Shoulder holsters [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder holsters

LittleLebowski
07-01-2011, 18:34
Do you recommend the shoulder holster over OWB, IWB, or AIWB? If so, why? How about competition?

Mas Ayoob
07-01-2011, 20:11
Lebowski, I don't know of anyone who's used a shoulder holster in competition successfully since Jeff Cooper back in the 1950s or so, when he ran a 1911 .45 out of a Hardy/Cooper shoulder rig for a while, and Jeff himself soon gave up on the idea. Most "practical handgun" sports don't even allow them anymore, because the muzzle tends to sweep the shooter on the weak hand side during the draw.

I personally keep shoulder holsters handy for special needs: they're great for drawing from seated, take the weight off your hips if you have a lumbar injury, and they work well for folks in wheelchairs. I've found more female than male gun carriers like shoulder rigs, because a shoulder holster is hard for a broad-shouldered male to get to but easy for a woman who typically has a narrower torso. The hip holsters that are comfortable for men are agonizing for a lot of women because they tend to ride too high.

That said, while I like shoulder holsters for special purposes, I usually carry strong side hip...a decision that a huge majority of male gun carriers have come to, as well.

Best,
Mas