Consumer NAS Rec's [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Consumer NAS Rec's

Highspeedlane
07-06-2011, 06:11
I'm interested in looking into a NAS for the house. I've researched Newegg but the ratings of the units I've looked at leave me wanting to get more input before plunking down the cash.

Basically I'd be looking at something that would let me use a raid 5 across 3 or more drives and is reliable...we all know the difference between commercial durability and longevity and what they produce for Joe-home user.

If you have any brand/models you've been thrilled with and would recommend, please let me know. Thanks.

Pierre!
07-06-2011, 06:45
I run a Windows Home Server - and it's pretty handy!

Does bare metal backup of up to 10 computers on your network. Can be visible on the Internet (DMZ) if you want, you can do remote access (RDC) to your internal computers through the Windows Home Server, run shadow copy service against data directories....

And the list goes on. It's a 'headless' arrangement - once setup no KVM is required, just power and network plug into the beast.

I set my WHS up on an older single core AMD system that was headed out the door... some 3 years ago now.

HP makes a device they call SorageWorks, and ASUS has another device they simply Easystore. They start around $400 and some with 'starter' drives and several open bays for growth.

After seeing a Hitachi THREE TB drive on sale over the weekend for only $119, I am guessing you can really pack some data on these little dudes!

I just can't think what you would back THEM up to! (LOL)

HTH

Patrick

gemeinschaft
07-06-2011, 10:25
I have used FreeNAS to setup a File Server.

Find an old computer tower with lots of Sata Drive Space.

Install a bunch of HDDs in it.

Boot FreeNAS off of USB and then access the web GUI to configure.

It's easy, cheap and it works quite well.

The key is finding a good place to locate the File Server so that it does not get in the way of anything. Once FreeNAS is installed and you hardcode an IP, you won't need a monitor attached to it and you can put it anywhere you want provided that it is attached to the LAN in a location that allows for proper cooling.

Not sure about the in the box solutions, I just build what I need with what I have. LOL

Highspeedlane
07-06-2011, 12:19
Thanks both Pierre! and gemeinschaft. Both very innovative do-it-yourself solutions I had never thought. My thinking immediately went to the box solution.

As for a box solution, I was sort of eying a Netgear product.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822122010

However, your suggestions have altered the way I'm considering this.

Thanks!

gemeinschaft
07-06-2011, 12:54
Thanks both Pierre! and gemeinschaft. Both very innovative do-it-yourself solutions I had never thought. My thinking immediately went to the box solution.

Thanks!

I am sure that it works great, but when putting a price to it, keep in mind that it is just a box, you still have to populate it with drives... At $120 a piece, that more than doubles the price.

Unbridled Rage
07-07-2011, 03:47
I've setup NAS for SOHO, and used both tower (PC) and standalone boxes, and I've come to prefer the standalone boxes for simplicity, noise, and power consumption.

Currently running this thru it's paces:

http://www.drobo.com/index.php

Slick, but looks like I'll have to develop trust of their proprietary RAID system.

JimmyN
07-07-2011, 03:53
I second the recommendation for FreeNAS. Do a search, there are several threads on FreeNAS here in the Tech Talk forums. It just works, you can add drives till you run out of space, it will automatically backup everything on your LAN or even remote systems using rsync, any old computer can be used as it doesn't need much in the way of processing power or memory. I have three of them running on old Pentium P4 computers, one here and two remote, the oldest for about 3 years now with no problems and no down time.

tous
07-07-2011, 05:37

Thanks!

I have two of those in our domain for the causal junk my users wish to archive and they work quiet well. I have 4/2TB, 7,200 RPM HDDs in each for about 7.5 TB worth of storage. I have adult, direct-connect NASes for the good stuff, but they're in the $20,000 + range.

I have had HDD failures and the RAID rebuilt as expected. It takes about 8-10 hours. Smaller HDDs would build faster.

Note well that this is a SOHO product, so it isn't the fastest thing in the world, but a reasonable choice for a home user tot keep videos, music and pr0n. :supergrin:

I give it a thumbs up.

Highspeedlane
07-07-2011, 05:57
Unbridled Rage, JimmyN - Thanks for the additional thoughts on this.

tous - Good to hear info. Between space eating HD video and digital negs from my Canon 50D (20+ Mb each), storage requirements have grown significantly.

I'm also in a long term project, which is the scanning of thousands of 35mm and medium format 6x6 and 6x7 cm negs taken over a period of several decades, to digital.

My present DR strategy is going to be inadequate soon...which is to back up both a system image to one standalone HD as well as the files themselves to a separate, additional stand alone.

I don't have much in the way of suitable spare towers that will work here (would have to buy and build) so the box solution is appealing if for nothing else than a time saver/convenience issue.

Thanks again all.

gemeinschaft
07-07-2011, 06:33
I've setup NAS for SOHO, and used both tower (PC) and standalone boxes, and I've come to prefer the standalone boxes for simplicity, noise, and power consumption.

Currently running this thru it's paces:

http://www.drobo.com/index.php

Slick, but looks like I'll have to develop trust of their proprietary RAID system.

I checked out the videos for Drobo and it looks pretty cool. It almost sounds too good to be true really.

Maybe Santa Claus will bring me one some day.