i3 vs i5 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : i3 vs i5

sarge
06-29-2011, 14:28
My son is starting dental school in the next few weeks and needs a new laptop. His current 6 year old does not meet the requirements of at least Core 2, Windows OS, 4GB ram, 80 GB hd.

This weekend Sam's has an HP on sale that is an i5. It specs at 6GB ram, 640 GB hd, 15.6 screen, etc. It's regularly $799 but is $125 off thru the 4th which would make it $674.

They also have another HP for $599. i3, 6gb ram, 640 GB hd, 15.6" screen. Specs look about the same except the i3 vs i5.

My question is: Is the i5 worth the $75 difference? It will be used for school, he doesn't do online gaming or anything like that.

Thanks for any info.

Drjones
06-29-2011, 15:38
I would spring the extra $75 for the upgraded processor. You cannot easily upgrade a processor - it typically requires an entire new motherboard - so it's best to get the best you can up front.

For such a nominal price difference, I think the added boost between the 3 and 5 is worth it.

Pierre!
06-29-2011, 21:25
I would spring the extra $75 for the upgraded processor. You cannot easily upgrade a processor - it typically requires an entire new motherboard - so it's best to get the best you can up front.

For such a nominal price difference, I think the added boost between the 3 and 5 is worth it.

*ABSOLUTELY* The $75 is Sooooo worth it!

Do It, and you will be glad you did... the system specs are good, for $75 you don't want your child in school (and someone will be paying for that school) and waiting for the computer to get things done. This is one are where inexpensive will not pay off in the long run.

Chances are real good that he will be able to complete a 4 year on this one system... so that he can pick his own out when he graduates! :cool:

For this deal, you would be very smart to go i5!

HTH...

Patrick

magnumsales
06-29-2011, 21:41
I agree I did the same thing and went for the i5 and it really made a big difference. If it were $150 I'd say forget it but for $75 I'd go for it all else equal.

gemeinschaft
06-29-2011, 22:01

+1 Exactly.

If I am on a budget, building a machine, I will give up RAM for a better Processor. You easily add RAM later, processor is a major PITA, especially with a laptop.

molanginaeda
06-30-2011, 08:42
Here is the comparison between i3 and i5.
http://www.i3vsi5.net/

IMO, worth the extra for getting i5.

sarge
06-30-2011, 15:06
Thanks for the info guys!!

Ya know, it's always great to come on here and ask questions. I have a tech question every once in a while and I always get a good straight answer with no BS.

Looks like the $75 will be well spent.