Mozy has a new deal out! So I wrote up a review... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Mozy has a new deal out! So I wrote up a review...

Pierre!
07-06-2011, 20:13
If you are on the fence, this might get you off it...

Been with Mozy since last year this time when my core system started folding up on me...

Just renewed, and couldn't be happier!

Hope you take a few minutes and visit the Seeber Consulting Blog...

The address is around here somewhere... Hmmm....

Oh Yah - My Signature!

Hope it helps YOU out...
Patrick

tcruse
07-10-2011, 20:27
I have no 1st hand experience with this company. in general the information is stored on the companies server located somewhere else, many times in other countries. Privacy rules are very different in other parts of the world. So look over you contract very very carefully, demand that the information or a copy of the information remain in US and maybe your state. In most cases you are responsible for the data not the backup company.

Pierre!
07-10-2011, 21:00
Great point TCruse,

That is why I am so happy that Mozy Home will actually backup to a local disk as well as the cloud!

This allows for rapid local recovery when the local systems are intact. So you are not dependent on only one 'storage facility' to recover your data.

Mozy actually uses Amazon's S3 service which may be distributed outside of the USA.

Thanks for pointing that out!

Patrick

Obi Wan
07-11-2011, 13:09
Great point TCruse,

That is why I am so happy that Mozy Home will actually backup to a local disk as well as the cloud!

This allows for rapid local recovery when the local systems are intact. So you are not dependent on only one 'storage facility' to recover your data.

Mozy actually uses Amazon's S3 service which may be distributed outside of the USA.

Thanks for pointing that out!

Patrick
So please explain why in tarnation I would want to voluntarily put my personal data out "in the cloud" where its security is surely suspect in the long run? Why not make the crooks really work hard to get at it by trying to bust into the hard disks I've got here in my office... with some being unplugged? :dunno:

Pierre!
07-11-2011, 19:49
So please explain why in tarnation I would want to voluntarily put my personal data out "in the cloud" where its security is surely suspect in the long run? Why not make the crooks really work hard to get at it by trying to bust into the hard disks I've got here in my office... with some being unplugged? :dunno:

That's a great question -

It depends on the value of the data, what area of the country you live in, and are you a brick and mortar business...

Here is why:

Houses burn more often than brick and mortar businesses who are required to address Life, Health, and Safety concerns. Both type of locations are subject to Earthquake, Flooding, Hurricanes, Theft and Tornado's for example.

Some areas of the country are prone to certain types of catastrophic events.

This evening on the News here in Arizona they spoke with a man who's home survived the Monument Fire in Sierra Vista. The man was ecstatic that his home was safe!

Unfortunately, the fire denuded the surrounding terrain, and when the Monsoons came yesterday the mudslides and flooding destroyed his home...

If you have the time to run out of the home/business with your direct attached storage, you may actually have your data with you! There is the possibility, if its a true disaster scenario, that your storage device could be lost or damaged in the environment. But let's say you all make it out, and the storage is safe!

Then you are *golden*! :cool:

Many folks have digitized their lives - Insurance files, banking records, music libraries, family photos (some may have sentimental value or can never be recreated), and/or family videos...

Then, what are the chances that the first thing you think of when you are told to evacuate, or see the impending disaster unfolding, that you will grab your boxes of files, boxes of pictures, and priceless LP collection to run out the door? That is usually not the first thing we think of when saving our lives and our families...

If this happens to your business?

You may well realize the loss of your business within 2 to 5 years - Businesses that suffer a major data loss usually are prone to closing in that 2 to 5 years. It just happens that way.

Having data in more than one location is about the only defense you have, and for $60/year, it's very affordable.

Amazon certainly runs a distributed architecture that may span a great portion of the USA... and hosted facilities are rather hardened and would be difficult to *destroy*...

To the best of my knowledge, there has not been a breech of an online data storage facility of this nature. The data is encrypted on the host system and then transmitted over an encrypted Internet connection.

Once at the online storage facility the data remains encrypted.

You have access to your data from anywhere you can install the Mozy software client, or via secured web browser session.

When it comes time to file your claim(s), your documents are protected in another region of the country in a hardened facility and they are readily accessible for retrieval... Not a bad deal when you think about it.

Personally, I am not that crazy about 'The Cloud' either, but there are many ways to create 'The Cloud' ... and I have decided that the potential for loss is worth the calculated risk of placing my data in this particular cloud.

It is a personal decision.

After 53 orbits of the sun, and placing my life/business on the line, I have decided to 'take a chance' on this arrangement.

Did that answer your question?

srhoades
07-11-2011, 20:19
I've have personally been a contract computer guy to another company that had to setup a customers entire network again because crooks broke in with hedge snippers, cut all the cords to ever pc and walked off with them. I've seen that 3 times. An offsite backup would have saved them a lot of man hours in reconstructing all their data.

Obi Wan
07-12-2011, 09:28
You guys make a solid argument for it. I'll concede that. Guess I need to delineate what personal info I wouldn't want to trust 'out there' and figure out an alternative for that.

Thanks. :wavey:

grokdesigns
07-16-2011, 15:18
You guys make a solid argument for it. I'll concede that. Guess I need to delineate what personal info I wouldn't want to trust 'out there' and figure out an alternative for that.

Thanks. :wavey:
It's all encrypted...Mozy even allows you to use your own encryption key. I used CrashPlan to backup locally over my network, as well as to the cloud. You could use it to backup to a remote system that you trust for anything you want to keep private.

boomhower
07-20-2011, 20:19
I just can't get into cloud backups. My internet connection kills it, I have fast download but upload speeds just make the transfer take forever. Fastest my provider offers is ~756kbps. What I have been doing is local back-ups to a Windows Home Server and making DVD's of my pictures/home videos and sending them to my mom to keep in her safe. Music and commercial videos wouldn't be the end of the world in case of a fire.

Pierre!
07-21-2011, 00:21
I just can't get into cloud backups. My internet connection kills it, I have fast download but upload speeds just make the transfer take forever. Fastest my provider offers is ~756kbps. What I have been doing is local back-ups to a Windows Home Server and making DVD's of my pictures/home videos and sending them to my mom to keep in her safe. Music and commercial videos wouldn't be the end of the world in case of a fire.

I also use home server... have been since it first came out.

Not too sure about the new version... Reviews are looking okay, but the disk space and how it's going to be handled keeps me sweating at night... :wow: