Power Pistol Experiments this weekend. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Power Pistol Experiments this weekend.

Colorado4Wheel
07-04-2011, 16:35
Not a big deal but I find these trivial things interesting.

1) Finally got to try my 10mm Power Pistol load at night. This is a 180 gr bullet going 1150fps. Not a big deal but not a 40 Short & Weak load either. First round was a Factory Made Hornady XTP load. It had some flash but nothing major. Next up was my HomeBrew Power Pistol load. I was prepared to be blinded by the horrendous flash. It was nothing even close to that. Maybe twice as much as the Hornady load but nothing exciting and certainly nothing that would cause me to loose my night vision. Maybe it would be worse if I wasn't sighting down the gun using my sights. Who knows.

2) Tried some Power Pistol with my 155 gr non-water dropped. Leaded like a MF and flew sideways in about 20 rds. Back to water dropped for me. This was 4.2 grs of Power Pistol loaded to 1.080". Lyman has 4.1 grs loaded even shorter as a starting load for a 147gr lead bullet. So I figure it was a starting load or at least a low pressure load. It felt like a thumper to me. That is one of the things I like about Power Pistol. But clearly not a gaming load.

TH3180
07-04-2011, 16:59
I have been using PP for my 147g 9mm loads. All the data says 4.5-5.0g. At 4.8g it is for sure a light show even at the indoor range. I had a guy last week complain that my muzzle flash was destracting him from his shooting.

Colorado4Wheel
07-04-2011, 17:14
Does the flash distract you?

Zombie Steve
07-04-2011, 17:31
The other good news is that Stevie's PP loads (sorry, I had to) were noisy enough to discourage others from camping anywhere near our site.

Zombie Steve
07-04-2011, 17:32
I had a guy last week complain that my muzzle flash was destracting him from his shooting.

Tell Heather he needs to toughen up a little. How's he ever going to do a tactical reload while somersaulting in a firefight with a grizzly bear?

Colorado4Wheel
07-04-2011, 17:36
The other good news is that Stevie's PP loads (sorry, I had to) were noisy enough to discourage others from camping anywhere near our site.

That is true.

TH3180
07-04-2011, 17:56
Does the flash distract you?

I have a problem with shutting my eyes when I am shooting. I have been using the flash to try and keep my eyes open. I have really been working on looking for the flash ever shot. I guess I wouldn't say it distracts me. The 4.8g, 147g bullet is my pet load for USPSA and steel shoots. We will see come september when USPSA moves back indoors for the winter. The range were the matches are held doesn't have the best lighting.
I will say Blue Dot with a 147g 9mm will really light the place up if you go on the higher side of the data. I stopped using Blue Dot because I don't like how it meters.

TH3180
07-04-2011, 17:58
Tell Heather he needs to toughen up a little. How's he ever going to do a tactical reload while somersaulting in a firefight with a grizzly bear?

I told him I would be done in about 300 rounds. He didn't like that to much. Welcome to shooting at a public indoor range. The guy on the other side of me with his 12 year old kid both thought it was cool.

DoctaGlockta
07-04-2011, 18:06
I have been using PP for my 147g 9mm loads. All the data says 4.5-5.0g. At 4.8g it is for sure a light show even at the indoor range. I had a guy last week complain that my muzzle flash was destracting him from his shooting.

The next time you run into that guy in the lane next to you make sure you adjust your shooting position so that all the brass ejecting from your weapon hits him in the noggin. What is wrong with people these days?

Colorado4Wheel
07-04-2011, 18:34
I have a problem with shutting my eyes when I am shooting. I have been using the flash to try and keep my eyes open. I have really been working on looking for the flash ever shot. I guess I wouldn't say it distracts me. The 4.8g, 147g bullet is my pet load for USPSA and steel shoots. We will see come september when USPSA moves back indoors for the winter. The range were the matches are held doesn't have the best lighting.
I will say Blue Dot with a 147g 9mm will really light the place up if you go on the higher side of the data. I stopped using Blue Dot because I don't like how it meters.

You should try a faster powder. Unless you like the feel of full power loads for games. Might help you train away the blink as well.

TH3180
07-04-2011, 18:59
You should try a faster powder. Unless you like the feel of full power loads for games. Might help you train away the blink as well.

I've found with the faster powders and 147g bullets they get snappy. With a slower powder and the 147g bullet I get more of a push for recoil.