Any other pagans here? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Any other pagans here?

frank4570
06-30-2011, 07:27
I'm just curious. I would guess that the group of people who actually read RI on glocktalk are either serious christians or serious athiests. I would expect other people to not bother in this forum so much.

FifthFreedom
06-30-2011, 07:52
I'm just curious. I would guess that the group of people who actually read RI on glocktalk are either serious christians or serious athiests. I would expect other people to not bother in this forum so much.

Well, I am a Jew and I tend to "bother" now and again ;) even though I am one of those "other people. :cool:

rgregoryb
06-30-2011, 08:08
Does Outlaw or Hells Angel qualify?

FifthFreedom
06-30-2011, 08:18

LOL how about Mongols?

GreenDrake
06-30-2011, 08:27
Heck yeah, the Fly fishing gods are smiling upon me....and the beer and margarita gods are coming to town tomorrow. Pagans get a god for everything. Woooooooo

frank4570
06-30-2011, 09:22

I knew somebody wouldn't be able to pass that up. :rollsmiley:

ArtificialGrape
06-30-2011, 09:33
I'm aware of a handful of Jews (most are infrequent posters), several agnostics, a pantheist and a Hindu revert.

-ArtificialGrape

FifthFreedom
06-30-2011, 10:34
So Frank,
educate me on what some of the core beliefs in Paganism are.

frank4570
06-30-2011, 12:19
So Frank,
educate me on what some of the core beliefs in Paganism are.

I'm not the person to educate you. It isn't that I claim the label pagan so much as that is the category where I fit.
A reverence for the earth and the environment is a mark of my beliefs.
I will be collecting wild bees and relocating them today to improve my own environment, and the well fare of the animals and plants, I might call that prayer.
I actually go to a christian church church with my wife. They are REALLY nice people, that is good enough for me. I just don't participate in their actual ceremonies. But I do stuff like help prepare food at funerals.

kjm1016
06-30-2011, 15:43
". . . a christian church church . . ."

Which church is that? I realize that was, in part, a typo. But I reiterate-which church is the "Christian Church"? Catholic? Methodist? Luthern? Anglican? Episcopalian? Fundamentalist? To which one of the umpteen different types of "Christian" churches are you refering? You know if Christians really were united we'd be a much more powerful force in the world than we are now. Unfortunately Christians would rather dicker about petty differences in their respective doctrines. If you don't believe that, you have only to take up reading threads here in GT-RI. I have the great honour to remain,
Your Most Humble Obedient Servant,

KJM1016

frank4570
06-30-2011, 15:54
". . . a christian church church . . ."

Which church is that? I realize that was, in part, a typo. But I reiterate-which church is the "Christian Church"? Catholic? Methodist? Luthern? Anglican? Episcopalian? Fundamentalist? To which one of the umpteen different types of "Christian" churches are you refering? You know if Christians really were united we'd be a much more powerful force in the world than we are now. Unfortunately Christians would rather dicker about petty differences in their respective doctrines. If you don't believe that, you have only to take up reading threads here in GT-RI. I have the great honour to remain,
Your Most Humble Obedient Servant,

KJM1016

Oh, right, of course. Nazarene. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.

I know a guy who is pastor of a church which is dying, because they are so strict in their belief about the order in which you are saved then baptized, or something like that.

Mushinto
06-30-2011, 20:08
I believe most athiests are Pagans. They worship other things instead of G-d.

Sometimes they just worship themselves.

The majority of the liberal elite in this country are Pagans.

ArtificialGrape
06-30-2011, 20:40
I believe most athiests are Pagans...Sometimes they just worship themselves.
I won't argue that in the case of atheist totalitarians (e.g. Stalin) they try to assume the role of God, requiring unquestioning obedience, etc., but I find this to be a highly inaccurate characterization of Joe Atheist who just happens to reject the supernatural based on a lack of evidence.

-ArtificialGrape

Snapper2
06-30-2011, 21:35
I won't argue that in the case of atheist totalitarians (e.g. Stalin) they try to assume the role of God, requiring unquestioning obedience, etc., but I find this to be a highly inaccurate characterization of Joe Atheist who just happens to reject the supernatural based on a lack of evidence.

-ArtificialGrape

What kind of evidence would Joe Atheist want AG? Wouldnt "prehistoric" man:whistling: worship their descendants of today with all the modern technology? And how would the natural be able to understand the SUPERnatural anyway if it is indeed superior? As far as totalitarians go, we are gods in that we were created in God's Image and given the right to rule over many things on earth. It seems that many pervert this privledge though(believers and nonbelievers).

AlexHassin
06-30-2011, 21:40
Heck yeah, the Fly fishing gods are smiling upon me....and the beer and margarita gods are coming to town tomorrow. Pagans get a god for everything. Woooooooo
that makes more sense then most religions i have heard

Tilley
06-30-2011, 22:08
...but I find this to be a highly inaccurate characterization of Joe Atheist who just happens to reject the supernatural based on a lack of evidence.

-ArtificialGrape

How very scientific sounding. So all people who reject God do so because of lack of evidence?

Organic material stemming from an inorganic world must also be supernatural since it is also based on a lack of evidence.

ArtificialGrape
06-30-2011, 23:45
What kind of evidence would Joe Atheist want AG? Wouldnt "prehistoric" man:whistling: worship their descendants of today with all the modern technology? And how would the natural be able to understand the SUPERnatural anyway if it is indeed superior?
I'm using the term "supernatural" as something outside the laws of nature -- rising from the dead; parting the Red Sea; the sun standing still over Gibeon. Bill & Ted transporting Socrates and Napoleon to modern day San Dimas is not exposing them to the supernatural merely because they do not understand modern technology. People may find David Blaine to be supernatural (or even suspect some pact with Satan), but that does not make it so.

...but I find this to be a highly inaccurate characterization of Joe Atheist who just happens to reject the supernatural based on a lack of evidence.
How very scientific sounding. So all people who reject God do so because of lack of evidence?
How did you leap from my use of "Joe Atheist who just happens to reject the supernatural based on a lack of evidence" to mean "all people who reject God"?

I'm clearly referring to the subset who "reject the supernatural based on a lack of evidence"

Organic material stemming from an inorganic world must also be supernatural since it is also based on a lack of evidence.
Prior to the understanding of Newtonian gravity, was the movement of celestial bodies in our solar system supernatural?

Tell me that you're not making an argument from ignorance here -- lack of evidence of a natural process is evidence of a supernatural process?

-ArtificialGrape

GreenDrake
07-01-2011, 06:49
I find the irony stifling that the believers can make so many attempts to discredit science and evloution while staunchly standing behind one book of fairy tales as absolute truth. "BECAUSE HE SAID SO" Yeah....right.

rod727
07-01-2011, 07:01
yep... swear to God

frank4570
07-01-2011, 08:03
I'm feeling kind of left out. I guess nobody has a problem with pagans. It's like being the ugly guy at the prom. :frown:

Mushinto
07-01-2011, 08:19
I'm feeling kind of left out. I guess nobody has a problem with pagans. It's like being the ugly guy at the prom. :frown:

Sorry I was not clear.

I have a BIG problem with Pagans.

Pre-September 11, most people didn't give Muslims a second thought.

Some day, quite soon, we will fight a much bigger fight with the Pagans.

FifthFreedom
07-01-2011, 10:01
I'm not the person to educate you. It isn't that I claim the label pagan so much as that is the category where I fit.
A reverence for the earth and the environment is a mark of my beliefs.
I will be collecting wild bees and relocating them today to improve my own environment, and the well fare of the animals and plants, I might call that prayer.
I actually go to a christian church church with my wife. They are REALLY nice people, that is good enough for me. I just don't participate in their actual ceremonies. But I do stuff like help prepare food at funerals.

Based on your description, I don't see how that makes you a Pagan. YOu appreciate nature, the Earth, etc. So do many other people. So where does that make you fit the Pagan category??

ArtificialGrape
07-01-2011, 10:08
Based on your description, I don't see how that makes you a Pagan. YOu appreciate nature, the Earth, etc. So do many other people. So where does that make you fit the Pagan category??
Yeah, I think people are operating with a variety of definitions of pagan in this thread. Perhaps we use the P.A.G.A.N. organization from the movie Dragnet -- People Against Goodness And Normalcy.

-ArtificialGrape

Don't forget your goat leggings.

Ramjet38
07-01-2011, 17:43
Sorry I was not clear.

Amen.

frank4570
07-01-2011, 19:38

I do have a belief in a "higher power". It is a naturist kind of higher power. The Great Spirit if you like.

frank4570
07-01-2011, 19:40
Sorry I was not clear.

You think Christians are going to be at war with pagans? Why?

AlexHassin
07-01-2011, 19:45
Sorry I was not clear.

Interesting idea.
What events and movements that currently exist, do you think this problem will stem from?
Basically what is the writing on the wall for you.

Mushinto
07-02-2011, 14:30
You think Christians are going to be at war with pagans? Why?
Not only Christians.

Interesting idea.
What events and movements that currently exist, do you think this problem will stem from?
Basically what is the writing on the wall for you.

Without setting myself up for a tin foil hat, I have a pet theory. For some time, various forces in the world seem to be directed toward the same goal.

Liberals, whose main religion (belief system) is simply liberalism, believes that a government should rule and make the moral decisions for a helpless people. Religion generally gets in the way when it teaches that there is a higher power than man.

The gay and lesbian and whatever alliance must fight religion at every turn because all mainstream religions reject their lifestyles. I personally believe there is a better way for them to deal with this, but for the most part, they are anti-religious.

The media / entertainment complex has always treated religion with scorn and ridicules religionists at every opportunity. If there were an organized Pagan effort, they would be in charge of propaganda and brainwashing. They are very good at it and currently they own themselves a President.

There is a strong pro-nature, anti-human ecological movement who are organized and aggressive, even to the point of violence. Worship of trees and animals have always been the hallmark of Pagans.

Political philosophies such as communism and fascism reject the rule of God over the rule of man. Any values that give people an alternate to worship of their leaders are a threat.

Cooperatives between all the above groups is the norm.

Additionally, Christians and Muslims have taken turns fighting each other throughout history as well as taking turns fighting the Jews. Currently, Christians (for the most part) are protective of Jews while (the louder voice of) Muslims are on the offensive. Historically, the reverse has also been true. It is easy to see the most radical fundamentalists of each group, unless you are too close. Who actually benefits from this strife? Is it possible that there are forces, which precipitate such hate? Damm, the foil is reaching for my head now.

I see a time when the enemy is exposed, and the only fight will be a unified force against the Godless.

There are worse scenarios.

:tinfoil: :tongueout:

frank4570
07-02-2011, 15:26
I see a time when the enemy is exposed, and the only fight will be a unified force against the Godless.

So, muslims, jews and christians joining forces to fight the pagans who are taking over the world? Yep, that is pretty silly. Are you sure this isn't just some mental exercise you go through for entertainment?
I don't think even you believe it. :shocked:

Mushinto
07-02-2011, 15:42
So, muslims, jews and christians joining forces to fight the pagans who are taking over the world? Yep, that is pretty silly. Are you sure this isn't just some mental exercise you go through for entertainment?
I don't think even you believe it. :shocked:

Half in / half out.

Originalsin
07-03-2011, 06:06
Not only Christians.

Without setting myself up for a tin foil hat, I have a pet theory. For some time, various forces in the world seem to be directed toward the same goal.

Liberals, whose main religion (belief system) is simply liberalism, believes that a government should rule and make the moral decisions for a helpless people. Religion generally gets in the way when it teaches that there is a higher power than man.

The gay and lesbian and whatever alliance must fight religion at every turn because all mainstream religions reject their lifestyles. I personally believe there is a better way for them to deal with this, but for the most part, they are anti-religious.

The media / entertainment complex has always treated religion with scorn and ridicules religionists at every opportunity. If there were an organized Pagan effort, they would be in charge of propaganda and brainwashing. They are very good at it and currently they own themselves a President.

There is a strong pro-nature, anti-human ecological movement who are organized and aggressive, even to the point of violence. Worship of trees and animals have always been the hallmark of Pagans.

Political philosophies such as communism and fascism reject the rule of God over the rule of man. Any values that give people an alternate to worship of their leaders are a threat.

Additionally, Christians and Muslims have taken turns fighting each other throughout history as well as taking turns fighting the Jews. Currently, Christians (for the most part) are protective of Jews while (the louder voice of) Muslims are on the offensive. Historically, the reverse has also been true. It is easy to see the most radical fundamentalists of each group, unless you are too close. Who actually benefits from this strife? Is it possible that there are forces, which precipitate such hate? Damm, the foil is reaching for my head now.

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means".
- Inigo Montoya

I don't think that everyone you list can really be called a Pagan.

Peace Warrior
07-03-2011, 06:18
I'm an ex-pagan. Does that count?

More appropriately, I was a humanist until Truth found me.

frank4570
07-03-2011, 07:09
I'm an ex-pagan. Does that count?

More appropriately, I was a humanist until Truth found me.

I don't think so. You are no longer a pagan. You should probably cancel your magazine subscription.:supergrin:

Mushinto
07-03-2011, 11:00
"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means".
- Inigo Montoya

I don't think that everyone you list can really be called a Pagan.
:lol:

I do.

ArtificialGrape
07-03-2011, 11:09
:lol:

I do.
What is the definition of pagan that you are using for this discussion?

NMG26
07-03-2011, 13:34
I do have a belief in a "higher power". It is a naturist kind of higher power. The Great Spirit if you like.

Maybe you are closer to a Pantheist, like myself. I think that God can be found in all things and even the most religious can totally miss God in anything.

Sent from my Devour using Tapatalk

frank4570
07-03-2011, 13:55
Maybe you are closer to a Pantheist, like myself. I think that God can be found in all things and even the most religious can totally miss God in anything.

Sent from my Devour using Tapatalk

Maybe you are right. I've never looked into it. So I don't really know what the difference is.

AlexHassin
07-03-2011, 14:15

I find myself very curious about the same thing. You talk about groups disliking, scorning or being anti- religion as evidence that a religion is going to cause problems. I fail to see the connection hear. The only group that seems semi related to paganism hear is the environmentalist.

Berto
07-03-2011, 14:35
I actually believe pretty pretty strongly in my dog. Who wouldn't?

Ramjet38
07-03-2011, 18:41
Not only Christians.

Again, I say Amen.

Enough already...:supergrin:

Mushinto
07-03-2011, 22:49

A Pagan worships man or nature above or instead of G-d.

USMCSergeant
07-03-2011, 22:59
Paganism (from Latin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin) paganus, meaning "country dweller", "rustic"<SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-0>[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paganism#cite_note-0)</SUP>) is a blanket term (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blanket_term), typically used to refer to polytheistic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polytheistic) religious traditions.

I guess a lot of things can fit under that umbrella.

I always pictured nude men in women, dancing next to a fire, with a pentagram or pentacle lit somewhere nearby. I'm no expert in this matter though.. haha

ArtificialGrape
07-03-2011, 23:05
With that broad stroke it would seem that you could conveniently classify anybody not worshiping God as a pagan.

So none of Jews, Christians and Muslims are pagan, correct?

Are Hindus pagan? I would guess not, since they are not worshiping man or nature?

Is it possible to remain a non-pagan atheist, or do you believe that all atheists worship either man or nature?

-ArtificialGrape

AlexHassin
07-04-2011, 01:37
does the nature and number of god(s) matter? or is your definition any one not a member of a abrahamic religion?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>

frank4570
07-04-2011, 07:31
I think he might mean heathen. A heathen is anybody who isn't a believer in the god of abraham. Jew, christisian, muslim.

So he thinks that heathens are going to war against jews/christians/muslims. Still way way way outside of what is realistic.