AVG "hosed by/or hosing" Vista upgrades? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : AVG "hosed by/or hosing" Vista upgrades?

Green_Manelishi
06-30-2011, 15:35
Cripes.
I installed a few Windows updates yesterday. Now the involved puter will not boot. Booting in "safe mode" it seems to be hanging on AVGIDSEH.SYS then nothing except, eventually, a non-boot. I have googled for that filename and there are many references to "install this to a CD and then do this that and the other thing". But quite honestly most of the information sounds like a pitch to buy some software.
I can boot the 'puter from a Fedora loaded stick and access the files etc on the disks.
Anyone else have this experience?
What if I simply rename/delete the "bad" driver?
Cipes.

Of course there is the nuclear option: restore but that will wipe the partition and I will have to reinstall software.

srhoades
06-30-2011, 17:02
I would just rename the bad driver. Once it boots it will still be slow to load as it has to wait for the service to timeout but that is minor. Then ditch AVG and get Microsoft Security Essentials.

I don't know if this is the same problem but AVG had an issue with x64 based systems about 8 months ago that caused an interesting boot failure screen and the solution was to rename one of the AVG drivers.

Drjones
06-30-2011, 22:28
Do you hate yourself?

Why are you torturing yourself and your PC with Vista?

Honestly, use this as an opportunity to upgrade to 7.

To answer your question directly, yes, it is possible that AVG could interfere with the updates, heck, several months back, AVG released an update that inexplicably crashed a bunch of Win7 systems for no reason......THAT was fun to clean up after. :upeyes:

Green_Manelishi
07-01-2011, 13:21
Thanks for the input. Rather than spend hours trying to fix the problem, I chose to take off and nuke the site from orbit; it was the only way to be sure. Let's hope it is successful. If so, I will NOT reinstall software that I was not using.

Any recommendations for an "image backup" that will save me the effort of having to re-install wanted software?

Pierre!
07-01-2011, 19:45
Thanks for the input. Rather than spend hours trying to fix the problem, I chose to take off and nuke the site from orbit; it was the only way to be sure. Let's hope it is successful. If so, I will NOT reinstall software that I was not using.

Any recommendations for an "image backup" that will save me the effort of having to re-install wanted software?

I *love* Aliens and have seen in probably more than 100 times! Great Line, I use it frequently!!!

But I digress...

Imaging is native in Windows 7. So I would jump into the camp that says - Go with Windows 7 - Your system will run faster, you have more options for backup (which really works well), your security is better...

Here is a little info on imaging in Windows 7:

Need to Recover YOUR Win7 System – FAST? Here’s Why You Want Windows 7 System Images! (http://seeberconsultblog.com/need-to-recover-your-win7-system-fast-heres-why-you-want-windows-7-system-images/)

Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrades (http://seeberconsultblog.com/can-you-believe-it-windows-7-home-premium-upgrade-on-sale-for-le/)

That should keep you busy, and I hope you get some good deals if you decide to take the plunge with Windows 7!

Oh - You need to run Windows Upgrade Advisor (http://windows.microsoft.com/upgradeadvisor) too so that you assure your system will run Windows 7 with no issues...

Happy Independence Day Weekend!

Green_Manelishi
07-02-2011, 17:03
I have a Win7 upgrade disk; I simply never used it. The system is upgradable. I should probably do that before I (re)install all the software that I will use.

Pierre!
07-02-2011, 19:39
I have a Win7 upgrade disk; I simply never used it. The system is upgradable. I should probably do that before I (re)install all the software that I will use.

Good Thinkin!

Then, after you get it the way you like it, have Win7 make that image for you!

Recovery is Fast, and you are back in the game in just a couple of hours!

We image *everything* here at the Home/Home Office.

Recovering a 160Gb HD takes under an hour with the eSATA interface on one of those Hard Drive Docking stations!

The interface is so similar, you will be up and running in no time....

Oh Yah - Perhaps try Microsoft Security Essentials for AV - Free for Home AND Business use!

Enjoy!
Patrick

Green_Manelishi
07-03-2011, 12:39
Win7 update installed.

Receiving "can't open AsIO.sys" error. Not surprisingly the various google hits are not very helpful.

If anyone cares to PM me, please do.

Drjones
07-03-2011, 15:54
So you upgraded Vista to 7? Did you do a clean install or simply upgrade it?

I never, ever have done an upgrade; I always do a clean install. I've seen (and fixed) issues with going the upgrade route.

A clean install is always, well, cleaner. ;)