Networking through Airport [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Networking through Airport

wrenrj1
07-03-2011, 16:34
Or can I? I want to share files with my wife through our Apple Airport wireless router. It would be between my IMac and her Mac Book Pro. My iMac is running OS X and I assume her MB Pro is as well.

Pierre!
07-03-2011, 19:24
Or can I? I want to share files with my wife through our Apple Airport wireless router. It would be between my IMac and her Mac Book Pro. My iMac is running OS X and I assume her MB Pro is as well.

The best part about Apple products - Are the Tutorials!

That's how I learned about my MacBook getting started. I highly recommend their support site!

That should help you out quickly!

K1tt3n5
07-05-2011, 00:37
I know with osx lion you can.

Drjones
07-05-2011, 09:35
What sorts of files & what sort of sharing?

There's a big difference between wanting to share a couple photos & spreadsheets vs. videos...

I would probably steer you towards a service like www.SugarSync.com or a NAS - I like the ReadyNAS line from NetGear.

A NAS is a box of hard drives that attaches to your network, so you can dump files there and share amongst your network. It also guards you against drive failure, since there should be at least 2 drives in the NAS that are mirrors of each other.

For example, if you have a bunch of precious photos or home movies on your computer and you set it up so your wife can access them from her computer, you still only have one copy of the files. So when something happens to your computer, you're screwed.

If the files reside on a NAS, you don't have that problem, and you can also attach a USB drive to the NAS to back it up.

Again, depends what you're trying to do, but those are a couple options....

wrenrj1
07-05-2011, 09:46
Checking the tutorials it appears that I can plug my external back-up hard drive into the Airport and that will work, however how will that impact Time Machine? Will my iMac find the drive and continue to back up to it via the router?

We will basically be doing photo sharing.

Drjones
07-05-2011, 10:07
Checking the tutorials it appears that I can plug my external back-up hard drive into the Airport and that will work, however how will that impact Time Machine? Will my iMac find the drive and continue to back up to it via the router?

We will basically be doing photo sharing.

You'll probably have to re-set-up (is that a word? :supergrin: ) Time Machine, because since its location has changed, the computer will look for it in your USB port & give an error when it can't find the drive there.

Just open Time Machine & hit "select disk" and it should see the external drive attached to your airport.

Again, I caution you to be extra careful to keep backups, especially if they are photos you care about.

wrenrj1
07-05-2011, 10:20
You'll probably have to re-set-up (is that a word? :supergrin: )

Again, I caution you to be extra careful to keep backups, especially if they are photos you care about.

Thanks for the info. I do back up to an external drive and also subscribe to Carbonite for backing up to the "Cloud."

Still looking for yet another portable HD that I don't have to reformat for Mac for the Safe Deposit Box as well.

wrenrj1
07-05-2011, 17:43
Apparently, quoted from the Setting up and Adjusting Time Machine Instructions:
o set up or adjust Time Machine:

Choose Apple menu > System Preferences and click Time Machine.

Open Time Machine preferences
Slide the switch to On if Time Machine is off.

Click Select Backup Disk (or click Change Disk if you’ve already set up Time Machine).

Choose a disk where backups will be stored, and click “Use for Backup.”

Every available disk that can be used to store backups is listed. If you’ve partitioned a disk, the partitions are listed. Time Machine can’t back up to an external disk connected to an AirPort Extreme, or to an iPod, iDisk, or disk formatted for Windows.

Guess that option is out...

GAFinch
07-08-2011, 21:23
On your computer:

Apple Menu->System Preferences->Sharing

-On the left side, check yes beside "File Sharing"
-After you've selected that, it will show two little lists. In the middle one under "Shared Folders" click the "+" button and add which folder you want to share (your "Pictures" folder).
-Under "Users" click the + button and add your wife, either through your address book or by giving her a user name and password.
-Your computer will set it up, your shared folder will pop up on her computer on the side menu of a folder window, she will double click it and type in the password. Her computer will remember the password if you want it to.

*This is for her to access pictures from your computer and add them to hers. If you want to get pictures from her computer, then do this procedure on her computer also.

Tutorial with more options:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1549