Grandfather Oak EVOlution Holster [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Grandfather Oak EVOlution Holster

05FLHT
07-02-2011, 08:54
Has anybody tried this holster with a Kahr PM9, Ruger LC9, or similar sized gun? It looks like it rides pretty high, but I'm wondering how tight to your side it holds the gun. Any help would be appreciated.

BailRecoveryAgent
07-02-2011, 17:01
To me , the belt loops sitting that low on the barrel/slide, it looks like it would ride so high that even with a gun belt you would still get some flop over.

Shadyscott69
07-02-2011, 17:06
To me , the belt loops sitting that low on the barrel/slide, it looks like it would ride so high that even with a gun belt you would still get some flop over.

Yep. Looks like a poor design to me. :dunno:

BailRecoveryAgent
07-02-2011, 17:28
Yep. Looks like a poor design to me. :dunno:

Yeah but what do you know about holster design?:whistling::tongueout::wavey:

GlocksterPaulie
07-02-2011, 17:29
That is an accident waiting to happen.

Paulie

Free Radical
07-02-2011, 17:36
I like my holsters to ride high. Gets 'em off the hip where you're widest. Makes for better concealment.

Shadyscott69
07-02-2011, 17:38
Yeah but what do you know about holster design?:whistling::tongueout::wavey:

:dunno::supergrin:

I have more bad designs under my belt than I care to remember. I have been down the road of the holster in the OP. Lets just say the results were less than stellar and the design ended up in file 13. Gravity is one of the few things in this world that always works. Especially in top heavy holsters.

BailRecoveryAgent
07-02-2011, 19:59

I have more bad designs under my belt than I care to remember. I have been down the road of the holster in the OP. Lets just say the results were less than stellar and the design ended up in file 13. Gravity is one of the few things in this world that always works. Especially in top heavy holsters.

Wise man once said, "If you never experience failure you're not trying hard enough."

There is definitely a happy medium between high ride and low ride holsters.

05FLHT
07-02-2011, 20:15
I like my holsters to ride high. Gets 'em off the hip where you're widest. Makes for better concealment.

That's what interested me about this design. I know it wouldn't work for a bigger heavier gun, but it looks like it might work for a CM9 or LC9.

05FLHT
07-02-2011, 20:16

This is exactly what I am worried about.

05FLHT
07-02-2011, 20:17

If you don't mind me asking, what gun did you get the holster for?

Shadyscott69
07-02-2011, 20:27
<---------------

I didn't "get one", I made one similar years back. This is my version for the LC9

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq160/mikesull415/holster/2.jpg

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq160/mikesull415/holster/1.jpg

http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/uu106/shadyscott999/IMG_20110222_170558.jpg

If you don't mind me asking, what gun did you get the holster for?

Seraph
07-02-2011, 20:28
Wise man once said, "If you never experience failure you're not trying hard enough."

There is definitely a happy medium between high ride and low ride holsters.

There sure is. I like a holster that rides low, but only as low as can be, while still allowing the user to get his hand around the pistol's grip, without banging his knuckles into the holster or the belt. I see a lot of adjustable holsters around, which the users have setup to ride so low, that they have to almost reach down inside their trousers to obtain a firing grip on the pistol. In my opinion, that's too low. As well, if the holster is riding so high, that your thumb comes almost up to your armpit by the time you clear leather (or Kydex), then, in my opinion, it's too damned high.