Front sight help--who knows, it's worth a shot... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Front sight help--who knows, it's worth a shot...

heekma
07-05-2011, 11:01
Hey folks,

Age is creeping up. I'm having some trouble keeping the front sight on my G17C in focus. The G17L is fine, so is the G19. The 17C's front sight seems to be in a spot where my eyes just have trouble focusing. I can keep it focused, but boy it takes a lot of concentration and makes shooting a lot harder. On the shorter and longer guns I can relax and shoot.

Any ideas here? I mean other than just shooting the 17L and the 19! :supergrin:

I'm leaning towards a dab of bright paint on the white dot, but then I'll just have a blurry front site that's a different color than white...

Best,

Heekma

ronin.45
07-05-2011, 11:07
If your having trouble in such a small distance range you could simply adjust your arms slightly rearward. Hold the gun an inch closer to your face.

heekma
07-05-2011, 11:10
Hey Ronin,

Actually I've been doing just that. It works, but it's quite a bit more fatiguing than my normal stance, especially over several hundred rounds. Also increases felt recoil since I have my arms and wrists angled rather than strait. It does work though...

Damn I hate getting old. Never thought it would happen to me...:shocked:

Best,

Heekma

bigbearjack
07-05-2011, 11:19
Old eyes here also. With my type of glasses I must lean my head back so far to focus on the front sight that I look as though i am looking straight up into the sky. Any one have any tips on shooting with bi or trifocal glasses?

emore
07-05-2011, 11:22
I have the exact same problem. A little closer and my eyesight unaided is fine. A little farther and glasses are fine. But riiiiiight where the sights are is where I can't see squat. I can assure you, if you wear glasses, that a spot of white paint will just make a starburst of reflections that won't help a thing. Some people I compete with have said that they just use one or two powered reading glasses and that fixes it for them. Didn't help me but you can probably tell in the store without taking a gun in Walmart. (Actually, I won't go in Wally World without a gun)
If you find the definitive fix, be sure to post it here. I doubt we're the only two with that problem.
Good luck!

Gallium
07-05-2011, 11:49
1. Sell me the G17C!

2. XS big sights + bifocals.

:)

Gallium
07-05-2011, 11:50
Old eyes here also. With my type of glasses I must lean my head back so far to focus on the front sight that I look as though i am looking straight up into the sky. Any one have any tips on shooting with bi or trifocal glasses?

get shooting glasses. The "bifocal" script is in the center of the lens for your dominant eye only.

'Drew

frankt
07-05-2011, 12:48
http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/bf34.html

Get a pair of these stick on bifocals and put it on your shooting glasse so that you are looking through it when you are on the sights.
front sight will be sharp, rear sight and target will still be fine.

I have been using these for a couple of years and still on the same set. Go as weak in strength as you can (I use 1.25) and the lens will not bother you when not shooting.

Good Luck!

Tiro Fijo
07-05-2011, 18:41
Progressive lens bifocals.

maddy345
07-05-2011, 18:45
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc286/Krankypants/DSCN1653.jpg

21Carrier
07-05-2011, 18:55
Check out the ATS sights (Advantage Tactical Sights). I bought them for my G29, and didn't personally love them, but I've seen TONS of reviews from older people, and people with sight problems in general that LOVE them. They are big, bright, and are different. You complete a pyramid instead of the post in notch design (the pyramid design is intuitive and quick to learn). Plus, they come with interchangeable front and rear sight colors (each sight comes with a red, green, orange, white, and yellow insert), so you can change colors to the ones that best suit your vision.

I found them to be hard to PERFECTLY align (but VERY easy to get darn close, almost instinctive), and consequently, my precision was not as good (still PLENTY good for self defense use). However, they are EXTREMELY fast to acquire, and I imagine they would be perfect for anyone with sight problems. They are a GREAT combat/SD sight. I was looking for good accuracy out to 50+ yards, and they just didn't provide enough precision for me, but I may not have given them enough practice. For SD work, they are ideal.

Check them out, they may be perfect for you.

C0untZer0
07-05-2011, 19:07
What about getting glasses?

I have a different problem. I can see the front sight OK, but the target at 25' is just a fuzzy blur.

I was thinking of asking my eye doctor for a pair of glasses specifically for that range...

Sonnytoo
07-05-2011, 22:26
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc286/Krankypants/DSCN1653.jpg

That AmeriGlo is a great front sight, but that won't help his eye to focus on it; just to see it more easily.

byf43
07-06-2011, 06:13
Hey folks,

Age is creeping up. I'm having some trouble keeping the front sight on my G17C in focus. The G17L is fine, so is the G19. The 17C's front sight seems to be in a spot where my eyes just have trouble focusing. I can keep it focused, but boy it takes a lot of concentration and makes shooting a lot harder. On the shorter and longer guns I can relax and shoot.

Any ideas here? I mean other than just shooting the 17L and the 19! :supergrin:

I'm leaning towards a dab of bright paint on the white dot, but then I'll just have a blurry front site that's a different color than white...

Best,

Heekma

Welcome to the aging process!!!!!

In my younger years, my eyesight was incredibly good. (20/15 right eye - 20/18 left eye.)
At age 42, I started noticing that my vision was 'slipping', so, I went to see my opthamologist, and he prescribed reading glasses.

Age 46, I got three bad scratches across my right cornea.
Back to the opthamologist.
Now, I have a 'haze' over my right eye, and need glasses all the time. (If I want to actually "see" what I'm looking at.)

My opthamologist is really good. He is even a shooter!!!
When I was having problems focusing on the front sight of my favorite 1911, he said to bring it with me, and he'd get the proper prescription for that distance, using my preferred grasp on pistols.

Bottom line. . . talk to your eye doctor. He/she may or may not allow you to bring in a handgun to tailor your glasses.
If he/she doesn't, get a piece of wood and cut it to resemble a handgun and put something to mimic a front sight, and get some prescription lenses, so that you can focus on that front sight.

I hope that helps.

Cap'n
07-06-2011, 07:05
Got the same problem at age 64. Have been trying to cope for a couple years using standard tri-focal eyeglasses which requires lots of head tilting (as OP noted).

Recently went in for an annual vision checkup and discussed the problem with my optometrist.

I'm a right hand, right eye dominant shooter. (Thank you, Lord.)

I'm now a week into wearing 30-day contact lenses -- 20/20 for distance in my left eye; close vision lens for my (dominant) right eye. [Generally, when trying this "monovision" version of contact lenses, the distance lens will be in the dominant eye. For obvious reasons, that was not my goal.]

So far, I'm having a little bit of mixed results. That is, the lenses work beautifully for me in shooting AND everything else except there's a little loss of clarity when reading books or using the computer. I may still be adapting or I may need a slight adjustment to the lens in my right eye (close vision). Still, I'm sticking with it for awhile to see if it improves or I otherwise somehow adjust.

No problems handloading ammo, driving, watching TV, mowing lawn, shopping, etc., etc.

McMillan
07-15-2011, 19:41
Try a sharpie and black out the entire rear sight. I find plain black rears help a ton. If you don't like it wipe it off. That is what sold me on a set of warrens i just got on my 19. I used a sharpie on the rear and was amazed at how my eye went straight to the front sight with the plain black rear.
By the way im right handed left eye dominant with astigmatism to boot.

scattershot
07-15-2011, 21:46
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v103/scattershot/IMGP4505.jpg

This mod to my rear sight seems to help a lot. It's just the standard Glock rear sight, hogged out with a rattail file.