Backup Questions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Backup Questions

Dr. Leaky
07-06-2011, 07:47
After losing too much when my last machine died I bought an external hard drive and have been using the Windows Vista Backup utility every month. I looked on the drive and see that it consists of a bunch of zip files. The drive is starting to fill up, so my question: Do I need to keep the older versions of backed up information or can I just delete them and re-use the space? I suspect that if I needed to run a system restore it would look at the most recent files only, but I'm not sure. Seems that keeping a current inventory of image, music and text files plus what the most recent backup saved would do it but I need to ask the experts. Thanks.

gemeinschaft
07-06-2011, 10:17
I use a script to perform my backups, this way, it just backups the data that I want to backup, nothing more. It also only copies over the new stuff files.

Here is the link to the discussion: http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=374849&page=3

solomansousana
07-06-2011, 11:40
I use several methods:

1. RAID drives
2. Dell data backup of all documents
3. Standalone hard drive full back up using roxio backup software

Pierre!
07-06-2011, 12:37
The Backup Thing again...

We're glad you asked!

If you are running Vista, you should really consider moving up to Windows 7. The drive imaging built into Windows 7 really works, and that will matter should your hard drive fail, or you decide to replace an existing drive with a bigger or fresher drive.

You have all of the components you require, you just need Windows 7. So check out the MS Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/downloads/upgrade-advisor) and see if your system will handle the upgrade.

Imaging allows you to recover your system *completely* including installed and licensed software with the software keys intact. It is much faster than a reinstall of the system... and a reinstall is exactly what you have to do if you do not have an image of your system.

You can pick up a copy of Acronis which would be less expensive than the Windows 7 upgrade, but Windows 7 has more features that just blow Vista away!

Then there is the ability to use scripting/batch files to automate a backup for your system - for no cost. I use MS RichCopy which allows you to dial in how many files copy at the same time based on your systems capabilities.

The important thing is that you are using backups.

Just in case I haven't made the case for Windows 7, Check out this article if you have time:

Independence Day Independence From Your Hard Drive Can Be YOURS! (http://seeberconsultblog.com/independence-day-independence-from-your-hard-drive-can-be-yours/)

Hope that helps you out...
Fire back with more questions!

Patrick

gemeinschaft
07-06-2011, 12:42
Then there is the ability to use scripting/batch files to automate a backup for your system - for no cost. I use MS RichCopy which allows you to dial in how many files copy at the same time based on your systems capabilities.

If you know the filepath to the sources as well as the filepath to where you want to backup your data, send it to me and I don't have a problem writing the .BAT file to run to backup your data.

Once you test and know it works, just save it to a folder that you create and from the Task Scheduler, you can define when to run the backups. I prefer to run mine during the night from 3am to about 6am.

It doesn't take that long, since I am not copying all files, only the ones that have been added or changed since the last backup.

A Batch file is very simple minded approach, but I like simple. :whistling: