S/P books [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : S/P books

powder86
07-03-2011, 21:00
Any S/P books y'all recommend? And I don't mean fictional stories... I mean books that teach skills and perhaps provide suggestions for preps and supplies for emergency scenarios.
I've found those old surplus books at the back of the Cheaper than Dirt catalog... i may pick up a few of those... but what else?

Akita
07-03-2011, 21:39
.mil has a bunch. Take your pick of topics as suits your fancy.

DOrth
07-04-2011, 11:44
US Army Survival manual, When Plans Fail, The Self Reliance Manifesto, Just In Case & Dare to Prepare are all good.

88MPH
07-04-2011, 13:23
Any S/P books y'all recommend? And I don't mean fictional stories... I mean books that teach skills and perhaps provide suggestions for preps and supplies for emergency scenarios.
I've found those old surplus books at the back of the Cheaper than Dirt catalog... i may pick up a few of those... but what else?

Although there's not a ton of instructional info in them, I often get S/P inspirations from books like One Second After and The Road. They're fiction of course but the story helps relate the reality of S/P.

Syclone538
07-04-2011, 22:31
The Boy Scouts Field Book has some good info in it.

powder86
07-04-2011, 23:06
The Boy Scouts Field Book has some good info in it.
i've actually got one of these and yea it's got a wealth of stuff. great little things. things i learned as a kid and forget as i get older.

tc556guy
08-01-2011, 09:08

Have you picked up much stuff in PDF form yet or are you sticking to paper copies.

SFCSMITH(RET)
08-01-2011, 11:57
The "survival books" sticky at the top of the page has several good recommendations..

Jim in MI
08-01-2011, 13:01
There are 4 I advise to anyone right from the start
1. 98.6 degrees The Art of Keeping Your (butt) Alive by Cody Lundin-wilderness survival
2. Deep Survival Who Lives, Who Dies, and Why by Lawrence Gonzales a psycology book on survival
3. On Killing by Col Grossman, a psychology book on violence
4. FerFals book on Argentina collapse

Read those 4 and really, really think about them, and then start worrying about what to fill your basement with.