Eotech or aim point [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Eotech or aim point

EL COLONEL
07-04-2011, 11:35
Which can you see better in very bright sunlight ? I used to have an aimpoint and in very bright sun it was hard to see the red dot so I was wondering if the eotech would be better in very bright sun ? Thanx ....:wavey:

DOrth
07-04-2011, 11:39
I believe you'll be well served (and pleased) with an EOTech. The EOTech has several brightness settings I've used mine in everything from low light conditions to bright sunlight and have always been able to see the reticle.

EL COLONEL
07-04-2011, 13:31
10-Q..............:wavey:

doktarZues
07-04-2011, 13:35
Big eotech fan.. The ghost ring really helps in bright light and just the inherent design of the eotech seems to be more conducive to fast target acquisition, in bright light or otherwise.

K1tt3n5
07-04-2011, 13:40
I find aimpoints to be better quality faster to pick up and less of a heap of plastic than eotechs. Mine is brighter than I could ever need, great battery life and all of my buddies in the sandbox ended up buying their own if they were issued eotechs. If they were issued acogs they kept using them and I would have as well.

Steve in PA
07-04-2011, 14:51
Another Eotech fan.

I also hear lots of military love and swear by their Eotechs.

Singlestack Wonder
07-04-2011, 15:07
Aimpoint is the best choice. Do a search of various AR/M16 and Military forums and read about the multitude of Eotec failures.

Here's an example of Aimpoint's robust design:

https://danieldefense.com/TortureTest

doktarZues
07-04-2011, 15:11
I find aimpoints to be better quality faster to pick up and less of a heap of plastic than eotechs. Mine is brighter than I could ever need, great battery life and all of my buddies in the sandbox ended up buying their own if they were issued eotechs. If they were issued acogs they kept using them and I would have as well.

Sure you aren't being a little dramatic (cough bs, cough)? Granted when I was in Iraq 03-04 anyone that got issued any kind of optic was grateful (they were trickling in). I just can't see a soldier spending ~$500 of their money when they have an eotech.

dr_hefley
07-04-2011, 15:16
I guess I'm in the minority because I'm trying to unload my Eotech due to the fact I simply can't see it in bright sunlight. At 25 yards it's fine, at 50 I have to search for it and really focus. At 100 yards, it's essentially worthless to me. Just my opinion, YMMV.

MrMurphy
07-04-2011, 16:22
Dok zeus, thousand of grunts buy their own stuff. I know, i sold some of it to them after I got out. Battalion commanders even spent unit discretionary funds buying stuff like that.

I've had no issues seeing an Aimpoint dot in rain, snow, fog, hail, even sandstorm. If you're aiming into the sun, it's going to be hard to see anything period. But the Aimpoint dot has enough brightness settings to get past it and still have a usable dot.

K1tt3n5
07-04-2011, 18:04
Sure you aren't being a little dramatic (cough bs, cough)? Granted when I was in Iraq 03-04 anyone that got issued any kind of optic was grateful (they were trickling in). I just can't see a soldier spending ~$500 of their money when they have an eotech.

All of my friends in the military enlisted in 08-09 (general army, one sf, and a crap load of marines) One of them liked their eotech (army) the rest had more issues than they were worth.

K1tt3n5
07-04-2011, 18:05
I guess I'm in the minority because I'm trying to unload my Eotech due to the fact I simply can't see it in bright sunlight. At 25 yards it's fine, at 50 I have to search for it and really focus. At 100 yards, it's essentially worthless to me. Just my opinion, YMMV.

The newer aimport PRO is priced like an eotech with all of the advantages of an aimpoint you should check it out.

EL COLONEL
07-05-2011, 05:42
Thanks everyone !

DOrth
07-05-2011, 05:46
There's nothing wrong with eotech sights. I suppose some people may not like them due to personal preference. I've found mine to be durable and dependable have never had a problem seeing the dot out to 100+ yards. Here's an article about them including some durability/reliability testing.

I've seen the actual sight the author refers to that took a direct hit in the glass with a simunition round displayed at Gulf States Distributors in Montgomery, Alabama. The operator related that didn't even know it had been hit and successfully completed the training.

http://www.eotech-inc.com/documents/blueline.pdf

ScrappyDoo
07-05-2011, 15:17
I mean I don't know ***** about *****, but brightness shouldn't be the deciding factor, can't you turn up either of the damn sights lol?

The best part about EOTech is that awesome reticle. I would like to buy an EOTech because of that.

The best part about Aimpoint (and I own two because of this) is that you can get like 5 years of CONSTANTLY ON with it... one battery, setting 8 of 12, constantly on for 5 years. At maximum brightness (Which is a glowing ball of fire that will burn out the gosky like the sun) you get a YEAR of constantly on, and at low low settings you can get like 8 years... There is nothing even to compare that to, it's a class of its own.

I have two Aimpoint Micro's, and I love them, wouldn't change them for the world. I will probably (hopefully) buy some sort of EOTech in the future, and put it on a hopefully new AR, and have a different setup. And it will be like choosing the right golf club for the right hole and situation, same as choosing the right weapon and sight for the right mission.

boomhower
07-20-2011, 21:21
I like the recticle of the eotech but trust my life to Aimpoint. They are more durable and the battery life is vastly superior. The newer XPS eotech's are a big step forward but I still go with Aimpoints. Now an Aimpoint with the recticle of an eotech I would buy in a heartbeat. In the meantime I am very happy with my Aimpoint Pro. Being able to leave it on and just pick it up and go is worth giving up the superior recticle the eotech offers.

Satelliteman
07-28-2011, 18:20
If you have astigmatism, like I do, the 65moa ring on the Eotech will look like it's on fire.
The higher settings will bloom out completely. The center dot looks ok.
You should look through one before buying.

TrueGunNut
07-28-2011, 18:23
Acog ta44sg-10

conpro
07-28-2011, 20:32
Here we go again another aimpoint eotech fight. I could just see if i posted something like this i wouldnt here the end of it.

Hotsauce
08-01-2011, 23:05
each one has its pluses and minuses, look at each one, find someone with each one and shoot with it.

That being said, I had an aimpoint comp M4s, and sold it and have an xps now. Battery life does me no good, I am not fighting on the ground with it. I use it for plinking and such. I like the ring of death.

denn1911
08-02-2011, 20:46
I've had several AimPoint models over the years, and they'll all been flawless. I trust them 100%.

1baddmax
08-11-2011, 12:50
I've owned both an Eotech 517 and currently own a Aimpoint T1 Micro. Between the two I prefer the Aimpoint. Eotech wins for its reticle hands down, HOWEVER, due to light weight ease of use (knob vs buttons) and battery life I much prefer the Aimpoint.

LEAD
08-11-2011, 13:04
Aimpoint is the best choice. Do a search of various AR/M16 and Military forums and read about the multitude of Eotec failures.

Here's an example of Aimpoint's robust design:

https://danieldefense.com/TortureTest

Thanks for the link, that was interesting

conpro
08-11-2011, 14:18
I tried both and now have an acog if that tells you anything. And i am happy now.

Glockbuster
08-15-2011, 22:37
I love my setup. It is a micro H1 (aimpoint) with a Larue quick detach high mount. I can use my IS as cowitness with no problem, and I'm talking the stock front sight. I set it on the T11 of the flat top picattiny rail. A friend with an Eotech recently offered a trade and wanted to include the high riser with it. I said no deal. That being said though I must say the Eotech is also very nice. Another friend has an ACOG TA45-2. I love that amber triangle and the slight 1.5X vs. the other two. But that setup needs also a riser and flip up iron sights and I don't want to go that route.

JuneyBooney
08-15-2011, 22:43
They each have benefits. I like the eotech but aimpoints work well too. Try them both if you can afford it and sell the one you don't like.