Smart phone question? unlimited data package or tier plan? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Smart phone question? unlimited data package or tier plan?

mixflip
07-01-2011, 21:53
So Verizon is stopping the unlimited data package in a few days. My contract is up and I can upgrade to a new smartphone!!!

My question is...do I really need unlimited data?

I really want a smart phone but I dont want the Droid Charge or the iphone4 which is said to be the best Verizon has to offer right now. I really want the Bionic or iphone5 which is due to come out this summer I believe, but obviously by then I wont be able to have unlimited data.

So should I just get one of these phones and the unlimited data package just to get grandfathered in? And just settle with a phone I really didnt want for a while?

Or should I wait for the phone I really want and just live with a tier plan?

I dont surf alot so maybe I would be happy with a tier plan? Do any of you wish you had an unlimited data plan?

Do any of you have unlimited but actually dont use it and feel you could get by easily with a tier plan?

Pierre!
07-02-2011, 10:40
I went a different direction, and my wife is struggling to decide herself...

Rather than re-type it all, here is how I went about it:

Reducing Business Overhead – My Cell Phone Change… (http://seeberconsultblog.com/reducing-business-overhead-my-cell-phone-change/)

The savings is substantial, and the flexibility to add minutes has been *awesome*!

HTH...
Patrick

srhoades
07-02-2011, 11:17
I use my iPhone a ton an only average 200MB a month because I am almost always connected to a wifi network.

Gun Shark
07-02-2011, 11:19
So Verizon is stopping the unlimited data package in a few days. My contract is up and I can upgrade to a new smartphone!!!

My question is...do I really need unlimited data?

I really want a smart phone but I dont want the Droid Charge or the iphone4 which is said to be the best Verizon has to offer right now. I really want the Bionic or iphone5 which is due to come out this summer I believe, but obviously by then I wont be able to have unlimited data.

So should I just get one of these phones and the unlimited data package just to get grandfathered in? And just settle with a phone I really didnt want for a while?

Or should I wait for the phone I really want and just live with a tier plan?

I dont surf alot so maybe I would be happy with a tier plan? Do any of you wish you had an unlimited data plan?

Do any of you have unlimited but actually dont use it and feel you could get by easily with a tier plan?

I have an ATT iPhone 4 and I like the unlimited data's safety net so to speak, but I don't really come close to using enough to make the unlimited plan useful other than piece of mind(I am a computer and internet(mostly facebook and the like) junkie), however for 5 dollars more it made sense to keep( i had the 3g), in the event I surf a lot more than usual which would probably translate to me having no life. so basically what I am saying is if you think you will/may surf ALOT in the future then I would get the unlimited plan(the iPhone 4 is pretty cool and I am eligible for an upgrade next October so i have no problem waiting, I got it in feb btw.) my dad got a teired plan at 2 gigs and it looks like he won't even use up 10% of that so its really what you use it for. However everyone I know who got a smartphone who has a facebook (with the exception of my neighbor who uses it as a photobucket for family) has gone on facebook noticeably more.

feel free to send me a pm if you would like to talk about it more.

mixflip
07-02-2011, 15:42
Ok so it looks like I dont need to run out and get me the unlimited data plan before the 7th. I am not a hardcore facebook or other internet type other than youtube and research for casual conversations/debates.

boomhower
07-02-2011, 16:35
I look at it a different way. You may not use a lot of data now but you don't know what kind of applications may come up in the future that will get you to use more. More and more things are moving to the cloud everyday and they all use data. If you wait you will be paying substantially more for the same service. Tiered plans are not going to save you a single cent. If you get a new phone now you will get unlimited for $30 a month. If you wait you will be getting 2GB's for the exact same $30, less service for the same money.

Do you have a smartphone now? All that is required is that you have a smartphone data plan. You don't need to be in a contract to be grandfathered in.

FatBoy
07-06-2011, 11:39
I have a BB and don't get close to 1g data/month, but I would always keep the unlimited plan if I could be grandfathered in. Acording to this http://www.intomobile.com/2011/07/05/verizon-tiered-data-coming-july-7-say-goodbye-unlimited-data/ it says they believe you won't be able to be grandfathered in on you next, post 7/7 contract, but they were looking for more info on that.

sappy13
07-06-2011, 19:21
i highly suggest unlimited plans if you can afford it, especially if you use anything streaming like pandora. i listen to pandora every time i run and a lot when im in the car, so its worth it to me. last month i used 4 gigs of data on my iphone, without the unlimited plan i woulda been paying a lot.

one thing you could possibly do is just go ahead and add the unlimited plan to your current phone. my dad said verizon let him add it to his, and he just has a gz boulder.

if you decided to wait, check out the galaxy s2. it will be out in like 2 weeks i think

stolivar
07-06-2011, 19:25
on the next upgrade. then I will never upgrade again. I will just go out and buy my phone on the internet.... screw them. and if they will not allow that, then I am through with them and go back to straight talk

steve

boomhower
07-07-2011, 09:17
I have a BB and don't get close to 1g data/month, but I would always keep the unlimited plan if I could be grandfathered in. Acording to this http://www.intomobile.com/2011/07/05/verizon-tiered-data-coming-july-7-say-goodbye-unlimited-data/ it says they believe you won't be able to be grandfathered in on you next, post 7/7 contract, but they were looking for more info on that.

Verizon has said that for now you will be able to upgrade and keep your unlimited. Whether you can go 3G->4G and keep unlimited remains to be seen.