crossbreed super tuck [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : crossbreed super tuck

glocktime855
07-04-2011, 10:40
just read an article about the crossbreed holster thinking about getting one anyone else have one and have advice???

ptmccain
07-04-2011, 10:40
Got one. Hated it. Sold it. Didn't work for me.

mastrbloata
07-04-2011, 10:48
Been thinking about one myself so I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

Mitothy
07-04-2011, 10:50
Take a look at galco king tuk. Every bit as good IMO and can be had for around 50 bucks from cabelas.

FinnFanatic
07-04-2011, 11:11
I 've had one for about 4 years now and like it. I don't wear it every day, but when I do, it's comfortable.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1248&pictureid=4627

Kingarthurhk
07-04-2011, 11:15
It is a good product. It conceals well, and has a lifetime repair/replacement policy. I know the owner/manufacturer for some time from another gun forum. I don't care much for him personally, but his ego aside, he makes a good product.

Warp
07-04-2011, 11:47
Have you spent some time with the search button yet?

janice6
07-04-2011, 11:53
I buy one every 5 or so years. They're thin and easier to carry IWB concealed. I would buy another.

In fact, I will buy another two when they make an IWB for my Chiappa Rhino "snubbie" and my 4" model.

alpsam
07-04-2011, 12:03
Try a Tommy Theis holster. He built one for me to fit my S&W Model 66 (IWB) and it fits great.

08GSWHITE
07-04-2011, 12:10
I have one for my Ruger SR9c and love it.

mgartland
07-04-2011, 12:23
I own two and love them. I carry a Glock 26 every day in one. The other will take either my Glock 19 or even my Glock 17, but I don't carry those as often. Comfortable for IWB, except for the G17, which pokes a bit.

BroncoAZ
07-04-2011, 12:44
There are a lot of similar holsters on the market. The Galco one is $50 at my local shop, and there are others that look as good or better than the Cross Breed. I haven't tried one yet, but I want to get something for my PM9.

cowboywannabe
07-04-2011, 12:52
I buy one every 5 or so years. They're thin and easier to carry IWB concealed. I would buy another.

In fact, I will buy another two when they make an IWB for my Chiappa Rhino "snubbie" and my 4" model.

do they wear out that quickly?

Tommy Hanrahan
07-04-2011, 12:55
Compare the Crossbreed to the Comp-Tac Minotaur - same general idea, just taken to the next level. After rubbing a hole in my pants with the exposed barrel of a 1911 I chucked the Inbreed and bought the Minotaur. I now have 3 of them and love the fact that I can buy just the Kydex shell and have another holster for a different gun for about $35. AND I can have the Comp-Tac holster in a few days vs. A few weeks, + no silly arse crosses on the clips!

Pvt.snoballz
07-04-2011, 12:56
do they wear out that quickly?

ive had mine about a year, absolutely love it. I carry an FNP-9 and only remember its there when i sit in my car (though its not too uncomfortable, even on long drives)

they are warrantied for life and they will replace (or resize if requested) for free.

Some may have an issue with the embossed crosses on the clips - im not a religious man myself but they certainly dont bother me in the least bit.

cowboywannabe
07-04-2011, 13:06
Compare the Crossbreed to the Comp-Tac Minotaur - same general idea, just taken to the next level. After rubbing a hole in my pants with the exposed barrel of a 1911 I chucked the Inbreed and bought the Minotaur. I now have 3 of them and love the fact that I can buy just the Kydex shell and have another holster for a different gun for about $35. AND I can have the Comp-Tac holster in a few days vs. A few weeks, + no silly arse crosses on the clips!

this seems to be a flaw in the design of making a one size fits most rig.....

DrBob
07-04-2011, 13:58
I have one that fits both my G19 and my G26. I've ordered one for my PM9 and I have a custom version for the BG380. They look Ugly but they work really well. If you are considering USPSA or IDPA and need a very functional CCW holster. They will work great and last a long time. If you need help at some point, there's that warranty.

I think the SuperTuck works best with the V(elcro) hooks and one of their custom belts with the loop pile sewn on the inside. It is totally concealed this way.

I also have their Slide holsters for OWB.

BroncoAZ
07-04-2011, 14:16
I have one that fits both my G19 and my G26. I've ordered one for my PM9 and I have a custom version for the BG380. They look Ugly but they work really well. If you are considering USPSA or IDPA and need a very functional CCW holster. They will work great and last a long time. If you need help at some point, there's that warranty.

I think the SuperTuck works best with the V(elcro) hooks and one of their custom belts with the loop pile sewn on the inside. It is totally concealed this way.

I also have their Slide holsters for OWB.

I can't see penalizing myself by using an IWB holster for competition. It may be more realistic, but I can't see it as competitive when others are using OWB.

Tommy Hanrahan
07-04-2011, 15:54
...... and besides, super tuck sounds like something RuPaul might do.

RMD
07-04-2011, 16:14
It, along with the MTAC, are generally the two most recommended IWB holsters made.

CBST is an excellent choice.

reppans
07-04-2011, 16:16
Take a look at galco king tuk. Every bit as good IMO and can be had for around 50 bucks from cabelas.
+1...

Wtih no long wait or religious insignia either.... Midway has them in stock too.

jeffyjeff
07-04-2011, 17:26
wear it every day, it rocks.

cbst or any of the same style holsters are the best iwb edc holsters around imo.

skorittnig
07-04-2011, 17:28
I own two, one for a 1911, the other for a G27

I recommended it to my dad as well.

Jim S.
07-04-2011, 17:33
I wear one every day.
It conceals my G21 very well and is the most comfortable holster (IWB) I've ever worn.
I like it low inside the waistband and with a lot of forward cant.
That could be because the 21 is a large gun.
I've worn mine every day for almost two years and it shows no sign of wearing out.
Actually it just seems to get more confortable.
I highly recommend the Supertuck to all of my friends or anyone who asks.

Sharky7
07-04-2011, 18:32
Supertuck is great. It is the holster me and my wife wear over 90% of the time when carrying concealed. Great holster...I prefer it over the rest of the hybrids I have tried.

I prefer the strong metal clips, even though they scratch up your belt a bit. To me, crossbreed has the best leather. Mtac, King tuk, and the rest have thicker less flexible leather backing. The more flexible the leather, the more comfort and the more it will conform to your body - which will print less.

FatPants
07-04-2011, 18:40
Love mine. Only holster I can wear all day.

OctoberRust
07-04-2011, 18:53
Got one. Hated it. Sold it. Didn't work for me.

This. I didn't like the metal clips wearing on my gun belt. the comptac m-tac has polymer clips which seem to be easier on my belt, and slip on and off, since I always keep my glock in the holster, unless I'm shooting it. The comfy factor was a little less IMHO than the mtac.

Goldstar225
07-04-2011, 19:12
I've had mine for seven months. Best IWB holster I've used. After using it with my G-23 for a few months, I ordered the velcro lined belt and V-clips. That made an excellent holster even better. I intend to order one for my Kahr K-40 in the near future.

cola490
07-05-2011, 09:42
There are threads about the Supertuck all over the place. It is the most comfortable holster I own, and I have 2 VMII's.

v188
07-05-2011, 09:44
Get a KHolster. works great and cheaper too. Life time warranty and the owner is a great guy.

FatPants
07-05-2011, 11:48
Get a KHolster. works great and cheaper too. Life time warranty and the owner is a great guy.

I had one, and I believe the Crossbreed is a better product, and worth the extra money.

beforeobamabans
07-05-2011, 13:37
The CBST works. It's that simple. However, it is a large ugly thing. You don't mention what gun you'll carry but if it's toward the smaller end of the scale like a G26, I greatly prefer a smaller, lighter, beautiful handcrafted leather such as Brommeland.

Mudshark100
07-05-2011, 16:27
I have two. One normal cut in horsehide and one combat cut in cowhide. I prefer the combat cut and the cowhide. I use it daily and am wearing it now while I sit in my den. Hides my G19 very well. As someone mentioned above, I sometimes use my Supertuck in IDPA.

NWGlocker
07-05-2011, 17:15
I have two. One for my SP101 and one for my G33. I love them. Great holsters. I wear mine all the time. It is my go to IWB holster.

Golddog
07-05-2011, 18:23
Appears huge and ungainly, but it's extremely comfortable on my skinny frame, and it's quick on the draw. Despite the large look, it's much more comfortable (and quicker) than expensive leather IWB's. While the M-Tac is also excellent, I actually prefer the Crossbreed metal clips; they seem sturdier

Sheepdog Scout
07-05-2011, 21:57
They're good holsters. But they're nothing revolutionary and a more expensive than they should be.

I own one. I wouldn't buy another.

TACC GLOCK
07-05-2011, 22:47
I have 3 (different guns), love them all, I also have a MTAC, but prefer the CBST.

GuinnessSynd
07-05-2011, 22:55
have heard good things about kholster http://www.kholster.com/ cant say from personal experience but a friend has had his a while and says its the "greatest thing sincedeer jerky" he is kind of a redneck

hickok45
07-06-2011, 11:29
AFter 20 years of IWB carry, I was certainly pleased to discover the Supertuck. I think this might be the future of IWB holsters, as there are similar holsters out there now, as has been mentioned. I have the Comp-Tac Minotar, which is almost the same. I've not tried the Galco offering that is similar.
The main thing is that you don't want to be turned off by all the leather, the strange design. That's what makes them work so well. Life is definitely good in the world of IWB holsters. :-)

countsk
07-06-2011, 11:36
I got mine about two years ago. I've been carrying concealed (legally) about 17 years now and this is the first time I've been able to really carry my G19 comfortably and not print.

Cheytac
07-06-2011, 11:45

:agree: :wavey:

glocktime855
07-07-2011, 17:36
thanks everyone for your thoughts

light-switch
07-07-2011, 19:33
I have 3 (different guns), love them all, I also have a MTAC, but prefer the CBST.

Why? I have a Kholster, and been wearing it for almost two years daily. While it is comfortable, is also cheaply made (when compared to the MTAC and CBST). I'm considering getting an "upgrade", but can't really decide which to go with...:dunno:

bmylesk
07-07-2011, 19:58
go for it. there will be haters, but you will not regret it. im 6 ft. 150 lbs. left handed holstering a G23.

Glockphobia
07-08-2011, 04:23
+1...

Wtih no long wait or religious insignia either.... Midway has them in stock too.

+2, got one for my g22, fits the sub sizes as well! wish they would make one for the 20/21:supergrin:

zmarshall
08-14-2011, 03:57
I just posted this review on youtube, it is one of very few reviews that will tell you the negatives about the holster rather than just regurgitating the hype crossbreed has quite effectively spread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njRlMvFcjsM

jeffyjeff
08-14-2011, 09:50
I just posted this review on youtube, it is one of very few reviews that will tell you the negatives about the holster rather than just regurgitating the hype crossbreed has quite effectively spread.

the manufacturing defect on the kydex and the barbs on the metal clips are valid criticisms. i had neither of those issues with my holster and i'm sure those aren't super common problems.. defects happen, contact crossbreed, they may just replace the holster for you. if not, those are easily remedied yourself.

that they charge extra for less leather is also silly, i agree, but it takes only a few minutes to cut the leather yourself and you even get to make it the exact shape that works for you. i personally don't look at something that's customizable as a negative.

you do not need all those tools to adjust the clips and you most certainly do not need to hammer the t-nuts into the leather. a screwdriver is more than enough to accomplish the task.

that it's not really that comfortable for you, being super skinny, is probably your most valid complaint. one holster simply can't be the best for everyone, i think everyone would agree to that.

i wear my cbst 16+ hours a day, 7 days a week. i literally cannot feel it in my pants right now, or most of the time for that matter. you say that's BS, that's all hype, in other words, that i am lying when i say that. i take great offense to that. it's ridiculous that you believe that because something isn't the best for you, there's no way it could be so great for anyone else. welp, FOR ME, the cbst is simply the best iwb holster i have ever used. no lies, no hype, no bs, that's just the way it be.

tl;dr: different strokes for different folks.

zmarshall
08-15-2011, 13:52

1) i personally don't look at something that's customizable as a negative.

2) you do not need all those tools to adjust the clips and you most certainly do not need to hammer the t-nuts into the leather. a screwdriver is more than enough to accomplish the task.

3) i wear my cbst 16+ hours a day, 7 days a week. i literally cannot feel it in my pants right now, or most of the time for that matter. you say that's BS, that's all hype, in other words, that i am lying when i say that. i take great offense to that.

1) if it was advertised as customizable and cost less I would agree, but charging custom holster prices for something that isn't custom until you put the work into it is not OK in my eyes.

2) When working on something I choose to use the amount of tools that makes it easiest, since I am a human, and we have technology on our side, I choose to use more than a screwdriver.... why make something that is difficult more difficult....

3) im not saying you are a liar, but getting used to a feeling and not feeling something are totally different. As you yourself said, it will be different for everyone so advertising via reviews that it is sooo comfortable you forget its there is a little misleading.

I appreciate you taking the time to be offended and make a negative post specifically targeted at me as if I somehow made that video with you as the target, however, I think that in your sensitivity you may have missed the point of the video. Which is that the holster isn't perfect, it does have flaws, it does require adjustment(at least) and some customization that you will have to do yourself, and that crossbreed could make it so much better if they put in the time and effort.

No apology to you sir, the video is meant to be pure and brutal honesty, it is simply my opinion, I even say that in the video more than once.

jaysonL
08-16-2011, 14:23
I've had mine about a year and a half, and I still really like it. Very nice product, you wont regret it if you buy it.

G31
08-16-2011, 14:24
Here is mine from the inside (so you can see the cracks. This is for a SIG P229, and it has not been used for anything out of the ordinary. The Kydex is too thin for a holster, IMO. I would get something of better quality.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y122/G31/1313526223181.jpg

Nakanokalronin
08-16-2011, 14:31
Here is mine from the inside (so you can see the cracks. This is for a SIG P229, and it has not been used for anything out of the ordinary. The Kydex is too thin for a holster, IMO. I would get something of better quality.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y122/G31/1313526223181.jpg

For the price of the CBST holsters, I would take advantage of their lifetime warranty and send it back for a replacement. Its obviously unsafe to carry a gun in it so I can't see them denying you a new one.

G31
08-16-2011, 15:01
I have the ability to heat and form a piece of Kydex to my gun, and will probably do that instead of sending it back for 6 weeks under warranty. As a side note, I almost ALWAYS use a warranty, when available, but decided not to in this case, due to the durability issues when using thin Kydex for holsters. I would be happier with thick Kydex, like most other makers use. The Kydex is only a few dollars for a 12"x12" sheet, and it'll give me a project to do. Luckily, the cracks are "contained" with my belt wrapped around them, so they haven't become any bigger in the last year of use.

All of the complaints listed in the Youtube review are the same as mine. I have cut down the metal clips because they jabbed me in the side, removed the sprue ends, did my own "combat cut" to save $7, and pretty much agreed with everything else he said. Additionally, the metal clips DO tear up my belt, and the "corrosion proof, chip proof coating" on them is crap. Mine is worn to bare metal on the ends of the clips, and the coating is bubbled up all over the back, where sweat builds. Not so impervious. I had the Kydex j-clips they offer, which were made of the same thin crap they use for the body...needless to say, they cracked and broke off. No good with those either.

I'm pretty much going to salvage the leather and scrap the rest. I carry in my MTAC because it is actually built like someone cares.

IMO, you could easily...easily make this holster in your garage using a heat gun and some cheap supplies found on many knife making websites (leather, Kydex, and screws). Heck, I might make some thick Kydex J-clips to replace the terrible metal clips the guy uses.

I would recommend a Crossbreed holster to someone like I would recommend they get castrated with rusty scissors. That's to say, I would never recommend them.:)

G31
08-16-2011, 15:10
BTW, I was not blasting your helpful response, so please don't take it that way. I was going to do exactly what you recommended at one time. I just think this holster is a huge disappointment.

Nakanokalronin
08-16-2011, 15:11
IMO, you could easily...easily make this holster in your garage using a heat gun and some cheap supplies found on many knife making websites (leather, Kydex, and screws). Heck, I might make some thick Kydex J-clips to replace the terrible metal clips the guy uses.

This is exactly what I was saying when I first received my CBST holster. I figured for around $30, anyone could make their own. I'd honestly still send in the holster and write a note saying the kydex is to thin to begin with. Maybe they'll listen at some point when enough complaints come in and make it thicker at some point. I really like mine but no way would I buy another one after seeing how simple the design is.

Nakanokalronin
08-16-2011, 15:14
BTW, I was not blasting your helpful response, so please don't take it that way. I was going to do exactly what you recommended at one time. I just think this holster is a huge disappointment.

No biggie. I have a like/hate relationship with my CBST. I like the design but I hate the price. Maybe they should try and make a leather lined kydex type. I honestly would prefer that to just kydex alone. They should also make the shells replaceable like other brands so an entire new holster isn't needed for every gun one intends to carry.

G31
08-16-2011, 15:17
I actually found a few homemade "how-to" threads on the net. It is surprisingly easy. One guy heated the kydex in a toaster oven to soften it, then pressed it around the gun using a homemade press composed of dense foam between two pieces of plywood. The plywood was hinged on the back, and pressed down, like closing a book. I lost the link, but will find it again.

Then there is the pride of making your own...:)

Nakanokalronin
08-16-2011, 18:33
I actually found a few homemade "how-to" threads on the net. It is surprisingly easy. One guy heated the kydex in a toaster oven to soften it, then pressed it around the gun using a homemade press composed of dense foam between two pieces of plywood. The plywood was hinged on the back, and pressed down, like closing a book. I lost the link, but will find it again.

Then there is the pride of making your own...:)

I saw that too but forgot where as well. I've seen a few other homemade copies that I wouldn't be able to tell from the real deal except for the lack of the cross logo. Most make them for around $25 - $35 bucks which is someone making a single holster. Buy in bulk and the price of material drops dramatically.

AcenJay
08-17-2011, 08:20
A few things that come to my mind:

No on the KHolsters, huge ugly leather slab, way more than necessary. Several holster makers that make the type of holster like the CrossBreed already use a pretty large piece of leather. However, I find it very distasteful how the owner of CrossBreed berated the KHolsters owner in a forum about how good his product is and the other being crap. How can you support someone like that?

There are other holster makers that make very similar holsters to the CrossBreed that are just as good and less expensive, such as shieldedholsters and theisholsters.

debbert
08-17-2011, 08:28
I have a CBST on order, and I will be happy to provide an opinion after I receive it.

bronc25
08-17-2011, 08:50
I don't have a CBST to compare it to but I own 2 KHolsters one for my Kahr and one for my fullsize 1911, will be ordering one for my glock soon. I've had my Kahr holster for almost a year and wear it almost everyday untill I got the one for my 1911. I wore it on a road trip for almost 48 hours and had no problems with it. Jimmy at Kholster is a great guy and offered to send me a new retainer after I managed to lose one of mine free of charge. I found the retainer and didn't need the piece but that kind of customer service is great and at 50 bucks with free shipping can't beat it.

AH.74
08-17-2011, 08:52
G31- I have heard that the turnaround for warranty repairs is done more quickly. I would call them to find out, it can't hurt. I would hold them to their word and make them fix it for you. It will also inform them of problems and possible improvements so as to not keep happening for others.

zmarshall- I agree that there's no reason you should need anything other than a screwdriver to make adjustments. I have certainly not needed a hammer or vice grips. I have had no problems with the mounting hardware whatsoever.

It also seems that you carry very low. Have you tried raising your beltline? It looks like you could get much better support by doing so. It may take some getting used to, but again it seems very low. Yes, I get that you are skinny. I am too. But I do not wear my pants so far below my hip bones. It almost looks like the gun would be against your butt cheek.

I have cut my ST extensively to make it work better for me. It's still not perfect but it works ok. I have also replaced the clips with MTAC plastic ones because I saw the metal ones immediately causing damage to my leather belt, and also because the plastic ones seem to work much better for ease of on/off. I also do not need to drop my pants to put it on- just undo the front and loosen the belt, slip it in and tighten the belt back up.

It is an "ok" holster. If I had to do it again I would try out an MTAC, and then opt for someone like THEIS who offers a much better price point.

Pvt.snoballz
08-17-2011, 15:43
ive had mine over a year and the kydex is just fine...maybe you sit on it in a strange angle? feel free to send it to me, i could use a spare

DaneA
08-17-2011, 16:09
I love my CBST. And yes I probably could have made it for less. But it is worth the extra $30 for someone that makes them everyday to make it for me instead of me having to learn the curve.

Made Man
08-17-2011, 16:19
I have a CBST on order, and I will be happy to provide an opinion after I receive it.

Yeah, this.

G31
08-18-2011, 10:31
ive had mine over a year and the kydex is just fine...maybe you sit on it in a strange angle? feel free to send it to me, i could use a spare

Yeah, I'll be sure to send you something for free....what's your address again?;)

I don't sit at an odd angle, but I'm active throughout the day. It might be flexing slightly outward on my draw as well...slightly, not like I pull it out at 90 degrees from my body or anything.

Made Man
09-03-2011, 13:17
I ordered mine on the 16th and it arrived on the 3rd. Didn't take very long at all. Its had about 3 hrs. of wear time. I took it off to take this photo. Can't really give an opinion yet, but so far it is very comfortable. I can see right now, I'll have to "combat cut" it and try a few more adjustments.

http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m552/Glockster_1/DSCN4381.jpg

txgunguy
09-03-2011, 19:13
I have tried so many different holsters, and finally settled on this one. Used cheap uncles mikes IWB, no name IWB, Galco summer comfort, Kholster (still use this occasionally), and finally the crossbreed.

The crossbreed has thin leather which makes it more comfortable. I also do not have the combat cut. I did that cut myself to my kholster only to find out the grip rubs my side all day. After years of CC and being uncomfortable and just dealing with it, I finally got the Crossbreed a couple months ago. CC is no longer irritating to my side.

Wayloss
09-03-2011, 19:22
I went with the "MaxTuck" as you can get and easily change the kydex for each gun you might want to carry.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

mhunter
09-06-2011, 12:09
It is a good product. It conceals well, and has a lifetime repair/replacement policy. I know the owner/manufacturer for some time from another gun forum. I don't care much for him personally, but his ego aside, he makes a good product.

+1 :steamed: