Win 7 (HP for that matter) can't find printer [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Win 7 (HP for that matter) can't find printer

Green_Manelishi
07-05-2011, 16:57
Printer is HP Officejet 6500 connected to router via ethernet. IP 192.168.1.9 (according to the printer). Neither HP software not Win 7 can see the damned printer. "Funnily" a Win Vistah, and OS X, platform can see the printer at 192.168.1.9.

Any ideas?

Pierre!
07-05-2011, 17:08
Hmmm... I lost my HP 3600N not too long ago - Networked version stopped working and had to go USB to the Core workstation. Really messed with my sharing and access.

I was thinking it's a bad network cable, but in the back of my mind something says an Update ate it...

I'm looking for a solution too. Worked great before we changed houses, but I didn't let the movers touch the electronics... so that's why I was thinking cable possibly.

It did seem to work better from the switch downstream from the router... and that just added another wrinkle to the 'figure it out' plan... so I just went USB for now.

We will see what the others say, and roll from there.
Patrick

dotsun
07-06-2011, 06:06
When you say the win7 box can't see it, what exactly do you mean, GM? You have it installed and it shows offline or it's installed and when you print a test page it just never prints?

gemeinschaft
07-06-2011, 06:18
So when you sit at your Win7 machine, with the printer on, can you ping the printer?

Open a Command Prompt and then type: ping 192.168.1.9

This would be the first thing I would try.

If you get ping responses from the printer, I would re-install the printer to an IP Port of 192.168.1.9

Good luck.

Green_Manelishi
07-06-2011, 15:06
Downloaded install file(s) for use on XP machine. It found the printer but can't communicate with same:

Your computer is unable to communicate with your printer at 192.168.1.9. This may be caused by firewall software. If you are using firewall software please verify that UDP port 427 is unblocked for both inbound and outbound traffic.

Win7 did not even bless me with an error message.

Odd I did not have this problem with the Vista platform or the Mac.

If anyone wants to take this to PMs, let me know.

gemeinschaft
07-06-2011, 15:56
Downloaded install file(s) for use on XP machine. It found the printer but can't communicate with same:

Your computer is unable to communicate with your printer at 192.168.1.9. This may be caused by firewall software. If you are using firewall software please verify that UDP port 427 is unblocked for both inbound and outbound traffic.

Win7 did not even bless me with an error message.

Odd I did not have this problem with the Vista platform or the Mac.

If anyone wants to take this to PMs, let me know.

PM sent

Green_Manelishi
07-07-2011, 14:27
The Acer (XP), and the Asus (Win7) are now printing.

I ran a program called AngryIP and found myself wondering why more than one node was called RMS-something or other. And I realized that two of the PCs have/had a user called RMS (my initials). The Acer showed as Acer-blahblahblah.

I've enough experience with DECNet and other stuff to know it's never wise to have more than one child with the same name. So, I renamed the old Compaq to ... get this .... Compaq !!! I renamed the Asus to .... Asus !!! Brilliant, eh?

I then re-attempted to install the printers and VIOLA !!! Fekkin brilliant.

Still, I am curious to know:

why there are two Asus.home nodes.
what is new-host.home
what is new-host-4.home

My suspicion is the new-host.home and new-host-4.home are my Mac; when I shut it down those two nodes no longer exist.

Is it possible one of the asus.home nodes is the two disk drives plugged into its USB?

Thanks all for the help and suggestions.