School a Glock Shooter [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : School a Glock Shooter

ptmccain
07-03-2011, 12:44
So, I got a Sig P226, as a Glock shooter, what should I know and be aware of about shooting Sigs?

I should mention I also have 1911s.

Thanks guys.

Top Gun Supply
07-03-2011, 17:00
One big difference between a Glock and Sig to know. A Glock likes light lube, at best, the Sig needs more. Especially the alloy frame models. The frame rails should at least be well oiled. If you are going to the range to shoot it extensively, I recommend putting a good grease on the rails. The steel slide will wear through the frame rail anodizing if it is not protected. I use grease even for carry, but I know a lot of folks aren't comfortable with that. If so, use oil for carry and grease for range. They will run for many years and many thousands of rounds if you keep it wet.

silversport
07-03-2011, 17:05
I have always found the GLOCK and 1911 to be closer in trigger pull (when going back and forth between them) but if you have a SiG P226 in traditional DA (DA/SA)...the trigger pull will take some adjustment...especially when going from the first shot to the second (provided you don't thumb cock it)...

Always use the decocker to decock...NEVER thumb the hammer down (defeats one of the safeties)...if you have an older stamped, folded and pinned slide with the alloy frame, it should be lighter loaded than your traditional 1911s (unless you have a lightweight)...they like to run wet (like HK) and not dry like GLOCK...:D

Lots of payload...if you have 9MM (you could also have 357 SiG or .40S&W) you have a very fine pistol that was designed during the Military trials that picked the Beretta 92 (SiG scored the very same score but at the time would not build a plant in the US...Beretta did...SiGARMS at the time was just an importer)...is a very fine pistol used by MANY...I cannot think of any scenario that a P226 hasn't run up against somewhere in the world...

Enjoy!

Bill

The Highlander
07-24-2011, 07:19
Incredible weapons. I second the wet vs dry thing. I use grease for carry and range. Every SIG I've owned is a tack-driver. "To Hell and Back Reliability" is their motto, and they live up to it.

Brad737
07-26-2011, 19:18
I just recently bought my first SIG, a P226 DAK chambered in .40. I also bought the .357 Caliber X-Change kit. The 226 is a FANTASTIC weapon. Very light shooting, VERY accurate, and the DAK trigger is nice. I'm sure you'll love the SIG.

AgentM79
08-06-2011, 08:45
So, I got a Sig P226, as a Glock shooter, what should I know and be aware of about shooting Sigs?

I should mention I also have 1911s.

Thanks guys.

The Glock pistol has a lower bore axis (the Sig sights sit higher above your hand). So, the Sig points differently. The Glock has a very "short" reset length for it's safe-action trigger mechanism. The Sig trigger takes longer to reset after the first shot, provided you are using a conventional decocking-lever Sig.

Sig pistols require significant lubrication - they are "wet" guns. I use MPro7 CLP on my Sig P220, and have had no new wear develop on the frame rails (it was "used" when I bought it, but like-new internally and externally). Lube it immediately before a range session, and you will be fine. Also, purchase a properly-fitting screwdriver for the grip screws on your gun (if they are hex screws, have the proper hex tool available). The damned grip screws occasionally loosen during firing. If your Sig is carried, check the screws regularly, and keep the tools handy.

I serve a Glock-using agency as an instructor (two, actually), and have taught Glock for half of my career. I carry a Glock daily. With that said, I LIKE my Sig P220 .45ACP. It's a nice occasional diversion from my G17, G21, and G26. The lubrication requirements, grip-screw looseing, and relative susceptability to corrosion (especially older Sigs, like mine) put my Sig in second-string status to my Glock pistols. But that's me, personally. I could do fine carrying a Sig as a service weapon. I would just be extra-vigilant about maintenance, and would keep the Brownell's Sig screwdriver in my field bag.

I hope this helps. Enjoy the heck out of that P226.

Brad737
08-06-2011, 23:06
I'd say it's the grip angle that makes the weapons point differently. In my estimation, a lower bore axis tends to mask muzzle flip/ felt recoil.

squiddie545
08-07-2011, 07:05
I am mainly a glock shooter. I own a P229 and love it; i do have one gripe. I have to change my thumbs forward grip... the pistol would not slide lock with the last round. I presume that I was activating the slide release with my thumbs. I had to curl my thumbs a bit to do this which i am not crazy about because I have to consciously think about doing this as oppose to the thumbs straight shooting grip I am used to with my glocks. Is this a Sig thing? How else does one shoot sigs w/o activating the slide release?

Brad737
08-07-2011, 07:14
My 226 came with Crimson Trace grips installed. Those grips are kind of fat. If anything, those grips make the slide release a bit difficult to press, let alone accidentally. You may consider trying those.

AgentM79
08-07-2011, 07:26
I am mainly a glock shooter. I own a P229 and love it; i do have one gripe. I have to change my thumbs forward grip... the pistol would not slide lock with the last round. I presume that I was activating the slide release with my thumbs. I had to curl my thumbs a bit to do this which i am not crazy about because I have to consciously think about doing this as oppose to the thumbs straight shooting grip I am used to with my glocks. Is this a Sig thing? How else does one shoot sigs w/o activating the slide release?

That's because of the placement of the Sig slide release lever. So, yes, it's a Sig thing. Brad737's wisdom will potentially solve the problem, though a slip-on grip over the existing Sig panels will likely accomplish the same thing. This is a common user complaint with the Sig design. I tend to shoot with a curled-down thumb to begin with, so I seldom experience this issue with my P220.

Cobra64
08-07-2011, 11:34

Competition shooter and former Sig Academy instructor. (http://www.downrange.tv/videos/bruce-gray.htm)

You can note his thumbs positioning if you freeze-frame in between shots.

Metal_Tiger
12-25-2011, 02:17
As a Glock shooter you will have an adjustment to make with the DA/SA of the Sig. If you plan on using the Sig as an EDC its advisable to practice the DA/SA double tap. Its two different trigger pulls. The Glock is easier in that respect. If its just a range toy then that issue goes away.

Yes to the Sig needing wetter rails. Overall the advice from the previous posts is excellent.

p.d.
12-25-2011, 08:51
The Sig pistols don't have two Glock shortcomings; the trigger guard which beats my middle finger to death and the finger grooves.