Building a PC, need a little help [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Building a PC, need a little help

Drjones
07-03-2011, 15:45
Hey guys.

I'm ready for an upgrade to my main desktop PC.

Here's the CPU I want:

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-i5-2500K-Processor-3-3GHz-LGA1155/dp/B004EBUXHQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309728426&sr=8-1

and I have no idea what Mobo to get for it.

Here's what I want my Mobo to have:

6GBPS SATA
USB 3.0
2 graphics card slots - I don't want SLI/crossfire, just want to possibly have 3 monitors. I already have one of these cards with Dual DVI (http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-nVidia-GeForce-PCI-Express-01G-P3-N959-TR/dp/B001ENI3C4) that I use to run two monitors, and I'm considering adding a third 27"... :cool: Hence the need for a second graphics card slot.

Any suggestions?

I currently have a Dell Dimension E521 and I'm hoping to use that case - will I be able to?

Will I have to get a new PSU? Will I have to get a CPU fan, or do they come with one?

I currently have an OCZ 60GB SSD as my primary boot drive, but I'm thinking of installing that in my dad's computer and getting myself a 120GB 6GBPS as my boot drive, and also having a 2TB internal, as I currently do.

I'll probably buy 8GB of RAM for my machine too....well, prob just 4 to start with. I periodically check my task manager in my current rig & I'm rarely anywhere near 2GB of usage & I only have 3GB in my current box.

I don't need or want screaming/bleeding edge technology, just something nice & solid.

Any other suggestions are welcome!

Pierre!
07-03-2011, 19:33
I have been lusting after the 2500K for a while.. .and these 2 ASUS boards look really Shweeeet....

ASUS P8P67-M (REV 3.0) (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131708)

ASUS P8H67-M PRO/CSM (REV 3.0) (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131711)

P67 give you the option to drive the CPU performance... and the H67 will *rock* the video performance. I think it meets your additional requirements of 6Gb SATA and USB 3.0.

Unfortuanatly, they are both mATX - the good news is that they will fit the APEVIA X-QPACK2 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811144145), but they don't have the 3 monitor 2 Video Card Slot requirement you specked out...

But it should give you a good lead on features. ASUS has always been good, and lately I am digging Gigabyte!

New PSU - with 2 video cards? I say ... uhm ... Yah!
Recycle the Dell case??? - No way, keep the Dell intact and clean it up and give it to a school kid who needs one. I have run the numbers, and it's better for me to 'publicly' donate to a kid who needs it than Craigslist my old stuff... and it would make some nice 'testimonials' for my business!

So consider donating the Dell, and just build a new box.

If you are looking for mainstream solid, Do Not waste the $$$ on the "K" series - It's built for overclocking, so you would be spending more than you need to....

DualCore Sandies go down to65W... the big sistah QuadCore Sandies are 95W... but it sure beats the 125W that the AMD's are cranking up.

It's a $15 difference on the i7 3.4Ghz, but if you are building another system, it all adds up.

Build your system based on Watts, and you will see that you more than likely will need a new PSU depending on your Video card Watt draw... along with DVD, HD(s) (you are gonna RAID1 that bad boy, Right? :cool:), Video and processor needs...

If you try an upgrade, you may end up disappointing yourself when you really need the system to run... I would do a 'press release' about the donation of a recycled system to a needy child at a school, and write it off and enjoy the phone calls.

Make that kind of promotion a habit, and you may get a really good thing going for your business.

Happy Shopping! This is a great weekend to purchase up!

Hope that helps you out!
Patrick - Who is slightly green with envy, but my upgrade time approaches! :supergrin:

Drjones
07-04-2011, 09:15
Hey Patrick & thanks....you are always so helpful!

Good call on the "K", but it seems that with the graphical BIOSes that so many boards run today, that it would be fairly simple to OC the 2500K just a little.....or is it not even worth it to OC? Would a few hundred extra Mhz make any significant difference at all?

BTW, on amazon, there is only a $10 difference between the i5-2500 and 2500K.

Hmmm....not sure if that was a typo on your part, but I went & looked up the i7-2600 & it's $299....tempting....:supergrin:

Good call on recycling the Dell & I'll prob. do that, but I do have another identical case (Dimension 5150) with a fried MoBo that I can probably use.

I don't know why, but I'm pretty opposed to buying a new case....I guess because I have tons of them lying around...:supergrin:

So dumb question, but when looking at whether or not I need a PSU (and what wattage to get) all I need to do is add up the numbers of how many watts a given part draws, right? So if all the components in my case draw 515W, then I'd need like a 550W PSU, right?

And no, not gonna RAID it - why would I when I'm dropping in a new 6GBPS SSD? :dunno::supergrin:

Drjones
07-04-2011, 09:17
Uhhhhh.....really dumb question, but is that your blog in your sig??

Man, you're all over the internetz & I've read many of your posts before - you really have a ton of great material!

Thank you for all the great blog posts!

m2hmghb
07-04-2011, 11:48
First question doc, what are you going to do with it? Second question, are you willing to spend time to research overclocking? Third question, are you willing to get an aftermarket heat sink instead of the cheap stock heat sink?

If you recycle your current PC pull the hard drive from it. FBI standard is to wipe and rewrite with random 0s and 1s 21 times and then shred and burn the disk.

What cases do you have? You have 2 choices in cases basically, easier maintenance but more frequent or less maintenance more involved. If you get a case with filters over EVERYTHING(I can't stress that enough, if you have open fans the other filters are worthless) then it's easy to clean the filters and replace them. No filters is better for cooling but you have to blow dust off more items and use compressed air to clean things.

Overclocking isn't that difficult, but you need to learn about it.

The I7 is always better then the I5, it's a question of how much you need/want. If you're gaming or doing graphics work I'd get the I7 if you're a casual user I'd get the I5. I would definitely suggest the K over the non K for the simple reason you might change your mind over time.

I would suggest getting an 850 watt power supply over a 500 watt. Power supply's are more efficient with a lower load, this way if you decide to upgrade the graphics cards you don't need a new PS. I have a corsair 850 watt in mine that works well and is a modular design so you dont have as many cables lose.

I would go with 1600mhz or above DDR3 ram and my preference is 8 gigs no matter what apps. The price is cheap enough. Get matching sets of ram if at all possible, they cost more but they're more likely to work out of the box then matching sticks of ram.

Pierre!
07-04-2011, 13:05
So dumb question, but when looking at whether or not I need a PSU (and what wattage to get) all I need to do is add up the numbers of how many watts a given part draws, right? So if all the components in my case draw 515W, then I'd need like a 550W PSU, right?

No Dumb Questions... :cool:

I would give it waaaay more head room - Figure that 515W is the 70% range of the PSU - so.... When I take 70% of a 750Watt, I get 525W. You want some head room for growth, and as PSU's approach their Watt rating they will loose efficiency and put out more heat... Add to this even a minor overclock, and you will be waaaaay beyond the 55Watt rating.

Overclocking *requires* clean power, and lots of it if you go big. Even with a slight OC you do want some headroom in the PSU.

And no, not gonna RAID it - why would I when I'm dropping in a new 6GBPS SSD? :dunno::supergrin:

Arrite DrJones - Repeat after me - "If A Man Made It, It's Gonna Fail - Now We Are Just Dickering Around How HARD It Will Fail At The Most Inconvenient Time!"

You've been doing this long enough... :rofl: You know better! :supergrin:

I *love* building a new rig...

Have Some fun, and Share What You Build!

PS - Get a Windowed Fan for an OverClocked system... You will really want to know when a fan fails... don't ask how I know!!! :wow:

PSS - Yes, that's my Blog, and currently it's linked to a chapter of the new eBook. When you download it, please give me some feedback! Helps me learn more gooder... especially my English... :-)

Oh - And thanks for the encouragement! I work to help solve issues, but don't get much feedback usually... So thanks for the kind words Dr Jones! I appreciate that!

GotGlock1917
07-09-2011, 22:14
I have been lusting after the 2500K for a while.. .and these 2 ASUS boards look really Shweeeet....

ASUS P8P67-M (REV 3.0) (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131708)

ASUS P8H67-M PRO/CSM (REV 3.0) (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131711)

P67 give you the option to drive the CPU performance... and the H67 will *rock* the video performance. I think it meets your additional requirements of 6Gb SATA and USB 3.0.

I've got my eye on a i7 2600K Sandy Bridge and some Gigabyte MOBOs with the Z68 chip set.

What's your take on them? Have you dealt with Z68 Gigabyte boards or have any info?

Pierre!
07-10-2011, 00:25
I've got my eye on a i7 2600K Sandy Bridge and some Gigabyte MOBOs with the Z68 chip set.

What's your take on them? Have you dealt with Z68 Gigabyte boards or have any info?

Great question(s) GotGlock1917 -

I am gathering that the Z68 is more of a multimedia 'empowered' chipset, and should be very similar to the H67 in most respects.

From what I read, there is some ability to overclock on this chipset as well.

The integrated graphics engine on the i7/i5/i3 processor combined with the H67 and Z68 are reported to be great for general use, but for gaming a discrete video card is recommended///

The good news - the i7 and i5 processors will 'empower' either option - overclocking or graphics/multimedia.

If the mATX boards work for you, then the cost to change to a different direction - CPU Overclock vs Video Overclock - will be less of an impact. So you think you made a bad decision for your needs, simply swap out the MoBo.

When you go to the whiz-bang ATX boards the costs are really getting up there for the higher end boards. And, with that much $$$ tied up in a processor AND MoBo, the decision may be more difficult.

Personally, I think for most folks there is no mistake to be made. Most folks could really take advantage of the business class Video / Media options which will save on cost, and very few will really overclock to take advantage of the speed....

So -
H67 gives you business graphics for video without the requirement for an add on card - $ave money by not buying a graphics card, and you PSU will have less load.

Z68 combines the business graphics AND overclocking of the processor - I wonder how well it really does this?

P67 - Great overclocker, no built in graphics support - You would need to have a video card.

HTH
Patrick

gemeinschaft
07-10-2011, 06:39

Arrite DrJones - Repeat after me - "If A Man Made It, It's Gonna Fail - Now We Are Just Dickering Around How HARD It Will Fail At The Most Inconvenient Time!"

You've been doing this long enough... :rofl: You know better! :supergrin:

I have to agree with Dr. Jones. RAID is fine for some applications, but in this instance, having a backup image as well as keeping backups of his data would bee just fine.

That 6GPS SSD sounds sweet!

GotGlock1917
07-12-2011, 17:09
So -
H67 gives you business graphics for video without the requirement for an add on card - $ave money by not buying a graphics card, and you PSU will have less load.

Z68 combines the business graphics AND overclocking of the processor - I wonder how well it really does this?

P67 - Great overclocker, no built in graphics support - You would need to have a video card.

HTH
Patrick

Thanks so much for the info!

Since I am intending to go with SLI video cards A Z68 might just be pointless?

Maybe I'd be better off with a P67.

Sorry for the delay in my reply. I posted my question prior to leaving for the weekend. Just got back.

Again, thanks.

John

StarvinMarvin
07-12-2011, 19:31
Thanks so much for the info!

Since I am intending to go with SLI video cards A Z68 might just be pointless?

Maybe I'd be better off with a P67.

Sorry for the delay in my reply. I posted my question prior to leaving for the weekend. Just got back.

Again, thanks.

John

This article here (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/z68-express-lucidlogix-virtu-ssd-caching,2888.html) outlines the two main differences of z68 ( SSD caching and integrated graphics support).

I wouldn't eliminate z68 boards from your search because price difference isn't great, but imo a p67 is fine for anyone who plans on using any type of discrete graphics card.

What cards do you plan on using in SLI ?

eta: Drjones, did you build it yet? just curious because I've been wanting to slap together a 2500k build but have no use for it lol. My old e8400 is still ok for now.

GotGlock1917
07-12-2011, 20:04
This article here (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/z68-express-lucidlogix-virtu-ssd-caching,2888.html) outlines the two main differences of z68 ( SSD caching and integrated graphics support).

I wouldn't eliminate z68 boards from your search because price difference isn't great, but imo a p67 is fine for anyone who plans on using any type of discrete graphics card.

eta: Drjones, did you build it yet? just curious because I've been wanting to slap together a 2500k build but have no use for it lol. My old e8400 is still ok for now.

Thank you for the link. I have the article bookmarked for further study.

I'm not dead set on the video card yet but am currently planning something in the nVidia GeForce GTX 500 series.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709%20600007855%20600030348%20600094002%20600062522%20600007779%20600007835&IsNodeId=1&name=2%20x%20DVI

I don't know which manufacturer yet. I just bought an EVGA 9500 GT for my XPS 400. I haven't had it long enough to make any determinations other than I'm impressed with how quiet it is compared to my last card.

Pierre!
07-12-2011, 20:58
I have pretty much decided to try the Z68.. Here is what I selected:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128503

It's no inexpensive, but I like the feature set.

It wasn't too long ago that I *bricked* one of my Gigabyte boards, and they honored a swap out RMA.

It's pretty much the dominant MoBo in the SOHO, so I am gonna go with what I know.

HTH..

Patrick

GotGlock1917
07-12-2011, 21:06

It wasn't too long ago that I *bricked* one of my Gigabyte boards, and they honored a swap out RMA.

It's pretty much the dominant MoBo in the SOHO, so I am gonna go with what I know.

HTH..

Patrick[/URL]

This is the group I was looking at but haven't decided which yet.

[URL]http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007627%20600093977%20600041401%20600008722%20600036416%20600008635%20600036398%20600008975&IsNodeId=1&name=1%20x%20IEEE%201394a (http://glocktalk.com/forums/This%20is%20the%20group%20I%20was%20looking%20at%20but%20haven%27t%20decided%20which%20yet.%20http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007627%20600093977%20600041401%20600008722%20600036416%20600008635%20600036398%20600008975&IsNodeId=1&name=1%20x%20IEEE%201394a)

IndyGunFreak
07-12-2011, 21:30
I have 1 rule when it comes to Motherboards...

If it's not Asus or MSI, I do not get it. I'm not saying Shuttle, BioStar, etc.. don't make good boards, but the one time I deviated from this rule, I had a system that barely lasted a year. I've got 2 Asus based systems that are about 6yrs old and still going, and an MSI system that is about 8yrs old..

I'm sure there's others out there that I've built for other... but.... that's my opinion.

StarvinMarvin
07-13-2011, 00:03
I have 1 rule when it comes to Motherboards...

If it's not Asus or MSI, I do not get it. I'm not saying Shuttle, BioStar, etc.. don't make good boards, but the one time I deviated from this rule, I had a system that barely lasted a year. I've got 2 Asus based systems that are about 6yrs old and still going, and an MSI system that is about 8yrs old..

I'm sure there's others out there that I've built for other... but.... that's my opinion.

In my limited experience... Ive built 3 computers and my brothers have built 2...

the 3 asus and 1 gigabyte have been flawless the 1 biostar has had issues.

Personally all my computers will use asus boards. Ive got an old asus a7n8-e board running an amd athlon xp chip that still runs strong.

GotGlock1917
07-13-2011, 00:18
Was just reading this. Pretty interesting.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/asrock-z68-extreme4-asus-p8z68-v-pro-gigabyte-z68x-ud3h-b3,2939.html

Drjones
07-14-2011, 19:22

Hi & sorry for the delayed reply....work has been brutal...which is great!

Anyway, no, have not built it yet. Still don't feel perfectly comfortable with what MoBo I want. I'm still confused about the options & need to do more research.

I HAVE decided to go for the i7. It's only about $90 more than the i5-2500 I was going to get, and my time is money, so if I can get more speed for a little more money, it's worth it to me.

I also will not be replacing this thing too soon....will probably rock it for at least 3-4 years, unless some really insane stuff comes out that makes an upgrade worth it to me.

I have also decided to go with a more powerful PSU, as advised here.

I'm also going to go with 8GB RAM to start with; was only going to go with 4.

Dumb question, but the boards with build in DVI ports; those will be fully functional, right?

So if I throw in my graphics card that has 2xDVI out, then I will be able to rock 3 monitors like I've been considering?

IndyGunFreak
07-14-2011, 19:30
Personally all my computers will use asus boards. Ive got an old asus a7n8-e board running an amd athlon xp chip that still runs strong.

LOL, Small world... I built my sisters PC on that board several years ago. PC still works fine.

kc8ykd
07-14-2011, 23:06
LOL, Small world... I built my sisters PC on that board several years ago. PC still works fine.

i had two of 'em, now i have one that still works, although, it's power supply recently died.

the other started occasionally corrupting data written to one of the sata busses. i thought it was the disk that was the problem, then the mobo died. i threw the disk into another machine and it's been fine ever since.

they're nice boards. personally, i prefer asus quality and features. i've dealt with so many manufacturers over the years, eventually one realizes they're electrical devices and they'll all die at some point.

the first one i got from newegg was doa too, but newegg's rma process was super easy and i had another one two days later.

kc8ykd
07-14-2011, 23:08
i'm 99% sure that using an addin video card will disable the onboard dvi ports. with video it's an either/or situation, not and.

matrox makes some nice triple head video cards for desktop and mobile applications.

if you're not going to be using the 3rd monitor for hardcore 3d stuff, you can get a usb->video adapter for fairly cheap:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011403

Drjones
07-15-2011, 08:29
i'm 99% sure that using an addin video card will disable the onboard dvi ports. with video it's an either/or situation, not and.

matrox makes some nice triple head video cards for desktop and mobile applications.

if you're not going to be using the 3rd monitor for hardcore 3d stuff, you can get a usb->video adapter for fairly cheap:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011403

Awww, man! :(

Is there any reason I should get a 3-port video card instead of an additional to supplement the card that I already have?

kc8ykd
07-15-2011, 09:14
i'm not quite sure i understand your question.

you can add additional video cards using whatever open slots are available, however, they most likely won't be as fast as the primary add-in video card due to the interfaces not being as fast. so, if you do heavy 3d stuff, you'll want to keep those applications on the displays serviced by the primary card (this is assuming you're getting a good primary card in the first place).

if you get 3 or 4 outputs on the primary card, then you can spread those 3d heavy applications to the other displays without degradation.

really, it comes down to budget and what you plan to do with the displays.

i don't know a ton about sli stuff, but if you're still planning on going that route, you'll only get 1 or 2 displays out of the cards while using sli. but, i've read that there a circumstances where you can disable sli and run all ports from both cards. while you'd lose the benefits of sli, you'd gain the extra ports.

it's probably worth investigating more if you plan on going with an sli capable board

Drjones
07-16-2011, 11:04
kc8ykd:

All I want to be able to do is run three monitors as three separate displays.

Currently, I have two monitors and one is my main desktop, the second is configured as an extension, so that I can have different windows/programs open on the other display(s). Just a classic multiple-monitor configuration.

I do zero gaming or video editing, though I do of course watch a few videos on rare occasion.

Here's the card I currently have: EVGA 9500GT (http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-nVidia-GeForce-PCI-Express-01G-P3-N959-TR/dp/B001ENI3C4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310835730&sr=8-1) and I have zero complaints about its performance for my needs.

Sometimes, when I try to play a really hi-def video file, it stutters, but I think that may be due more to my CPU than the card....but I'm not certain.

Drjones
07-16-2011, 11:10

HTH..

Patrick

Hey Patrick....I'm still trying to figure this all out...I guess I'm kinda leaning towards the Z68 as well, as it seems to give me the capability to overclock if I want, and it also runs higher Mhz RAM - most of the P&H boards seem to run at slightly lower speeds; max seems to be 1333.

The board you linked to above seems to have everything I want & could possibly need for the next few years, so I'll prob do that one....

Another NOOB question, but that board measures 9.6" square & above you posted about M-ATX: the mobo that's currently in the Dell case I'm gonna use is about an inch longer on each side: will this mATX board fit in the case I have??

Pierre!
07-16-2011, 12:20
Hey DrJones,

Micro-ATX is a smaller board aimed at smaller cases like the APEVIA X-QPACK2-BK/500 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811144139&cm_re=apevia-_-11-144-139-_-Product) which will give you back some space in your office... the case I linked is the one I use... and I must say that the PSU is great for troubleshooting down systems, but I replace the PSU with a higher quality PSU...

The nice part about the X-QPACK2 series is that it takes a full sized PSU where the X-QPACK series uses a smaller PSU due to space constraints... With the X-QPACK2 I haven't had a show stopper yet, outside of changing out the CPU HS/Fan combo.

Won't matter to you as you are recycling the current case... but thought I would *stretch* your mind a bit.

So - The standoff's should fit unless Dell got creative on you.

Any more questions, Just Hollah!
Patrick

Drjones
07-18-2011, 22:14
Ok, so here's a final rundown of the components I'm looking at:

Gigabyte Intel Z68 ATX DDR3 2133 LGA 1155 Motherboard GA-Z68A-D3H-B3
Corsair Vengeance Blu 8 GB PC3-12800 1600mHz DDR3 240-Pin SDRAM Dual Channel Memory Kit
Corsair Enthusiast Series 750-Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified Power Supply Compatible with Intel Core i3, i5, i7
Intel Core i7-2600K
OCZ Technology 120 GB Agility 3 SSD- 3G SATA 6.0 Gb-s 2.5-Inch Sold State Drive

Comments?

StarvinMarvin
07-18-2011, 23:05
Motherboard looks like a good value. Nice features vs $
Ram looks nice, the price on all ram is pretty cheap right now.
That's a lot of PSU, I'm assuming some video cards in your near future. I'm rocking a low end corsair psu now and it's been great.
2600K rocks, If you live anywhere near a microcenter buy your 2600k there, they have the best price. Any thought to just getting the 2500k?
I've seen (online) way too many issues with OCZ ssd drives, but my brother does have a vertex2 or agility 2 that has been nice:dunno:. Personally I'd get the Crucial M4 SSD.

All in all, it looks very nice. That cpu should OC to 4-4.2 Ghz easily, whenever you add in some video card(s) run a benchmark or two so I can :notworthy:

eta: Whenever you get to OCing that chip, I'd think another cpu cooler will be necessary. There are many to choose from in all different price ranges. Something like the Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 won't break the bank and performs well.

Drjones
07-18-2011, 23:34
That's a lot of PSU, I'm assuming some video cards in your near future. I'm rocking a low end corsair psu now and it's been great.

Well, if you read up in this thread, some of the guys said that PSUs work better at lower capacity; so if I'm gonna be using 400w, I should go closer to 600 or so....I figured 750 will give me some room to grow, OC my CPU and also add an additional graphics card if I want to add a third monitor like I'm thinkin....:cool:

2600K rocks, If you live anywhere near a microcenter buy your 2600k there, they have the best price. Any thought to just getting the 2500k?

Yeah, I was going to go with the 2500K, but then I thought, the i7 just isn't that much more; like $90 more. I bill out at $75 an hour, so if having a slightly faster CPU can save me from staring at the computer screen for an hour over the course of a year, it's paid for itself.

Any further comments from anyone on the i5 vs i7?

I've seen (online) way too many issues with OCZ ssd drives, but my brother does have a vertex2 or agility 2 that has been nice:dunno:. Personally I'd get the Crucial M4 SSD.

Huh. Really? Where??

I did a ton of research before getting my OCZ Vertex 2 & everywhere I read, it was rated right up there with Intel's drives, which are some of the best on the market.

I've been using my OCZ for months now, no issues at all.

Where'd you read the problems with them? I'm curious.

All in all, it looks very nice. That cpu should OC to 4-4.2 Ghz easily, whenever you add in some video card(s) run a benchmark or two so I can :notworthy:

eta: Whenever you get to OCing that chip, I'd think another cpu cooler will be necessary. There are many to choose from in all different price ranges. Something like the Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 won't break the bank and performs well.

Yeah, I think I'm gonna OC it to about 4 just for the heck of it. And you really think I should get a better CPU fan than what the i7 comes with?

StarvinMarvin
07-19-2011, 00:25
Well, if you read up in this thread, some of the guys said that PSUs work better at lower capacity; so if I'm gonna be using 400w, I should go closer to 600 or so....I figured 750 will give me some room to grow, OC my CPU and also add an additional graphics card if I want to add a third monitor like I'm thinkin....:cool:

There is some truth to that... but most PSU need to be at about a 20% power draw to be in a good spot on their efficiency curve. With no gpu and a typical low (read near idle) load you'll be lucky to pull 100watt from the wall. I'm sure you'll add a gpu soon enough.

Here (http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=230) is a great link to a review of the psu i think you are talking about. At a 10% load where i think you'll be near at idle it is only 75% efficient(not bad). From 20% -100% load this PSU is 83%+ efficient. (very nice)

This (http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-sandy-bridge-review-intel-core-i7-2600k-i5-2500k-core-i3-2100-tested/21) link shows system power of a 2600k rig. I didn't check the gpu but idle is near 75 watts and load is near 150. With no gpu your power needs are very low, even if you massively OC.

I do very much like the PSU though, and room to grow is nice, so just hurry and get some video cards :supergrin:

Huh. Really? Where??

I did a ton of research before getting my OCZ Vertex 2 & everywhere I read, it was rated right up there with Intel's drives, which are some of the best on the market.

I've been using my OCZ for months now, no issues at all.

Where'd you read the problems with them? I'm curious.A lot of it is from the absolute volume of sandforce drives that OCZ sells, I guess. I've seen many threads of doa and quick death drives on a few different computer related forums.

Like I said, my brother has a vertex2 and it's worked fine. Take what I say about OCZ with a grain of salt, they have burned me before with crappy PSUs and poor rebate vendors, so I am definitely an OCZ hater.

Yeah, I think I'm gonna OC it to about 4 just for the heck of it. And you really think I should get a better CPU fan than what the i7 comes with?I'm not sure what it comes with, but Intel typically has crap heatsinks in the retail box. Try it out... give it a little OC and just watch the temp. You won't be able to go all out max-OC with the stocker, but you can get some added performance and always upgrade later if you feel the need.

MB_G19
07-19-2011, 19:35
Good information, thanks!:cool:

GotGlock1917
07-19-2011, 20:09
I'm not sure what it comes with, but Intel typically has crap heatsinks in the retail box. Try it out... give it a little OC and just watch the temp. You won't be able to go all out max-OC with the stocker, but you can get some added performance and always upgrade later if you feel the need.

I've heard that as well.
I'm also planning a 2600K and was looking at this with dual fans.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

StarvinMarvin
07-19-2011, 20:24
I've heard that as well.
I'm also planning a 2600K and was looking at this with dual fans.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

I've read that the hyper 212+ is about the best value in heatsinks - great performance and not $70+ like the megahalems or noctua or whatever is top dog these days. Depending on your case and ambient air temp, 1 fan is probably good enough.

GotGlock1917
07-19-2011, 20:36
I've read that the hyper 212+ is about the best value in heatsinks - great performance and not $70+ like the megahalems or noctua or whatever is top dog these days. Depending on your case and ambient air temp, 1 fan is probably good enough.

I still haven't decided because I'm SCARED.
I haven't selected a case yet and I'm worried about the cooler not clearing the ram or being too tall for the case.

I'm also looking at the board DrJones selected as well as two others.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100006519%2050001314%2040000280%20600093976%20600158412&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&CompareItemList=280|13-128-498^13-128-498-TS%2C13-128-494^13-128-494-TS%2C13-128-506^13-128-506-TS (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100006519%2050001314%2040000280%20600093976%20600158412&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&CompareItemList=280%7C13-128-498%5E13-128-498-TS%2C13-128-494%5E13-128-494-TS%2C13-128-506%5E13-128-506-TS)

Pierre!
07-19-2011, 22:25
These are the *RAGE* right now... This is the highest end model, the rest are *sold out*:

CORSAIR H80 (CWCH80) High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181016)

Using a X-QPack2, then these will actually help me out... If you have the room in the case for the tower coolers, they are *very* effective!

Patrick

Drjones
08-05-2011, 17:33
Ok, I FINALLY pulled the trigger on all this stuff. I got my head wrapped around the MoBo options and decided to stop #$*)ing around and ordered everything.

It really pushed me too, that my current rig started to lock up on me last night really badly; I'm sure it's because I've only got 9GB free on my 60GB SSD.....my new one is 120GB, so I'll have much more room. Of course, that's just for programs; all my documents are stored on a 2TB internal, and my pictures & music are on my NAS.

I went to order everything last night & was bummed that the i7 shot up to $340 from $314, but I just checked Amazon again, it was down to $314 again so I bought it instantly. :supergrin:

I also realized I need a new case! I was planning on using an old Dell case as I told you guys, I like the design of it and the price is even better (free!). BUT, then I realized a couple things:

1) I'd have to get a micro-ATX board, but I want to have some extra PCI slots available for down the road, and an ATX board won't fit in the dell case I have.

2) Most importantly, the panel in the back where all the ports patch through the back panel is NOT removable in any way; that Dell case is not meant to be re-used or upgraded too much!

Re: i5 vs. i7: I figured that, for only $100 more than the i5, if the i7 saves me even an hour of time over the course of the year, then it will have paid for itself. Plus, I just want to know that I have the best available. :supergrin:

So anyway, found a really good-looking case for only $59, added it to the list.

Here's my final list, all ordered & on the way!

Core i7-2600K
OCZ 120GB 6GBPS SSD
Kingston HyperX 12GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM
OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular Power Supply
Asus P8P67 LGA 1155 Motherboard
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 Tower (http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Tower-Case-RC-912-KKN1/dp/B003ZM7YTA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1312586684&sr=8-2)

IndyGunFreak
08-05-2011, 18:06
That case looks really good for $59.

I've got 1 experience w/ Coolermaster cases (it's actually what my NAS is in)... I believe there's still pieces of flesh inside the case. TONS of sharp edges, etc.. but I'm not complaining, I think i picked it up for $20 bucks at a computer shop here.

IGF

Javelin
08-05-2011, 18:12
Ok, I FINALLY pulled the trigger on all this stuff. I got my head wrapped around the MoBo options and decided to stop #$*)ing around and ordered everything.

It really pushed me too, that my current rig started to lock up on me last night really badly; I'm sure it's because I've only got 9GB free on my 60GB SSD.....my new one is 120GB, so I'll have much more room. Of course, that's just for programs; all my documents are stored on a 2TB internal, and my pictures & music are on my NAS.

I went to order everything last night & was bummed that the i7 shot up to $340 from $314, but I just checked Amazon again, it was down to $314 again so I bought it instantly. :supergrin:

I also realized I need a new case! I was planning on using an old Dell case as I told you guys, I like the design of it and the price is even better (free!). BUT, then I realized a couple things:

1) I'd have to get a micro-ATX board, but I want to have some extra PCI slots available for down the road, and an ATX board won't fit in the dell case I have.

2) Most importantly, the panel in the back where all the ports patch through the back panel is NOT removable in any way; that Dell case is not meant to be re-used or upgraded too much!

Re: i5 vs. i7: I figured that, for only $100 more than the i5, if the i7 saves me even an hour of time over the course of the year, then it will have paid for itself. Plus, I just want to know that I have the best available. :supergrin:

So anyway, found a really good-looking case for only $59, added it to the list.

Here's my final list, all ordered & on the way!

Core i7-2600K
OCZ 120GB 6GBPS SSD
Kingston HyperX 12GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM
OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular Power Supply
Asus P8P67 LGA 1155 Motherboard
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 Tower (http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Tower-Case-RC-912-KKN1/dp/B003ZM7YTA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1312586684&sr=8-2)

What is your total going to be you figure once you are done building that monster?

Drjones
08-05-2011, 18:20
What is your total going to be you figure once you are done building that monster?

$915.39, exactly. :supergrin:

I created a spreadsheet.

No tax, thanks to Amazon! :wavey:

Javelin
08-05-2011, 18:22

I created a spreadsheet.

Nice.
:faint:

IndyGunFreak
08-05-2011, 18:28

I created a spreadsheet.

How much was shipping?

Drjones
08-05-2011, 18:41
How much was shipping?

Yeah, that's where they got me....

It was $0.00 with Amazon Prime.

:supergrin:

IndyGunFreak
08-05-2011, 18:46
Yeah, that's where they got me....

It was $0.00 with Amazon Prime.

:supergrin:

Then you win!

No Sales Tax, no shipping.

To many people say "No sales tax!" then pay more in shipping than they would have in tax.. :)

Drjones
08-05-2011, 18:53
Then you win!

No Sales Tax, no shipping.

To many people say "No sales tax!" then pay more in shipping than they would have in tax.. :)

Yep!

But honestly, I'd pay an equal amount (in some cases more if its gun stuff) in shipping rather than pay taxes to the communist government in this state. :patriot:

Pierre!
08-05-2011, 22:49
*Nice Rig*... But...

No WINDOW?

Can't overclock with NO WINDOW!!! :wow:

Just make sure your CPU fan(s) are PWM managed, and run Speedfan! It's da bomb once you learn how to set it up...

It's on all of my systems that I care about... :rofl:

Yah, got a red headed stepchild system with no Speedfan on it... and it still won't DIE!

Let us know how it runs!

Patrick

Drjones
08-06-2011, 12:47
So....anything special I need to know when putting this guy together for the first time?

I've replaced RAM, power supplies, removed heatsinks in order to remove old thermal paste & apply it fresh, replaced many hard drives, etc., so I *think* I know how to put together a whole new unit, but I've never done it before, so I thought I'd double-check here....

Let me know if I'm missing anything, otherwise, I'll just throw everything into the box & do a clean install of Win7 Ultimate x64....

Thanks guys! I'm excited....the i7 shipped already & should arrive Monday, the case shipped & will arrive Tuesday, the PSU should have already arrived at my mailing box.....

StarvinMarvin
08-06-2011, 20:05
The only thing that can be tricky to a first timer is putting on the cpu heatsink, if you've already done that, you'll be fine.

I always assemble the mobo(cpu heatsink ram video etc.) on the cardboard it comes with before throwing it into the case. To make sure it's working/troubleshooting is easier that way.

Other than that, take your time and put a little effort into neatly wiring everything the first time. The case you picked up is one of the best budget cases - very nice cable management potential.

Let us know when it's up and running :cool:

IndyGunFreak
08-07-2011, 20:17
The only thing that can be tricky to a first timer is putting on the cpu heatsink, if you've already done that, you'll be fine.

I always assemble the mobo(cpu heatsink ram video etc.) on the cardboard it comes with before throwing it into the case. To make sure it's working/troubleshooting is easier that way.

Other than that, take your time and put a little effort into neatly wiring everything the first time. The case you picked up is one of the best budget cases - very nice cable management potential.

Let us know when it's up and running :cool:

Yup...

Also, make sure the brass standoffs are "bottomed out" on the case, and then make sure you securely mount the motherboard to those standoffs. Make sure any brass standoff, has a screw in it, if it doesn't line up to a hole on the motherboard, remove the stand off (cuz it'll short the board).

With all the other stuff you've done, you should have no problem.

Ogreon
08-07-2011, 20:43
[/LIST]

I really like my HAF case. It has plenty of room, good airflow, and very light (despite the steel).

Drjones
08-08-2011, 22:44
So EVERYTHING arrived today....except the case. Aaarrrgggghhhh!
One more day.....:supergrin:

Drjones
08-09-2011, 23:38
Case arrived today, I eagerly started on putting it all together.

It was a little more difficult & time consuming than I expected.

I kept getting "CPU Temperature" errors at bootup, not only was the thermal paste that came on the factory CPU fan inadequate, but I didn't seat it properly. :upeyes: At least I didn't burn anything up.....but I knew to NOT try to install the OS or really do anything further until I got rid of that error, because I didn't want to fry my CPU.

After all that jazz, then I started getting "No Drive Found" errors when I tried to install 7.

After a lot of agonizing and back-and-forth, I discovered that the brand-new OCZ SSD I ordered is DOA. Grrrrr......I installed it into a laptop and got the exact same error message, also tried to hook it up to my laptop via a USB adapter and I got the same "device is not ready" message that I always get with dead hard drives.

So, my new rig is almost complete, just no hard drive. Gotta call Amazon and maybe OCZ tomorrow, see who will return the drive for me.

I threw in another standard drive I have laying around, installed windows just fine, PC seemed to work OK.

Sure was nice clicking open the task manager/performance monitor & seeing 8 cores ready to work for me. :supergrin:

And so now I'm browsing Amazon & seeing that for only about $65-$100 more, I could get a PCI-e SSD......where does it end???:supergrin:

StarvinMarvin
08-10-2011, 01:18
Bummer about the SSD, but OCZ is not my fav company... btw, my brother who had an OCZ vertex 2.. it just died last week. I'd try to outright return it and get a crucial c300 or m4.

Since you have it running, have you tried overclocking it yet? Congrats on the build, I'm trying really hard not to impulse purchase a 2500k right now :supergrin:

sdsnet
08-10-2011, 01:22
I also really like Gigabyte motherboards. Their service is excellent and the quality is all there as well.

Also, this Freezer 7 Pro cooling fan works very well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134

HTH..

Patrick

Ogreon
08-10-2011, 02:08
It was a little more difficult & time consuming than I expected.

Cursing, weeping, and banging your head on the desk are easily 75% of the fun. Unless you are doing a lot of cannibalizing, the cost savings tend to be minimal.

IndyGunFreak
08-10-2011, 07:52
Personally, when it comes to heat sinks, I always use the stock units that come with the processor. Never had a problem with them.

Drjones
08-10-2011, 08:56
Bummer about the SSD, but OCZ is not my fav company... btw, my brother who had an OCZ vertex 2.. it just died last week. I'd try to outright return it and get a crucial c300 or m4.

Since you have it running, have you tried overclocking it yet? Congrats on the build, I'm trying really hard not to impulse purchase a 2500k right now :supergrin:

Oh heck no! I'm not gonna mess with OC'ing until I have it running just fine with everything stock.

StarvinMarvin
08-10-2011, 11:56
Oh heck no! I'm not gonna mess with OC'ing until I have it running just fine with everything stock.

I can respect that. Running some stability tests on everything at stock is the smart thing to do.

Drjones
08-10-2011, 12:11
Yeah, I also only loaded one of the RAM sticks - I've got 3x4GB, but just wanted to get it up & running first.

Amazon has shipped out a replacement SSD, should be here tomorrow. I decided to stick with OCZ.....My stuff is constantly backed up & I've had good luck so far with them, except for this one drive.

Drjones
08-11-2011, 21:12
OK!

New SSD arrived, popped it in, along with the rest of the RAM (I have 12GB total now) & DVD drive from my old box (needed it to install MoBo drivers) and I am up and running.

Verdict after messing around with it for a few minutes, hitting a few websites I typically use to see if a PC is connected fine (msn.com & Intel.com) and installing a few updates & programs:

HOLY CRAP THIS THING IS FAST!!!!!!!:shocked::wow::faint:

I mean, I was pretty happy with my old box - a dual-core AMD Athlon with a SATA II SSD, 3GB RAM, but this i7-2600K with a SATAIII SSD is just ridiculous.

EVERYTHING is SIGNIFICANTLY faster; browsing my Gmail, webpages load pretty much instantly, even browsing my NAS is much, much faster. Things happen pretty much instantly now.

I knew I was probably going to see a difference, but this is pretty awesome. I was a little concerned that maybe the performance difference wouldn't be as great as I was hoping & thinking, but I'm glad to see I was wrong, so sweetly and very wrong. :supergrin:

In all, I'm very happy.

And a huge thanks to each and every one of you, I sure as heck would NOT have been able to do it without your help and advice!!!!

Pierre!
08-11-2011, 23:21
Get the seatbelt for your chair, or a helmet... :wow:

Sad to hear about the delay...

Hot on it's heels was the *success*... :supergrin:

When yer ready we will be ready to hear your Overclocking Tails...

Check out ExtremeOverclocking.com Forums (http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/) - They have great guides to get you going, and some really neat folks over there.

Enjoy!
Patrick

GotGlock1917
08-11-2011, 23:53
Check out ExtremeOverclocking.com Forums (http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/) - They have great guides to get you going, and some really neat folks over there.

Enjoy!
Patrick

That's going to be a lot of help after I do my build. Thanks.

LinuxKnight
08-13-2011, 12:25
Glad to hear it's working good.
What video are you using now, built in on the mobo?
I didn't see if you had decided on a GPU(s) yet...
Benchmark this bad boy and post it :)

I was going to throw in about re-using a Dell case- unless you are replacing the parts with almost exactly the same stuff, it would be an exercise in frustration. Dell tends to be very proprietary. Reusing stuff like HDD, RAM, etc works, but cases, mobos, etc.... yeah good luck.

Oh and for a little more fun, when you have things settled- burn a Linux live CD (or put it on USB flash drive, even better) and take it for a test spin. Ubuntu, Fedora, Mint, etc are all good choices. With a live CD (or USB) you can try it out without installing.

Drjones
08-14-2011, 16:41
Glad to hear it's working good.
What video are you using now, built in on the mobo?
I didn't see if you had decided on a GPU(s) yet...
Benchmark this bad boy and post it :)

I was going to throw in about re-using a Dell case- unless you are replacing the parts with almost exactly the same stuff, it would be an exercise in frustration. Dell tends to be very proprietary. Reusing stuff like HDD, RAM, etc works, but cases, mobos, etc.... yeah good luck.

Oh and for a little more fun, when you have things settled- burn a Linux live CD (or put it on USB flash drive, even better) and take it for a test spin. Ubuntu, Fedora, Mint, etc are all good choices. With a live CD (or USB) you can try it out without installing.

No, I bought myself an EVGA 9500GT a while ago....1GB, dual DVI. For what I do - basic Office apps & internet - it's more than fine. Also works great for all the movies & videos too....

Yeah, I am glad that I thought to double-check everything before pulling the trigger. Not a huge deal, as when I went to put it all together I would have had a little surprise trying to put the new MoBo in the case. :supergrin:

I may mess around with Linux. Thanks for the tip. :)

Just FYI, while putting this whole thing together, I cut myself on something. I didn't even notice it until I saw a bunch of bright red smears all over the case & CPU fan....I was like, "WTF? I thought this case was all black?"

Then I realized I cut my finger somehow. I bled all over this bad boy, it is officially MINE! :supergrin:

Drjones
08-14-2011, 16:45
SO I thought I'd try my hand at OC'ing it....found a pretty nice guide here: http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overclocking/39184-p67-sandy-bridge-overclocking-guide-beginners.html

Got it up to 4.5Ghz, thought it was stable until I tried syncing my iPad and iPhone at the same time & got BSOD twice.

Then I thought I'd mess around with the board's built-in tweak features; when you first get into the BIOS on this Asus P8P67 board, it has three big buttons: some communist green setting, normal, and performance/optimized.

I hit the optimized button, saved, exited & rebooted, and my system is running at about 4.4Ghz, pretty stable so far. It even was able to sync my iPad & iPhone simultaneously, no BSOD. ;)

I think I'm just gonna leave it at this setting....