Ghost 5.0 Tactical connector [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ghost 5.0 Tactical connector

21Carrier
07-05-2011, 18:21
Mas, I realize the subject of lighter trigger pulls have been beaten to death, and I'll try to keep this question somewhat out of that realm. I asked you before about modifying the Glock trigger with an adjustable stop to remove the over-travel, and reduce reset distance. You replied, as I thought, that there should not be a problem with such a modification as long as the trigger pull weight is unmolested.

I duplicated a trigger stop that is sold commercially, and found that it worked well and GREATLY improved my shooting. I did this by drilling out and screwing a set screw in the trigger housing so that it protruded into the slot where the side tab of the cruciform on the trigger bar rides (the drop safety slot). The little set screw could be adjusted to reduce/eliminate over-travel.

The problem was that after a while, the trigger bar would start to slightly catch on the top of the screw. There was a tiny bit of space left above and below the screw because the thinness of the trigger housing forced me to use a tiny screw which didn't completely fill the slot, top to bottom. After pulling the trigger, the trigger bar would catch slightly on the top of the screw, causing the nose of the striker to rub on the trigger bar as the slide moves rearward, and made racking the slide more difficult. While the function of the gun was not affected, I was seeing some wear on the trigger bar, and decided to ditch it.

Because the commercial offerings looked identical to my homemade unit (they still have the small gap above the set screw), I decided to look into a different method of adjusting over-travel. The results were too good to pass up. Then I saw this 5.0 Tactical connector from Ghost, Inc. This connector has a forward-facing tab that you fit by grinding it down to adjust over-travel/reset. It works the same way, but contacts the OTHER side of the cruciform. This seems like the perfect solution, as I see no way it could affect function.

My question is about the pull-weight (sorry, I know). Ghost says it is 5.0lb, and very clearly says, "The GHOST TACTICAL is the first ever PATENTED GLOCK TRIGGER CONNECTOR specifically designed for SELF-DEFENSE, TACTICAL & SWAT APPLICATIONS. . . . . YOU MAY USE THIS CONNECTOR FOR ALL LAWFULL ACTIVITIES."

So, what do you think about a 5.0lb pull-weight instead of the factory 5.5lb? Am I just being too "belt and suspenders", as you would put it? I just really like the design (at least the forward tab), but just wish they would make it 5.5lb. Anyway, thanks for your time. I'm sorry I wrote such a long post for such a simple question. I'm notoriously long-winded, but I felt it necessary to explain exactly why I'm interested in the part. Thanks for making yourself available to answer our sometimes ridiculous questions!

Mas Ayoob
07-05-2011, 21:15
Not a stupid question at all. While I've been happy with the quality I've seen on Ghost products, as you know my big concern with pull weight is giving the other side leverage in a manslaughter or wrongful death case to argue that you were reckless and negligent in lowering pull weight below factory recommendation. While half a pound less doesn't seem like much to us shooters, it will seem like more of an issue to 12 lay people getting the negligence argument from a silver-tongued devil with a license to practice law.

As the ad says, there is indeed no law against it. But I'll be staying with Glock factory recommended trigger systems for SD guns. Am carrying a G31 today with NY-1 module and 5.5 lb connector, roughly 8 pounds total pull weight, and don't feel the least bit disadvantaged by that.

best,
Mas

21Carrier
07-06-2011, 12:34
Thanks, Mas. It still amazes me that I am able to sit here in my own home and get advice from one of the most respected gun and self-defense experts out there. Thanks for your time and answer!