I got robbed today... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I got robbed today...

DURBANS
07-02-2011, 14:42
... and I didn't have my Glock on me! FML. There's a very Peruvian "method" thieves use to rob you on stoplights. Don't think of the big dramatic things you can see on TV, it's very "delicate", very quick and it usually happens on the nicer sides of Lima.

You stop at the stoplight. You unfortunately have your window (driver's side) down. It's a 2 person operation. Someone knocks your right back window, so you turn around to see what happened. At the same time, someone else reaches into your side and grabs whatever he can. Usually, they like to grab on whatever you have on your neck. I wear a thin gold chain with a small cross that I've had for years, never had a problem. That cross is very special to me, it was given to me by my grand mother on my confirmation day (I'm Catholic).

Anyway, so it happened. I turned around and this dude reached and grabbed my chain and started to pull, but it wasn't breaking. Keep in mind this happened in less than probably 3 seconds. The guy kept saying that he was going to "kill me", by the way. Chain broke, he started to run. The car in front of me, opened the door to stop the guy, the guy smashed his body into the door and fell to the ground, he was hurt for sure. I didn't know what to do, I wasn't sure if he had a gun, I know I didn't. He quickly stood up and ran away on the other side of the avenue. I did notice the sound of metal hitting the ground when he snatched the chain, so when he ran away, I got out of my car, and my cross was lying in the ground! So that's a good thing, I was able to get it back.

Now. Here are my thought on this, and, the fact that I didn't have my gun on me. First and foremost, I need to carry it chambered. Second, a hidden "car" holster, would've been no good. Now, on the days I've carried it, I usually keep it on the seat next to me, in it's Uncle Mikes IWB holster. That's the best way, thankfully, I'm about to receive my Remora holster, so that would be an even better solution since the holster will grip itself to the seat while I draw the gun. Period.

Things that I could've done if I had my Glock on me. Well, as soon as the guy had his 2 hands on my chain, easily and quickly grab the gun, and shoot him. He was like a foot or less away from my body, standing outside my car. Just one shot, center mass, dead piece of scum on the street, and leave. Second option... say I didn't react quickly enough and the guy did steal my chain. When the guy in front knocked him down with his door, I could've easily gotten off my car, and ask him to remain on the ground, he moves, I shoot. Get my chain back. Leave. About him having his "friend" near, probably wouldn't have mattered, as that guy ran away as soon as the other one grabbed my chain.

I seriously swear, I'll never be out and about without my gun, there's a reason I bought it for, to protect me and my family. I was driving with my wife in the car, and the fact that she had to see and experience that, is something that is still burning me inside. This happened about an hour ago.

Thoughts?

Calico Jack
07-02-2011, 14:45
Sorry to hear about this. At least you are okay man!

emore
07-02-2011, 14:52
I know that's got to be eating you alive. Try not to let it. That scum has had their whole lives to dream up crap like that to do and you had two seconds to formulate and execute a response. You did nothing wrong. You and your wife are OK. You even got the cross back! Not a good outcome, but a heckuva lot better than some.
Glad you're OK!

Bogey
07-02-2011, 14:55
Can you shoot someone for ripping a chain off your neck?

Having thew gun on the seat doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Someone could distract you at the driver's window, and his partner could smash the passenger window and grab it before you knew what happened.

low octane
07-02-2011, 15:04
My wife needs to read this. Happy that yer ok!

HexHead
07-02-2011, 15:10
I don't know how it's done there in Peru, but up here in the Norte, you can't just shoot someone and leave. That's highly frowned upon.

Fungunner
07-02-2011, 15:12
Are you allowed to use lethal force to protect yourself against strong arm theft in Peru?

So many countries where thieves are a protected class.

Calico Jack
07-02-2011, 15:16
Wouldn't you be in fear for your life if someone was attempting to forcibly enter your vehicle?

Four Knives
07-02-2011, 15:16
Glad you're OK.
Glad you got your cross back.

Tough to armchair QB this one...
Everyone wishes for better situational awareness, e.g. as they approached, but I'm not familiar with Peru, and maybe pedestrians wander in and out of cars on the street pretty freely.

Sounds like you did all you could do.

From an educational perspective, knowing what you know, do you think you could have brought a handgun into play quick enough to stop the initial assault?

eta: thanks for sharing your story

glockurai
07-02-2011, 15:17
Are you allowed to use lethal force to protect yourself against strong arm theft in Peru?

The fact that he reached in the vehicle would make it a burglary here in FL. It could be the same overthere...or not.

dondulah
07-02-2011, 15:18
Yes, in Detroit in the summer, even today here it is 95 degrees and 95% humidity, we crank the AC and do not dare drive with the windows rolled down. Sorry you had to go through that but glad you are safe and have your cross.

2bgop
07-02-2011, 15:18
Glad you are alright. I'm sure it sucks losing that chain, but the outcome could have been much worse.

BroncoAZ
07-02-2011, 15:34
What are the laws about shooting people in self defense in Peru? I think you'd be justified in shooting while he is pulling on your neck and saying he will kill you, but here you'd be convicted for murder if you told him to stay on the ground and then shot him as he ran away.

The described method of robbery sounds very half assed and desperate, while not that lucrative and with a high degree of danger to the thief. Asshats like that are likely to kill someone.

KiloBravo
07-02-2011, 15:39
Very sorry this happened to you Darbans. I am sure you and your wife were scared as hell, as I would be as well. I am extremely happy that you were able to get back your property so quickly.

Situations like this are why I am ALWAYS armed, and why I ALWAYS drive with my Windows up and all of the car doors locked. I would consider doing the same from now on if I were you. Again, very happy you are all okay.

IndyGunFreak
07-02-2011, 15:46
Sorry this happened, but why is this in General Glocking...

Willieboy
07-02-2011, 16:21
I'm glad you and your family are okay. I don't like the idea of having a gun on the seat beside you either. I have placed one beneath my left leg (I'm right handed) and unholstered when driving through bad areas. Normally though, I like the AIWB carry method. For me, this method provides the easiest and fastest access.

I'm not sure one could get away with shooting someone in Texas over a chain. I know I would not want to shoot anyone over property. Threaten or endanger those I care about however, and it would be a different story.

Angry Fist
07-02-2011, 16:27
It might not be legal to shoot the ****er, but they may not investigate it too much down there, either. How do those things go in Peru, Durbans?

Glad you're OK.

outback45
07-02-2011, 16:28

Sorry that happened to you. Just be happy you weren't injured.

I'm surprised to hear they let you carry in Peru. Do you have to apply for a permit. Are you law enforcement. I'm actually really curious to know how that works.

rhikdavis
07-02-2011, 16:32
When that happens to me, I grab the arm..roll the window up and take them on a little ride down the freeway.

Stay safe.

DURBANS
07-02-2011, 16:48

Having thew gun on the seat doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Someone could distract you at the driver's window, and his partner could smash the passenger window and grab it before you knew what happened.

1) You mean shoot someone for pulling with a metal chain on my neck, inside my property saying he was going to kill me.

2) My car has pitch black tinted windows, you cant's see if I'm naked inside, even from the front; it's tinted as well. He robbed me because he had the right timing and my window was down.

Rail Driver
07-02-2011, 16:53
Your mention of "...shoot. Leave." twice concerns me. When you're involved in a self defense shooting, you ought to at least consider contacting authorities. I don't know how it is in Peru, but here if I shoot somebody, or even draw my gun on somebody, I'm calling the cops either in the process of, or immediately following my gun coming out if I don't already have them on the phone.

jack76590
07-02-2011, 16:54
A revolver, perhaps a Jframe or similar type with no or spurless hammer should be considered. Semi autos can jam if held in less than firm grip. Also you have to clear steering wheel and here 2" barrel revolver has advantages. Might carry J frame in pocket holster and move it to under your belt - center line to a little left- when get in vehicle. Or simply carry in that position in appropriate holster, if can conceal adequately. Perhaps untucked shirt over gun, but tuck in shirt to expose gun when in vehicle. Not to mention while glock trigger will not go off unless pull the trigger, it is still easier to trip trigger of glock by accident than with double action revolver. Good luck.

DURBANS
07-02-2011, 16:55
When that happens to me, I grab the arm..roll the window up and take them on a little ride down the freeway.

Stay safe.

Funny story; this happened while I was going to the car dealer to get my car serviced and so that they could... fix the damn electric window which for some reason broke down and needed help to be rolled up!! I could've rolled the window up but he would've laughed as it wasn't getting up.

I wouldn't have probably driven out leaving the dead guy on the street, for sure. I was writing out of anger. But it was self-defense, the guy was saying he was going to kill me, and he could've had a gun with him. What if I tried to fight him and he pulled a gun and robbed me? 3 days ago, some girl got shot in the face in her car (and survived) over a purse robbery... so I would've taken my chances by shooting the guy. Making sure he didn't stand up again.

DURBANS
07-02-2011, 17:00
Your mention of "...shoot. Leave." twice concerns me. When you're involved in a self defense shooting, you ought to at least consider contacting authorities. I don't know how it is in Peru, but here if I shoot somebody, or even draw my gun on somebody, I'm calling the cops either in the process of, or immediately following my gun coming out if I don't already have them on the phone.

Of course I would've, like I said, I was writing out of anger. Sorry about that.

Maybe, it's the fact that the police down here pretty much look and give you the same feeling as the thief that stole my chain! But yeah, I would've called them.

bug
07-02-2011, 17:13
I am glad you came out ok good to hear and you got the cross back bonus.

But the way I read your response is that next time you will shoot him point blank in the car?

If you fire a gun inside your car there can be real problems (very loud). also when you are that close you need to make sure you do not shove your muzzle into there body and take the weapon out of battery.
At that close a range

I think maybe the seat would be bad even with tinted windows as a smash and grab is easy.

Do you have a nice car? so nice that it stands out among all the other cars?

Is window tinting common there?
if not this may make you a target. (you must have something worth hiding)

Just a few thoughts.

Frank V
07-02-2011, 17:13
I loved the part about the fellow in front of you opening his door to stop the fellow. That's classic, maybe the guy will learn from this, but I'd doubt it.
Shooting someone who is running away (trying to escape & no threat) after a strongarm robbery, will get you jail time here.
Frank

DURBANS
07-02-2011, 17:22

But the way I read your response is that next time you will shoot him point blank in the car?

If you fire a gun inside your car there can be real problems (very loud). also when you are that close you need to make sure you do not shove your muzzle into there body and take the weapon out of battery.
At that close a range

I think maybe the seat would be bad even with tinted windows as a smash and grab is easy.

Do you have a nice car? so nice that it stands out among all the other cars?

Is window tinting common there?
if not this may make you a target. (you must have something worth hiding)

Just a few thoughts.

It's a Toyota Corolla, 1 year old. Pretty standard, at least where I move around, so that wasn't really the problem. Tinted windows is fairly common these days around here, it actually helped me not getting my car robbed before. When I didn't have tinted windows, on my other car, I got my car stereo stolen 3 times in less than a year. Now, I've never had anything happen to the car. And like I said, it's fairly common. Unless it's a pretty bad side of town, thieves don't just smash the windows to see what's in the car.

HKLovingIT
07-02-2011, 18:00
Thoughts...Roll up the window and turn on the A/C? :supergrin:

I'm only half kidding. What if one of these guys just reaches in with a knife and decides to cut your throat while the other distracts you?

9mm +p+
07-02-2011, 18:13
I keep a Cold Steel push dagger tucked next to my seat for just such occasion's, bastard would draw back a nub. And no I don't care what the law says about it...

jack76590
07-02-2011, 18:17

At that close a range

Potential to push out of battery will not be present with revolver.

In regard to noise with windows open. I would not worry about it. Not only do you have more pressing concerns, but I don't think you will find that loud.

About a year ago I was at IDPA match with stage where you were in a car and had to fire out the window. Sort of based on just this type of situation. I forgot to put my muffs on. Yes I heard shot go off from my 9mm glock, but I still fired another shot or two inside car without muffs. My ears were not even ringing much if at all. Now windows open on both sides which may have helped. But again not the end of the world.

In the situation described I consider victim in real danger of grave bodily harm or death. Basically you are restrained in a choke hold. Bad guy is inches from you, you may not be able to see bad guy's hands which may hold gun, knife or even screw driver. You are facing potentially being shot or stabbed at any point with almost no chance to see it going, let along block, remember you are essentially in a choke hold.

Other carry option is gun between leg and seat. I don't recommend this with a glock. Even with double action revolver it is a bit high risk, but things have to be measured in the balance.

bug
07-02-2011, 18:36
Potential to push out of battery will not be present with revolver.

In regard to noise with windows open. I would not worry about it. Not only do you have more pressing concerns, but I don't think you will find that loud.

About a year ago I was at IDPA match with stage where you were in a car and had to fire out the window. Sort of based on just this type of situation. I forgot to put my muffs on. Yes I heard shot go off from my 9mm glock, but I still fired another shot or two inside car without muffs. My ears were not even ringing much if at all. Now windows open on both sides which may have helped. But again not the end of the world.

That is true about a revolver, however fired at eye level (where someone might be in this kind of thing) it may not be a good thing either. there are good reason to not put your fingers in front of the cylinder.
so it just something you would have to train for.
figured the op wanted ideas that is what popped in my head.

I fired 2 .357sig rounds in a small room out a window without ear protection last year I do not think I did permanent damage but I could not hear that well for a few minutes afterward.

I will not do it again though

Huge Grant
07-02-2011, 19:14
Wow, obviously everyone here is very happy you and your wife are safe. I don't even know what else to say really, except I agree with you... why not have it with you when the reason you bought it is to protect your family? Hopefully there is NO NEXT TIME, but if there is, I'm certain you will be more prepared, and more aware.

DURBANS
07-02-2011, 19:44
Thanks guys, i'm glad everything's alright too. I'm glad it was a small thing, I mean, they could've opened the door, taken my car, and anything in between. I'll be more prepared if there's a next time.

jamaicanj
07-02-2011, 19:53
Glad to hear that you were not hurt and that you recovered your cross. Your scenario in Jamaica would justify the use of your firearm.

On a separate note, I happen to enjoy my remora holster for my G19.

FireGuy
07-02-2011, 20:07
I work overseas and know the trap you got caught in. Need to remember to always have a way out. Keep six or eight feet away from the car in front. You can often get loose by using that distance to jerk the guy off his feet even if there isn't a lane or shoulder to escape to. Use the big steel weapon you're sitting in when possible.
Glad you are ok. Now be safer.

BailRecoveryAgent
07-02-2011, 20:11
Glad you and yours are ok. Oh yeah, concealed or open carry would have prevented this. I keed I keed!:wavey:

denn1911
07-02-2011, 21:18
This is a bad situation, but I'm glad that you are ok.

Just1More
07-02-2011, 21:26
If you shot the guy, you would go to jail since he wasn't threatening your life. Stealing isn't life-threatening.

DURBANS
07-02-2011, 21:36
I work overseas and know the trap you got caught in. Need to remember to always have a way out. Keep six or eight feet away from the car in front. You can often get loose by using that distance to jerk the guy off his feet even if there isn't a lane or shoulder to escape to. Use the big steel weapon you're sitting in when possible.

My mom always said the same thing to me, keep my distance from the front car, so I can use that space for whatever reason. Like I said, it happened in seconds, but I was aware of the fact that I could raise my window but, it wasn't working properly. The less "lethal" action I would've taken if my window was working, was to just rais it and beat the hell out of his hands. Then when the light got green, just make him walk with me a little bit and then let him go. But I didn't have that.

DURBANS
07-02-2011, 21:46
If you shot the guy, you would go to jail since he wasn't threatening your life. Stealing isn't life-threatening.

How exactly does it work in the USA? I've seen videos on Youtube about a BG getting into a store to steal, and the people inside, I can't remember exactly since I've seen a few videos, but one of them shot the guy, the other beat the hell out of him, one guy shot and killed the guy, etc. It was all under "robbery". Did they go to jail?

TACC GLOCK
07-02-2011, 21:59
I'm glad you and your family are okay. I don't like the idea of having a gun on the seat beside you either. I have placed one beneath my left leg (I'm right handed) and unholstered when driving through bad areas. Normally though, I like the AIWB carry method. For me, this method provides the easiest and fastest access.

I'm not sure one could get away with shooting someone in Texas over a chain. I know I would not want to shoot anyone over property. Threaten or endanger those I care about however, and it would be a different story.

I agree with the the IWB, and better yet IWB, I would not leave it on the seat someone can smash and grab to easily.

I also think that if some person is reaching into my car and grabbing around my neck for a chain or whatever, I am definitely in fear for my life, IMHO, I say legally rounds can be cut loose.

ANd yes 2 rounds COM through the car door if need be, it will get through it if it is at least 9mm.

jkinn
07-03-2011, 05:58
I know that's got to be eating you alive. Try not to let it. That scum has had their whole lives to dream up crap like that to do and you had two seconds to formulate and execute a response. You did nothing wrong. You and your wife are OK. You even got the cross back! Not a good outcome, but a heckuva lot better than some.
Glad you're OK!

well put

Chaos88
07-03-2011, 07:13
Iam surprised nobody has mentioned a basic hand to hand reaction. Grab the wrist and twist it away from you the body WILL follow its an instinctive reaction. Use the door frame as a fulcrum to turn his elbow inside out, with a little self defense training these reactions can become second nature. I have had more than a few friends try to surprise me with a choke hold that have quickly found them selves splayed out with their elbow underfoot. Don't think, just do.

Same thing applys with car carry or CCW for that matter if you have to take the time to think about drawing in a life or death where you are caught by surprise might be just 1sec to long. Get a setup that comfortable for you to deploy quickly and practice. Sit in your car and draw 50 times a day until its seamless. I for example keep a $10 walmart blackhawk holster stuffed between my seat and the E-brake, whole thing is 8in from the shifter and only visible from inside the car. I sit in the car CCW piece comes out tucks into there and iam good to go.

glockn_noypi
07-03-2011, 12:12
Sorry to hear what happened, hopefully next time you won't forget your glock!

DURBANS
07-03-2011, 12:23
One thinks of many things I could've done, certainly, grab both his hands and pull the guy towards the car. I'm a pretty big guy, the thief was a very little guy. Smash him towards my car, twist his hands, punch him in the face, etc etc. Pull a gun and make him run away too.

But, thankfully nothing worse happened, nobody hurt me, and I got the cross back. A gold chain is easily replaceable and not that special. I will be more prepared next time, and even if I used it or not, I'll carry my Glock with me, no questions asked.

Sonnytoo
07-03-2011, 12:29
When there are seconds to spare, the cops are only minutes away.
CARRY YOUR GUN, FRIEND. FOR YOU AND YOUR WIFE.
S2

125K9
07-03-2011, 15:23
Thanks guys, i'm glad everything's alright too. I'm glad it was a small thing, I mean, they could've opened the door, taken my car, and anything in between. I'll be more prepared if there's a next time.

I'm glad you're okay Durbans. At least here in Texas, the "magic words" in a self-defense shooting is, "I was in fear for my life." I"m not too sure about Peruvian law though. I did see one of the slickest tricks of robbery in Lima during a Christmas shopping season one year. This American looking lady came out of a very nice store, wearing a nice looking dress, and carrying an arm full of presents. (BIG mistake!) There was a little blind lady sitting on the street corner, begging, where this lady had stopped waiting to cross. Well, this "blind" lady wasn't so blind as she reached up and pulled the lady's panties down to her ankles. Of course, the lady droped all of her presents to pull her underwear back up and there went her new gifts! The "blind" lady grabbed one box, then got up and ran away. She had two male accomplishes who grabbed what was left. I was a block or so away and by the time I got there, with my THEN wife (a Peruvian) screaming for me to stay out of it, the thieves had vanished. If the rich lady had only had a Glock with her! (to keep this in the Glocking section)
Oh wait, Glocks weren't around back then.

outback45
07-03-2011, 15:36

Good advice about always having a way out. I never would have thought of this type of scenario had the OP not posted (a coordinated two man job that is).

larrybct
07-03-2011, 17:51
Sorry to hear what happened...but glad you're okay man

Warp
07-04-2011, 11:51
I might fear for my life/serious bodily harm if some guy was strangling me with the chain around my neck while saying he would kill me.

John Rambo
07-04-2011, 11:54
You couldn't have shot him anyways. It has nothing to do with laws, you just wouldn't have been able to get a round off until he was already running way away from your car. So don't sweat it.

clarson_75
07-04-2011, 12:29
sounds like there would be a niche here for someone to make a holster that slides onto your seat belt, holding the gun to your chest pointed at the drivers side door.

OctoberRust
07-04-2011, 18:52
Glad to hear you're ok. Well, glad to hear everyone was ok. It's outrageous when you hear scumbags doing things like this though.

AA#5
07-04-2011, 19:10

I think that's called a "Strong Arm Robbery." I'm not sure about the legality of deadly force in such a situation where the perpetrator doesn't use a weapon.

AA#5
07-04-2011, 19:13
That is true about a revolver, however fired at eye level (where someone might be in this kind of thing) it may not be a good thing either. there are good reason to not put your fingers in front of the cylinder.
so it just something you would have to train for.
figured the op wanted ideas that is what popped in my head.

I fired 2 .357sig rounds in a small room out a window without ear protection last year I do not think I did permanent damage but I could not hear that well for a few minutes afterward.

I will not do it again though

Whenever you "don't hear well" or experience "ringing" after exposure to a noise, that's permanent nerve damage.

AA#5
07-04-2011, 19:14

Possibly, but since there was also an assault/battery involved, plus two assailants, maybe not.

ncglock19
07-06-2011, 20:49

Dear God Man!!! He wasn't trying to rip the chain off the guys neck, he was trying to use the chain to choke the guy to death. At least that's what I'd say if I saw it and the OP shot him. :cool:

nc19

reniram
07-07-2011, 07:46
I think that's called a "Strong Arm Robbery." I'm not sure about the legality of deadly force in such a situation where the perpetrator doesn't use a weapon.

There are some states where a vehicle is considered an extension of your home under Castle Doctrine laws. Theoretically that means once someone reaches into your occupied vehicle as an intruder you MAY be presumed to be in fear of great bodily harm. But don't take my word as gospel. The law is different from state to state.