Data Recovery on Ricoh Copier [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Data Recovery on Ricoh Copier

gemeinschaft
07-07-2011, 10:25
I just got a call from my old apartment complex about performing data recovery on their Multi-function Copier at another location.

Long story short, if they can prove they faxed something a couple of years ago, it will save them big money.

My plan is to pull the HDD and mount it to see if I can browse any files from that date range. It is a long shot, but they are paying for me to go regardless of what I am able to accomplish.

Anyone have any advice on this one? Is there a certain file format that the Ricoh would save information, is there a certain time limit and the data is erased?

All comments and suggestions are welcome. :cool:

dotsun
07-07-2011, 13:35
I've tried that before without success. I'll be interested to see what you can find.

gemeinschaft
07-07-2011, 16:39
I first tried to find the Service Manual for the MFP, but it was not available online for free.

Once I got to the client's site, I removed the back cover and inspected every inch of the PCB, there was no connections for a Hard Drive, just some RAM memory.

I confirmed with a tech friend of mine that in this particular case, there was not a hard drive and documents only circulated in RAM.

This was a 15ppm copier/printer/fax/scanner.

I guess I'll have to wait until my next opportunity to crack a copier. LOL

At least the client paid my trip charge :whistling:

srhoades
07-07-2011, 16:46
My network HP all in one has a fax log in the web interface of the unit. Was this a USB only printer?

gemeinschaft
07-07-2011, 18:36
My network HP all in one has a fax log in the web interface of the unit. Was this a USB only printer?

No, it was a Ricoh MFP (Print, Scan, Fax, Copier), it had a NIC card and Fax card.

The PCB had no storage devices other than removable RAM, so nothing to recover. :crying::crying:

dotsun
07-07-2011, 19:21
Yup the small ones under 22cpm don't have hdd's. Bummer, I was hoping you'd have better luck than I did.

gemeinschaft
07-07-2011, 19:27
Yup the small ones under 22cpm don't have hdd's. Bummer, I was hoping you'd have better luck than I did.

I have a buddy who picks up copiers and such at auction, I may try one just to see how hard it is. I understand that some manufacturers encrypt the data, so you can retrieve, but it takes special software to crack it... That just tells me it would require more beer. LOL :rofl::rofl:

dotsun
07-08-2011, 05:30
I have a buddy who picks up copiers and such at auction, I may try one just to see how hard it is. I understand that some manufacturers encrypt the data, so you can retrieve, but it takes special software to crack it... That just tells me it would require more beer. LOL :rofl::rofl:

Lemme know how it goes, I couldn't get bt3 to recognize a Ricoh HDD much less read the file system. I didn't have beer, though. :supergrin: