity, which gives you more effective power regardless of multi-threading ability.

Agreed. A SSD will increase performance much better than a couple extra cores.