DIY Holster [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : DIY Holster

Tabfry
06-29-2011, 15:44
Thanks to a couple of threads here, I decided to try making my own IWB holster.

I took my time with it and it seemed to turn out pretty good. I have a couple things I still want to tweak, but I'm happy.

BailRecoveryAgent
06-29-2011, 16:53
Nice job my fellow Washingtonian!:wavey:

AGAF
06-29-2011, 18:19
Looks good!

DaneA
06-29-2011, 18:32
Great job. Looks like a CBST. If you don't mind sharing what it cost you to make this one?

bjhubb
06-29-2011, 21:31
Turned out really good. I love wearing the ones that I made. They are getting more and more comfortable and I am starting to forget it is there.

Brother J
06-30-2011, 06:25
Good design. Looks quite robust. If the spring steel clips ever break or lose tension, I'd replace them with the ones from Comp-Tac.

Aahzz
06-30-2011, 07:03
Looks great!

Nakanokalronin
06-30-2011, 09:04
Great job. Looks like a CBST. If you don't mind sharing what it cost you to make this one?

I'm curious about this as well. After buying a CBST I could never justify the price of another one after seeing how simple the design is from a company that already has the tools paid for and the material bought in bulk at a discount.

DWARREN123
06-30-2011, 09:09
Like reloading this hobby may save you some money!
Good looking holster. :supergrin:

dregotglock
06-30-2011, 09:56
Hey op nice job on your holster! Looks great.

The cost assoc with this type of holster is not bad -

you can buy most of your needs on knifekits.com - they carry kydex and leather precut into 12"x12" and also have the clips.

I started out making kydex holsters and they function great - I still have some lying around that I made early on - it is easy to work with and if your not happy with the molding, simply reheat and remold.

There are several websites that give pretty good "how to" instructions as well.

Tabfry
06-30-2011, 10:38
Thank you for the compliments.

Like others mentioned, I used knifekits.com to buy my kydex, leather, clips, and hardware. I bought 2 sheets of kydex (just in case) but one is obviously more than enough. I even used some kydex to make a couple spare clips. I prefer the steel, but now I have spares in the event I ever need them.

I used scrap wood and $2 worth of foam to build a press to form the kydex. I picked up a couple cheap door hinges and borrowed a heat gun. Actual cost of the holster material would be less than $30. Next holster I make I'll run by Tandy Leather and check out their prices.

Now that I have extra kydex and the press, I'd only need another sheet of leather, clips, and attachment hardware.

Note: If you use chicago screws to attach the kydex or clips to the leather, you may need to grind the posts and the screws as they are too long to get a good grip. I may eventually switch them out for some rivets.

I think I now have to buy some more guns just so I have the reason to make more holsters! Think my wife would go along with that?

Veedubklown
06-30-2011, 10:56
Looks good! I used kydex to make my belt clips, worked really easy, just folded it over some paint stir sticks, that happened to be slightly larger than my normal belt. I cut my kydex a bit higher, so that it would keep an open mouth in my belt line, and my pants wouldn't collapse over the mouth of the holster. Makes it easier to re-holster, as I use mine for EDC and IDPA. It also covers the trigger, completely.

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/230764_10150594051870374_738740373_18523698_94075_n.jpg

HotRoderX
06-30-2011, 11:00
Turned out great looking

scotk213
07-01-2011, 18:07
What size (thickness) kydex did you use?

sierrafast
07-01-2011, 18:19
Very nice.

Tabfry
07-05-2011, 16:15
What size (thickness) kydex did you use?

I used .060". Seems good for this application. I can't see the need for anything thicker other than, perhaps, if you were making kydex clips for it too. I made a pair that I'm not really impressed with. I'll go back to metal.

Veedubklown
07-05-2011, 21:38
I used .060". Seems good for this application. I can't see the need for anything thicker other than, perhaps, if you were making kydex clips for it too. I made a pair that I'm not really impressed with. I'll go back to metal.

Aye I used .08, and my clips are pretty sturdy. I was concerned about the .06 flexing under the stress of waste band/belt, making reholstering difficult. How's the .06 workin for ya?

Sheepdog Scout
07-05-2011, 21:50
That looks good.

I have a CB for my G19 and it's a good and comfortable holster. But, as far as I know, the design is no different than many other smaller holster makers. I've got a friend who showed me his holster that he uses. He bough it from a small company and it looks exactly like a CB. Price was about half. I like CBs, but they're not revolutionary and I wouldn't buy one from them again, not at their prices.

---
I have no hate for CB. It's just an example. There are a number of other makers that are similar or pretty much the same thing. And they're all overpriced.

Tabfry
07-06-2011, 11:23
Aye I used .08, and my clips are pretty sturdy. I was concerned about the .06 flexing under the stress of waste band/belt, making reholstering difficult. How's the .06 workin for ya?

I too thought twice about the .060, but decided to give it a shot after reading some reviews. It holds up under the pressure of a belt just fine. It was nice to work with.

bjhubb
07-08-2011, 08:44
I also use .06 when making hybrid holsters with no problems.