My brother has a CPW permit [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : My brother has a CPW permit

EAGLESFANPHILA
07-04-2011, 22:56
Concealed Paper Weight permit. He's visiting from Florida, and informed me he doesn't carry with a round in the chamber. I told him he has nothing but an expensive paper weight on his hip if that's the case.

What do you think?

Shinesintx
07-04-2011, 23:04
Concealed Paper Weight permit. He's visiting from Florida, and informed me he doesn't carry with a round in the chamber. I told him he has nothing but an expensive paper weight on his hip if that's the case.

What do you think?

That paper weight you are describing can become pretty devastating in less than .5 seconds...if he has been practicing with it.

I myself have chosen to carry without one in the chamber. Why? Because I am more comfortable that way. Nothing anyone can say is gonna change my mind. I have weighed the options, and its what I believe is best for me.

If you wanna carry one in the chamber...thats fine, its your choice. Why not give your brother the same respect for his choice?

HotRoderX
07-04-2011, 23:27
Trust me I seen videos of people carrying like that and they can chamber quicker then you can blink. Little practice makes perfect so if he feels safer with out one in the chamber then that's OK if he practices. Personally I have a phobia about chambered Glocks I know there safe I know they will not fire unless trigger is pulled. It don't mean a lick to me unless my Glock is pointed down range there is not a round in the chamber. I am not that way with any other gun, I have no issue with my 1911 cocked and locked.

paragon1
07-04-2011, 23:42
I don't understand why people who are not comfortable with one in the chamber don't carry a revolver, or a DA/SA hammer gun. I know it's possible to chamber one quickly, but what if you are having to fight off a guy with your weak hand. Or maybe you get stabbed in your weakside shoulder. You are turning a one handed weapon into a two handed weapon.

I know about the Isreali carry without one in the chamber, but that's a military/paramilitary type of carry. I bet the Mossad agent walking around the markets has one in the chamber.

paragon1
07-04-2011, 23:45
Trust me I seen videos of people carrying like that and they can chamber quicker then you can blink. Little practice makes perfect so if he feels safer with out one in the chamber then that's OK if he practices. Personally I have a phobia about chambered Glocks I know there safe I know they will not fire unless trigger is pulled. It don't mean a lick to me unless my Glock is pointed down range there is not a round in the chamber. I am not that way with any other gun, I have no issue with my 1911 cocked and locked.

If I had a phobia of a certain type of gun having a bullet in the chamber, you can bet the farm on me not having one.

btmar
07-04-2011, 23:48
You're right, he should probably just leave it at home...

/s

HotRoderX
07-04-2011, 23:49
If I had a phobia of a certain type of gun having a bullet in the chamber, you can bet the farm on me not having one.

I been trying to work on it because its really kinda stupid, but its the fact there is no safety on the gun to turn on or off that disturbs me

zigzagg321
07-04-2011, 23:51
The whole "takes two hands to chamber" is what sells me on one in the pipe carry. I dont want to risk possibly not being able to chamber a round... and Im not worried that my G26 is magically going to go off unless the trigger is pulled.

EODLRD
07-05-2011, 00:10
Surprised I, nor anyone in my department or neighboring department, has shot their jewels off. Why didn't anyone tell me carrying a Glock with a round in the chamber was dangerous?

:)

MadMonkey
07-05-2011, 00:13
The whole "takes two hands to chamber" is what sells me on one in the pipe carry. I dont want to risk possibly not being able to chamber a round... and Im not worried that my G26 is magically going to go off unless the trigger is pulled.

Takes only one hand for me, if needed :wavey:

JuneyBooney
07-05-2011, 00:15
The military ordered that their men on ships at Norfolk had to not chamber a round after too many negligent discharges.

There are different viewpoints on one in the pipe and it could go either way in reality because most people, even police, rarely shoot their guns in self defense. It is just the sight of the gun that makes people run. I have seen people chamber a round pretty darn fast but it also depends on the weapon involved.

iluv2viddyfilms
07-05-2011, 01:56
Common sense must prevail here. The odds of you being killed because you didn't have on in the chamber are far less than you being killed because you did have one in the chamber and had a negligible discharge.

I think too many people underestimate the gun and overestimate their abilities and how safe they are.

I don't carry with one in the chamber because I don't feel comfortable that way. To me one in the chamber means that round WILL be fired.

IndyGunFreak
07-05-2011, 02:35

Bingo..

"I trust it enough to go bang every time I pull the trigger, but I don't trust it enough to not go bang when I don't pull the trigger"..

What was it Joker said?

"Sir, I believe I was trying to suggest something about the Duality of Man, Sir"

10 camel hairs to whoever knows what movie that came from.. :)

IGF

IndyGunFreak
07-05-2011, 02:38
Common sense must prevail here. The odds of you being killed because you didn't have on in the chamber are far less than you being killed because you did have one in the chamber and had a negligible discharge..

I disagree completely.

emopunker2004
07-05-2011, 03:06
i disagree completely.

+1...

aeroengr
07-05-2011, 03:15
Common sense must prevail here. The odds of you being killed because you didn't have on in the chamber are far less than you being killed because you did have one in the chamber and had a negligible discharge.

Common sense would tell you that your metric varies largely dependent upon the situation. I'd like to see you find a relevant study that statistically proves your "common sense" theory though.

Common sense really says: The trigger doesn't magically pull itself, and if your gun is properly secured in a holster with a trigger cover, the trigger will not depress itself nor will the gun fall and hit the ground and discharge.

Sheepdog Scout
07-05-2011, 03:46
Bingo..

"I trust it enough to go bang every time I pull the trigger, but I don't trust it enough to not go bang when I don't pull the trigger"..

What was it Joker said?

"Sir, I believe I was trying to suggest something about the Duality of Man, Sir"

IGF
Full Metal Jacket.

I expect my camel hairs by Friday.

boomhower
07-05-2011, 04:01
Bingo..

What was it Joker said?

IGF

Full metal jacket.

One in the pipe for me. The quickness most self defense scenerios occur in isn't exactly leasurely. I'll take the speed of a chambered round. If no safety bothers you, why did you by a carry gun without one?

Bill Lumberg
07-05-2011, 05:58
Permittees are likely to live a full and natural life and never need a gun, much less with a chambered round, to defend themselves. While I would never carry unchambered, there's nothing wrong with someone choosing to do so. He has the option of chambering, versus someone with a paperweight who has no option whatsoever. There are plenty of permit holders who are probably better off carrying unchambered. Concealed Paper Weight permit. He's visiting from Florida, and informed me he doesn't carry with a round in the chamber. I told him he has nothing but an expensive paper weight on his hip if that's the case.

What do you think?

chivvalry
07-05-2011, 06:11
Just glad he's carrying.

Lior
07-05-2011, 06:21
IMO carrying with a round in the chamber assumes that CCW people never make mistakes and that bad guys pose a greater danger to them than they do to themselves.

Tommy Hanrahan
07-05-2011, 06:24
Tell that to the dude from Dayton, Ohio, he will disagree. Fighting off two assailants with his left hand, grabbed his 36 with the right and ended the attack.
Without a round chambered it is a paperweight, to believe otherwise is foolish. And it does not matter if it is a Glock or an XD or an M&P or a Walther or a Taurus or blah blah blah ..... If you are an imbecile it is possible to harm yourself or someone else, doesn't matter if you are using a gun or a knife or the family station-wagon.

McJohnny
07-05-2011, 06:27
It's a personal choice, and he's made his. Respect that.

SPIN2010
07-05-2011, 06:30
Surely anyone has the right to carry as they wish. :supergrin:

On that note, if the CCW operator does not have one in the pipe the presentation/chambering had better be perfect. I have seen time after time weapons that choke upon chambering a round ... even ones that have never done that before.

RussP
07-05-2011, 06:30

What do you think?I think that is the funny, CPW, Concealed Paper Weight.

Toyman
07-05-2011, 07:02
Whether someone carries with one in the chamber is of no big deal to me, it's not my life.

However, before the SHTF these people need to realize one thing when the SHTF:

You're only going to do what you have trained/practiced to do. If you normally practice slowly firing at a dot at the range, you're in for a surprise. You will basically be on mental/physical auto pilot. During the excitement/fear/adrenalin rush - thinking won't happen.

The problems I see with non-chambered carry are:
1. Requires action before shooting.
2. Introduces a period of possible malfunction when you don't need it most.
3. Requires both hands.
4. Could require operating the slide with one hand, which increases the likelihood of a malfunction.
5. Delay. It's only a 1/2 second, but how long does it take the bad guy's bullet to travel to you?

Also, during the excitement/fear/adrenalin rush - motor skills are reduced. Practice all you want, but there's nothing that guarantees you won't flub it up.

You say: "I can do it".
I say: "Willing to bet your life on it?"

Bottom line: There are many many more disadvantages to not-chambered than chambered.

I think that most people that carry this way probably don't understand the mechanics of striker fired weapons, and simply think that the striker is always fully cocked and worry about it firing accidentally at rest. If that's the case, then maybe they should switch to a DAO weapon or at least learn how these things work.

Cheytac
07-05-2011, 07:14

What do you think?

Better than not carrying at all. Who in your family doesn't carry, and what do you think of them? :wavey:

tackdr1ver
07-05-2011, 07:35
I been trying to work on it because its really kinda stupid, but its the fact there is no safety on the gun to turn on or off that disturbs me

http://www.imagepoop.com/images/ray_charles_holds_microphone_backwards.jpg

Excuse me sir, you seem to be confused.

Steve50
07-05-2011, 07:36
how do you chamber one in a paperweight?

Gallium
07-05-2011, 07:55
That paper weight you are describing can become pretty devastating in less than .5 seconds...if he has been practicing with it.

I myself have chosen to carry without one in the chamber. Why? Because I am more comfortable that way. Nothing anyone can say is gonna change my mind. I have weighed the options, and its what I believe is best for me.

If you wanna carry one in the chamber...thats fine, its your choice. Why not give your brother the same respect for his choice?

I hope your decision does not cost you your life, or gets you seriously wounded.

If you were to lose your life over being less than optimally prepared, can I have your guns?

'Drew

ashecht
07-05-2011, 07:56
always one in the chamber for me, regardless of whether I am carrying one of my glocks or my m&p. As said before, you must have confidence in the holster you use, to protect from you from grabbing the trigger accidently. The form of a good holster should not allow you to draw with a finger in the trigger guard. I have accomplished this by doing a combat cut on my holster which allows me to get a full grip on the handle of the gun. This and the ingrained instinct to leave my index finger outside the holster when drawing with my other four fingers. This allows my index finger to naturally move onto the slide of my gun when drawing it from the holster. I have practiced this(unloaded of course) hundreds, if not thousands of time to ensure it is second nature. Many good points made here regarding the possibility of one hand being incapacitated, and therefore making the racking of a round very difficult, if not impossible. Then again, I always carry the same make of holster all the time, so the chances of a ND is less.

BryanG
07-05-2011, 08:30
If I am ever in a self defense situation, I hope my adversary carries with an empty chamber.

Pvt.snoballz
07-05-2011, 09:34
If I am ever in a self defense situation, I hope my adversary carries with an empty chamber.

quoted for truth.

FireGuy
07-05-2011, 09:59
It's his decision as to how he carries.
I would suggest he go to an IDPA or USPSA match to see how this works out when he's put into a more stressful situation than standing on a square range or playing with his pistol in the privacy of his home. It's amazing how many very good shooters have problems when the adrenaline starts pumping.

quicksand
07-05-2011, 10:21

+1

What if the guy uses that old mafia tactic where he comes with a smile and shakes your hand, then with crushing force starts to squeeze.

Thug number two comes up and starts stabbing you, you draw your gun but because you are a numbskull and chose to carry with an unloaded chamber you sleep with fishes because you have no free hand to rack the slide.

If you afraid to carry an auto at the ready you should carry a revolver with one empty chamber. At least then all you need to do is pull the trigger which can be done one handed.

quadraceryfz450
07-05-2011, 10:34
Tell that to the dude from Dayton, Ohio, he will disagree. Fighting off two assailants with his left hand, grabbed his 36 with the right and ended the attack.
Without a round chambered it is a paperweight, to believe otherwise is foolish. And it does not matter if it is a Glock or an XD or an M&P or a Walther or a Taurus or blah blah blah ..... If you are an imbecile it is possible to harm yourself or someone else, doesn't matter if you are using a gun or a knife or the family station-wagon.

The gun was not on him when the attack started. IMO, that was the biggest disadvantage vs having a round chambered or not.

Since everyone asked for it, here you go:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUd2FzZm70w

Toyman
07-05-2011, 10:46
It's his decision as to how he carries.
I would suggest he go to an IDPA or USPSA match to see how this works out when he's put into a more stressful situation than standing on a square range or playing with his pistol in the privacy of his home. It's amazing how many very good shooters have problems when the adrenaline starts pumping.

Or better yet, sprint 200 yards, then have someone smash you in the face with a wiffle ball bat, then see how you do.

Think about it. Bad guy - good guy. They each lock eyes at the same time. Both decide to shoot at the same time. Who wins?

dosei
07-05-2011, 10:51
I don't understand why people who are not comfortable with one in the chamber don't carry a revolver, or a DA/SA hammer gun. I know it's possible to chamber one quickly, but what if you are having to fight off a guy with your weak hand. Or maybe you get stabbed in your weakside shoulder. You are turning a one handed weapon into a two handed weapon.

I know about the Israeli carry without one in the chamber, but that's a military/paramilitary type of carry. I bet the Mossad agent walking around the markets has one in the chamber.

I personally carry with one in the chamber.

But people that spout bs about racking a slide requires two hands are only showing their ignorance and lack of training. Even if you carry with one in the chamber, if you carry an auto you should be familiar with failure drills and one-handed failure drills. This means you should know how to quickly rack a slide one-handed (even if you carry with one in the chamber). The belt-assisted one-handed rack is very quick, easy to learn, requires zero fine motor skills, and can be done in nearly every conceivable position (including flat on your back).

Here is a video showing the belt-assisted one-handed rack being used in conjunction with an auto carried chamber-empty:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMsAvWOEj-k

Tommy Hanrahan
07-05-2011, 10:59
The gun was not on him when the attack started. IMO, that was the biggest disadvantage vs having a round chambered or not.

You are correct, but it really does not matter where the gun was; on his hip, in the console, or in a man purse, he still had one hand / arm that he could not use to aid in chambering a round.
It is absolutely a personal choice and if it was my relative or loved one I would point out what I see as a flaw (possibly fatal) in their thinking.

txgunguy
07-05-2011, 11:07

Not trying to start a pissing match, I personally feel the glock is safer than the 1911 with a round in the chamber, simply because of the single action on a cocked and locked 1911. They are both equally as safe when in a holster though. Not feeling safe without a manual safety is a just a mental block you have. Look at it objectively without bias and maybe that will help you get over it.

OP, love the CPW license.

txgunguy
07-05-2011, 11:09
This also brings to mind the recent self defense shooting video that was posted on here. The guy getting robbed at the gas station. He stated that if he didn't his glock chambered then he couldn't have shot his attacker because he had a hold of his left arm.

Gallium
07-05-2011, 11:11
I personally carry with one in the chamber.

But people that spout bs about racking a slide requires two hands are only showing their ignorance and lack of training. Even if you carry with one in the chamber, if you carry an auto you should be familiar with failure drills and one-handed failure drills. This means you should know how to quickly rack a slide one-handed (even if you carry with one in the chamber). The belt-assisted one-handed rack is very quick, easy to learn, requires zero fine motor skills, and can be done in nearly every conceivable position (including flat on your back).

Here is a video showing the belt-assisted one-handed rack being used in conjunction with an auto carried chamber-empty:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMsAvWOEj-k

...and you should also know then, if you have done much relevant force-on-force training, (and I suspect you have) that in up close conflict where folks are within bad breath distance of each other, or on top of you, you simply don't always have those opportunities to rack off the belt, heel, edge of sharp object, bad guy's face...

Sometimes all you're going to have time to do is draw the gun and press the trigger. When the lizard or dog brain takes over from the logical brain, you may even FORGET to rack the slide.

:cool:

'Drew

Toyman
07-05-2011, 11:24
...you should be familiar with failure drills and one-handed failure drills. This means you should know how to quickly rack a slide one-handed (even if you carry with one in the chamber). The belt-assisted one-handed rack is very quick, easy to learn, requires zero fine motor skills, and can be done in nearly every conceivable position (including flat on your back).

Do you really think that someone that is afraid of chambered carry knows anything about one handed slide racking?

vetmedglock30
07-05-2011, 12:45
'That paper weight you are describing can become pretty devastating in less than .5 seconds...if he has been practicing with it."

I can replace the slide in less than .5 sec. That does not mean that I want to try to put it together in a gun fight. C Smith once said "you do not want to have to assemble your gun in a gun fight." I contend that any weapon that has to be manipulated to make it useful is in fact disassembled.

quadraceryfz450
07-05-2011, 13:27
a fresh ND story out of the oven

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1353965

IndyGunFreak
07-06-2011, 05:03

I'm curious, if this "disturbs you".... Why did you buy a Glock?

Like I said.. "You trust a gun enough to go bang every time you pull the trigger, but you don't trust it enough to not go bang when you don't pull the trigger".

How long have you owned a Glock? Do you own other guns, or is the Glock your first? Then later in the thread, you say you don't have a phobia about this sort of thing.

donovan655
07-06-2011, 05:20

Agreed.

Empty chamber carry here.

Toyman
07-06-2011, 05:54

Ok, maybe you just need to learn how the Glock Safe-Action works.

See video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7sJrZB4r_Q

a. A Glock's striker (firing pin) is not all the way back when "cocked". It is not until the trigger is pulled that it is "cocked" all the way back.

b. There is a firing pin block that physically blocks the firing pin from firing a round unless the trigger is pulled back. You can see this by taking the slide off and then trying to push the firing pin towards the round. Notice how it won't go out the hole until the firing pin plunger is pushed in.

c. There is a trigger safety that prevents the trigger from going back unless your finger is across it.

Judge Roy Bean
07-06-2011, 06:34
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8475ocNvzw&feature=related

I think y'all forgot about the ninja reload.:mallninja:

HarleyGuy
07-06-2011, 10:16
My main three carry guns;
Kimber Ultra .45ACP, Glock 27.40cal, and a Kel-Tec .32cal.
I always carry with a round in the chamber.

IMO, if a civilian finds him/herself in a position where they feel threatened with great bodily harm or death, most are not going to have the time, presence of mind or motor skills to unholster their gun then chamber a round in time to stop an attack.

I remember back a few years ago a friend of mine was shooting in an IDPA match and he was telling me that he was running late and got to to the match at the last minute and din't have enough time to properly prepare before he was up and how badly he did.
You should have seen the look on his face when I asked him "how much time do you thing a BG would give you in a real-life situation"?

We all go to the range, prepare ourselves with foot position and shooting stance, we know exacly where and what the target is..and we still sometimes don't shoot as well as we'd like to.
And that target isn't posing a threat to us or shooting at us!:wow:

Donn57
07-06-2011, 10:37
Stupid me. I carried a Glock daily with a round chambered for nearly 20 years. I guess I was just lucky that I didn't kill myself or someone else with a negligent discharge.

Gallium
07-06-2011, 14:15
Stupid me. I carried a Glock daily with a round chambered for nearly 20 years. I guess I was just lucky that I didn't kill myself or someone else with a negligent discharge.

YOU LIE!!

:embarassed::supergrin: Sorry. That just slipped out. :cool:

LoadToadBoss
07-06-2011, 15:26
I have a friend who carries with an empty chamber. He says that he doesn't trust himself with one in the pipe. I say, If he doesn't trust himself, then I don't trust him either.

James Dean
07-06-2011, 18:16
I have one too. My Florida CWL means NOTHING here in NJ. Its just a paper weight

BailRecoveryAgent
07-06-2011, 20:37
<-------Carries with one in the chamber. I don't always have a free hand, if I'm carrying one of the kids, carrying our tactical diaper bag, and don't want to try to chamber a round one handed in the heat of the moment. Yes, I have practiced one handed reloads, racking the slide etc, but I don't want to have to do that unless the gun malfunctions or my other arm has been incapacitated.

Rick O'Shay
07-06-2011, 20:48
When my sergeant (security force) grilled me about whether or not I had a round chambered in my weapon (G22), I confirmed that I did have one chambered. When he asked me why, I said, "To minimize the delay between the decision to fire and the round downrange." The broad grin on his face confirmed his approval of one chambered.
And I'm not sure my LCP can be handled with one hand, unless there's one already chambered. The slide's a b*gger!

Lee-online
07-07-2011, 17:03
I carry a glock for a reason. Defending myself. In a high stress situation i want to be able to grab my gun, point it at the threat and pull the trigger and have it go bang. I don't want to mess around with a safety or racking the slide to chamber a round.

I guess carrying without one in the chamber is better than not carrying at all but i see it as less efficient.

nastytrigger
07-08-2011, 17:33
I too, carried pistols without a chambered round. But, I realized that if I'm in need of my weapon, it better be ready. I can't be afraid of a loaded gun, which I was at first. I trained till I knew that I could safely handle a fully loaded weapon limiting any possibility of a negligent discharge. I want to be as many steps ahead of the adversary as I can. Not a step behind.

If someone feels uncomfortable with a loaded chamber, than to me it sounds like that person is afraid of their own gun. If someone's afraid of a loaded gun, then get more training or carry pepper spray.

slickt0mmy
07-08-2011, 17:51
Add another one for the "one in the chamber club". I can't guarantee that I'll always have both hands free and ready to rack the slide. Sure, it's possible to do it one handed but not nearly fast enough.
Watching the video of the Dayton man getting attacked only confirmed my decision.

K1tt3n5
07-08-2011, 18:00
Pansies.

nastytrigger
07-08-2011, 18:05
Pansies.

I was trying to be tactful in my post, but this is what I really meant too :whistling:

trekdesigns
07-08-2011, 18:50
whatever makes you comfortable. i carry both ways. racking the slide is still faster than going back home to get it.

practice, practice, practice.

http://youtu.be/ZYX4_OQ2tUE

larry_minn
07-08-2011, 23:19

I think too many people underestimate the gun and overestimate their abilities and how safe they are.

I don't carry with one in the chamber because I don't feel comfortable that way. To me one in the chamber means that round WILL be fired.

Really? How do you figure that? (first part of your opinion) Its impossible for my carry gun to kill me UNLESS someone gets it away from me.

EAGLESFANPHILA
07-10-2011, 02:05

I'm not doubting the above, but my brother does not practice drawing and chambering the round. He's sorta new to firearms, and I feel he definitely should carry with one in the round for now.

EAGLESFANPHILA
07-10-2011, 02:10
I'm on your side. Under stress, I don't think even the most trained individual will be able to draw chamber a round, and then fight efficiently if they're not already wounded or dead. The time it takes to chamber a round could seem like an eternity in a SD situation.

EAGLESFANPHILA
07-10-2011, 02:11
It's a personal choice, and he's made his. Respect that.

I do respect it, but I think it's crazy; especially because it's a family member. I just don't agree with that carry method.

EAGLESFANPHILA
07-10-2011, 02:23
I have one too. My Florida CWL means NOTHING here in NJ. Its just a paper weight
I'm from Philly. My brother lives in Florida. We both can carry in each other's states! At least that's the one good thing in all of this.