Cross Dominant Sights [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Cross Dominant Sights

Zoldaman
07-03-2011, 19:36
For someone who is left handed and right eye dominant, are there any sights that make accurate shooting easier? I've tried the stock factory sights and also a "ghost ring" type setup, but really would like to find something that just works better.

Thanks!

2 Hawks
07-03-2011, 21:45
For someone who is left handed and right eye dominant, are there any sights that make accurate shooting easier? I've tried the stock factory sights and also a "ghost ring" type setup, but really would like to find something that just works better.

Thanks!

I'll trade you my left dominant eye for your right:whistling:
Kidding aside I don't think a special sight exist to help with a cross dominant eye shooter. I set up all my Glocks with the Pro Operator sight from Ameriglo and find they work well for me..They offer some rear sight space between the front blade which is quickly centered by the eye. However, I shift my hold to favor my left eye, or I can transition to my support side as needed when shooting from barriers..Some target shooters black out their shooting glasses on the dominate side which I think only handicaps you. Try adjusting your head position when sighting in..

Zoldaman
07-04-2011, 02:04
Yeah, this cross dominant thing is a pain. With long guns, there aren't any real issues that I haven't been able to work out, but with pistols, there is a need to try something different.

The TAS dot thing, http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=126561&CAT=3635 looks like a winner of an idea, but the reviews on the original model, by real people, are few and point out some serious construction issues. Apparently, there is a new, upgraded model, but I haven't seen any reviews of the newer model. It seems like it would work well for cross dominant shooters, since you can't see the colored dot unless everything is lined up correctly, though.

leadispenser
07-04-2011, 04:45
I suffer from the same affliction. Rifle shooting is not an issue due to the optic, and shotguns seem to pose little challenge too. As to pistol work, it depends on the distance. From 0-10 yards I incorporate point shooting. 10-20 I will cant my head so the left eye dominates the sight. Anything past 20 yards and I will squint and use my right eye only. Doing so may slow me down a tad, but I am accurate (and that is what counts).

flhtcm
07-04-2011, 05:09
I'm left eye-dominant and right handed Birth defect- Everything I do which required aim is left handed, dealing cards, archery, shooting long guns... and i am very accurate, when it comes to pistol,. I typically shoot right handed, using my left eye... I do a lot of weak side shooting so I'm ready for anything... the only thing that would cripple me would be loosing my left eye- then I'd pretty much be blind... I guess what I'm saying is practice, make adjustments, and become proficient with any and all possible scenarios... it's not about the sights, but how you aim...

bentbiker
07-05-2011, 20:36
A laser sight would solve the problem, but I'm guessing you've rejected that approach.

Zoldaman
07-05-2011, 21:25
I'm not opposed to laser sights and if someone uninvited was wandering around in my house at night, that would be a great option. But, at the range, outdoors here in Arizona, the dots tend to fade out and be hard to acquire, from what I've seen on other's guns.

bentbiker
07-06-2011, 00:36
Have you had the same experience using a green laser? Certainly, I would agree with your assessment using a red laser, and of course a red dot sight solves the problem the best.