180 or 165 or 155? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 180 or 165 or 155?

snowbird.40
07-01-2011, 13:50
Mas - I placed an order for five boxes of Federal HST 180-grain .40 caliber rounds in mid May and the back order is still waiting to catch up apparently. From my reads of your posts here and elsewhere I see you are a big advocate for the 165-grain rounds for self defense.

So, here's my dilemma.

I currently have both my Gen 4 Model 35 Glock (home defense, IDPA) and my Gen 3 Model 27 loaded with 180-grain HSTs upon the recommendation of a mutual friend who works with the U.S. Marshals in North Dakota. He says most of the federal agencies that he knows of are all packing 180-grain HSTs or Gold Dots in all their .40 caliber handguns. (My wife has a Gen 4 Model 23 for home defense, also loaded with 180-grain HSTs.)

Another shooting buddy, with the Border Patrol, says the Glock 23 wasn't able to stand up to the pounding of either 155 or 165-grain bonded HPs, which is partially why his agency went with H&Ks instead of Glock.

I have shot all three Glocks with the 180-grain loads with no jams but have never shot any of them with the 155 or 165 loads.

Do you think it would be worth switching my order to the lighter loads and just hope they will function OK in all three Glocks? There is also a possibility that I'll sell both of my Glocks and get another Gen 4 G23 after the first of the year (through the GSSF LE discount program), so I want to make certain I'm not sitting with another 250 rounds of useless ammo.

Thanks for your insights and opinions. I appreciate them, as do a lot of others, apparently, based on the number of viewers you always have on your GATE forum.

Mas Ayoob
07-01-2011, 16:02
I haven't had any trouble shooting a lot of 165/1140 fps ammo through my Glock 22, though of course that's only one pistol. However, agencies such as Nashville Metro don't seem to have any problem with equivalent loads in their issue Glocks.

That said, I certainly wouldn't feel insecure carrying a Glock .40 loaded with 180 grain HST.

best,
Mas

snowbird.40
07-01-2011, 16:19
Thanks Mas. Think I'll stick with my original order of 180s. That's the weight I practice with, so it's probably better all around that I stay with those.