Someone is in my house. Proper response? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Someone is in my house. Proper response?

Donn57
07-01-2011, 16:41
Mr. Ayoob,

In another thread on GT (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1352448), the discussion was about what you would do if someone broke into your home in the middle of the night. Here is my response:

I do think anyone who enters my home in the dead of night is only after my TV and means me no harm. That being said, I do take a major precaution against someone doing me and my wife harm. Is it a big dog? Nope. A firearm? Nope. It is a solid wood bedroom door with a deadbolt and a reinforced frame. That's my first line of defense against someone who actually makes it into the house and who isn't run off by the piercing alarm.

There is nothing in the rest of the house that is worth the trauma and legal expense of killing someone and that can't be replaced by a full-replacement value insurance policy. The items of sentimental value are not items the someone is going to steal.

So, when someone breaks in and I am awoken by the alarm, I'll grab the phone and call 911. If that someone IS intent on doing me harm and he manages to get into the bedroom, I and my 870 will be ready to do what is necessary.

I know this doesn't sound as macho as emptying a 15 round magazine into someone or blowing their head off, but I feel secure in my preparations even if they make me sound like some kind of whimp.

A few responses were made that criticized my intended course of action and no one posted agreement. Where am I going wrong? Here are the reasons why I've developed this plan:

1) I really don't want to kill anyone
2) I don't own anything worth killing anyone over
3) I'm not trained in clearing buildings
4) Grabbing a gun and going looking for the intruder can result in a physical altercation. Any time one is involved in a physical altercation, there is always the chance one may lose. Avoiding the altercation means I can't lose.

Thanks

Mas Ayoob
07-01-2011, 17:04
Sensible plan, Donn.

If you haven't already, you might consider a Bluetooth to leave both your hands free to run the 870 if it should come to that. You want to stay on the line with 9-1-1 Dispatch throughout.

best,
Mas

Donn57
07-01-2011, 21:08
Thanks for quick response. I'll definitely check into the Bluetooth.