Good belt for ccw [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Good belt for ccw

wolf19r
07-07-2011, 19:14
I'm looking for a good belt for ccw. I know this has been covered a million plus times but I have never found a good belt that did not fall apart after a month or two. Secondly I would like it to have a good secure locking mechanism as the d ring web belts tend to loosen up when I wear them. The third issue is I have no butt. Yes laugh out loud now!

okie
07-07-2011, 19:48
From here my friend:thumbsup:

http://www.looperlawenforcement.com/

G30SF/F-250
07-07-2011, 19:50
I got mine from Comp-Tac and am happy with my purchase.

FatPants
07-07-2011, 19:55
I wear a Wilderness CSM.

Walk Soft
07-07-2011, 19:59
Cabella's Double Duty Belt.I bought two because I noticed it held my pants up better so I wanted one for work too.I discovered a thicker more rigid belt doesn't have to be as tight to hold your pants up to the same level as a lesser belt.

scwine
07-07-2011, 20:38
Look no further than here>>> http://www.thebeltman.net/

mgentry
07-07-2011, 20:42
Beltman makes great belts at a reasonable price. I have two and like both of them.

jtmac
07-07-2011, 21:09
I can vouch for The Beltman.

[Apparently incorrect advice I've heard over and over by people who should know what they're talking about removed.]

jwhite75
07-07-2011, 21:15
My buddy bought two Beltmans they are the real deal. I will be buying a couple very soon.

Thunderhawk88
07-07-2011, 23:02

I have a couple from the beltman. They are great!

NeverMore1701
07-07-2011, 23:04
Beltman for nice, Wilderness for casual. Been using a Wilderness 5-stitch for 6 years now and it's still in great condition.

NickC50310
I have an uncle mikes reinforced instructors belt. It works great and has great reviews. Many reviews state it is as good as the Wilderness stuff at half the price.

Travelin' Jack
I've worn the same Wilderness five stitch instructor belt every day for four years and it still looks great.

Shadyscott69
07-07-2011, 23:05
I can vouch for The Beltman.

For a gun belt, you want something with two layers of leather laid with the grain in each perpendicular to the other. If it doesn't fit those criteria, it's going to wear out fast. If it does, expect it to last if it's made well.

:eyebrow: :shakehead:

Give Al a call.

http://www.agcustomgunleather.com/

jtmac
07-07-2011, 23:11
:eyebrow::shakehead:

:eyebrow: :shakehead:

I'm quoting here. If that is incorrect, please explain why it is incorrect rather than just being insulting.

Shadyscott69
07-07-2011, 23:19
I'm quoting here. If that is incorrect, please explain why it is incorrect rather than just being insulting.

No intention to insult you. Sorry if it seemed so.

I am not going to say they are lying, but I would like to see the width of the hides they are using to turn the leather perpendicular to their "strapping' cuts. That would call for a cow the size of a hippo. Additionally, leather doesn't have a "grain" in the sense that wood does. It wouldn't really do anything to turn the pieces.

NeverMore1701
07-07-2011, 23:23

I am not going to say they are lying, but I would like to see the width of the hides they are using to turn the leather perpendicular to their "strapping' cuts. That would call for a cow the size of a hippo. Additionally, leather doesn't have a "grain" in the sense that wood does. It wouldn't really do anything to turn the pieces.

While I've seen some of the Beltman belts and was quite impressed, I did wonder a bit when I read that quote.

HWA GLOCKER
07-07-2011, 23:28
The Beltman the best!!!

Shadyscott69
07-07-2011, 23:28
While I've seen some of the Beltman belts and was quite impressed, I did wonder a bit when I read that quote.

They make very good stuff. I think that is just voodoo marketing. I wasn't directing my smileys at Jtmac. Just the concept they are hawking.

jtmac
07-07-2011, 23:29

While the "grain" (so to speak) exists at very small levels, I've never had the opportunity to test its resistance to stretching or deforming along any direction. I'll take your word for it since you're the leather expert.

I despise being wrong. That's why I don't actually take stances on things I do not know every detail of, and normally state things behind phrases like "it is my understanding" or "according to", etc... if I say anything at all. On the chance I do say something that's incorrect, I'm glad to be corrected.

NeverMore1701
07-07-2011, 23:34
They make very good stuff. I think that is just voodoo marketing. I wasn't directing my smileys at Jtmac. Just the concept they are hawking.

Any word on that shark? :whistling: :supergrin:

Shadyscott69
07-07-2011, 23:37
Any word on that shark? :whistling: :supergrin:

It is supposed to be here this week. Haven't seen it yet though. I will e-mail you a pic when I get it.

DWARREN123
07-08-2011, 00:41
Two I like and have are Don Hume and one from "The Beltman". The Don Hume is good, around $50 the Beltman is great, around $80. The Don Hume is worth $50 but the Beltman is worth more than its price, very good quality and wears very well.

Both leather, Don Hume is cow hide and the Beltman is bull hide.

Peace Warrior
07-08-2011, 00:43
From here my friend:thumbsup:

http://www.looperlawenforcement.com/
This ^^^ as most all Cops sites have everything you'll ever need to CCW comfortably.

SVTNate
07-08-2011, 01:01
I have.... six Beltman belts? Four? Anyway, I first got my CCW in 2006 or 2007 and have worn a Beltman belt daily since that time. I sent them all back about a year or so ago and had them shortened/re-punched due to weight loss. I wear 'em with or without a gun, golfing, with a suit, literally every day as I own no other belts. No need IMO.

arodgers
07-08-2011, 01:04
Worn my beltman belt daily for 5 years in everything from cargo shorts to a suit. Still looks great and carries like it was new.

IndyGunFreak
07-08-2011, 02:16
If your belts are "falling apart after a month or two"... your not buying gun belts. It's just that simple.

I can give you a lot of opinions, but you really need to post your budget. You can spend anywhere from $50, up to well over 150+ for a high quality belt.

In order for me though, from "Cheapest to Most expensive".....

Wilderness Instructor -- 1.5in, 5stitch. Great belt. The velcro can be totally worn out, and the belt will still hold tight, if you use the buckle correctly. Velcro on mine is pretty well shot (cuz I use it while camping/fishing, and it's gotten wet, a lot).

Aker B21 -- 1.5in leather, w/ a polymer insert for support. Great belt at a really good price. http://www.galls.com has them for $45. This GT'er was an Aker Dealer (you can try PMing him and asking if he still is)... He used to deal in the classifies a lot.... A GT'er whom I trust got a holster through him and was happy w/ the transaction.
http://glocktalk.com/forums/member.php?u=57398

A thread... http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1057049

Best -- Easy, Beltman. Awesome belt. Use it and love it.. You'll never need another one. I've never personally used a Comp-Tac belt, but having seen them, I would put them in this category as well.

sappy13
07-08-2011, 07:14
iv got a wilderness and i love it. i really want a beltman at some point thou, since my wilderness doesnt exactly go great with any type of business attire.

dreis454
07-08-2011, 07:17

this:whistling:

woodasptim
07-08-2011, 08:37
I've been wearing my beltman belt every day for about 3 years now. It still looks great.

RMD
07-08-2011, 09:21
Beltman for nice, Wilderness for casual. Been using a Wilderness 5-stitch for 6 years now and it's still in great condition.

This.

BailRecoveryAgent
07-08-2011, 09:31
CompTac
http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=43

LToled
07-08-2011, 09:55
A proper belt makes a huge difference. Think of it this way. If you buy a good gun belt for $80. It will easily last 10 years. That's $8 a year. If you are replacing an off the rack belt every 2 years, that adds up fast. $80 for a great gun belt that lasts for over a decade is cheaper in the long run. My oldest belt is a horsehide Kramer. I bought it in 1993. I still wear it and I know it holds up any gun I have. I'd say I got my money's worth out of it and then some.

I've got belts from Alessi, Kramer, Wilson/Rafters, Beltman, Wilderness and A&G. There are differences between belts. Some are better finished than others. Some are thicker than others. Some have a curve and some are straight. The way each maker measures fit can be different.

Take for example, Beltman and A&G. I like them because they have a "Quick Ship", which is fantastic. Beltman has a curve whereas A&G is straight. Both are finished pretty close but IMHO, A&G has the slight edge. Both are rigid enough to hold a 1911 and 2 mag pouches easily. Beltman only offers the Quick Ship in Black. A&G offers Black, Dark Brown and Light Brown. You can't go wrong with either of these two fine makers.

NeverMore1701
07-08-2011, 11:14
Also, I'd recommend getting a 1 1/2" width over the 1 3/4". The first Wilderness belt I got (the one that's 6 years old) is a 1 3/4", and while it's a fantastic belt, there are some belt loops that it's just a hair too wide for. When I ordered my Milt Sparks dual mag pouch for christmas last year I opted for 1 1/2" loops, along with new 1 1/2" loops for my 5 year old VM2, and a new Wilderness 5-stitch 1 1/2" belt. It really has opened up my legwear options, just by being able to work with the very slightly narrower belt.

dkf
07-08-2011, 11:54
I've got a Wilderness CSM lined aluminum ring belt. Best belt I ever owned. I'm picking up another one but in 1.5" to keep as a spare. I really like the Wilderness OD color.

BailRecoveryAgent
07-08-2011, 12:04
Also, I'd recommend getting a 1 1/2" width over the 1 3/4". The first Wilderness belt I got (the one that's 6 years old) is a 1 3/4", and while it's a fantastic belt, there are some belt loops that it's just a hair too wide for.

Good point. Both my holsters for OWB carry, a Galco Cop Series, and a Desantis Facilitator both have 1.75" belt slots, but by the time you spread the belt slots wide enough for my thick CompTac belt, the belt slots measure just a pinch over 1.5", and fit nice and tight on the belt.

Bill Lumberg
07-08-2011, 13:01
Good belts don't fall apart. First, you need an actual gunbelt, not a stiff regular belt. A proper gunbelt does not have to be worn too tight to keep the gun stable. The wilderness 5 stitch is excellent, durable, and reasonably priced, and has a secure locking mechanism. Galco, Bianchi, and Looper also make good gunbelts. I'm looking for a good belt for ccw. I know this has been covered a million plus times but I have never found a good belt that did not fall apart after a month or two. Secondly I would like it to have a good secure locking mechanism as the d ring web belts tend to loosen up when I wear them. The third issue is I have no butt. Yes laugh out loud now!

wolf19r
07-09-2011, 14:48
Thanks for the all the advice. Mike

G17gen3
07-09-2011, 15:23

This is your answer

mgentry
07-09-2011, 18:14
Check out Ares Gear - Rave recommends them.

BuckyP
07-09-2011, 20:48
I've been wearing the same Mitch Rosen belt for 11 years. I paid $100, well worth it.

jamaicanj
07-10-2011, 20:42
I have an Ares belt and like it a lot. Took quite a bit of time to get it as the wait was long...but no regrets.

NWGlocker
07-11-2011, 10:23
I have a leather Beltman belt and a Wilderness instructor belt and both are top notch. You can't go wrong with either. My beltman is about 7 years old and it still looks and works great. The Wilderness instructor is nice for fine adjustments. No inbetween belt holes with it. Either will do you fine.

FlyboyLDB
07-11-2011, 11:07

+1 for The Belt Man belts. He has multple colors, his leather holds up, many options for the customer.

I have had mine for 2 plus years of almost daily wear. I would go no where else for my belts.

freeride88
07-11-2011, 16:32
I've worn the same Wilderness five stitch instructor belt every day for four years and it still looks great.

Same here, with the polymer lining.

SeriouslySig
07-12-2011, 17:38
I am a butte-less wonder and love my Belt man belt.

Don't know if it is an issue which might impact you, however: I have a cordovan colored horse hide belt which I use for backpacking in hot weather. Under high sweat conditions, my belt did discolor in the area near the middle of my back.

Not a complaint per se, just wanted you to be aware.

countsk
07-12-2011, 17:44
Ditto on the Beltman.

beforeobamabans
07-12-2011, 19:03
5 Beltmans here. I will buy no other. Get 'em while you can. Jim won't be working forever.

wolf19r
07-12-2011, 21:45
My issue with leather is I have busted several normal belts not carrying or anything like that just normal use. Plus its hot and humid here in FL.

IndyGunFreak
07-12-2011, 22:15
My issue with leather is I have busted several normal belts not carrying or anything like that just normal use. Plus its hot and humid here in FL.

Your issue is with cheap, normal leather. Quality gun belts are dual layer to prevent what you've described above.

You buy a Beltman and snap that belt, then you're using it as a tow strap.

If you don't like leather, thats fine... but comparing a Beltman, to anything you've gotten at Wal Mart/Tractor Supply/JC Penny, is like comparing a Harley to a tricycle.

nickcarr
07-12-2011, 22:21

The best choice!

wolf19r
07-12-2011, 22:23
No I wasn't trying to compare two completely different items. Ive just had a lot of bad luck with leather but I will be ordering a Beltman belt as soon as I get paid. I will definitely post about the Beltman as soon as I get one.

IndyGunFreak
07-12-2011, 22:37
No I wasn't trying to compare two completely different items. Ive just had a lot of bad luck with leather but I will be ordering a Beltman belt as soon as I get paid. I will definitely post about the Beltman as soon as I get one.

Well, just curious, what belts have you snapped? I'll tell you, I've snapped 1 belt from a "quality leather maker" (which I later learned was anything but)....

grahamw
07-12-2011, 22:42
5.11 #59551 $17 at gander mountain

up1911fan
07-13-2011, 14:04
Comp Tac, The Beltman and Wilderness make great belts.

wolf19r
07-14-2011, 12:23
From cheap Walmart to $40 dress belt. I destroy a belt normally wearing it about every 2 months.

Vartarg
07-14-2011, 12:55
http://www.raftersgunleather.com/Belts.htm

IndyGunFreak
07-14-2011, 17:47
From cheap Walmart to $40 dress belt. I destroy a belt normally wearing it about every 2 months.

A $40 Dress belt.. is not a gun belt, unless I'm misunderstanding you. Key thing, they are all single ply, this is why they weaken so quickly. [B]QUALITY]/B] Dual Layer belts, just simply will not do this.

Get a belt that is designed for carrying a gun (which it sounds like you're doing) and your troubles will be over.

IndyGunFreak
07-14-2011, 17:55
http://www.raftersgunleather.com/Belts.htm

Uh... just for posterity sake in case someone likes the look of their stuff, I would STRONGLY recommend Google before ordering w/ them. There was a thread here not to long ago (which I can't find) where a GT'er has been waiting for 2.5yrs on a belt, and has been repeatedly told it will "ship in a few days". Naturally, he paid by Money Order.

Seriously, look somewhere else.

I'm not one much to depend on the BBB for anything, but this is pretty telling... Of the 24 complaints, what were all related to?

http://www.bbb.org/southwestern-missouri/business-reviews/leather/rafter-s-gunleather-in-peace-valley-mo-27690

sciolist
07-14-2011, 20:28
Wilderness and Beltman.

dodgecope89
07-14-2011, 20:49
+1 for the comp-tac belts i got mine a couple of months ago and have been very pleased all except for the price but i guess you get what you pay for right?

mymini40
07-16-2011, 08:39
good choice.all weather too compared to leather.

Agent6-3/8
07-16-2011, 08:44
I use my 5.11 Operator belt almost exclusively now. 1.75" wide, kydex reinforced, super adjustable, like all nylon belts and onyl about $40. Unless I'm wearing something where I need a more dressy belt I've decided that reinforced nylon is the way to go. (and this is commign from a guy that was a hardcore leather fan)

wolf19r
07-16-2011, 12:07
A $40 Dress belt.. is not a gun belt, unless I'm misunderstanding you. Key thing, they are all single ply, this is why they weaken so quickly. [B]QUALITY]/B] Dual Layer belts, just simply will not do this.

Get a belt that is designed for carrying a gun (which it sounds like you're doing) and your troubles will be over.

I'm looking for a good belt that I can carry with and wear when I have to leave the gun behind. I'm not carrying with these cheap belts because I destroy them with normal use. Right now I pocket carry an LCP due to my lack of being able to carry a Glock.

JuneyBooney
07-16-2011, 12:20

Good belts are hard to find. I have actually broken a belt while packing heat and didn't have a spare with me. :whistling: Kind of a situation. :rofl: